Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABSLLUTELY farmer) i guess that is what i was trying to say. i can totally understand that sometimes kids OR the people who advise them, parents, coaches, etc... have OTHER reasons to want a particular school. and if alexis is a LONG TIME husker fanatic and was her dream to go there i would NEVER fault her for that or fault any other recruit who makes those choices for similar reasons. absolutely not trying to rip alexis, simply using her situation as an example. i wish her the absolute best!! from everything i have seen and heard i think she is gonna be a really good one!! would loved to have her be a jackrabbit

it is sad if it is advisors not kids making these decisions. for instance when i was in texas coaching i had the best kid i ever coached there (was middle school coach at that time) all ready to go to usf. was right at the time when they kept losing in semifinal games for stupid reasons like Kortan getting hurt etc. he was a little too small for sdsu but would have been a superstar at usf, team captain material etc... his hs coach who had done NOTHING to help him with recruiting to that point got wind of it and said absolutely not. you cannot play football in SD. coach made one call to hardin simmons and kid went there. all american as freshman but the coaches did not give a crap about him as person like they would have at usf. wont get into all that but was all down hill from there and supporting coaches would have helped a lot

point i am making is that kids make decisions for LOT of reasons. some are fine and some are just BAD. i always told my kids go to a school they care about you first as person, they EXPECT you to go to class and get an education, and they want you to be the best most successful athlete you can be. and if you have any options at all between schools like that then choose the school where you will get to WIN lots of games bc college athletics is a lot lot LOT of work and it is much easier to do that work when you get to win!!!!

not only WBB but MBB and FB and many of our other programs fulfill all those goals!! and there are NOT tons of schools that can say that. it seems that that is becoming more obvious all the time and as long as kids get even decent advice and they want to be part of the most successful programs possible then the jacks will continue to get more and more of the better and better athletes

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
      ABSLLUTELY farmer) i guess that is what i was trying to say. i can totally understand that sometimes kids OR the people who advise them, parents, coaches, etc... have OTHER reasons to want a particular school. and if alexis is a LONG TIME husker fanatic and was her dream to go there i would NEVER fault her for that or fault any other recruit who makes those choices for similar reasons. absolutely not trying to rip alexis, simply using her situation as an example. i wish her the absolute best!! from everything i have seen and heard i think she is gonna be a really good one!! would loved to have her be a jackrabbit

it is sad if it is advisors not kids making these decisions. for instance when i was in texas coaching i had the best kid i ever coached there (was middle school coach at that time) all ready to go to usf. was right at the time when they kept losing in semifinal games for stupid reasons like Kortan getting hurt etc. he was a little too small for sdsu but would have been a superstar at usf, team captain material etc... his hs coach who had done NOTHING to help him with recruiting to that point got wind of it and said absolutely not. you cannot play football in SD. coach made one call to hardin simmons and kid went there. all american as freshman but the coaches did not give a crap about him as person like they would have at usf. wont get into all that but was all down hill from there and supporting coaches would have helped a lot

point i am making is that kids make decisions for LOT of reasons. some are fine and some are just BAD. i always told my kids go to a school they care about you first as person, they EXPECT you to go to class and get an education, and they want you to be the best most successful athlete you can be. and if you have any options at all between schools like that then choose the school where you will get to WIN lots of games bc college athletics is a lot lot LOT of work and it is much easier to do that work when you get to win!!!!

not only WBB but MBB and FB and many of our other programs fulfill all those goals!! and there are NOT tons of schools that can say that. it seems that that is becoming more obvious all the time and as long as kids get even decent advice and they want to be part of the most successful programs possible then the jacks will continue to get more and more of the better and better athletes
      It's the same thing we kind of want from a SD kid. Stay at home and become a legend so to speak. But damn, Alexis could most likely made SDSU a machine. Unless their recruiting class is top notch she is likely giving up some potential top end. That sucks for us, but just like DJJ on the mens side, maybe another door will open for us?

