Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jacks vs. UNI Panthers

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    So do people really believe that this team's record would be that much better if Nagy was still here ? The roster would be basically the same - the only player that we knew Nagy was recruiting was El Darwich, who ended up here anyway. So instead of Marshall, Parks, Bittle and Moffitt we would still have Gentry, who is an under-sized point guard who doesn't appear to be a scorer, King who is a tough defensive oriented player who doesn't have the handles to play the point and is also kind of under-sized to play the two, and freshman El Darwich. Regardless of who is coaching this team, Daum was not going to get results like last season because we lost three proven scorers and teams can now concentrate on him and dare the rest of the team to beat them. Yes, the defense would probably be better with Nagy but I don't know that his offensive scheme would work very well with these players. So if being a Nagy realist makes me an Otz apologist so be it. And I highly doubt that Billeter and Miller would do much better with this group of players.
    I would say undoubtedly the defense would be better.

Our offense was terrible to watch last night anyway due to our guards' inability to get us into the offense on multiple occasions. That's because UNI is a good defensive team.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post

Our offense was terrible to watch last night anyway due to our guards' inability to get us into the offense on multiple occasions. That's because UNI is a good defensive team.
      This.

I think people forget just how good UNI is as a team. Granted, the men's play wasnt great but they could end up being one of the better teams we play. This out of conference schedule would be tough with the guys we lost to graduation.

Want to blame someone for the struggles this season so far? How about Nagy for not having a guy ready to replace the guards we lost.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        This.

I think people forget just how good UNI is as a team. Granted, the men's play wasnt great but they could end up being one of the better teams we play. This out of conference schedule would be tough with the guys we lost to graduation.

Want to blame someone for the struggles this season so far? How about Nagy for not having a guy ready to replace the guards we lost.
        We have a bingo!

Comment

The offense hasn't scored over 60 pts in 5 out of 9 division 1 games... offense is definitely an issue when you can't score 60

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
            The offense hasn't scored over 60 pts in 5 out of 9 division 1 games... offense is definitely an issue when you can't score 60
            Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you there either. The team is a mess right now both offensively and defensively.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              This.

Want to blame someone for the struggles this season so far? How about Nagy for not having a guy ready to replace the guards we lost

You were on a roll until we get to blame Nagy. There is still 3 weeks before we get to conference. The Jackrabbits need a guard or two to step up play. Remember that Parks and Marshall came as juniors similar to our current situation with Wallace plus we have King with a year of experience and RS Gentry with a year around the team. Flatten has been here 3 years. There is plenty of resource at the guard position. There is also Orris, El Darwich, and Howell. I am believing we need a better performance from the guards that are here and deliver the talent the coaches saw when they were recruited. Underclassmen can be positive difference makers. It is up to the coaches and players on the Jackrabbit team to claim the struggles.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

so we would have lost 54 - 32 instead of 86-59 or whatever the final score was. It seems this team has a confidence problem. We shot well against Mil and UMKC and both were good wins (UMKC better). Last night the shots weren't falling and we weren't quick enough to adjust on defense. We are going to have those nights. The fact that we already have "fans" on here and on Twitter screaming for TJ to be fired is funny, and embarrassing. Everyone needs to relax. This is not a good year for the Summit in Men's BB. NDSU got pummeled by UND last night. Omaha, DU, ORU have all had really bad losses in the past week. The only team that has shown any life is IPFW. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and see what happens.

And yes, Nagy would be losing right now. We lost 4... 4... 4 senior guards who ran this team. We will survive.

Comment

I can't think of any teams that consistently run a 1-3-1. Are there any?

Prolly because of Nagy I'm partial to a good man defense. I remember times we ran a man with big guards. I also remember times we struggled mightily with it. Like any defense it takes time to work out the kinks.

I'm not convinced we can be successful in the 1-3-1. Just seems like we consistently give up great 3 point looks.

As far as last night is concerned. Ugly ugly ugly. It wasn't just the defense. We weren't good offensively. Our offensive struggles don't help our defense at all. Last night wouldn't have been as ugly if we could have been even mediocre on the offensive end.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                    so we would have lost 54 - 32 instead of 86-59 or whatever the final score was. It seems this team has a confidence problem. We shot well against Mil and UMKC and both were good wins (UMKC better). Last night the shots weren't falling and we weren't quick enough to adjust on defense. We are going to have those nights. The fact that we already have "fans" on here and on Twitter screaming for TJ to be fired is funny, and embarrassing. Everyone needs to relax. This is not a good year for the Summit in Men's BB. NDSU got pummeled by UND last night. Omaha, DU, ORU have all had really bad losses in the past week. The only team that has shown any life is IPFW. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and see what happens.

And yes, Nagy would be losing right now. We lost 4... 4... 4 senior guards who ran this team. We will survive.
                    Who is screaming for TJ to be fired?

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                      You were on a roll until we get to blame Nagy. There is still 3 weeks before we get to conference. The Jackrabbits need a guard or two to step up play. Remember that Parks and Marshall came as juniors similar to our current situation with Wallace plus we have King with a year of experience and RS Gentry with a year around the team. Flatten has been here 3 years. There is plenty of resource at the guard position. There is also Orris, El Darwich, and Howell. I am believing we need a better performance from the guards that are here and deliver the talent the coaches saw when they were recruited. Underclassmen can be positive difference makers. It is up to the coaches and players on the Jackrabbit team to claim the struggles.
                      Exactly

Comment

Umkc and milwaukee were good wins?? Or wins?

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                          I don't buy this. If we aren't going to give ourselves a chance to win the game, why are we even playing it? This is the same mindset we used to make fun of USD fans for having when their only games that matter were against SDSU. I get we need practice on the 1-3-1, but we are also going to need practice on some other defensive options down the road.
                          You can't play man-to-man defense if the players aren't suited for it. And if the players aren't suited for it then you've got to do something else. And you can't wake up tomorrow and be immediately good at something new - it takes time!

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                            You can't play man-to-man defense if the players aren't suited for it. And if the players aren't suited for it then you've got to do something else. And you can't wake up tomorrow and be immediately good at something new - it takes time!
                            Sometimes you need to make adjustments as coaches

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                              Umkc and milwaukee were good wins?? Or wins?
                              At this point all wins are good. But yeah, UMKC was missing their 2nd leading scorer (16 PPG) and Milwaukee sucks.

Comment

This is not a good year for the Summit in Men's BB. NDSU got pummeled by UND last night. Omaha, DU, ORU have all had really bad losses in the past week. The only team that has shown any life is IPFW. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and see what happens.
                                So the Summit is way down? You may be right, but if that's the case we better not finish any lower than 3rd because if we are worse than 3rd in a year the entire league is down, what does that say about us?

Comment

Working...
                                X