2008-2009 Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008-2009 Predictions

I hate sound too negative, but if AD is gone for the year we are hooped. We had little depth in the post to start with and now we have none. Guard play alone will not win anything for us. All the conference teams have solid guard play. Our coaching staff should have recruited more depth up front. If we lay an egg, it is their fault. Now dump on me all you want, but I bet my sense of reality is closer to the truth than those who wish to place the blame elsewhere.

WE NEED A NEW COACHING STAFF!!

Comment

I beg to differ rabbit boy. Losing Anthony Davis is a tough blow. However, we are going to be better this year than last and I think winning half the games is a very realistic goal. I also disagree on your opinion about our coaching staff. In our society it is always what have you done for me lately. Nagy has been a winner the moment he took over the program. We all know the bad luck we have had with illnesses and transfers out. Things are going to get better. We have some good young men in the program now and three SD kids on the way. Coach Nagy has earned the right to turn this thing around, and I think he will.

Comment

If we can't even beat SWMS i'll be shocked if we win over 5 games, when the schedule this year is harder than last years. Can we all agree finally that if we don't make the conference tourny that Nagy is gone. Its been a long D-1 transition with very little to show for it from the mens bball, and the other sports seem to have adjusted just fine.

Comment

I don't think we can all agree on that and that decission will not be made by anyone on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack B. Nimble View Post
            If we can't even beat SWMS i'll be shocked if we win over 5 games, when the schedule this year is harder than last years. Can we all agree finally that if we don't make the conference tourny that Nagy is gone. Its been a long D-1 transition with very little to show for it from the mens bball, and the other sports seem to have adjusted just fine.
            Its great that so many people are excited about the program and participate on this site, but I think that we need to calm down just a little bit. I will whole agree completely that the SWMS game made me very sad, and we can talk about it now until we are blue in the face, but the reality is that not one of us now knows how this season is going to progress.

This team will be undersized and out talented on many occassions this season. This is nothing new since the DI transition began. It continues this season, and I think you could make the arguement that the staff has done a good job of just treading water with the program.

Remember just two seasons ago, when coach was making comments like I look into the eyes of our players and it just seems like there's no hope. Last year, we got past that hurdle. This season may not be the step forward that we all had hoped but another year with no major defections from the program in itself will be a step forward.

I've said for a while now that no matter what happens this year you can't really begin to judge this program until next year when Kai and Garrett are seniors. It is then that we will see how the players they have put around them are developing and we will get an idea of what can be done in the conference and on this DI level.

My advice: relax just a little bit. Realize that this season is going to be a struggle and support the team. By next season, when the staff has brought their first DI class completely through the program, I will then be willing to engage in other conversations such as if major change in coaching is necessary.
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I dont get it. We've been terrible, yes TERRIBLE, for the past four years and I dont see us being any better this year. Yes I agree the two SD kids will be good players, but I doubt they will contribute a ton as freshmen. After that our current junior class is done and we start over again. We are a BAD team with a BAD future. We NEED a coaching change. That should have happened in the spring to give this junior class a chance instead of condeming us to another four-five year rebuilding program.

Comment

Sorry I should have have pointed out that the thing I dont get is how people can say we have been anything but terrible. ANYONE explain to me in a realistic way how they seeing us being better in the next 2-4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
                  I dont get it. We've been terrible, yes TERRIBLE, for the past four years and I dont see us being any better this year. Yes I agree the two SD kids will be good players, but I doubt they will contribute a ton as freshmen. After that our current junior class is done and we start over again. We are a BAD team with a BAD future. We NEED a coaching change. That should have happened in the spring to give this junior class a chance instead of condeming us to another four-five year rebuilding program.
                  I think the question you need to ask yourself is, who are we going to get for a coach that will do a better job than Coach Nagy?

