This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by salemjack View Post
    Keep your eyes on Claire Sheppard, class of 2024, out of Flandreau. Impressive young player. Already 6’1 and has a really diverse game. Willing to post up down low and has a nice shot from outside. Seems quick and makes a lot of plays on the defensive end. Flandreau seems to have a good program going over there and looks like they have a real good freshman class right now. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have some nice state tournament runs with Sheppard leading the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SDSU (as well as USD) has shown interest in Sheppard for the past year or so. Also keep an eye out for Katie Vasecka, a 6'1 freshman guard from Tea who just transferred in from MN. She is averaging 19 PPG for the 8-4 Titans, and has taken them from a decent/good team to a legitimate state contender.

In addition, those with SDSU offers, Emilee Fox (2024, MV-P), Hilary Behrens (2023, BV), and Avery Broughton (2024, Corsica-Stickey), have had some monster seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post

Is that Brendans daughter? Brendan played basketball at DWU?

I believe so. He is the boys head coach in Flandreau.

Comment

• Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post

SDSU (as well as USD) has shown interest in Sheppard for the past year or so. Also keep an eye out for Katie Vasecka, a 6'1 freshman guard from Tea who just transferred in from MN. She is averaging 19 PPG for the 8-4 Titans, and has taken them from a decent/good team to a legitimate state contender.

In addition, those with SDSU offers, Emilee Fox (2024, MV-P), Hilary Behrens (2023, BV), and Avery Broughton (2024, Corsica-Stickey), have had some monster seasons.
        Broughton is actually class of 2023 and just suffered a torn ACL.

Comment

• link to watch BV's Hillary Behrens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXG606XY8vg
          Last edited by ringthebells; 01-23-2021, 06:38 PM.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

• SDSU and USD both offer Claire Sheppard.

Comment

• Coaches must be paying attention to my posts

Comment

• It's really nice to see talent in SD that looks to be of D1 caliber. I understand that AJ likes the long versatile players and it's hard to argue with past results. But this team is in desperate need of an influx of perimeter shooters. As a team we are shooting less than .300 from behind the arc, so we really need to have some players who can punish a team from packing it in down low. I haven't watched the younger players listed here live, so someone who has can maybe speak more intelligently on that than I can. But IMO we need to prioritize some shooters in the next couple classes to offset the last couple classes which seem to have focused more on length and inside play at the expense of perimeter shooting. We need balance.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                  It's really nice to see talent in SD that looks to be of D1 caliber. I understand that AJ likes the long versatile players and it's hard to argue with past results. But this team is in desperate need of an influx of perimeter shooters. As a team we are shooting less than .300 from behind the arc, so we really need to have some players who can punish a team from packing it in down low. I haven't watched the younger players listed here live, so someone who has can maybe speak more intelligently on that than I can. But IMO we need to prioritize some shooters in the next couple classes to offset the last couple classes which seem to have focused more on length and inside play at the expense of perimeter shooting. We need balance.
                  Maybe I have rose colored glasses on? But I think Maddi V will become a very effective perimeter shooter. It seems to me as the season has progressed and she has settled in she will be ok. That doesn't solve all of our troubles there though. Kinda missing the target on the now junior class hurts, other than Paiton.

Comment

• Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

Maybe I have rose colored glasses on? But I think Maddi V will become a very effective perimeter shooter. It seems to me as the season has progressed and she has settled in she will be ok. That doesn't solve all of our troubles there though. Kinda missing the target on the now junior class hurts, other than Paiton.
                    Stapleton was supposed to be a 3 pt threat, but has been off this year and passed in the rotation it seems. AJ has said Byom is a good 3 pt shooter, but haven't seen much from her there yet.

Really need Theunick and Greer to get going again, this team will struggle to score against elite competition without an outside threat.

