Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jacks vs. UNI Panthers

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    He just told you why we play it. To improve for conference season. The reality of college basketball for our conference is that the only games that matter are conference games.
    Perhaps showing the team how to switch into a different defense when they're getting their brains beat in would be a valuable tool in prepping for the conference season.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsiouxjack View Post
      Listen JT, or JT's brother or wcbsas or whoever you really are there isn't enough feed lot compost that you can shovel to convince anybody that playing a 1-3-1 against a team that makes 20 three-pointers (yes, you read that right 20 three-pointers) is a good strategy.
      Is TJ so embarrassed about the loss that he decided to switch his initials around so people wouldn't recognize him?

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
        Why in the heck didn't the coaching staff make adjustments when UNI couldn't miss from 3? You DO NOT play zone against shooting teams (unless your zone D is up to the level of Boehiems zone). I almost want to put this one on the coaches.

I want to see a lineup of King, Flatten, Hess, Telly, and Daum. I also want to start seeing Dykman over Theisen to see what he can give. Right now Theisen isn't doing anything for me. I'm just glad that the SLT is at Frost South and that we only need to win 3 games in Sioux Falls. This team still has potential.
        Do you really think that Boehiem's zone was as good as it is now after 11 games of playing it. People think that zone is playing lazy defense and all you do is stand around and is taking the easy way out. If you would watch a team that plays a lot of zone like Syracuse you would see that that isn't true. You are constantly moving somewhere whether it is to cover the guy with the ball or dropping down and taking away the back side. If you are playing it the right way it is actually probably harder than man to man.

I'm just like everyone else, I want to see us win but I also know that it is going to take time. If you start doing something and it doesn't work right away do you just quit doing it and do something else or do you keep working on it until you get it right? One thing I did like to see last night and would like to see more of was the 3-2 zone. You can play kind of like a match-up zone with that.

Last night was not good but UNI got hot and ya most of there shot were uncontested but a lot of them were deep threes. Three's that you would let most teams shoot but last night they were knocking them down. It happens.

One last thing, everyone wanting to see more of one player and less of another are you guys going to the practices? Do you know what they are doing in practice? Maybe they are getting the chance in practice and not producing. If you cant do it in practice you aren't going to see the floor in a game. None of us know what is going on at practice to say one player is better than another. I guarantee there are reason people aren't seeing the floor.

Actually this is the last thing. I understand that Nagy was around for a long time and he was very successful while he was here but he isn't here anymore and he isn't coming back. Jackrabbit basketball is not going to be the same it was for the last 20 years. The sooner everyone accepts that the easier it will get. We are a zone team now and I don't see that changing.

Comment

For all you Otz apologists, if you ponder this for even a few moments you have to acknowledge our team would not have taken this many steps back had we hired Billeter or Miller or almost anyone else.
          We had a 20 plus win team with the pre-season Summit player of the year. It is legit HARD to screw that up! Honestly I think if my golden retriever was prowling the sidelines instead of "wcbsas"... err I mean TJ this team would be 7 and 4 (at worst) instead of 4 and 7.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            He just told you why we play it. To improve for conference season. The reality of college basketball for our conference is that the only games that matter are conference games.
            I'm all for improvement leading up to the conference season, but it shouldn't keep you from at least being competitive in games during the non-conference season. The non-conference schedule may not be important until a team makes the tournament, but it can help immensely with your seeding once you get there. With that said, if a team or it's fans are using the excuse that they are losing by 25 and allowing their opponent to break their record for the number of threes hit(while we make no defensive adjustments) in order "to improve for conference season," we probably have to worry more about our seed in the Summit tournament rather than worry at all about the NCAA Tournament. I realize I need to learn to adjust my expectations, but it's not easy.

Comment

We're only 11 games in, it might be a little early for the Miller supporters to be rushing in with "I told you so" posts. Good grief.

Comment

Originally posted by CasualJacksFan View Post
                For all you Otz apologists, if you ponder this for even a few moments you have to acknowledge our team would not have taken this many steps back had we hired Billeter or Miller or almost anyone else.
                We had a 20 plus win team with the pre-season Summit player of the year. It is legit HARD to screw that up! Honestly I think if my golden retriever was prowling the sidelines instead of "wcbsas"... err I mean TJ this team would be 7 and 4 (at worst) instead of 4 and 7.
                You realize how much they lost from last year, right? SDSU is basically playing brand new guards. It's great with have the Summit Player of the Year, but getting the ball to him has been hard because our guards just aren't very good right now.

