• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteelSD
    replied
    Originally posted by 73alum View Post
    2024 Class:

I believe Abdouch, Vasecka and Sheppard are 1st Team All-State. Fox got pushed to 2nd team maybe most likely due to Koupal the Wagner Fr. being an All-Stater. Dunn is 2nd Team All-State. In 2022 all these girls except Dunn had 39 to 70 3 pointers starting with Sheppard and ending with Fox. Excellent potential here!
    Class A in SD was absolutely loaded this year. Five of the 6 players on that list are going to play DI ball with Wadsworth being the only exception. The 2nd team includes 1 D1 player and possibly a 2nd in Brooke Jensen. Fox being on the 2nd team was a combination of the talent in that class combined with her missing part of the year with an injury. Her numbers were down a bit this year as well, again likley due to the injury.

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by 73alum View Post
    There has been talk on here about 3 pt. shooting for next year:

Good players usually show marked improvement one year to the next and I expect that from Paige and Haleigh esp. going from Soph to Jr. That's maybe some due to maturity and of course natural ability. Tori will most likely have improvement in multiple areas as her role probably expands. Kallie will be the monster around the basket and Brooklyn probably will do the same. And Kallie is 100% 3 pt. shooter?? She shot and made her first one against VT or am I wrong?

Some info. from our incoming 2 girls..2023 class...I haven't found info yet for 2023 3 pt shooting
    on these girls but have some from 2022:

Behrens...Co-POY...2023 with Abdouch our 2024 recruit. 2022...Behrens shot 41% from 3pt. As a guard she scores, rebounds, assists and steals.

Hopp...1st team 4A ...All-State...Iowa. I believe 1st team All-State for 3 years. Plays all over the court. I saw info. a month or so ago that she was averaging 26 pts and over 14 rebounds, plus assists and steals. I thought the rebounds were a misprint, but no, she is a monster here! I haven't seen any info on her 3 pt shooting.

2024 Class:

I believe Abdouch, Vasecka and Sheppard are 1st Team All-State. Fox got pushed to 2nd team maybe most likely due to Koupal the Wagner Fr. being an All-Stater. Dunn is 2nd Team All-State. In 2022 all these girls except Dunn had 39 to 70 3 pointers starting with Sheppard and ending with Fox. Excellent potential here!

In continuation of this conversation, i first want to say that i think our starting 5 will be very good next year and depending on work, determination, and improvement we have a chance to go 9 or more deep with quality players

i know i have said it a lot but you if you were forced to bet on starting 5, most minutes etc, you have to go with:
    Kallie
    Brooklyn
    Tori
    Timmie
    Paige

gotta think UNLESS we get a transfer Mesa gets time backing up the posts
    OR we use Tori as the backup post and some combination of Maddie M, Ellie, and Maddie V gets most of the backup minutes

if i were forced to guess which player might be most likely to supplant one of the obvious starters for next year, i would say Maddie M or Ellie

I hope i am wrong but i do not think Hillary will be ready to contribute next year. i guess a likely redshirt but am happy to be wrong and dont mean to say it is impossible she plays. but i would guess Hopp is closer to ready to contribute

I really dont think either of them is the equal of Brooklyn or our freshman guards from this year but they will have a much greater opportunity to play based on NOT having 2 of the top 5 scorers in program history and a former pac 12 assist leader taking time ahead of them.

that is how i see the roster and pt breaking down next year I think they will win the summit with ndsu the biggest threat unless there significant transfer changes in league rosters. to be a threat to win ncaa game or more many to all of the top 5-8 players will need to step up!!! and i think many of them have potential to do it

i think i can illustrate what our team lacked this year as well as what we need next year by comparing this years team to our final 16 team from 2019

i want to begin by saying I think Myah had a great tournament and really ended her career in an amazing way. i believe in her final 2 games she really showed those who may doubt her what a special player she has been. sometimes we might have wanted her to take over more, but she was never gonna be that player. she was team all the way and she did everything she could to help her teammates improve and be the best they could be

i think she showed against USC that she could have put up more points the last two years if she would have been more selfish and looked more aggressively for her own shot, but that was never the best thing for the team. but in the last 2 games when mostly everyone else really struggled she showed that she could still score even against the best competition

EXACTLY like Macy in the 2019 ncaa she did not shoot a great percentage with good defenders and teams geared to make her life difficult, but she still scored and contributed in other ways to do all she could to lead her team

that is gonna be the first thing we need next year. there is no obvious choice to be next years macy or myah even when they could not play because of injuries one of those 2 has been the leader of this program pretty much since 2016- macy may not have been the unquestioned leader as a freshman (we had another all time great waytashek) but she certainly showed she was gonna be. WHO will do that job now?? i honestly feel like everyone of the 5 i list as starters has the ability to take that roll for next year. i have kind of a rank in my mind but i will leave it at that

we will have to see if someone steps up / into that role or will it be more by committee

i still absolutely think we were very close to beating VT, but a bit more help from supporting cast certainly could have helped

