Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kwsn...

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Oh oh, Northern State beat SMSU in the NSIC quarterfinals this evening.
    Wow. They might be able to take on Oklahoma, if they can beat SMSU

Comment

Back to the topic of the thread....

I turned them on today for 10 minutes and they were going through the Summit awards. John asks Craig who he thinks the mens POTY is and Craig answers "that kid from NDSU" "Yep" says John "Ben Woodside is the GPAC player of the year" Way to go guys!

Comment

A slight amount of credit to them today as they talked a lot of Summit League (or as Craig likes to call it the Summit Conference) today on the show and Craig wasn't too "snarky".

I did catch the GPAC blunder today and threw up in my mouth a little bit after he said it. The "kid" from NDSU, come on, it's not like he's from S. Utah or something. Honestly a guy in Craig's position should know the name Ben Woodside.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbit View Post
          Continuing with the thread drift, the NSIC to Summit League argument with regard to teams is a little over the top. The team depth of talent, size, and speed just doesn't add up for the duration for an entire conference season. In a one-time situation, craziness obviously happens. Should we be able to compete in the Big 12 night in and out because of our win over Iowa St?

Individual players from the better D-II teams (NCC/NSIC) on the other hand are not that far off...every year there are players, usually seniors, that have developed over the years and could compete night in and night out at a high-level in the Summit League. We have seen plenty of players come through Frost over the years who could have played in this league. I often get frustrated with the "He is a D-I player" label because I don't think the difference is that obvious...especially in the Summit League. Who is the better player...Sempsrott or Callahan? Without D-I moves, Woodside and Winkelman probably end up in the NCC/NSIC somewhere. Was Cordova getting any D-I interest when we signed him? Recruiting has changed so much in the past 5-10 years that is reasonable to believe that White and Fiegen could have still easily ended up at SDSU had they been seniors 10 years ago at Madison.

Once players get into college and are exposed, the type of development is impossible to gauge. But experience is huge and when skill and athleticism are close in comparison...experience will win out the vast majority of the time. That is why optimism should be high for the future. Obviously, none of this can be proven only speculated and argued upon and sorry about contributing to the drift. Go Jacks!!
          Well said. Great post.

Comment

I was driving home and due to morbid curiosity I switched the station over to listen about how they were closing the show today. They played an interview that John did with Nagy sometime today in the next to last segment. I thought that the questions were the ones people would want answers to and the answers were very well done. Nice job John.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
              Too bad it is impossible to play Mankato State, as they are now called Minnesota State University, Mankato (P.S. don't use a hyphen instead of a comma between University and Mankato, as they frown upon that in Maverickland, as I found out the hard way)
              As a graduate of both SDSU and Mankato State Univ it will always be Mankato State Univ. I hear Minn State and I think of the show Coach.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
                It might've been an exhibition game, but it is still a game we should not have lost. Don't you agree?

The analogy of the Lions winning their preseason games isn't applicable in this case either. The Lions were playing teams in their league, SDSU was playing a team from a lower tier leagues. Those are just facts. I don't like them anymore than you do.

Actually the Lions were playing up a league, because there is no team in the same league as the Lions. (except maybe Indiana State but I wouldn't want to insult the Sycamores.)

Comment

I wanna hear Craig's take on this one... Didn't he say one and done, or was it just that other tool on this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by cowbell34 View Post
                    I wanna hear Craig's take on this one... Didn't he say one and done, or was it just that other tool on this forum?
                    I think your are talking about the same person.

Comment

Originally posted by cowbell34 View Post

I'm thinking something like this: " In closing todays show I just want to say good job to the SDSU mens team for beating who was it again? (Jon helps him out by saying "Oral Roberts University") That's right Oral Roberts University in the GPAC, I mean Mid-Con, oh I mean Summit Conference tournament."

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack View Post
                        I'm thinking something like this: " In closing todays show I just want to say good job to the SDSU mens team for beating who was it again? (Jon helps him out by saying "Oral Roberts University") That's right Oral Roberts University in the GPAC, I mean Mid-Con, oh I mean Summit Conference tournament."
                        I'd say that's just about right. First, we wouldn't ever compete at the next level. Now, we only compete because the conference we are in is a "joke" and the athletes/teams really aren't that much better than the best of DII or even NAIA. Our women or in the BIG DANCE and our men are 2 wins away from the BIG DANCE with both games being played in our back yard. If you would have predicted something like that 5 years ago Craig and Stu would have bet their careers that it wouldn't happen (we can only dream).

The S.F. media (minus T.V.) needs to get on board with SDSU, now. Stop dwelling on the past or trying to pretend that we aren't really DI or that DI isn't really that big of a deal. The Coyotes drop a game to UND and the article talks about Boot's keeping his 20 wins per season streak alive with a win today. Come on Mick, they haven't played anybody. If we would have had a schedule resembling the junior high slate the Coyotes played this year they would have ripped us apart. I've made it clear that I'm not in favor of USD joining the Summit right away, they need to demonstrate a greater commitment to DI. We already have some institutions with shaky resumes and I'm not convinced by what USD has brought to the table. Sorry for the thread drift.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Be nice to Mick. He's a class act, and has written some incredibly good pieces on USD this year. Including one on Jenn W.'s fiance.

Plus the guy put a reference to Arthur Brown in a blog entry---that is so bizarre and out of left field that I cannot help but tip my hat.

Comment

First off, I have to give credit where credit is due and Mike H. did a great job on his Sportsmax show this week. I live in Brookings and leave my radio tuned to 910...Sportsmax is on Saturday mornings.. Usually on Saturday mornings I end up changing the channel because the topic on Sportsmax is not something that I find interesting. HOWEVER, yesterday as I was just about to change the channel I heard Mike say to come back for more Summit League coverage. I didn't touch the dial and was very impressed by the coverage of the tournament. I only heard about the last 15 minutes or so, but I was pleased to hear the coverage. I wanted to make it a point to post as I was negative towards the show in my postings last week. I look forward to hearing more SDSU coverage on the show.

Comment

Secondly, I missed the KWSN guys at the games yesterday. My seats are right behind the press row. When I arrived at the game I noticed the seats directly in front of me were reserved for KWSN. I thought it was rather ironic they would be sitting one row ahead of me after all of their negative press on the board last week. I was disappointed, however, as the only people that sat in those seats were coaches from other teams. I would think that if you can get a front row seat to a Division I tournament you would take the opportunity to attend.

Comment

hell, I would have gladly taken their seats... I was up in the press overflow area.
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X