This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008-09 Recruits

One of JoeBoo's questions was whether the athletic dept has to actually pay the school the amount of the scholarship or whether the athlete is given, as JoeBoo characterized it, a "free education". SDSU, like most colleges and universities, requires the athletic dept to come up with the money. Some schools, however, give what amounts to a tuition waiver for scholarship athletes. In those cases, the athletic department does not have to pay the school. Of course, the money has to come from somewhere...so, in the tuition waiver cases, the cost of bringing in a student on an athletic scholarship is spread out in some fashion (it could be from a combination of sources such as student fees, contributions from the school's foundation, receipts from athletic programs, etc.). There's no free lunch.

I have been told by a college coach that he'd rather have the tuition waiver situation because the coaches are not constantly bothered by fundraising (but, somebody is doing it!).

Some schools do not give athletic scholarships (e.g. Ivy League) but who are they kidding? Many of their athletes are on scholarships but they're called academic scholarships.

SDSU's athletic department benefits greatly when a recruited athlete is a great student and is awarded an academic scholarship. In that case, the athletic department does not have to come up with the money (and, I think more importantly, the coaches have one less kid to worry about in terms of classroom performance).

I believe the overwhelming majority of schools handle athletic scholarships just like we do at SDSU.

Comment

Thanks for the response from all of you but with response I ask this question if a kid is on an academic scholarship does it still count against the ticker or if hypothetically speaking they played baseball and basketball does it count against both teams?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
        Thanks for the response from all of you but with response I ask this question if a kid is on an academic scholarship does it still count against the ticker or if hypothetically speaking they played baseball and basketball does it count against both teams?
        I believe a student only counts against his or her "primary" sport.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Jacks continue to persue Ellsworth's 6'3 185 shooting guard Cody Schilling. Other schools in persuit of this 2008 recruit include NDSU,UNI,Augie and Wisc Green Bay.

Comment

He would be an awesome recruit if we're able to get him....

Comment

Who was the kid fom Ellsworth that played with the Storm this past summer?

Comment

That would be him....Cody Schilling...or at least I would imagine it was him because Ellsworth is such a small town....

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...18/1002/SPORTS

. . . . MADISON 70, HOWARD 40 in Madison - Brady Wiebe's 28 points and 14 rebounds powered No. 4 Madison (19-2).

Chad White added 11 points and Tony Fiegen had 10 points and nine rebounds. Brian Miller had five assists. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

From an Argus news update:

The boys high school basketball game between Madison and Chester has been moved to Saturday.

The Class 5A District game will be played at 2 p.m. at Frost Arena on the South Dakota State University campus in Brookings.
                    This game was moved from tonight due to the weather..........

Comment

Madison is playing SF Christian tonight at 7:00 p.m. at the Swiftel Center in Brookings with a state tournament berth on the line.

Comment

The South Dakota Heat summer schedule is up.

www.southdakotaheat.com

The roster will be up when the high school season ends.

Comment

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/arti...441-030707.txt

Sophomore center Brennan Cougill matched Sargent for team scoring honors with 17 points and the 6-9, 260-pounder also hauled down 14 rebounds.
                          Does anybody know anything about this Coughill kid? Sounds like he has some potential. I would assume Nagy has seen him play along side of Sargent.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/arti...451-030407.txt

Cougill, the dominating 6-9, 260-pound sophomore, added 16 points and nine rebounds for the winners, who improved to 19-4 with their 11th win in a row.

This kid sounds like a stud. I wouldn't be suprised to hear Creighton in the recruiting mix for him as well, or maybe even BCS teams. He has two more years to develop.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                              http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2007/03/10/sports/scrapbooks/heelan/07/basketball/451-030407.txt

Cougill, the dominating 6-9, 260-pound sophomore, added 16 points and nine rebounds for the winners, who improved to 19-4 with their 11th win in a row.

This kid sounds like a stud. I wouldn't be suprised to hear Creighton in the recruiting mix for him as well, or maybe even BCS teams. He has two more years to develop.
                              From snooping, looks like he's got the attention of all the D-I Iowa schools, and has had an unofficial visit to Kansas . . .

It would be a major coup for us to snag someone with that kind of size.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

To me it seems like Nagy does not know what to do with a big guy... I.E. Someone 6'9" or taller. In the past we have had good luck with big men but have gone quiet on that front lately.

Comment

Working...
                                X