This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008-09 Recruits

Nevermind, IMO DakotaShooter is posting ridiculous statements trying to get a response. I'm ashamed I fell for it.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaShooter View Post
      Last year attendance was 1800 at home and 3000 on the road. In 2003-2004 it was 3210 at home.
      I'll take the bait. I think you are looking at the wrong numbers. Nagy runs a great program at a great institution with great fans who will support their team. We lead the nation in attendance at the DII level for several reasons and we will have capacity crowds at Frost on a regular basis in the near future. Those are facts.

Look at football. We now average more fans than the biggest game of the year use to bring in. Basketball has suffered for many reasons, all correctable. From opponent name recognition to a solid and consistent core of talented players to post-season potential. If you don't recognize all that SDSU has to offer I'm not sure we want the kind of player you might be or the kind of player you might recruit.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Well said JackMD.

Comment

One big thing with moving to D-I is to avoid the dreaded probation.... If a kid or 2 can't cut it in the classroom you get the NCAA's attention and the NCAA is like a mother-in-law if they want to find something wrong they will so its best not to have them around.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            One big thing with moving to D-I is to avoid the dreaded probation.... If a kid or 2 can't cut it in the classroom you get the NCAA's attention and the NCAA is like a mother-in-law if they want to find something wrong they will so its best not to have them around.
            Not sure if you're insinuating that somehow SD kids are less likely to get into academic problems than other kids, but I'm sure you know that is not true. There were an awful lot of people I went to college with who were on the 9 year program and/or on probation for lack of handling the classroom requirements and those weren't student athletes. Just kids from SD who drank too much beer and didn't attend class.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

No I am not saying that at all.... All I am saying is when at the D-I level you have to be very careful who you recruit not just on what they can do on the court but how they handle classes and life in general off of the court.

Comment

No I am not saying that at all.... All I am saying is when at the D-I level you have to be very careful who you recruit not just on what they can do on the court but how they handle classes and life in general off of the court.
                agreed
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

To me the biggest surprise about moving from D2 to D1, was not the size of the budget, but rather the differences in academic requirements. Under D1, they first must qualify from high school, and then once admitted, they must progress towards a degree. These matters can affect eligibilty for a given athlete.

The cry when first announced that SDSU was going D1 was; "SDSU academics will go to hell in a hand basket, if they go D1". This claim is now very laughable once you understand the academic requirements of D1. To me it now appears that D2 members can break a bunch of NCAA academic regs and get it away with it as they dont have the cerification process that D1 has in place. So whose going to hell in the hand basket? I would say D2 is.

I agree recruiting it much more of a caluculated risk at D1. I dont know if we will ever stop D1 material from leaving the state. Every individiual has to make that choice of staying or leaving.

The term inter city, does not mean much to me anymore either, as MJA said, it could mean a number of things as populations and ethnic groups have shifted significantly with relocation and mobility since the end of the 1970's.

SDSU has a diversity program, and I believe all our coaches know all about it and if it helps to promote diversity, I dont think they would hesitate to recruit any one eligble from a talent or academic prospective.

Comment

Cadsev said expect to go big is this big enough
                    Zach Peterson... 7-0/300lbs Center from Brooklyn Park MN

Scout.com has him as a 2 star recruit but hasn't generated any offers. Maybe Cadsev or any Minnesota poster can spread a little light on the kid.

Comment

I don't have time to read all 40+ pages of this thread, can someone recap where we are on recruits for next year? I know that the National Signing day is fast approaching and does anyone know who has verballed for this class. I do recall a player from Colorado, 6-7 player if my memory is correct.

I know we are losing Beran, Berte and Loney for sure after this year. This is almost all of the height on this team and I know the staff is working hard to get some good recruits with some inside presence. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Go State!!!
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                        I don't have time to read all 40+ pages of this thread, can someone recap where we are on recruits for next year? I know that the National Signing day is fast approaching and does anyone know who has verballed for this class. I do recall a player from Colorado, 6-7 player if my memory is correct.

I know we are losing Beran, Berte and Loney for sure after this year. This is almost all of the height on this team and I know the staff is working hard to get some good recruits with some inside presence. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Go State!!!
                        2 4 year scholarships available....
                        6-7 James Rader from D'Evelyn HS (4A) has verballed
                        other one I am not sure on everything being said I would guess it would be a center

Notable SD players that have verbelled
                        Colton Iverson Minnesota
                        Louie Krogram USD
                        Jared Vlastuin Drake

Comment

2 4 year scholarships available....
                          6-7 James Rader from D'Evelyn HS (4A) has verballed
                          other one I am not sure on everything being said I would guess it would be a center

Notable SD players that have verbelled
                          Colton Iverson Minnesota
                          Louie Krogram USD
                          Jared Vlastuin Drake
                          Rader is a terrific young man. His Dad's the chaplain for the Rockies, I think.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            Rader is a terrific young man. His Dad's the chaplain for the Rockies, I think.
                            That is correct. His dad is Bill Radar who is the Chaplain for the Rockies, Broncos and Avalance in Denver. Bill often comes back each year to Brookings for the Stan Marshall in June.

Comment

Does anybody know if they have had any 08 recruits on campus I think this is generally the time when you start seeing them.....

Comment

They've had quite a few players come to football games. A lot of "bigs". I just noticed them while talking to the coaches while walking by or seeing them etc. I don't usually ask who they are because I feel it's none of my business to bother them so I couldn't tell you their names.

Comment

Working...
                                X