And get out of here with the Miller crap. There's a reason he hasn't found a head coaching position yet. I'm not sure what it is but there has to be a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                  You realize how much they lost from last year, right? SDSU is basically playing brand new guards. It's great with have the Summit Player of the Year, but getting the ball to him has been hard because our guards just aren't very good right now.

And get out of here with the Miller crap. There's a reason he hasn't found a head coaching position yet. I'm not sure what it is but there has to be a reason.
                  I'm not sure what you're insinuating but I would imagine it's the same reason TJ had not had a head coaching job yet. They are both about 40 and career assistants that had not yet been given a chance. Pretty common I think.

Comment

Even Skip Bayless thinks this post is ridiculous.

Comment

I'm not sure what you're insinuating but I would imagine it's the same reason TJ had not had a head coaching job yet. They are both about 40 and career assistants that had not yet been given a chance. Pretty common I think.
                      I'm not insinuating anything but he's interviewed at enough places that I would figure someone would take a chance on him. Maybe the reason is he just doesn't interview well.

Comment

Isn't this the guy who showed up during the job search and hasn't been back since? *checks post history* Yup, move along.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

The only time I've wanted a Miller on an SDSU bench is when Macie is getting a rest for the WBB team.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

This might be the dumbest post I have seen on here.

You are right we had a 20 plus win season and have the pre-season player of the year but you are forgetting some important aspects of what we lost and have to replace. Not even talking about the coaching staff and all that involves replacing that because we had to replace that regardless of who the new coach was TJ or the "almighty" miller (who has also never done this so you don't know what he would have done).

So for what we lost when it comes to players.
                            Senior Deondre Parks 32 min/gm 14.9 pts/gm 4.6 reb/gm New comer of the year 2015 1st team all-conf 2015 HM all-conf 2016
                            Senior George Marshal 34 min/gm 14.9 pts/gm 3.4 reb/gm 2nd team all-conf 2015 All-new comer team 2015 1st team all-conf 2016
                            Senior Jake Bittle 25.5 min/gm 8.5 pts/gm 4.6 reb/gm HM all-conf 2015
                            Senior Keaton Moffitt 23.3 min/gm 5.6 pts/gm 4.4 reb/gm did more for the team than just what the stats showed

That is 4 senior guards the we lost in one year. Who accounted for 50% of min played, 53% of pts scored, and 40% of reb, not mention the experience of have senior guards, from last year. At this level you don't just replace that. Especially with going through a coaching change at the same time. We are trying to replace that with a Sophomore, JC transfer Junior, Sophomore, and a freshman in King, Wallace, Gentry, and El Darwich. That's asking a lot to expect them to be as good as what we lost.

If people are ready to give up on this team and this coach because we aren't winning after what we lost. You need to go be a fan of Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, and Duke because those are just about the only programs that it doesn't matter what you lose from the year before.

Comment

It's only december... time to be concerned yes... but no reason to panic yet... last night may of been dumbest coaching decision not to make any adjustments when a team is on fire.. also shows lack of confidence in his players to d up..hopefully tj can also learn from last night....that all being said..only thing that matters is 3 days in march in sf

Comment

So do people really believe that this team's record would be that much better if Nagy was still here ? The roster would be basically the same - the only player that we knew Nagy was recruiting was El Darwich, who ended up here anyway. So instead of Marshall, Parks, Bittle and Moffitt we would still have Gentry, who is an under-sized point guard who doesn't appear to be a scorer, King who is a tough defensive oriented player who doesn't have the handles to play the point and is also kind of under-sized to play the two, and freshman El Darwich. Regardless of who is coaching this team, Daum was not going to get results like last season because we lost three proven scorers and teams can now concentrate on him and dare the rest of the team to beat them. Yes, the defense would probably be better with Nagy but I don't know that his offensive scheme would work very well with these players. So if being a Nagy realist makes me an Otz apologist so be it. And I highly doubt that Billeter and Miller would do much better with this group of players.

Comment

Working...
                                X