FOR INSTANCE
    look at the help our supporting cast gave Macy in 2019

in the 2019 ncaas Myah was a sophomore and probably our third option maybe 4th for the year (but i do think plenty of people could see by the end of that year that she was our second best player)

first game
    4 of 9, 16 pts (macy 28 like i said her and myah this year almost identical), 9 boards (macy 11), 4 assists (team lead)

2nd game
    7 of 14, 17pts, 8 boards (macy 10), 5 assists tie macy for team lead

macy had 11 pts this one
    mady shot 6 of 12 with 6 3s and 20 pts (she was 2 of 6 and 1 of 9 in the other 2ncaa games, but huge in this win over syracuse on THEIR home floor)

3rd game vs 2 seed oregon in oregon (team with 4 first round wnba picks and the other would have been but quit BB after college)

6 of 17, 13 pts, 5 boards, and 4 assists (she led or tied for the lead in assists in all 3 ncaa games)

macy had 21 and 8 boards (PG led us in rebounds all 3 games) nobody else had more than 7pts that game

2019 NCAA tournament 3 game average for Myah
    15.3 points, 7.3 rebounds, 4.3 assists and shot 42.5% from the field

Kallie was easily our best player besides Myah
    USC- 10 boards, 6 pts, 2 blocks, 3 steals
    VT- 7 boards, 8 pts, 1 block, 2 steals
    2 game average

7 pts, 8.5 boards, 1.5 blocks

Paige FG% was good, but she really did all of her scoring in a 9pt burst in the first half USC, FT line, 3rd Q burst against VT
    also 8 TOs and only 3 assists

Timmer had 8 boards and 3 steals against USC and a nice little burst i think 8 pts in Q3 vs VT but 6 for 26 FG and 1 for 7 from 3 and 6 TO for the 2 games

(remember paige is barely a year past major injury. i believe these 2 learn from this and come back with a vengeance next year, but to those who thought they already started to take over this team, you can see how special Myah really was and they did not do close to what she did as sophomores in the ncaa)

Tori played mostly good D and had decent stats vs VT. Paiton played hard but was statistically invisible

nobody came close to giving support to Myah this year that Macy got in 2019

as i said in a previous post, i believe we could have beaten VT with almost zero improvement on offense (make a couple easy missed layups and some FTs) by just playing our normal defense in the 2nd quarter, giving up less 3s, and giving up less offensive boards. that is ABSOLUTELY TRUE and i do believe those will be a lot of AJ focus going forward.

I REALLY REALLY hope many of us understand this!!! even with almost no contribution on offense EXCEPT MYAH we were very close to going to the sweet 16 (seriously take away 1-3 of their TWELVE 3s, take away a couple offensive boards, make 2 layups and 2 FTs and we are moving on) believe me i know all about coulda, shoulda, woulda but i just feel like a lot of people dont realize how close we were

but i also think we showed in 2019 that we can win multiple ncaa games if we can get a bit more help from players other than our star and that is also the way AJ prefers to play. he recruits players who want to be part of a team and who win as a team and has also never been overly reliant on 3s. he prefers to have multiple players be a threat as opposed to one gunslinger. if we have anything like a 3pt gunslinger on this team next year i have to guess it is Maddie M or maybe Maddie V. i think Timmie could be our leading scorer and she will hit plenty of 3s but i dont see her making a lot more than the 50 she made this year

Leave a comment:

• 98Jackfarmer
    replied
    Kallie airballed a 3 at Frost. She also made one the next game at Frost. It was during the conference season, but too lazy to look it up. Hell, it might have been the same game.

Leave a comment:

• 73alum
    replied
    There has been talk on here about 3 pt. shooting for next year:

Good players usually show marked improvement one year to the next and I expect that from Paige and Haleigh esp. going from Soph to Jr. That's maybe some due to maturity and of course natural ability. Tori will most likely have improvement in multiple areas as her role probably expands. Kallie will be the monster around the basket and Brooklyn probably will do the same. And Kallie is 100% 3 pt. shooter?? She shot and made her first one against VT or am I wrong?

Some info. from our incoming 2 girls..2023 class...I haven't found info yet for 2023 3 pt shooting
    on these girls but have some from 2022:

Behrens...Co-POY...2023 with Abdouch our 2024 recruit. 2022...Behrens shot 41% from 3pt. As a guard she scores, rebounds, assists and steals.

Hopp...1st team 4A ...All-State...Iowa. I believe 1st team All-State for 3 years. Plays all over the court. I saw info. a month or so ago that she was averaging 26 pts and over 14 rebounds, plus assists and steals. I thought the rebounds were a misprint, but no, she is a monster here! I haven't seen any info on her 3 pt shooting.

2024 Class:

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    Originally posted by salemjack View Post

She looked bigger than 6 foot which is what she is listed at…
    I've seen her listed somewhere as 6'1, and she looked to be every bit of that.