Comment

• i would say there are SIMILARITIES but NOT the same thing. if we had a SD kid who has a chance to go to perennial final 4 team. then i would hope they also DO care about them as person and care about education. not just looking at them as property for the benefit of the school, and those schools DO still exist. i have seen it in recruiting and playing experiences of my kids. in that case comparing such a school to SDSU i totally understand the kid who chooses that school!! and never question that decision.

SDSU is at the point where they are moving toward that and very near an annual sweet 16 contender on a trajectory for more. if local kid wants to be part of the fuel that facilitates and or accelerates that GREAT but they do NOT owe that to the state in any way! and would not fault them for a moment to choose an oregon, baylor, etc...

the difference with the husker situation is she has to be choosing that for TOTALLY NOT BASKETBALL reasons. that is NOT a program that has shown ANY evidence of a turnaround. of course she can go there, and i have already said i wish her the best. and she definitely might put up good individual numbers. but absolute BEST case scenario they win 50-60% of games her freshman year with minimal to slightly better progress in following years. probably BEST hope is to make ONE ncaa with ZERO chance to make more than 2. meanwhile the jacks will probably win about 85% of their games and make it to 4 ncaa tourney in that time and anything less than 3 would mean a big pile of injuries or some kind of totally unexpected tragic circumstances

basically if we ask SD kids to stay in SD and become a jackrabbit we are asking them to come to a program that is already among the VERY BEST all around programs in the country and a team who at worst is borderline top 25 team and moving toward the most elite teams and annually fighting to be top 10-20 team in the country
        in nebraska they are just asking them to go to the d1 school in their home state bc the school is in their state

Comment

• When (not if) Amy Williams leaves in the next several years, Alexis will ponder "what-if" when comparing NCAA tournament appearances. Three from a highly touted 2019 recruiting class left en masse - smell smoke? Another left mid-year for Quinnipiac - go figure...

Recruiting is always hit-or-miss, even at UConn. Anywhere, recruiting mistakes explode in transfers, in team chemistry fires and with non-contributors riding the pine. Successful coaches find 2/3 players in each class, to fill rotations, cover injuries, and push hard for floor time. Recent NU letter-of-intent signees are not likely to impress now or later. Originating in 7 states and Australia, the 2021 roster has one NE player, a walk-on. Which could mean that regional talent was either not offered or not interested.
          :
          Winning against regional teams is a sore point. Fans do not like the Hawkeyes but Iowa has a 10-3 edge in recent games. POW!
          Creighton WBB has a 5-yr win streak vs the Huskers; the Blue Jays will have two SD players on the 2021-22 roster. BOOM!
          Minnesota is 5-4; NU's last win found the Gophers without their top 3 scorers in Indianapolis. OMGosh!

I've loved Husker sports all my life; WBB at Lincoln is a hot mess. Go Jacks!! Keep building legends from regional talents!!
          Last edited by GrandpaLee; 03-15-2021, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• i would extend that to say that sports at UNL is a mess or at least the big 3. in purely terms of winning and losing, basically what i have already described, i dont think there is any good reason to choose the huskers over the jacks in any of the sports

one additional factor in MBB and FB of course is players who have dreams of professional sports careers get to play more games against more players who might play at that level. so that erases some questions about competition, but it is and really has been for a LONG TIME, true that pro teams will find talent if you are good enough. the list of professional legends and just professional players from outside the P5 ranks is very long

i cannot say i have ever been a husker fan and definitely never a big red fanatic, but it is sad what they have become. not a fan but i definitely had a LOT of respect for the program!!!!! and it seems in BAD shape with very little sign of the good times coming back. seems to me this is pretty directly linked to the decision to leave the big 12 go to big 10. good warning to the jacks and others about the importance of continued good hirings in the positions that make those decisions

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
              When (not if) Amy Williams leaves in the next several years, Alexis will ponder "what-if" when comparing NCAA tournament appearances. Three from a highly touted 2019 recruiting class left en masse - smell smoke? Another left mid-year for Quinnipiac - go figure...

