2010 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruits

It was announced last week that Carlson had been accepted for admission to SDSU and would be participating men's bb. No mention as to a walk on or being on scholarship.

Here is the offical press release:

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=3744521

I believe someone else explained why there was this release about Carlson. What is not stated is whether he is on scholarship or walking on this year. A lot would depend on the outcome of Anthony Davis's situation. If he cant play then Carlson would likely get his scholarship. Carlson has good grades and will get financial aid of some sort. I doubt he will not have to milk cows to earn his tuition. Lot of us have earned our tuition that way so am not knocking it. It was often the only job available.

I heard a rumor that Dyskstra was to make a visit this week. If he likes what he saw, I think we got him.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 06-02-2009, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Has to be a good sign that Jordan is on campus for a visit so soon after decomitting from Iowa State. Does anyone know how many scholarships we have available for 2010? We know Heemstra will take one of the available scholarships and Callahan,Williams and Engen graduate. Davis is still listed as a Junior on the Roster which has the appropriate classes listed now for 09-10. New players not listed yet.
      Right now 0....but one could open depending on Davis status. If he's not able to play next year that would open up a scholarship. Four are on tap for 2011 class..one is already spoken for in Zach Horstman.

Elite Camp - Monday and Tuesday for incoming Juniors and Seniors.....expect to see Hemestra, Dykstra, Sam Wallin (OG), Keaton Moffitt (OG), Cedric Lang (OG), Zach Kraning (Viborg), Cory Jacobsen (Viborg), Derek Brown (Clark), Zach Horstman and possibly Trevor Gruis.... unlikely anyone from RHS.....they aren't recruiting any of the athletes from RHS and Bartling is injured.

Wednesday and Thursday - Incoming 8th, 9th and Sophomores....who attends is anyones guess.

It's against NCAA Rules to make it exclusive and it's open to any kids who want to attend but number of participants can be controlled at a certain cut off point.

Comment

RHS Senior Jared Bartling will not be in attendance at the SDSU Elite Camp next week....earlier this afternoon he gave his verbal commitment to USD.

Madision Junior Mitch White will be at the early camp next week.

Comment

Good for him and best of luck.

I think he could be a decent role player at the U. Who knows, he might develop into a solid. IMO, as of right now, from what I've seen from him, I just don't really see him being a bigtime player at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
            Good for him and best of luck.

I think he could be a decent role player at the U. Who knows, he might develop into a solid. IMO, as of right now, from what I've seen from him, I just don't really see him being a bigtime player at the next level.
            I agree. Same as Dykstra. Big man that hates to play inside.

Comment

"Big man that hates to play inside" ???
              Need I remind you that (when the chips were on the table) in the Class 1A State Championship game, Jordan Dykstra scored 21 points, pulled down 17 rebounds, had 6 blocked shots, 4 assists, and 2 steals. I guess Jordan Dykstra is rated as the 32nd best power forward in the country (class of 2010) just because he is tall. Don't confuse his declining to make the kind of commitment ISU was asking of him, during his senior year in high school, for a lack of talent.
              I am an Iowa State graduate living in NW Iowa. We've got kids at both ISU and SDSU. If Jordan isn't going to Ames, then I hope he goes to Brookings. I have seen Jordan play a number of times, and he does have a lot of basketball talent (inside and outside).

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                Bartling can't play inside, (I'm surprised USD offered to him).... Dykstra can, the reason Dykstra at times wasn't was because everybody has been telling him to learn to hit the 3 become a SF.... he was recruited to be a 3, the reason ISU was happy to get out of the verbal was because he wasn't developing into a 3.....

I'd like to know what people in the know think. who is the better post, Dykstra or Gruis?

Comment

Originally posted by bigsag View Post
                  "Big man that hates to play inside" ???
                  Need I remind you that (when the chips were on the table) in the Class 1A State Championship game, Jordan Dykstra scored 21 points, pulled down 17 rebounds, had 6 blocked shots, 4 assists, and 2 steals. I guess Jordan Dykstra is rated as the 32nd best power forward in the country (class of 2010) just because he is tall. Don't confuse his declining to make the kind of commitment ISU was asking of him, during his senior year in high school, for a lack of talent.
                  I am an Iowa State graduate living in NW Iowa. We've got kids at both ISU and SDSU. If Jordan isn't going to Ames, then I hope he goes to Brookings. I have seen Jordan play a number of times, and he does have a lot of basketball talent (inside and outside).
                  Well put! Haven't had the opportunity to see Dykstra play yet, but grabbing 17 rebounds in the state championship game shows that he at least has the ability to go in there and bang for some boards. This was a game against debatably the 2nd best team in their class, not a stat padding effort against an inferior opponent. I'm sure he needs to get tougher and more physical in some areas before college, but how many high school juniors do you think are physically and mentally tough enough to play college ball at that age?... not many I would guess. The main thing is that he is putting forth a strong effort, for if he has the desire to be successful at the college level (along with the physical tools, which I don't think anyone is debating), the physical nature of his game will come.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

I'm sure they are exactly the same. One got offered by a Big 12 school as a freshman and led his team to a state championship his junior year. The other just received his first D1 scholarship offer from a transitional D1 school and couldn't assist in even getting his team to the state tournament even though he was teamates with one of the best SD has seen.

