X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: AP poll

Mechelle Voepel has us at 19

http://voepel.wordpress.com/2008/12/...point-of-view/

Also, in that post she mentions Vicki Friedman who's been the biggest fan of the Jacks in the AP ballots thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      She is a Basketball analyst for Westwood One. No excuse. Wished we had an e-mail address!
      Well, after some searching I found a web cast that she has with beth mowins.

http://www.wbca.org/Archive.asp

on that page there are links to myspace and facebook.

http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?...7764C042726200

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=38533825442

and from the facebook page they have an email address for the webcast program

shootaround@wbca.org

Comment

Originally posted by jacks nl View Post
        Well, after some searching I found a web cast that she has with beth mowins.

http://www.wbca.org/Archive.asp

on that page there are links to myspace and facebook.

http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?...7764C042726200

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=38533825442

and from the facebook page they have an email address for the webcast program

shootaround@wbca.org
        You have to listen to the 12/17/08 webcast. At the end of the webcast "The little big game of the week" Beth and Debbie talk a little bit about the SDSU valpo game and beth even thinks that debbie should vote for state in the next poll (today's poll).

Comment

From FoxCollegeSports.com

South Dakota St joins AP women's poll

Updated: December 22, 2008, 1:47 PM EST

add this RSS blog email Print
          South Dakota State has joined The Associated Press women's basketball poll for the first time. The Jackrabbits have a 12-1 record and enter the rankings at No. 25.

Connecticut remained a unanimous No. 1 for the fourth straight week Monday. This is the 113th time in school history the Huskies have been the top team in the poll. Connecticut matched Tennessee as the all-time leader of appearances at No. 1. North Carolina stayed at No. 2. Texas A&M, Texas and Oklahoma completed the top five.

Comment

Also from Fox Sports

South Dakota St ranked for first time

Updated: December 22, 2008, 6:21 PM EST

add this RSS blog email Print
            South Dakota State is ready to step into the national spotlight.

The Jackrabbits earned the first ranking in school history when they came into The Associated Press poll at No. 25 on Monday.
            UConn was No. 1 for the 113th time in school history, surpassing Tennessee which had 112 weeks at the top spot.
            South Dakota State (12-1) became the first school from the Summit League (formerly the Mid-Continent Conference) to be ranked since Northern Illinois was 25th in the final poll in 1993.
            "It's wonderful for the university to go from a regional institution to a national one," coach Aaron Johnston said. "It's a great opportunity and will open up some doors and other scheduling opportunities."
            UConn remained an unanimous No. 1 for the fourth straight week.
            "Whenever I'm reminded of things like that, and it's likely a character flaw of mine, is that I always think, along with what is, about what could have been," Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma said of the record after winning the Caribbean Classic on Sunday. "All I can think about is all those times we were No. 1 in the polls and had the best team in the country and didn't come away with the national championship."
            North Carolina stayed at No. 2. Texas A&M, Texas and Oklahoma each moved up a spot after then-No. 3 Stanford lost at Duke and Tennessee.
            The Blue Devils rose to sixth and Baylor remained in seventh, giving the Big 12 four of the top seven teams.
            The Bears were supposed to play No. 13 California on Monday night, but Baylor was stranded in Portland after beating Oregon on Saturday night. The game most likely won't be able to be rescheduled with both teams starting conference play soon.
            "I hate that we can't play them as you always want to play good teams," Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said. "Go on the road and see how good you are. We can't get to their area to play. What's most important is the safety of our basketball team."
            A week after seeing its streak of 211 consecutive weeks in the Top 10 end, Tennessee climbed back to No. 8.
            Auburn and Louisville flipped places to round out the first 10.
            Stanford fell all the way to No. 11 after losing at Duke and in overtime to Tennessee. Notre Dame and California switched places and Maryland and Rutgers swapped as well.
            Virginia, Ohio State, Florida, Pittsburgh, and Vanderbilt were the next five. Florida beat Pittsburgh on Sunday.
            Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Georgia Tech, Arizona State, and South Dakota State rounded out the poll.
            After a very successful stint in Division II, the Jackrabbits made the move to Division I. This is the first season that South Dakota State will be eligible for the NCAA tournament. The Jackrabbits' lone loss this season came against then-No. 10 Maryland in the Cancun Caribbean Challenge. TCU was the lone team to fall out. The Horned Frogs lost their only game this week to then-No. 4 Texas A&M.

Comment

All good stuff! Thanks for the posts and the links. I have been telling everyone I see about the Jacks WBB team and program.
              Proud to be a JACK!

Comment

This is a pretty large jump for not only the women's progam, but all the SoDakSt sports. This puts the Jackrabbit name into numerous papers and on television which will open more doors for recruiting.

We will all know that the Women's team has finally made it when being in the top 25 is no longer news, but an every year occurance...

GB, GB, GJ
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

# 21 in the coaches poll this week.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...l/usatpoll.htm

Comment

Same story as somebody else posted, but there's now a like to it next to the SDSU logo on the ESPN women's basketball home page...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=3787441

Merry Christmas, fellow Jacks!
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

i think with the south dakota state u women's team , it should really be a boon for attendance, both at home & on the road for people to come out & see top 25 basketball, it hasn't been the case for the last 15 yrs in the conference, it,ll help the summit gain some respect nationally , help with recruiting, etc., this is really a big thing to come along not only for sdsu, but the entire conferance.Every game they play from here on out should be if front of pretty good crowds....let's take some dancing lesson's
                      Last edited by shinman; 12-28-2008, 01:12 PM. Reason: factual error

Comment

Arizona goes down to Nebraska yesterday. Jacks should move up to #24 in the AP.

Comment

Up to #24!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/rankings

Comment

Originally posted by royalrabbit18 View Post
                            Nice way to start Royal 18!

Welcome to the board!

Comment

I know I'm stating the obvious, but I've been a Jackrabbit women's hoop fan since 200 people showed for the old 6pm NCC doubleheaders; I am not an SDSU grad(wish I was); but I literally 'smile out loud' everytime I look at the Top25 polls and see "South Dakota State".

I know the day will come when we might not be there, but in this moment the map of college women's basketball has shifted....to a little spot on the prairie where many have not been...I can't wait for ESPN/CBS/ABC to show up on the doorstep and reveal to the rest of the nation how our own little engine said 'I think I can', and did!

I don't want to be too overly optimistic, but what if, just what if...you tuned in the Final 4 and saw SoDakSt!???
                              And I thought StJoseph, MO was big!

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitears View Post
                                I don't want to be too overly optimistic, but what if, just what if...you tuned in the Final 4 and saw SoDakSt!???
                                And I thought StJoseph, MO was big!
                                When a pitcher is closing in on a no hitter, his teamates keep their distance and avoid discussing the possibilities and jinxing the pitcher.......one game at a time is crucial at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X