Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008-2009 Predictions

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    My biggest concern for this year is a lack of proven post players. We are not a big team and will have some real matchups challenges. We are lacking that experienced 6'8-6'9 245lb athletic power forward that most teams have.
    I'm a little concerned about our lack of a proven point guard as well. I know very well who is on the roster and I think my concern is justified. I am sure Coach Nagy and his staff are working hard to prepare all the players. As metioned before, it sounds as if we will have more of an open court 3 guard offense taking the focus off the post. Agree that defensive match-ups are going to be a problem inside.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      I'm a little concerned about our lack of a proven point guard as well. I know very well who is on the roster and I think my concern is justified. I am sure Coach Nagy and his staff are working hard to prepare all the players. As metioned before, it sounds as if we will have more of an open court 3 guard offense taking the focus off the post. Agree that defensive match-ups are going to be a problem inside.
      I think your concern is valid and i hate to play the youth card, but we had three true freshman playing that position at various times last year. I'm HOPING that they have matured both mentally and physically since then.

IMO, losing our starting post and backup,is a huge concern. I hope Nagy does use a 3 guard offense because we are going to be thin as far as "bigs" go.

Comment

SUPERBUNNY- Point taken. I'll be at the football game. I enjoy football but college basketball is the best sport in my opinion. Even though our football team is doing great and basketball is struggling, I still feel that way. I don't call for a coaches head. Especially before his season has started. I think he should have his offseason to not have to put up with my (negative)opinions.

I want to see how Cassaday and Rader preform, too. They both have the size Kai has now. If either of them can help out down low, we'll be better off down there than we were last season. It's not fair to Kai to guard the PF but he can if he has to. I remember when Andy Kleinjon had to guard a PF. I'm hoping we have 3-4 big bodies before Kai has to play down low.

We have only 3 or 4 players that can't play the perimeter on this team. Hopefully they can find somebody to play the point.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          Williams had 28 on 12/7/07 against Centenary
          Callahan had 28 on 12/12 against Minnesota
          Williams had 25 on 12/18 against Denver
          Beran had 25 on 12/28/07 against CSU Bakersfield

Beran led the team in scoring with over 20 four times last season alone.
          Willliams led the team in scoring with over 20 three times last season alone.
          Callahan led the team in scoring with over 20 one time last year.

So to answer your question, last December (as in last season).

Do you even go to games, or do you get your play-by-play from Stu Whitney

So Williams did it one time in the same month! Great, and by the way , yes I am a season ticket holder and have been for several years and go to every game traveling from Sioux Falls!

The funny thing is everyone gets so defensive about a post just pointing out a weakness, it's like we are a 20 win team with no weakness and people are like how dare you say something that is not positive.

so we had a scorer with 25 pts 4 times last year and when someone took the shots those games were a lot closer b/c we had a player who was willing to take some shots or create a shot for himself!

Comment

The thing is that Kai Williams can't be the whole team. He's a decent D-I player but he can't carry the team by himself. He needs his teammates to step up in the scoring, rebounding, and defensive departments (and stop turning over the @#$@ ball) in order for this team to have more success.

Unless lightning strikes in the recruiting process and some under-the-radar four-star stud falls into Nagy's lap, the Jackrabbits have to play the team game, because even bad D-I teams are quite good enough to take your best player away from you. That means you need to have multiple guys on the court that you can depend on, game in and game out.

If those other guys emerge this year, then "we'll be OK." (OK being defined down to being a consistently competitive D-I team--good enough at least to make the conference championship.) If they don't, it will be another looooong year.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              The thing is that Kai Williams can't be the whole team. He's a decent D-I player but he can't carry the team by himself. He needs his teammates to step up in the scoring, rebounding, and defensive departments (and stop turning over the @#$@ ball) in order for this team to have more success.

Unless lightning strikes in the recruiting process and some under-the-radar four-star stud falls into Nagy's lap, the Jackrabbits have to play the team game, because even bad D-I teams are quite good enough to take your best player away from you. That means you need to have multiple guys on the court that you can depend on, game in and game out.

If those other guys emerge this year, then "we'll be OK." (OK being defined down to being a consistently competitive D-I team--good enough at least to make the conference championship.) If they don't, it will be another looooong year.
              I think we all a little dumber after reading that.

Comment

i could see a .500 season maybe a couple games above in Summit League play
                MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
                http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
                http://gojacks.com

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFroshFan View Post
                  I not sure thats possible for some of "we all". Wink, wink.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

While i think Kai is a good offensive player and a very good rebounder, i certainly wouldn't exclude him from one of the players that needs to "step up" their defensive play and cut down on turnovers.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                      So Williams did it one time in the same month! Great, and by the way , yes I am a season ticket holder and have been for several years and go to every game traveling from Sioux Falls!

The funny thing is everyone gets so defensive about a post just pointing out a weakness, it's like we are a 20 win team with no weakness and people are like how dare you say something that is not positive.

so we had a scorer with 25 pts 4 times last year and when someone took the shots those games were a lot closer b/c we had a player who was willing to take some shots or create a shot for himself!
                      I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are not as bad as you were making us out to be in your previous post. Does that mean we are good, no. But that also does not mean that we are absolutely horrible.

Last season there were 39 players in all of Division I Basketball that averaged over 20 points per game. Austin Hansen never averaged 20 against DII competition. So that means to have someone score like that consistently, we would need to get one heckuva player.

We should all have realistic expectations, I don't believe making the conf championship is realistic. I do believe it is realistic to make the tourney. This would be a step in the right direction and a sign of progress.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Well said SFRF...could not have said it better. Rep points for you.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFroshFan View Post
                          I believe I see the source of your irritation . . . I said "conference championship" in my post but intended to say "conference tournament."

There.

Better?
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The two unknown games in Cancun will be against Central Arkansas and Central Florida.

Comment

While I'll refrain from "predicting" a record, I will say I think we'll make the tournament this year. I'm just looking forward to seeing the guys back out on the court again.

Also, I'll go on the record right now by saying I think this James Rader kid is going to be a stud for us down the road. I don't really know why, maybe it's these blue and yellow glass I always put on!
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                                While I'll refrain from "predicting" a record, I will say I think we'll make the tournament this year. I'm just looking forward to seeing the guys back out on the court again.

Also, I'll go on the record right now by saying I think this James Rader kid is going to be a stud for us down the road. I don't really know why, maybe it's these blue and yellow glass I always put on!

For all involved, including the fans, I think we have to make the tourney this year. There will be endless chirping from the "told ya so" people if we don't make the tourney in our own back yard.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X