Exactly the same player.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I haven't seen him play so I'm just guessing but could some of that be due to his size? If your 6'9"(200+) and pushing around guys that are 6'4"(180) you could get some cheap fouls called. The theory about him being a 3 in college could work, too. Needless to say, I'll take him and I think the coaches can help him out(if he needs it).

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                        I'm sure they are exactly the same. One got offered by a Big 12 school as a freshman and led his team to a state championship his junior year. The other just received his first D1 scholarship offer from a transitional D1 school and couldn't assist in even getting his team to the state tournament even though he was teamates with one of the best SD has seen.

Exactly the same player.

Bingo! Rep. points for you

Comment

First off, Congrats to Bartling and USD. It's always good to see a SD athlete get the chance to play DI, even if it is at the U.

Secondly, Jacks fans might not want to get too far ahead of themselves, Dykstra hasn't committed to playing at SDSU. He has shown interest and has some connections with Heemstra and I believe Sargent played the same AAU team, I'm not sure if at the same time though.

If we were able to get a commit from Dykstra it would give us some really good size and a good team built around local talent.

SR G 6'4 Wolters
                          SR G 6'7 White
                          SR F 6'8 Feigen
                          SR F 6'7 Radar
                          JR F 6'9 Heemstra
                          JR F 6'9 Dykstra
                          JR G 6'5 Carlson
                          SO G 6'5 Hortsman

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            Bartling can't play inside, (I'm surprised USD offered to him).... Dykstra can, the reason Dykstra at times wasn't was because everybody has been telling him to learn to hit the 3 become a SF.... he was recruited to be a 3, the reason ISU was happy to get out of the verbal was because he wasn't developing into a 3.....

I'd like to know what people in the know think. who is the better post, Dykstra or Gruis?
                            I have seen Gruis, but have not seen Dykstra. I'm not sure either is a true post and I'm not sure they have to be. Having versatle 6'9 guys who can handle the ball, distribute it, shoot it from mid-range and long-range provides a lot of match-up challenges. We have not had a lot of players like this although I think Andy Cone got there by his senior year. If we can bulk these guys up without them losing there athleticism and show them how to use there size inside than I think the debate over who is our true post player is irrelevant. I'm hopeful we can figure out a way to get both Dykstra and Gruis. I like some things that Bartling can do, but as Cadsev has said he just does not do it on a consistent basis. One other point regarding whether these guys are true posts. We have to remember especially for the small town players these guys are playing against opponents who may have a front line of a 6'2 or 6'3 player and they are typically are getting double or triple teamed so they have never really got the opportunity to play the role they most likely will play in college and certainly will be challenged for the first time against players of similiar size and skillset other than AAU ball which is why that is a better place to evaluate their talent even though sometimes is turns into a game like at the local Healthclub. This is where having the right coaching staff to help them find and elevate their college game is ciritical.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

Ya, the 23 rebounds that Bartling pulled down to set the RHS single game record this past season all careemed off the rim and rolled to half court where he picked them up and got credited for a rebound. He plays with a 6'9" kid along side of him and so does Dykstra. Many consider Dykstra more of a 5 than any other position....just because a kid is on the perimeter doesn't mean they won't or can't go inside....and one needs to consider the offense implemented by the coach as well.

Dykstra would be a tremendous recruit for SDSU if they can land him....would deepen the talent pool already assembled at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                                First off, Congrats to Bartling and USD. It's always good to see a SD athlete get the chance to play DI, even if it is at the U.

Secondly, Jacks fans might not want to get too far ahead of themselves, Dykstra hasn't committed to playing at SDSU. He has shown interest and has some connections with Heemstra and I believe Sargent played the same AAU team, I'm not sure if at the same time though.

If we were able to get a commit from Dykstra it would give us some really good size and a good team built around local talent.

SR G 6'4 Wolters
                                SR G 6'7 White
                                SR F 6'8 Feigen
                                SR F 6'7 Radar
                                JR F 6'9 Heemstra
                                JR F 6'9 Dykstra
                                JR G 6'5 Carlson
                                SO G 6'5 Hortsman

You can't win with local talent...what the heck!

Comment

Working...
                                X