Leave a comment:

• salemjack
    replied
    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Watched parts of a couple of Jefferson's games and was impressed with Jaidyn Dunn. Moved really well for a post player. Made the AA all-tournament team along with Abdouch.
    She looked bigger than 6 foot which is what she is listed at…

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    Watched parts of a couple of Jefferson's games and was impressed with Jaidyn Dunn. Moved really well for a post player. Made the AA all-tournament team along with Abdouch.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied
    Claire has a good shot from the little bit of games i have watched so far. But doesnt seem overly athletic. One play who stood out as a good athlete and skills is stebnor from mitchell. She passes the eye test as far as conditioning and athletic ability. Not sure what her overall offensive game is. These assessments are only of limited wacthing during the tournament and flipping between the games.

Leave a comment:

• salemjack
    replied
    Claire is raw offensively. Like others said she really only shoots spot up jumpers. She will have a lot of work to do before she plays in Brookings. But she’s only a junior in high school and as we have seen very few are ready right out of high school.

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by peavy View Post

Flandreau played at noon. They will play again tomorrow at noon. Jaidyn Dunn and Jefferson are playing now.
    tough day on offense for Claire. i think i heard 2 of 17 from the field. Hamilin is #1 and undefeated and a tough opponent. She looked good on defense. Hamlin star, wadsworth, had 12 in the first half. i am not sure who guarded her i did not see much of the first half, but she only got 2 pts in the second half and claire was guarding her the whole time. wadsworth got 4 pts in the last moments of the game when claire was out with a nose that would not stop bleeding. i did not hear a number but she also seemed to rebound pretty well

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Originally posted by peavy View Post

Flandreau played at noon. They will play again tomorrow at noon. Jaidyn Dunn and Jefferson are playing now.
    Thanks Peavy, save me from having to look it up

Leave a comment:

• peavy
    replied
    Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Good news, the SD HS girls tournament starts Mar 9th, and Sheppards HS team Flandreau finally made it in the class A field. So everyone will have the opportunity to see her play.

Leave a comment:

• PapaJack
    replied
    Pretty cool story about the local talent and it's factor in the success of SDSU women's program over the years and into the future. https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2023/0...ummit-tourney/

Leave a comment:

• GrandpaLee
    replied
    Transfer portal opens March 14th

​​​​​​
    Player 23-24 24-25 25-26
    Tori Nelson 6'0 R-Sr
    Kallie Theisen 6'1 R-Sr
    Madysen Vlastuin 6'0 R-Jr R-Sr
    Mesa Byom 6'2 R-Jr R-Sr
    Paige Meyer 5'6 Jr Sr
    Haleigh Timmer 5'11 Jr Sr
    Natalie Nielsen 6'3 R-Fr R-So R-Jr
    Brooklyn Meyer 6'2 So Jr Sr
    Madison Mathiowetz 5'9 So Jr Sr
    Ellie Colbeck 5'9 So Jr Sr
    Hilary Behrens 6'1 Fr So Jr
    Jenna Hopp 5'11 Fr So Jr
    Jaida Dunn 6'1 Fr So
    Katie Vasecka 6'1 Fr So
    Emily Fox 5'8 Fr So
    Mahli Abdouch 5'7 Fr So
    Claire Shepard 6'1" Fr So
    Totals 12 15 11

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
    Fearless prediction: Jenna Hopp will become significant off the bench as #7/#8 player.
    I hope you are correct, but at the same time, we will be guard heavy next year unless we get a post player via transfer. so for her to play significantly next year will mean she has to pass at least one maybe multiple of the expected starters, or the expected backups maddie m, ellie, and maddie v

i have already said it but i expect starters
    Kallie T
    Brooklyn M
    Tori N
    Haliegh T
    Paige M

by the end of the year i believe those 5 will all average more minutes than Paiton averages this year (i think about 23) and for sure one of them maybe 2 or even 3 will average more minutes than Myah, who lead us this year with about 28-29 minutes

my guess is Tori leads us in minutes because of her ability to play every position on the floor. if the roster stays as expected she probably starts the year as the backup PG and also probably our 3rd best post player and maybe 2nd best post scorer

most likely next two in minutes played are
    Maddie M
    Elly C
    but maybe Maddie V passes someone
    Mesa B gets about 13-15 minutes a game backing up both posts, when they dont move Tori into the post

i dont know much about Jenna but i was fully expecting her to be more likely to contribute next year than Hillary. unless Hillary really surprises, i believe she is a redshirt next year. i kind of expect jenna to redshirt too since we are guard heavy already

but if she can pass one of those currently on the roster WITHOUT them disappointing then that is good for the program. if someone gets passed because for some reason their play does not meet expectations that does not particularly help the program. good to have other options to step in so the program does not lose ground, but it does not move the program forward

Leave a comment:

Working...
X