Change for the sake of change is not a good strategy, and no coach that would be willing to come to SDSU (losing records, less budget, no profile, not many assistants) would dramatically improve the performance on the court or recruiting. In fact, a coaching change would probably result in at least 3 players leaving the program, setting it back another 5 years.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
                    One of my biggest pet peeves here,is posters that are wishy-washy.

Can you please just tell us what you REALLY think?

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                      I think the question you need to ask yourself is, who are we going to get for a coach that will do a better job than Coach Nagy?

Change for the sake of change is not a good strategy, and no coach that would be willing to come to SDSU (losing records, less budget, no profile, not many assistants) would dramatically improve the performance on the court or recruiting. In fact, a coaching change would probably result in at least 3 players leaving the program, setting it back another 5 years.
                      Thats exactly right.

A probable replacement would be 2nd or 3rd tier assistant from another low-major team. Lets face it, the combination of low pay,location, and undermanned staff isn't going to attract much better.

Say what you want about coach Nagy,but he's made SDSU a destination, not a stepping stone to a better job. If a new guy comes in and has some sucess, more than likely he will move on, then you get to start the whole process over.

Comment

I'm not advocating we fire Nagy at this point. I do however disagree with those who assume we could not find a well qualified coach with a proven track record of success and recruiting ability that would look at this as an attractive opportunity. I think we would be amazed the quality of people who would apply for the job. SDSU has a rich tradition of Men's Basketball, Brookings is a wonderful community to raise a family, Frost is a phenominal facility and we are in a solidified conference with an autobid and I don't think it would take much to get people excited about the product again. I do think the lack of having enough assistants has hurt in the recruiting game as I wonder if we have the resources to get out and see enough players. We are not always going to have DI players growing up 35 Miles away from Brookings. In the interim, I will continue to support the team and coaches by making it to as many games as I can!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          I'm not advocating we fire Nagy at this point. I do however disagree with those who assume we could not find a well qualified coach with a proven track record of success and recruiting ability that would look at this as an attractive opportunity. I think we would be amazed the quality of people who would apply for the job. SDSU has a rich tradition of Men's Basketball, wonderful facility and a solidified conference and I don't think it would take much to get people excited about the product again. I do think the lack of having enough assistants has hurt in the recruiting game as I wonder if we have the resources to get out and see enough players. We are not always going to have DI players growing up 35 Miles away from Brookings. In the interim, I will continue to support the team and coaches by making it to as many games as I can!
                          Thank you for saying this. Keeping the current staff just because you don't think a replacement could be found is a naive way to think about it. If the performance on the floor and off doesn't improve this year the administration will again look at making a change. My feeling, a change will likely be made. What is the threshold with repect to measuring improvement? I think thats debatable and probably a bit of a moving target. It sounds unfair but I think thats the way its going to be.

I'll be happy with and 8th place finish or better in conference and a trip to the Summit league tourney. OOC wins are going to be hard to come by and conference wins on the road are going to be rare so we better defend our homecourt. I can't be there Friday but my tickets will get used.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Like already stated I think fans would be surprised at who we could get as a coach. Our potential fan base is one of the best in the country for uni's our size. We have proven that in the past. Our facility is OK and could be improved. Our tradition is strong and we are a university town. There are draw backs as already mentioned, but we would be a lot better destination than some might believe.

As for changing coaches, how does anyone not see a rebuilding process after our junior class leaves? I still am waiting for someone to paint a picture where we will be better in the next 2-4 years.

Comment

Further, have we gotten to the point where we are happy with 8th place in in the conference? No offence intended to my buddy Jackmd. Has our standard of accpetance been lowered that much? Maybe I am the one being unrealistic but I still believe in the standards of ten years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                If the performance on the floor and off doesn't improve this year the administration will again look at making a change. My feeling, a change will likely be made. What is the threshold with repect to measuring improvement? I think thats debatable and probably a bit of a moving target. It sounds unfair but I think thats the way its going to be.

What information makes you think this. Like I said before that decision will not be made by anyone on this board.

Comment

Working...
                                X