Recruiting is always hit-or-miss, even at UConn. Anywhere, recruiting mistakes explode in transfers, in team chemistry fires and with non-contributors riding the pine. Successful coaches find 2/3 players in each class, to fill rotations, cover injuries, and push hard for floor time. Recent NU letter-of-intent signees are not likely to impress now or later. Originating in 7 states and Australia, the 2021 roster has one NE player, a walk-on. Which could mean that regional talent was either not offered or not interested.
              :
              Winning against regional teams is a sore point. Fans do not like the Hawkeyes but Iowa has a 10-3 edge in recent games. POW!
              Creighton WBB has a 5-yr win streak vs the Huskers; the Blue Jays will have two SD players on the 2021-22 roster. BOOM!
              Minnesota is 5-4; NU's last win found the Gophers without their top 3 scorers in Indianapolis. OMGosh!

I've loved Husker sports all my life; WBB at Lincoln is a hot mess. Go Jacks!! Keep building legends from regional talents!!
              Thanks for the insight about N WBB. It sure sounds like it is a bad deal in the making.

Comment

• The Jacks don't want to be known as a program that gives up on players, but if Hirschmann and Ferrand want playing time, they may need to look elsewhere.

With the young posts, it'll be hard for them to see much playing time next year even with the injuries.

Comment

• i hear ya AZ, but i do not think the jacks have ever taken a scholarship away bc the player did not live up to on the floor hopes or expectations. i could be wrong but i do not think so. i think if they are good kids and good teammates and they show up to practice every day with good attitudes and they work hard to be the best they can be and therefore push those in front of them, then fulfilling the contract of the scholarship is the correct and honorable thing to do

that is why scouting/ recruiting is so important. scholarships are limited and you cannot MISS on too many of them. THAT SAID, i have said many times i ABSOLUTELY do believe that OUR programs care about these kids FIRST as people!! i think if the kids wanted to find an opportunity where they could get on the floor more, i think the jacks would do what they could to help them find a place to be successful and they would wish them the best

but if they want to stay at sdsu for everything that we all beleive is so great about OUR SCHOOL i really do not think the coaches sit around wishing they would leave

we have 2 excellent prospects arriving next year, if one or both of them can shoot as we hope, even without myah yesterday, you add 2 good shooters and we very likely win that game. hopefully myah will be back for all or at least most of next year. i will take my chances with that group

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
                    When (not if) Amy Williams leaves in the next several years, Alexis will ponder "what-if" when comparing NCAA tournament appearances. Three from a highly touted 2019 recruiting class left en masse - smell smoke? Another left mid-year for Quinnipiac - go figure...

:

Was one of these 3 Leigha Brown from Mich, who just scored 28 pts against FGCU in their opening NCAA Tournament game ? Ya, that's rough, hard to cope with losing the players you need to move the program forward. Amy's got to figure that out if she wants to keep her job.

Comment

• Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      Was one of these 3 Leigha Brown from Mich, who just scored 28 pts against FGCU in their opening NCAA Tournament game ? Ya, that's rough, hard to cope with losing the players you need to move the program forward. Amy's got to figure that out if she wants to keep her job.
                      Amy might be missing something on the recruiting side if she is losing players on a regular basis. Nebraska is a big different than Vermillion for environment for players and boosters.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

