AP poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: AP poll

Not-too-unlikely possible losses by AP Top 25 teams (ranked 15-25) this week:

DePaul (24, 17-5) at Notre Dame (19, 16-4)
    Xavier (23, 19-4) at Richmond (16-6)
    Pittsburgh (22, 16-4) vs. Notre Dame (19, 16-4)
    Iowa State (21, 16-4) at Texas A&M (10, 17-3)
    Vanderbilt (20, 17-5) at Mississippi State (16-6)
    Notre Dame (19, 16-4) at Pittsburgh (22, 16-4), vs. DePaul (24, 17-5)
    Kansas State (18, 18-2) at Baylor (8, 17-3)
    Virginia (17, 18-4) vs. Duke (4, 17-2)
    Texas (16, 15-5) at Oklahoma State (nr, 14-5)
    Florida State (15, 18-4) vs. Maryland (13, 16-4), at Boston College (17-4)

Murphy's Law prediction: Oklahoma State upsets Texas, which might give OSU the votes to knock SDSU out of the AP Top 25.

However, DePaul will probably get beat at Notre Dame, and Xavier might lose at Richmond, either of would likely keep SDSU in the poll.

Also, I note there is a separation that has developed between SDSU, getting 94 votes, and Oklahoma State, just out of the poll getting 39 votes.
    Last edited by filbert; 02-02-2009, 03:35 PM. Reason: Misspelled "lose." Aargh.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

garbage. That is doing absolutely zero homework on the parts of the sports writers of the AP. Garbage. 20-2 at least deserves a look into our schedule to see who we beat and what our story is. From there you should be able to gather enough info to make an informed vote that SDSU belongs in the top 20.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Go take an in depth look at which teams have played won/loss etc... there are teams in the AP poll that have lost by 15 or more points to teams with similar records... but still are ranked 7-10 places above them...

the AP voters are not doing their homework... pure and simple... they are voting by name recognition and who they THINK is good or better than others... rather than what is being played on the court.

I am just going to take the nod as what it is... people outside of our area are starting to know who we are...

If/When the ladies are in the NCAA Tournament it will only help that... when they win a game or two or three.... it will be reflected next year.

WBB is a jumbled mess of who has defeated and lost to whom this year... if the AP voters haven't been keeping close track there is no way to do it... I started a chart tracking just to see how I would personally rank teams and by the time I got to number 6 I think, there were already a ton of crossed lines...

I will take #25 in the country... esp. since in my mind there is #1 and then there is 2-30 all at about the same level... battle it out, roll dice, etc. . . to decide where you are going to place people... it is all subjective... the real statements will come in March when those teams who are for real (SDSU) and those who are pretenders... start dropping out of the tournament.

Comment

I found the ONE ballot with San Diego State on it for this week. Dave Trimmer of the Spokane Spokesman-Review had them at 18 and did not have us ranked. That would be all 8 points that they recieved. If he ment us instead of them, then that would put us back into #24.

EDIT:
          I did find that last week he had us listed in 18th. So I don't know if its just the AP people that are giving San Diego State our votes if they just write SDSU or what the deal is..
          Last edited by SDSU_TUBA; 02-03-2009, 01:40 PM.
          Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA View Post
            I found the ONE ballot with San Diego State on it for this week. Dave Trimmer of the Spokane Spokesman-Review had them at 18 and did not have us ranked. That would be all 8 points that they recieved. If he ment us instead of them, then that would put us back into #24.

EDIT:
            I did find that last week he had us listed in 18th. So I don't know if its just the AP people that are giving San Diego State our votes if they just write SDSU or what the deal is..
            Something amiss there. David Trimmer has been a GOOD Jackrabbit voter after we beat Gonzaga. That appears to be a mis-interpretation of his SDSU vote.

Comment

I find it eminently believable that the person (an intern?, maybe) in the AP offices who is responsible for tabulating up the poll scores sees "SDSU" on a ballot and automatically assumes San Diego State University.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                I find it eminently believable that the person (an intern?, maybe) in the AP offices who is responsible for tabulating up the poll scores sees "SDSU" on a ballot and automatically assumes San Diego State University.
                Eminently believable because that is exactly what happened with Deb Antonelli, who I had written to about her vote for San Diego State, and she noted later in her comment that she had written down SD State, and the AP interpeted it as San Diego State. Dang it!!

P.S. I've written to Dave Trimmer and I am absolutely sure that someone at the AP messed up in interpreting his ballot!
                Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 02-03-2009, 06:05 PM. Reason: Add a P.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Eminently believable because that is exactly what happened with Deb Antonelli, who I had written to about her vote for San Diego State, and she noted later in her comment that she had written down SD State, and the AP interpeted it as San Diego State. Dang it!!

P.S. I've written to Dave Trimmer and I am absolutely sure that someone at the AP messed up in interpreting his ballot!
                  And if it happens again they should have to send out a corrected poll

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

By The Associated Press

In a Feb. 2 story about the AP women's college basketball poll and the accompanying Top 25 agate, The Associated Press reported erroneously that DePaul was No. 24 and South Dakota State was last, at No. 25.

Due to a clerical error, one South Dakota ballot was counted for San Diego State. The correct standing moves South Dakota State up one place to No. 24 and drops DePaul to No. 25.

San Diego State, which was listed among other schools receiving votes, dropped off the ballot completely.

Comment

I wish I had said they should have to pay off my mortgage.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Of course, they misidentified us again in the correction.

Comment

OTOH, how would you like to be an Aztecs player, administrator, coach, or fan?

Comment

It was a human error, and once it was pointed out to the proper AP folks it was corrected.

Wink wink.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              OTOH, how would you like to be an Aztecs player, administrator, coach, or fan?
                              Probably thinking, "Gosh, how dumb are they at the AP? For about the second time in 4 weeks during the middle of winter they confused San Diego with South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post
                                By The Associated Press

In a Feb. 2 story about the AP women's college basketball poll and the accompanying Top 25 agate, The Associated Press reported erroneously that DePaul was No. 24 and South Dakota State was last, at No. 25.

Due to a clerical error, one South Dakota ballot was counted for San Diego State. The correct standing moves South Dakota State up one place to No. 24 and drops DePaul to No. 25.

San Diego State, which was listed among other schools receiving votes, dropped off the ballot completely.
                                So they actually corrected the error? Yee HAW!

Comment

Working...
                                X