This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-10 Recruits

Tony Fiegen and Chad White are getting most of our attention this year for good reason. However, Braydon Carlson is quietly having a nice year. Last week against Mitchell he scored 34 points and had 9 rebounds. It is tougher to score more than 30 points in AA ball. Just following the Bobcats boxscores this year he has to be averaging close to 20 points and 10 rebounds a game. Has anyone seen this young man play?

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonRabbit View Post
      Tony Fiegen and Chad White are getting most of our attention this year for good reason. However, Braydon Carlson is quietly having a nice year. Last week against Mitchell he scored 34 points and had 9 rebounds. It is tougher to score more than 30 points in AA ball. Just following the Bobcats boxscores this year he has to be averaging close to 20 points and 10 rebounds a game. Has anyone seen this young man play?
      Watched Braydon play several times. He can score, rebound and defend. Couple areas he will need to improve on are: Staying out of fall trouble. Braydon has a bad habit of picking up foolish fouls. Secondly he needs to get much stronger. Kind of slight of frame. Don't get me wrong he can play and has proven that in the AA ranks. He will red shirt which will allow him to bulk up and work on his game. I agree with your comment about Braydon having an excellent season. Brookings is not nearly the same team when he is setting on the bench in foul trouble. He has the potential to be a nice surprise for the Jacks. Nice size and can score - good combination.

GBGBGJ

Comment

ESPN has updated its status on Fiegen and White:http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recru...1&page=commits

Fiegen is ranked as the #170 PF and a grade of 76:
        January, 2009:
        Fiegon is a long athlete that can run the floor well he has excellent touch around the basket and does a great job using angles to score inside. He is a decent rebounder and his skill along with his production should improve as he adds weight and strength. He has good upside and will hit his playing peak while he is in college.

White is ranked as the # 139 SF and a grade of 75:
        January, 2009: White is a super skilled wing that can also play inside. He has shooting range to the arc, is an excellent ball handler, passer and good rebounder on both ends of the floor. He can find open teammates cutting or coming off screens and can rebound in or out of his area. White is fundamentally sound and a very good all around player that can not only score but always does something positive to help his team win.

Comment

Those are nice comments on Chad and Tony... but the grades I'm a little confused on... 74 and 75... are those good?
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
            Those are nice comments on Chad and Tony... but the grades I'm a little confused on... 74 and 75... are those good?
            Considering there are 330'ish DI teams and they are ranked 170th and 139th at their positions, they are pretty decent grades.

Comment

The rank for position is decent but that really don't mean much.... I could put 10 guys in a gym and have 10 different guys rank them 1-10 and nobody would be the same...

The thing to rank is there grade and a 70+ ranking is good....

Here is the best way to look at it...

40 is the minimal grade for a D-I commit
              generally 40-55/60 is lower D-I
              55/60-80/85 is mid-major
              80-88 is BCS conference but not major players
              88-100 is top 25 D-I... UNC's, Duke, etc..
              Last edited by joeboo22; 01-30-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Here is the story on how ESPN ranks their basketball recruits.

Scouts Inc. High School Grading System

90-100: Immediate Impact Prospect

Player demonstrates rare abilities and has the potential to start as a freshman for a national, top-25 program.

80-89: High Major Prospect

Player has the potential to start or significantly contribute as a freshman for most top national Division I programs.

70-79: Major/Mid-Major Prospect

Player either can earn a scholarship to a top national Division I program or contribute significantly as a freshman at the mid-major level.

60-69: Low Division I/Mid-Major Prospect

Player has the ability to earn a scholarship to a mid-major or low Division I program.

50-59: Prospect

Player has some redeeming qualities but is not projected to contribute at the Division I level.

45: Pending Prospect w/ film

Scouts Inc. has received film of the prospect and an evaluation is pending.

