• Show
Clear All

Re: Pet peeves

Lessee . . .

Seemingly psychotropic-drug-inspired changes to Frost Arena seating---check
    Somnambulant State Cadence---check
    Pep band drummer with no discernible sense of rhythm--check
    "blue and gold"---check

Yeah, those are some good ones. Sad to say, some of them are perennials . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Also, someone please tell me if I'm crazy, re: the loudness of last year's student section vs. this year's student section.

It wasn't great last year, but it just seems dead this year. There is one group of guys trying to start (lame, copied) cheers and then everyone else standing.

But if that is better than last year, someone (other than LinkJack) please let me know.
      It was definitely better last year. It was sweet last year in the game on ESPNU having the student section there all jumping around and being loud. I wasn't able to attend that game but it sure looked a lot better than what it does now. Now you have people in that section who rarely cheer loud, or stand up, and that annoying blue barrier. Looks bad on TV. The NDSU, USD, and bracket busters games last year were great in terms of student attendance and being loud.

You're right, RO ... not enough student seating now. Just wait until the NDSU and USD games come around, there will be a huge overflow of students standing there at the top. I have been displeased thus year with the students being on both ends, just don't feel like they are as loud as last year.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
        It was definitely better last year. It was sweet last year in the game on ESPNU having the student section there all jumping around and being loud. I wasn't able to attend that game but it sure looked a lot better than what it does now. Now you have people in that section who rarely cheer loud, or stand up, and that annoying blue barrier. Looks bad on TV. The NDSU, USD, and bracket busters games last year were great in terms of student attendance and being loud.

You're right, RO ... not enough student seating now. Just wait until the NDSU and USD games come around, there will be a huge overflow of students standing there at the top. I have been displeased thus year with the students being on both ends, just don't feel like they are as loud as last year.
        I'm alright with it being at both ends if there is the same amount of room as there was before. I don't like the ends as much, but I realize that SDSU can make more money that way. What pisses me off is that when they switch it to both ends, there isn't as much seating. Then the band gets added in and there is even less. That is bull****.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

It is not rocket science for the students to make noise. That is what they have called a cheer team. They have been improving the lifts and jumping and the dance, but cheer team needs to encourage some noise at the right time. It was only a few years ago when the guys with megaphones yelled through those things and pounded on those things to help steer the cheers. You may even be able to split the cheer team between the ends and coordinate the ends!! As far as the seating, I still think that they made the seating for old people and not young people. They do not neeed the deep seats and long leg room. The old bleachers to the floor were a "throwback" bleacher, but you could pack them in and numbers make noise. If I wanted to see better, I came earlier and sat up a few rows. The students may stand all game and cure that part. The band would fit in the reserved seating across the way behind the visitiing team. I still have not seen that area fill in yet. Keep the noise behind the visitors. The students deserve more space and it could be made by redoing those ends for students, not for comfort like it appears now.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Edit
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
              The band would fit in the reserved seating across the way behind the visitiing team. I still have not seen that area fill in yet.
              The visiting team gets those seats right behind the bench.I would guess that putting the band in that area is not a possibility because of noise during time-outs.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                The visiting team gets those seats right behind the bench.I would guess that putting the band in that area is not a possibility because of noise during time-outs.
                There r seats east of the section behind the bench. The second section is given to visitors down low. Take a look at the far east area orrrrr put band east in upper level. It is at least addressing the space by looking around.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

back to Oakland U they have two rows reserved seating behind the bench for parents and friends for the opposing team. the rest of the section is for their students. in the end zone and pretty close to the visitors bench is the pep band general admission student seating and cheerleaders, dance team. so what you got is a pretty crowed little corner. during timeouts the band plays and the students yell making it very difficult for the opposing coaches and players to communicate. when not playing the pep band is yelling. even with a small crowd in the Orena that place is noisey. State students could learn something from them.

Comment

Anyone who watched the Summit tournament knows the antics of Oakland band.

Comment

Anyone who watched the Summit tournament knows the antics of Oakland band.
                      Yes, they are always impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                        Allright, that brings one up for me. I love the State Cadence. You know, "ooooohhh, one, two, three, four, tell the people who we're for....."

The way the Cheer Team is doing it is way, way to slow. We used to bang that thing out loud and proud with the aid of the drums from the Pep Band. I hate this version, which almost nobody gets into.

Hey, Jacks#1Fan, am I right on this? Nobody loves that cheer more than you! Let's get that things rocking again.

SUPERBUNNY
                        The good Lord knows that we have tried. Talked to the "supervisors" last year and this year. 10% improvement recently still doesn't cut it at all. For awhile, I just gave up because I couldn't stand standing up and going through the slow version.

Comment

The concept of cheer team has been lost over the years. The tumbling, jumping, and lifting are now some type of standard here rather than "cheer" leaders. The dance team is quite enough of the syncronized stuff for me. The "cheer" leaders can be active during the game to help the volume as needed.

Comment

The concept of cheer team has been lost over the years. The tumbling, jumping, and lifting are now some type of standard here rather than "cheer" leaders. The dance team is quite enough of the syncronized stuff for me. The "cheer" leaders can be active during the game to help the volume as needed.
                            All of this can be solved with cowbells.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              All of this can be solved with cowbells.
                              Would we get a variance of the rule on cowbells for Saturday?

Comment

This one has been bugging me for a while. The pep band cannot play the fight song correctly. Invariably, the tempo shifts all over the place during the song and the audience has to adjust. Most people around me just give up and stop clapping. I have asked around and I'm not the only one who has noticed. That's bad enough, but more generally, the pep band has been very weak in recent years. It's a tiny group, for one thing (watching Purdue/Iowa right now, and the band is about twice the size of ours (and Purdue has no music program.) To their credit, our pep band has worked in some new songs, but many of their songs are the same ones they played 25 or 30 years ago (Star Wars theme? Really?)

I thought maybe seeing some of the more dynamic pep bands in the league at the Summit tourney might improve ours. It hasn't.

The Pride is one thing. They have been amazing for decades and their new role in football has only made them an even bigger part of the football gameday experience. The pep band? Not so much. Nothing against the kids themselves (they are paid for being there, by the way). But the band is really not a big part of the game. Everywhere else I have been (Iowa, Purdue, Oklahoma), the pep band has been a huge part of the spirit of the student section, even leading cheers. I think SDSU can do better. The Pride proves that.

And now I will stand back and wait for the hysterical "SDSU's pep band is awesome" posts from people whose frame of reference is their local high school pep band.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X