Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pet peeves

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    This one has been bugging me for a while. The pep band cannot play the fight song correctly. Invariably, the tempo shifts all over the place during the song and the audience has to adjust. Most people around me just give up and stop clapping. I have asked around and I'm not the only one who has noticed. That's bad enough, but more generally, the pep band has been very weak in recent years. It's a tiny group, for one thing (watching Purdue/Iowa right now, and the band is about twice the size of ours (and Purdue has no music program.) To their credit, our pep band has worked in some new songs, but many of their songs are the same ones they played 25 or 30 years ago (Star Wars theme? Really?)

I thought maybe seeing some of the more dynamic pep bands in the league at the Summit tourney might improve ours. It hasn't.

The Pride is one thing. They have been amazing for decades and their new role in football has only made them an even bigger part of the football gameday experience. The pep band? Not so much. Nothing against the kids themselves (they are paid for being there, by the way). But the band is really not a big part of the game. Everywhere else I have been (Iowa, Purdue, Oklahoma), the pep band has been a huge part of the spirit of the student section, even leading cheers. I think SDSU can do better. The Pride proves that.

And now I will stand back and wait for the hysterical "SDSU's pep band is awesome" posts from people whose frame of reference is their local high school pep band.
    I agree 100%. The fight song seemed to start too fast,and then slowed to the usual pace. And our high school pep band plays a much newer variety of music. It's great to have some oldies mixed in there, but c'mon man.

Comment

Funny you mention that. I finally got to a couple basketball games after a few years away and I just thought my rhythm was off...

Comment

What!? You dare to challenge the band? What's this world coming to? Will someone now be so bold as to suggest the dance team sure looks like a better outfit when wearing a better outfit (as in no bare midriffs -- they did a great job during the NDSU game)???

Comment

The biggest problem with the band, IMO, is the need to pay the bills. SDSU has a continuous stream of corporate messages being played during any stoppage. Can't really blame the band for not getting into the game as much as at other places. From what I recall of major venues, nobody has anywhere close to the ad inventory as SDSU.

I'm glad they moved the band near the visiting bench./
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Seeing the SDSU band go head-to-head with Oakland's at the Summit Tournament is always an eye opener. I too thought that would be a spark that might lead to some changes.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              The biggest problem with the band, IMO, is the need to pay the bills. SDSU has a continuous stream of corporate messages being played during any stoppage. Can't really blame the band for not getting into the game as much as at other places. From what I recall of major venues, nobody has anywhere close to the ad inventory as SDSU.

I'm glad they moved the band near the visiting bench./
              Summit league tourney has same number of corporate ads if not even more and the other bands seem to do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                This one has been bugging me for a while. The pep band cannot play the fight song correctly. Invariably, the tempo shifts all over the place during the song and the audience has to adjust. Most people around me just give up and stop clapping. I have asked around and I'm not the only one who has noticed. That's bad enough, but more generally, the pep band has been very weak in recent years. It's a tiny group, for one thing (watching Purdue/Iowa right now, and the band is about twice the size of ours (and Purdue has no music program.) To their credit, our pep band has worked in some new songs, but many of their songs are the same ones they played 25 or 30 years ago (Star Wars theme? Really?)

I thought maybe seeing some of the more dynamic pep bands in the league at the Summit tourney might improve ours. It hasn't.

The Pride is one thing. They have been amazing for decades and their new role in football has only made them an even bigger part of the football gameday experience. The pep band? Not so much. Nothing against the kids themselves (they are paid for being there, by the way). But the band is really not a big part of the game. Everywhere else I have been (Iowa, Purdue, Oklahoma), the pep band has been a huge part of the spirit of the student section, even leading cheers. I think SDSU can do better. The Pride proves that.

And now I will stand back and wait for the hysterical "SDSU's pep band is awesome" posts from people whose frame of reference is their local high school pep band.
                See post #88 below by NoVaJack
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  Summit league tourney has same number of corporate ads if not even more and the other bands seem to do just fine.
                  I'm just saying the ads are more intrusive than any other college venue I've been to. I would love to hear the bands play more, both in Frost and at the Summit. Just my opinion.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'm just saying the ads are more intrusive than any other college venue I've been to. I would love to hear the bands play more, both in Frost and at the Summit. Just my opinion.
                    But who will pay the bills. The band people are just students. They dont have the corporate cash that those ads bring in. So guess who wins out. Just my opinion,too. To hear musicians play is refreshing, but not in the world of D1 athletics.

Comment

• Re: Pet peeves

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      But who will pay the bills. The band people are just students. They dont have the corporate cash that those ads bring in. So guess who wins out. Just my opinion,too. To hear musicians play is refreshing, but not in the world of D1 athletics.
                      Sounds like a sponsorship opportunity:

The (Larson Manufacturing or whoever) SDSU Pep Band
                      (now with a drummer with a sense of rhythm!)
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        I understand the financial reality, and don't expect it to change, and I'm ok with that. I'm just saying I'm not a huge fan. It makes me wonder how other schools can pay the bills without it, though.

I will say that it seems a little silly to run nearly identical promotions for 2 sports bars and 2 real estate agencies (maybe there are others)... Seems like there is a chance to do something a little more creative, although I am far from an expert in the matter...

Comment

It's not a complaint unique to SDSU. www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?43960-FB-rant-from-a -long-time-fan

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            It's not a complaint unique to SDSU. www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?43960-FB-rant-from-a -long-time-fan
                            Interesting. I didn't notice it much (at all) when they played SDSU. The "shine" of a Big 10 arena may have skewed my perception. Thanks for the insight.

Regardless, they do it to pay the bills, and I get that. Just wish it wasn't so.

Comment

the Louisville (sp.) pep band was a mix of students and alumni at the womens bb tournament game at Xavier. and I think at some of the major U's they are a mix.

Comment

Here's my pet peeve:

People picking one particular statistic (e.g. bench scoring) and harping on it regardless of context:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...AFhZhvU#t=313s

Comment

Working...
                                X