40: Pending Prospect

Player evaluation is pending receipt of film.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  The rank for position is decent but that really don't mean much.... I could put 10 guys in a gym and have 10 different guys rank them 1-10 and nobody would be the same...

The thing to rank is there grade and a 70+ ranking is good....

Here is the best way to look at it...

40 is the minimal grade for a D-I commit
                  generally 40-55/60 is lower D-I
                  55/60-80/85 is mid-major
                  80-88 is BCS conference but not major players
                  88-100 is top 25 D-I... UNC's, Duke, etc..
                  I expect both the Madison recruits to be productive players for the Jacks. Have the people that rank these players actually seen them play? Or do they simply go by stats, size, recruiting attention etc?

Another player that will help the Jacks down the road is Braydon Carlson. An earlier post asked how Braydon was playing. I did not seen the game last night in Brookings but Braydon put up 33 points in a victory over Rapid City Stevens. Brookings host RC Central in Brookings at 2 PM today. Like me if you going to Brookings you can watch Braydon at 2 PM, the Lady Jacks at 5 PM and the Jackrabbit men at 7 PM. Clearly can get your basketball fix in Brookings.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                    I expect both the Madison recruits to be productive players for the Jacks. Have the people that rank these players actually seen them play? Or do they simply go by stats, size, recruiting attention etc?

Another player that will help the Jacks down the road is Braydon Carlson. An earlier post asked how Braydon was playing. I did not seen the game last night in Brookings but Braydon put up 33 points in a victory over Rapid City Stevens. Brookings host RC Central in Brookings at 2 PM today. Like me if you going to Brookings you can watch Braydon at 2 PM, the Lady Jacks at 5 PM and the Jackrabbit men at 7 PM. Clearly can get your basketball fix in Brookings.

GBGBGJ
                    Thanks for the info regarding todays game. I might just have to check the game out before the Jacks.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in any ESPN ratings, but ESPN has NDSU's recruits rated as Michael Felt 79, and Jordan Aaberg 76.

Can anybody whose seen Felt, White, & Fiegen play on their AAU team compare them in talent?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                        I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in any ESPN ratings, but ESPN has NDSU's recruits rated as Michael Felt 79, and Jordan Aaberg 76.

Can anybody whose seen Felt, White, & Fiegen play on their AAU team compare them in talent?
                        That analysis sounds a lot like what Saul has said about both players. Aaberg's is right on, he will redshirt to put some weight on and build strength, we were lucky to get him early because Oklahoma State offered him over the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post

Saw Felt play last night.He is a good player - at 6'3" he brings the ball up and has tremendous range on his shot - he made a couple of 3's that had to have been 6 or 8 feet behind the line.He has had multiple games of 30 + and he put up 32 last night,but that is somewhat misleading.He is THE offense for his team.After you took away his free throws,he went 10 for 33 from the field.He has the potential to be a nice college player,but I don't think he will come in and have a big impact right away

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Saw Felt play last night.He is a good player - at 6'3" he brings the ball up and has tremendous range on his shot - he made a couple of 3's that had to have been 6 or 8 feet behind the line.He has had multiple games of 30 + and he put up 32 last night,but that is somewhat misleading.He is THE offense for his team.After you took away his free throws,he went 10 for 33 from the field.He has the potential to be a nice college player,but I don't think he will come in and have a big impact right away
                            33 shots taken. That is a lot for one player.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              I know that the Jacks recruited Felt hard, and the Cadsev said that he would "be great" for the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kermit View Post
                                I know that the Jacks recruited Felt hard, and the Cadsev said that he would "be great" for the Jacks.
                                What are you implying? We all know the Jacks recruited him hard and what Cadsev stated, but that doesn't change the fact that he (or any freshman at our level for that matter) might not have an immediate impact. He may or may not, time will tell. Lots of players have potential, it takes development in the system to make an immediate impact and that is what we will find out next year. I don't think anyone here doubts Felt's ability or potential and I for one don't think bigticket implied that.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X