Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008-2009 Predictions

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I'm glad you have high(even average) hopes for the season. I know we don't play Idaho twice this year but we play 2 non-DI teams this year. Last year, we lost 2 games in OT in California. Both those teams come here this year. I don't have the schedule in front of me but there are more games that should be W's.
    Last year, SDSU lost about 10 games by 7 points or less. I had the stats once but forgot and I'm too lazy to look it up again. I would say that some of those teams lost more production than SDSU did. Teams that beat us bad 2 years ago, struggled to beat us last year. Did we still lose? Yes! But my point is we were much better last year than the year before.
    Saying SDSU hasn't struggled badly in transition is crazy. You can't lose as many players as we have and not struggle. I don't remember who all was in Beran's class but didn't we lose 3 players from that class? How about Gilbert, Holdren and Cadwell? Losing about 6 players in 3 years is a death sentence for any team. The last couple years, the players have stayed here. I know Bassett is leaving but he's only 1 player that it didn't work out for. The players who played the majority of the minutes last year are back. This year, they aren't freshman and sophmore's. Our team is retaining players that are getting bigger, stronger and faster.
    It's sad to see Beran, Berte and Loney leave. They stuck with the team through the worst of times at SDSU.
    We also won 6 games by that same margin.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
      For all involved, including the fans, I think we have to make the tourney this year. There will be endless chirping from the "told ya so" people if we don't make the tourney in our own back yard.
      Whether you like it or not, the truth is that SDSU has always been judged by its men's basketball program. The successes that the Rabbits have been seeing in other sports are outstanding and the football and women's basketball team have gathered a large amount of positive publicity for the university. But the success of the men's basketball team if and when it occurs will garner more attention than any other accomplishment that the athletic department has achieved.

It may not be accurate and fair, but there are many who will not acknowledge that SDSU has been a success at the Division I level until the men's basketball program has made some headway and become a competitive team.
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

It is true that the success of the men's basketball team outshined the other major sports at the D2 level until the women's program became dominant. Obviously the football team has raised its competitive level and the women's basketball team has continued to excel. We've also won a conference championship and been to the NCAA tournament in Volleyball. The Men's Golf Team has won two golf tournaments this fall. Even more importantly is that SDSU's student-athletes have more than distinguished themselves in the classroom as well.

To say that the move has been succesful is a huge understatement. Look at the crowd we are going to have in town for Hobo Day tomorrow. Absolutely fantastic!

The major exception being where the men's team has been. I've always believed that Nagy and his staff will turn things around and he deserves the benefit of the doubt due to the difficulty of transition in this sport. It's time for progress but there probably isn't anyone more aware of that then they are. As a resident optimist, I think you will see some strong improvement this year out of the team.

As Jacks fans, we can have our cake and eat it too when it turns around!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Anthony Davis is battling knee injuries at the moment and there is some concern he will not be ready to play in November. It sounds like James and Michael are going to redshirt this year. Garrett Callahan has been playing through some foot problems. And Griffan is expected to contribute come January when he is eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
            Anthony Davis is battling knee injuries at the moment and there is some concern he will not be ready to play in November. It sounds like James and Michael are going to redshirt this year. Garrett Callahan has been playing through some foot problems. And Griffan is expected to contribute come January when he is eligible.
            I talked to Davis at the FB game and it sounds like his knee is a real issue, they're not sure whats wrong with it.

After watching James in free play, i think redshirting is a no-brainer. I haven't heard about Michael though, i have no idea why they would redshirt him.

Comment

palarca will not redshirt. the only redshirt will be radar and the biggest concern is not the guard play but an inside game. One thing that is benefitial to us is that the majority of the teams on our schedule do not have a dominant inside game either and are guard oriented. I believe the team will win 15 + and finish in the top 5 in conference. some might think that seems hard to believe but i think its a definite possibility

Comment

That's the spirit

Comment

I know I'm stating the obvious, but if indeed Davis is sidelined with a knee injury a long year will get longer as we are so thin in the post. Somewhere along the line we missed recruiting another post player or big strong forward. Getting Berte and Beran back for one year may have played a role in that. I actually like the idea of redshirting Palarca as we have Casey back at the point and an abundance of guards on the roster. This would give Palaraca another year to mature and come back as our starting point in 2009/2010. It sure would be nice to have Engen come in and show a level of agressiveness we have not seen as of yet. We will clearly be a 3 guard lineup again this year. Any reports on whether Cordova has made himself better in the off-season?

Comment

Geez, I was pinning a lot of hope on Anthony Davis, even though I'd never seen him play. Anthony Cordova and Mark Engen should be improved, but they'll need help down around the basket. Even Thomas Bassett is gone. Maybe Josh Cassaday could play some power forward. The Jacks could end up starting four guards and small forwards and running, like in the old days.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Any injury updates? Mrs Williams, could you possibly ask Kai?

Comment

Nagy was saying on the radio this morning that Kai is having some finger issues and probably wouldn't partake in the dunk contest tonight....as fun as it would be to watch Kai fly, I'm all for him sitting and not injuring it further.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                          Nagy was saying on the radio this morning that Kai is having some finger issues and probably wouldn't partake in the dunk contest tonight....as fun as it would be to watch Kai fly, I'm all for him sitting and not injuring it further.
                          Me too. as far as the other injuries go I do not know have not heard anything recently.

Comment

Thanks guys!!

Comment

San Jose State -W 1-0
                              Mayville State -W 2-0
                              at VCU -L 2-1
                              at Drake -w 3-1
                              Upper Iowa W - 4-1
                              vs Cancun -L 4-2
                              vs Cancun -L 4-3
                              -Centenary -W 5-3 /1-0
                              -Oral Roberts -W 6-3 /2-0
                              at Minnesota -L 6-4 /2-0
                              at Denver -W 7-4 /2-0
                              CSU-Bakersfield -W 8-4 /2-0
                              -at Northern Iowa -L 8-5 /2-1
                              at Iowa State -L 8-6 /2-1
                              -at Oakland -L 8-7 /2-2
                              -at IPFW -L 8-8 /2-3
                              -Western Illinois -W 9-8 /3-3
                              -IUPUI -W 10-8 /4-3
                              -at UMKC -L 10-9 /4-4
                              -at Southern Utah -W 11-9/ 5-4
                              -North Dakota State -W 12-9 /6-4
                              -IPFW -W 13-9 /7-4
                              -Oakland -L 13-10 /7-5
                              -at IUPUI -L 13-11 /7-6
                              -at Western Illinois -L 13-12 / 7-7
                              -Southern Utah -W 14-12/ 7-7
                              -UMKC -W 15-12 /8-7
                              -at NDSU -W 16-12 /9-7
                              -at Oral Roberts -L 16-13 /9-8
                              -at Centenary - W 17-13/ 10-9

17-13/ 10-9
                              MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
                              http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
                              http://gojacks.com

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                                I talked to Davis at the FB game and it sounds like his knee is a real issue, they're not sure whats wrong with it.

After watching James in free play, i think redshirting is a no-brainer. I haven't heard about Michael though, i have no idea why they would redshirt him.
                                I don't have a problem with Michael redshirting. SDSU has 8 of their 16 players listed as guards. Rader is a G/F even though he is sitting out. Peterson has to sit this year out, too. We don't know about Davis. I think Kai could be listed as a G/F even though they just have him as a F. That means that about 2/3's of the roster are guards. Next year, SDSU has a couple F's coming in and they lose 2 G's. Plus, I like the idea of redshirting players. I know Griffen has to sit out the 1st semester but there still are 6 guards until he can play.

Comment

Working...
                                X