Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 recruits

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Mark Engen did turn out with a few skills that he did not have when he got here. Seems like he gave minutes in each game towards the end of his career. Judging from the HS coaches comments Connor will no doubt be much further ahead of Mark coming in next year. He could be one of our better post players. Seems odd but Kent Hyde was a project too, but managed to score at least 1000 pts in 3 years of eliglibity.Hyde was no more than 6'7".
    Didn't Kent Hyde average 50 pts a game his semior year of high school? Tthat does seem odd that he would be considered a project if he was that prolific of a scorer.

Comment

I watched his highlight video as well. He does some real nice things for a player his age. Good hands - he catch's the ball in traffic and takes care of it. Some nice versitility not only around the basket with short jumpers, jump hook - but shows some nice range as well. I noticed most of his blocks stayed on the court which often turned into turnovers vs swatting the ball out of bounds. Its tough to compare any player to another but that's what we do. I cheered for Mark Engen and wished the best for him. But this Devine kid at least on video appears to have skills that Mark or other post players we have had did not.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL YOU JACKS FANS.

gbgbgj

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
        Didn't Kent Hyde average 50 pts a game his semior year of high school? Tthat does seem odd that he would be considered a project if he was that prolific of a scorer.
        Yes he did put a bunch of points through the hoop, but he had about 5 inches in height above everyone else in Class B, plus he had a great point guard in Jim Sutton to feed him the ball. Jim was a year ahead of Kent so not sure who took his place at guard when Hyde had the big year in 1953. He just was not very agile in movements. I remember one game where he was left on the opponents end of the court after snagging a rebound, and both guards tore off to the other end of the court, and poor Kent had to dribble to the time line and it was not a pretty sight. He did so without turning the ball over. Jim Iverson was big on the fast break offense. The game was so different back then, very little weight room work, and by his senior year he could handle himself pretty good and a bunch of his points were put backs on offensive rebounds. Maybe a project does not do justice to an otherwise very good center.

Comment

20 days off for us and we finally got back on the court last night at one of our biggest rivals. Won 55-41, Connor had 22pts, 10rbs, 5blks on perfect shooting (9-9, 1-1, 1-1). Tomorrow we head about 700 miles north to Barrow where Connor lived through 6th grade for 2 games in the northernmost city in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by AKCoach View Post
            20 days off for us and we finally got back on the court last night at one of our biggest rivals. Won 55-41, Connor had 22pts, 10rbs, 5blks on perfect shooting (9-9, 1-1, 1-1). Tomorrow we head about 700 miles north to Barrow where Connor lived through 6th grade for 2 games in the northernmost city in the U.S.
            Are you getting our snow this year? Sounds like a fun trip to Barrow. Thanks for the reports on Connor. Looking forward to seeing him as a Jack.

Comment

Terry noted today during his livechat that Tanner Williams the 6'7" SF/PF from Orion IL visited again. Of all the offers that SDSU has extended for this class I liked him the most.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                Terry noted today during his livechat that Tanner Williams the 6'7" SF/PF from Orion IL visited again. Of all the offers that SDSU has extended for this class I liked him the most.
                If you are talking about the known offers that are currently extended, then I agree with this.

Connor Devine, who has already signed his letter intent, probably will excite me the most by the time this class is finalized because he provides something the Jacks haven't had in the DI era: a shot blocking presence.

I'm probably just grasping for straws though, as both will/would make great additions to the MBB team.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Trip to Barrow was intense, Connor had 33 and close to 20 boards and some blocks the first night in an overtime win, second night he had 17 mid teens for boards and some blocks in another win. Next 3 games:21 points, 16 boards, 6 blocks...27 points, 15 boards, 7 blocks...9 points, 13 boards, 7 blocks.

Tonight we played the reigning state champs, lost 78-72 in OT. Connor had 15 points, 21 boards, 16 blocks.

Comment

Trip to Barrow was intense, Connor had 33 and close to 20 boards and some blocks the first night in an overtime win, second night he had 17 mid teens for boards and some blocks in another win. Next 3 games:21 points, 16 boards, 6 blocks...27 points, 15 boards, 7 blocks...9 points, 13 boards, 7 blocks.

Tonight we played the reigning state champs, lost 78-72 in OT. Connor had 15 points, 21 boards, 16 blocks.
                    Cripes, those numbers are sick, no matter who you are playing against. Really looking forward to watching Connor in a Jacks uniform.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                      If you are talking about the known offers that are currently extended, then I agree with this.

Connor Devine, who has already signed his letter intent, probably will excite me the most by the time this class is finalized because he provides something the Jacks haven't had in the DI era: a shot blocking presence.

I'm probably just grasping for straws though, as both will/would make great additions to the MBB team.
                      Thats what I meant.

Comment

Trip to Barrow was intense, Connor had 33 and close to 20 boards and some blocks the first night in an overtime win, second night he had 17 mid teens for boards and some blocks in another win. Next 3 games:21 points, 16 boards, 6 blocks...27 points, 15 boards, 7 blocks...9 points, 13 boards, 7 blocks. Tonight we played the reigning state champs, lost 78-72 in OT. Connor had 15 points, 21 boards, 16 blocks.
                        16 blocks - that's nuts!!! You'd think after getting swatted a few times you would alter your game.

Comment

16 blocks comes from playing a prideful, athletic, city school, who went 10 deep and almost all of them were trying to prove themselves against the best player in our state by going at the rim. 2 more league wins as we played 3 games in 3 nights, 17 points, 15 rebounds, 3 blocks last night. This afternoon he had his third triple double double of the season, 20 points, 12 rebounds, 10 blocks.

Comment

4th triple double in 13 games tonight...19 points 19 boards 11 blocks. Missed a 5th in the Barrow game a couple weeks ago, just did stats for it. That was 33-17-9. Play again tomorrow. Sounds like the Jacks are really stepping it up defensively too!!

Comment

4th triple double in 13 games tonight...19 points 19 boards 11 blocks. Missed a 5th in the Barrow game a couple weeks ago, just did stats for it. That was 33-17-9. Play again tomorrow. Sounds like the Jacks are really stepping it up defensively too!!
                              Big win over ORU last night. Snapped a win streak of conference wins by ORU. We will not be playing ORU next year because they are moving to the Southland Conference. Conner might have been a big help last night trying to stop Roundtree who is very athletic and big. We need inside people real bad. Though with 18 wins, I am surely not complaining, but look to a better year next year with Connor and a few more recruits.

Comment

At the risk of sounding redundant to you guys, Devine goes 3-2 again...13pts, 19rbs, 11blks. That's 5 out of 14 games. Averages are about 19pts, 14rbs, 8 blks after those 14 games.

Comment

Working...
                                X