GDT: Jacks vs. UNI Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jacks vs. UNI Panthers

Here's the hard, cold truth. This isn't a good team. We show flashes at times, and hopefully we can somewhat hold serve at home. Road games are gonna require lots of alcohol, though. This is more than a work in progress.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      Here's the hard, cold truth. This isn't a good team. We show flashes at times, and hopefully we can somewhat hold serve at home. Road games are gonna require lots of alcohol, though. This is more than a work in progress.
      I disagree with you, mostly. This isn't a team, yet. We know all the cogs are there to make it work, but the cogs need to work together to make the whole machine work. Each player is good, but they still haven't figured out how to work together correctly to be the great team they could be. Some of you may have given up on the Jackrabbits, but I trust in these players, these coaches, and the process.

I'm a Jackrabbit, and it's going to take a lot more than a loss on the road to a good team to make me think anything different of them.
      Rollin' in my 5.0
      With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
      Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Minimal rebounding and scoring from the bench and half the starters, not a good sign.

Comment

Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I think right now we have had success in one defense so we didn't change out of our zone even though we were shot out of the game. If we had previous success in man to man defense we would have switched to it, but we kept on waiting for them to cool down from the arc and it didn't happen. One of the Main reasons for the zone is to keep Daum out of foul trouble and in the floor. Either we need to get good at team man to man or any team that gets hot from the arc will eat our lunch.

Comment

Why in the heck didn't the coaching staff make adjustments when UNI couldn't miss from 3? You DO NOT play zone against shooting teams (unless your zone D is up to the level of Boehiems zone). I almost want to put this one on the coaches.

I want to see a lineup of King, Flatten, Hess, Telly, and Daum. I also want to start seeing Dykman over Theisen to see what he can give. Right now Theisen isn't doing anything for me. I'm just glad that the SLT is at Frost South and that we only need to win 3 games in Sioux Falls. This team still has potential.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
                I think right now we have had success in one defense so we didn't change out of our zone even though we were shot out of the game. If we had previous success in man to man defense we would have switched to it, but we kept on waiting for them to cool down from the arc and it didn't happen. One of the Main reasons for the zone is to keep Daum out of foul trouble and in the floor. Either we need to get good at team man to man or any team that gets hot from the arc will eat our lunch.
                UNI isn't an athletic team. Our man to man defense would have been fine. This team needs to be more disciplined. That is what Nagy brought and got out of his players.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  So UNI set a team record and MVC record for 3s made in a game. We played zone the entire time. Shouldn't we have tried something, anything, different? So embarrassing.
                  Because this team cannot defend man-to-man. Between keeping Daum out of foul trouble and not having the ability individually to keep their man in front of them - this is simply a collection of athletes who are not very good defensively.

Thus the 1-3-1.
                  Thus the insistence on staying in a zone.

At some point in time this team has to figure it out. Sometimes you're doing things in a game that will help, benefit and pay dividends for games down the road. The insistence to stay on a zone is not so much to come back and beat UNI (which would've been nice) but it is more about beating NDSU and USD down the road!

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

At some point in time this team has to figure it out. Sometimes you're doing things in a game that will help, benefit and pay dividends for games down the road. The insistence to stay on a zone is not so much to come back and beat UNI (which would've been nice) but it is more about beating NDSU and USD down the road!
                    I don't buy this. If we aren't going to give ourselves a chance to win the game, why are we even playing it? This is the same mindset we used to make fun of USD fans for having when their only games that matter were against SDSU. I get we need practice on the 1-3-1, but we are also going to need practice on some other defensive options down the road.

Comment

It was an ugly game.

Seemed like they went about 8 minutes stuck at 9 points. I'm not sure how long it was, but that's how long it felt.

Going to be games like this, just hope we see less of them as the season goes on. To think we'll solve the issues and then just roll is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                        UNI isn't an athletic team. Our man to man defense would have been fine. This team needs to be more disciplined. That is what Nagy brought and got out of his players.
                        That's funny.

Thanks for the laugh.

Good luck this year.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                          Because this team cannot defend man-to-man. Between keeping Daum out of foul trouble and not having the ability individually to keep their man in front of them - this is simply a collection of athletes who are not very good defensively.

Thus the 1-3-1.
                          Thus the insistence on staying in a zone.

I've watched the board for a long time but I've had no desire to post until just recently. I'm sorry but with that kind of mindset we are in big trouble. This program was well on the way being a program that is fully capable of winning a game in the tournament. But now we are strictly running a lazy 1-3-1 zone to prepare for the coyotes!!! Maybe I am the only one that finds that funny. As a student I will support the jacks through wins and losses but I'll admit it will be very tough especially if our defense is that horrendous.
                          From what I hear the players like tj and tj made a strong impression on them when he first met them but something really stuck out to me from what I heard. Otz said something the first time he was introduced to them to the effect we are going to run and shoot a lot of threes, I'm not worried about defense we will worry about defense later. (Something to that nature). What a culture change from Nagy to him, and I'm sure the players ate that up. I'm not sure if that was to get their buy in to get hired or if that's his true belief, but either way I'll take defense all day over offense.

I hope otz can figure things out as there is talent there, and hopefully his Wisconsin recruits will be able to play his system but right now I don't see an identity to this team other than a 1-3-1 zone...and that scares me a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                            I don't buy this. If we aren't going to give ourselves a chance to win the game, why are we even playing it? This is the same mindset we used to make fun of USD fans for having when their only games that matter were against SDSU.
                            He just told you why we play it. To improve for conference season. The reality of college basketball for our conference is that the only games that matter are conference games.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              He just told you why we play it. To improve for conference season. The reality of college basketball for our conference is that the only games that matter are conference games.
                              I would not agree that conference games are the only thing that matters. A successful season might require a steady improvement and a competitive team. I would like to believe that I attend the nonconference games for a reason other than practicing my routine for the conference. The Jackrabbit MBB reality is that there has been underachievement up to this point as the players and coaches find that formula. Normally, one of the top 2 seeds going into the conference tournament win and go to the dance. The exception since 1994 was Oakland in 2005. Some are talking about 3 games in Sioux Falls, but without a good resume heading into conference play might be compared to urinating in the wind. The team might be like the 7 seed Griz in 2005, but I would like quicker results to look like a top 2 seed. We are less than 3 weeks from the tipoff of the conference. Saturday would be a great day to turn the Idaho game around from the first match at their place.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Listen JT, or JT's brother or wcbsas or whoever you really are there isn't enough feed lot compost that you can shovel to convince anybody that playing a 1-3-1 against a team that makes 20 three-pointers (yes, you read that right 20 three-pointers) is a good strategy.

Comment

Working...
                                X