This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008-09 Recruits

There will be a 6'8" JUCO coming in next year. Forgot his name but it sounds like we beat out a couple of local mid-majors including UW-Milwaukee for him. Committed to UNI out of high school, had some bad luck, currently maintaining a 3.6 GPA. Sounds like a decent grab.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
      There will be a 6'8" JUCO coming in next year. Forgot his name but it sounds like we beat out a couple of local mid-majors including UW-Milwaukee for him. Committed to UNI out of high school, had some bad luck, currently maintaining a 3.6 GPA. Sounds like a decent grab.
      Can somebody that knows with that be our 4 year scholarship then?

Comment

would it be Anthony Davis I believe will be a senior, plays at Southwestern Creston IA?

Comment

Signing day!!!! tomorrow

Jacks mens will sign 2
          James Rader hs out of Colorado
          and I believe Anthony Davis from a JuCo in Iowa

Women will sign 3
          Check on womens forum for those names

Other area kids
          Drake
          Jared Vlastiun

USD
          Louie Krogman (word out of USD camp is they are redshirting Pesicka and one other true sophomore)

Minnesota
          Colton Iverson

Comment

Read this in Charley Walters column in the Pioneer Press...

South Dakota State is interested in guard Brandon Smith, who is transferring from the Gophers basketball team.

link: http://www.twincities.com/walters

info on Brandon Smith at this link: http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...&Q_SEASON=2006

Also as a sidenote: looks like the Gophers inked Canadian super stud Devoe Joseph who was putting up big numbers alongside Kai at the World Championships this summer. Tubbie has quite the recruiting class coming in next fall.

Comment

Smith does not have a good history - was booted off his high school team his senior year,and Tubby asked him to leave earlier this month.The talent is there,but the attitude and work ethic have been questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                Smith does not have a good history - was booted off his high school team his senior year,and Tubby asked him to leave earlier this month.The talent is there,but the attitude and work ethic have been questionable.
                Do you have a source for that info? I find it interesting that a kid that is an A honor role student in HS becomes academically ineligible in college. Poor choices?

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                  Do you have a source for that info? I find it interesting that a kid that is an A honor role student in HS becomes academically ineligible in college. Poor choices?
                  He might benefit from being in an athletic department like SDSU's, with lower pressure, a more personal touch, and a clear emphasis on academics.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I don't think academics were the problem.When he left the Gophers,posters on Gopherhole.com said Tubby did not like the way he went about his business and was "encouraged" to consider other options.I don't have a link for the high-school situation,but if I remember correctly,it was a problem with the coach rather than academics.

Comment

Its hard to judge players in his situation.... you have to remember Tubby didn't recruit him and now Tubby has his recruits and probably doesn't think as highly of the players that are on the roster compared to the ones he is recruiting..... I don't know if SDSU will get him I don't even know if they have a scholarship for him but the fact that he is considering SDSU shows that SDSU has tuned the corner and is headed in the right direction...... I wish the best for the kid either way.....

Comment

there is a link but it doesn't work when i paste it so i will copy the story.....

Okay tried to find he story again but couldn't.....Tubby Smith basically said he wished him well and thought he would "land on his feet" and help another team out.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          I don't think academics were the problem.When he left the Gophers,posters on Gopherhole.com said Tubby did not like the way he went about his business and was "encouraged" to consider other options.I don't have a link for the high-school situation,but if I remember correctly,it was a problem with the coach rather than academics.
                          I didn't mean to indicate that academics were the reason he was dismissed but in the link to info about him at U of M it indicates that he was academically ineligible for the second semester of his freshman year. Also had a 3 game suspension (no mention of reason) last year.

Comment

It looks like (based off the game summaries on the link below) that SDSU signee Anthony Davis is having a good start to his season at Southwestern CC in Iowa. Averaging about twenty points and close to ten rebounds per game based off the limited information in the postings.

http://www.swcciowa.edu/Basketball/MBBSchedule.html
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Smith was kicked off of his high school team his senior year (Patrick Henry High School) and suspended second semester his freshmen year in college for allegedly not having enough credits. During Smith's sophomore year in college, he was suspended by Coach Monson for team rules violations. This year, Tubby and Smith "mutually agreed" that Smith should transfer. This came after practice started. Story is that Tubby wanted Smith to play the 4 spot and Smith wanted to have more of a scorer's role.

Brandon Smith is not the kind of guy you want in your program. You can't blame anyone but him for being kicked off of his high school team, academically ineligible his freshmen year and being suspended his sophomore year. I think our Jacks would be better off bypassing this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
                                Smith was kicked off of his high school team his senior year (Patrick Henry High School) and suspended second semester his freshmen year in college for allegedly not having enough credits. During Smith's sophomore year in college, he was suspended by Coach Monson for team rules violations. This year, Tubby and Smith "mutually agreed" that Smith should transfer. This came after practice started. Story is that Tubby wanted Smith to play the 4 spot and Smith wanted to have more of a scorer's role.

Brandon Smith is not the kind of guy you want in your program. You can't blame anyone but him for being kicked off of his high school team, academically ineligible his freshmen year and being suspended his sophomore year. I think our Jacks would be better off bypassing this guy.
                                I wonder if they didn't get SDSU confused with USD or NDSU.... just a guess though.... I don't know much about this guy but if Nagy is interested he must have an upside.... I don't know much but my scholarship math would say he could play for one semester here meaning he would transfer to SDSU at semester and play the Spring semester next year, im not sure though that is just how the scholarship math is panning out in my head unless he wants to walk on then its a totally different story...... Nagy has recruited a lot of players that have had troubled past or have done troubling things but I don't think atleast in my recent history he has recruited a bad team mate.....

Also with all the problems with Minnesota the past few years you see problems like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X