Comment

• Sellend, Irwin, & Nelson getting hot on the perimeter, + Thueninck and Greer and anyone else who can hit at least 1 in the game, if they don't overdo it on attempts might get us through hopefully this year. Haliegh Timmer and Page Meyer hopefully will raise our percentage in '21 and Ellie Colbeck class of '22 coming up is a really good outside shooter in HS. Only lose Tylee after this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

I don't disagree at all. She has really grown into that role since conference play opened. It has been nice to see here gain confidence and play a vital role on this team that honestly needs to continue to grow as the season progresses.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZjack View Post

Stapleton was supposed to be a 3 pt threat, but has been off this year and passed in the rotation it seems. AJ has said Byom is a good 3 pt shooter, but haven't seen much from her there yet.

Really need Theunick and Greer to get going again, this team will struggle to score against elite competition without an outside threat.
                          3 Point Shooting
                          Greer- First 2 games 6/10 (60%), since then 7/40 (18%)
                          Theunick- First 4 games 9/13 (69%), since then 6/32 (19%)

So obviously the initial game stretch was an outlier and likely the recent struggles are a bit as well. But in looking at their careers neither play is much over a 30% 3 point shooter. Shooting in general in conference play the two are a combined 15/66 (23%), so to say they are struggling is an understatement. Unfortunately, looking at the roster and other guards, no player on the bench is really any better which is concerning. So hopefully they can right the ship and at least shoot at their more career average because against USD we are going to need to knock down perimeter shots.

Overall this just isn't a good shooting team at .425. The last year we were worse than that was 2015-16 and that team turned out ok, so it's not doom and gloom by any stretch of the imagination. But it just seems to me this team would be at a whole next level if we had a couple more guards that could knock down 3's at a 40% clip. The next class is guards and from what little I've seen of Timmer and Meyer they appear to be good perimeter shooters, so the future is bright. But it does take HS players some time to grow into shooting at this level. Heck, even Macy was not a great 3 pt. shooter her freshman year, so to expect year one for either of those two to really be the answer is probably a little unrealistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

3 Point Shooting
                            Greer- First 2 games 6/10 (60%), since then 7/40 (18%)
                            Theunick- First 4 games 9/13 (69%), since then 6/32 (19%)

So obviously the initial game stretch was an outlier and likely the recent struggles are a bit as well. But in looking at their careers neither play is much over a 30% 3 point shooter. Shooting in general in conference play the two are a combined 15/66 (23%), so to say they are struggling is an understatement. Unfortunately, looking at the roster and other guards, no player on the bench is really any better which is concerning. So hopefully they can right the ship and at least shoot at their more career average because against USD we are going to need to knock down perimeter shots.

Overall this just isn't a good shooting team at .425. The last year we were worse than that was 2015-16 and that team turned out ok, so it's not doom and gloom by any stretch of the imagination. But it just seems to me this team would be at a whole next level if we had a couple more guards that could knock down 3's at a 40% clip. The next class is guards and from what little I've seen of Timmer and Meyer they appear to be good perimeter shooters, so the future is bright. But it does take HS players some time to grow into shooting at this level. Heck, even Macy was not a great 3 pt. shooter her freshman year, so to expect year one for either of those two to really be the answer is probably a little unrealistic.
                            I remember Macy's first shot playing college ball was a 3 ptr (or long two) and she nailed it and took it with no hesitation because she was open. I remember saying to myself, she's going to do just fine in her collegiate carreer.

Comment

• Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              Sellend, Irwin, & Nelson getting hot on the perimeter, + Thueninck and Greer and anyone else who can hit at least 1 in the game, if they don't overdo it on attempts might get us through hopefully this year. Haliegh Timmer and Page Meyer hopefully will raise our percentage in '21 and Ellie Colbeck class of '22 coming up is a really good outside shooter in HS. Only lose Tylee after this season.
                              With this season being a non-counter for eligibility due to COVID, I believe Irwin can return next season if she chooses. Which hopefully she does.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

With this season being a non-counter for eligibility due to COVID, I believe Irwin can return next season if she chooses. Which hopefully she does.
                                me too, that would be super

Comment

Working...
                                X