• I don’t think we have ever rescinded a scholarship due to lack of improvement. However, you wonder if in this new environment where players are showing more limited loyalty and being given more freedom of movement that there may not be more of a trend that way. I think players should have the right to pursue their dreams and play/go to school where they can be successful. But on the flip side, shouldn’t a school that is spending money on you be able to decide that if you don’t contribute to them on the court that they can’t look to replace you with someone who can? It’s maybe a harsh reality, but welcome to the real world. Idk, seems like the NCAA is run like a business, so college teams may start to do the same thing. I’m not saying I advocate this, but maybe this is something we start to see more of moving forward. Feel free to discuss!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                          I don’t think we have ever rescinded a scholarship due to lack of improvement. However, you wonder if in this new environment where players are showing more limited loyalty and being given more freedom of movement that there may not be more of a trend that way. I think players should have the right to pursue their dreams and play/go to a school where they can be successful. But on the flip side, shouldn’t a school that is spending money on you be able to decide that if you don’t contribute to them on the court that they can’t look to replace you with someone who can? It’s maybe a harsh reality, but welcome to the real world. Idk, seems like the NCAA is run like a business, so college teams may start to do the same thing. I’m not saying I advocate this, but maybe this is something we start to see more of moving forward. Feel free to discuss!
                          I see your point, but if a school gets the reputation of pulling the rug out from beneath their recruit's feet. I'm afraid that one player you desperately would like to land, maybe she/him are agonizing over their choice between the Jacks and another school, Jacks betray recruits (hypothetical) and the other doesn't (hypothetical), well that could prove to be the deciding factor to losing that recruit, but, if all schools do it, it wouldn't. Glad I don't have to make those type of decisions, but, just guessing, I think our coaches are more in favor of the recruit than the program, both are important, but honoring a recruits decision to take your offer is more on the coach than the recruit, in my opinion, they have to be really sure of who they offer a scholarship so that these types of decisions don't have to be made. That said, sometimes it works the opposite, someone you think you made a mistake on will finally wake up and show you the hidden potential you thought they had all along. Life's hidden mystery's sometimes don't reveal themselves on your timetable.

Comment

• i kind of alluded to some of this at various times so i really will try to be brief

i have seen kids recruited by MANY schools. the jacks are one of a NOT big % who tell kids first thing is we want and expect you to be a good person, we want and expect you to get an education, we want and expect you to be the best athlete that you can be and we will do everything in our power to help you accomplish that in your time at SDSU and beyond. i have seen it many times the difference at sdsu and other schools. that is what they say and that is what they do

so i cannot say a scholarship has NEVER been withdrawn or will never be. but i have NO DOUBT there will be a lot more to it than simple on court/ field performance. OF COURSE the jacks see ability in thier recruits to be excellent. and that is what they hope for and do all they can to help make it happen. they also know sometimes it does not work for whatever reason. but they also see more in kids than just what they do ON COURT

kids can still be great teammates and great jackrabbits without being great players and sometimes, maybe often times those kids are a big part of what makes great teams and great programs

i will remember the name as soon as i get off here, but there is a story about a FB kid who never started a game that illustrates this perfectly. i will probably try to tell later but since i am trying to keep this brief)) i wont now

anyway unless there is a huge and terrible change in philosophy by school, ath dept, coaches, etc i dont think we will ever see this happening on anything resembling a regular basis at sdsu

Comment

• and i know that is not how it is done at most of big schools, but YES the commitment is bigger on the school side. in theory schools are supposed to be helping kids prepare for life after school. if a kid thinks that a different school will be better for them, the school should ALWAYS want what is best for the kid. NOT the other way around.

if a school follows that, then once a kid commits then the school supports them as long as they want to stay and be the best person, student, athlete they can be

and the kids name was Burkhardt. backup QB for the jacks from RTR in minnesota. think he graduated about 2008. believe it was his senior year the jacks beat bison last game of year to win the conference title and the marker. i know his story a bit bc i coached against him in HS and he was an incredible young man

Comment

• Just watched a story about Chad Greenways daughter. She is averaging 20 points as a 7th grader on her varsity team! Can we offer a 7th grader!

https://www.kare11.com/article/sport...0-6238b7773bae
                                Last edited by 98Jackfarmer; 03-24-2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X