Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frost gets upgrade

Originally posted by goon View Post
    By having better seats are you going to be donating more to sdsu or buying more season tickets? having those as empty seats on the side of the court by guys who want better seats for 3 games a year who have season tickets is shortchanging students, even though some like Jackmd wont see it that way.
    This move isn't about jackmd (regardless of what he thinks ).

This move is about people like me who don't have season tickets but would consider them if I didn't have to sit in the upper east or west corners. I will probably be calling Ned Gavlick sometime in the next week to learn more, and I would guess there are a fair number of people like me.

Honestly, we NEED more season ticket chairbacks. The only place to put them was where they are going. You can't really put chairbacks above the current student section because the students stand the whole time. I certainly wouldn't buy a season ticket behind the student section.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

This move is about people like me who don't have season tickets but would consider them if I didn't have to sit in the upper east or west corners. I will probably be calling Ned Gavlick sometime in the next week to learn more, and I would guess there are a fair number of people like me.

Honestly, we NEED more season ticket chairbacks. The only place to put them was where they are going. You can't really put chairbacks above the current student section because the students stand the whole time. I certainly wouldn't buy a season ticket behind the student section.
      Bingo.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I see this as a great move for the students. This past fall I was still a student and if I was going to still be a student, I would have no problem moving behind the baskets (might still go sneak into the student section this next year). It's not like Frost is set up like the SF Arena where you're a long ways back from the court. This will create a better atmosphere for the the whole arena. Since the last redo of Frost I never understood why they put those seats behind the baskets instead of bleachers, the seating starts 5 feet up and doesn't look good. With bleachers they will be able to start this lower and have a high incline (hopefully).

I cannot wait to see this done!

Comment

Originally posted by jackbusiness09 View Post
          I see this as a great move for the students. This past fall I was still a student and if I was going to still be a student, I would have no problem moving behind the baskets (might still go sneak into the student section this next year). It's not like Frost is set up like the SF Arena where you're a long ways back from the court. This will create a better atmosphere for the the whole arena. Since the last redo of Frost I never understood why they put those seats behind the baskets instead of bleachers, the seating starts 5 feet up and doesn't look good. With bleachers they will be able to start this lower and have a high incline (hopefully).

I cannot wait to see this done!
          This post makes way too much sense...you sure you were a student last fall
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

The entire upper section could be redone with a full bowl seating in the corners and all chair back seating. There are are options but moving students seeems to be the path of less resistance. Do you as a potential season ticket purchaser think you desrve better seats then the student who pay activitiy fees for those seats? Do you think season ticket holders who dont stand or cheer as much as the students provides a better atmosphere then student along the side of the court? I would love to get full season tickets for basketball, but not at the expsense of forcing the students to move. I guess I am in the minority on this one. If you can answer yes to those, then I guess you think its a great idea. I on the other hand think students do their fair share to deserve those seats.

Like i said maybe when I am rich, I will donate millions to have an upperbowl with chair back seating and pay to have bleachers put in court side for students to add to the atmosphere.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

In regard to the seating on the south side upper level. If I'm recalling correctly, back in 2003 when we were looking at revamped seating options, one of the hang ups with re-doing those upper level bleachers was ADA requirements that would be imposed. Specifically, the seats would be pushed back from the railing and raised to such an extent that too many seats would be lost to make it a feasible solution. With the age of the building it was built pre-ADA requirements. So, any modifications to seating come with meeting ADA requirements. I don't know it that still plays into decision making, but wouldn't doubt if it was.
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

The entire upper section could be redone with a full bowl seating in the corners and all chair back seating. There are are options but moving students seeems to be the path of less resistance.
                The upper level will eventually be redone in a full bowl, and from what I've heard it will be permanent seating. If the upper was converted to chairbacks now, they would have to be redone once the upper bowl project was underway. To put it bluntly, the upper level would need to be redone twice, at a substantially higher cost. IMO, it is much more realistic to move the students than to expect people to pay a premium for the privilege of sitting behind a standing student section.

Do you as a potential season ticket purchaser think you desrve better seats then the student who pay activitiy fees for those seats?
                Yes. Maybe this makes me a prick. Season ticket holders get many perks students don't get. In part, that's because giving from season ticket holders isn't limited to the price of their ticket - they might buy tickets for other events, buy something at the Stan Marshall auction, make a donation, etc. Does paying a fee allow students to enter the Dykhouse during football games? Do they get priority parking? Why not, and why aren't you outraged about that?

A student isn't likely to make any sort of donation beyond their activity fee until they graduate from college, and even then it will likely take 5-10 years for them to get comfortable enough to buy tickets and make donations. Just a five year relationship with a season ticket holder could yield thousands of dollars for SDSU before a similar student seat even yields a season ticket.

Students pay to get into the games, they don't pay for premium seating (although a pretty solid case could be made for end bleachers qualifying as premium seating).

Do you think season ticket holders who dont stand or cheer as much as the students provides a better atmosphere then student along the side of the court?
                I've seen my fair share student sections that were just as bad as season ticket holders. Sure, the student section has been great at times, but its not like our student section is on par with Duke or Utah State.

I would love to get full season tickets for basketball, but not at the expsense of forcing the students to move.
                You can get season tickets for basketball right now under the current configuration. Unfortunately, you will likely pay an extreme premium or be placed at the upper Northeast or Northwest corners.

I guess I am in the minority on this one. If you can answer yes to those, then I guess you think its a great idea. I on the other hand think students do their fair share to deserve those seats.

Like i said maybe when I am rich, I will donate millions to have an upperbowl with chair back seating and pay to have bleachers put in court side for students to add to the atmosphere.
                I'm not sure I think its a great idea, and I understand why students could be upset.

However, I do think it is a sound decision based on facts, figures, and what's best for the athletic department. It also happens to be a decision that makes it more likely for me to buy season tickets for basketball.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

student isn't likely to make any sort of donation beyond their activity fee until they graduate from college, and even then it will likely take 5-10 years for them to get comfortable enough to buy tickets and make donations. Just a five year relationship with a season ticket holder could yield thousands of dollars for SDSU before a similar student seat even yields a season ticket.

Students pay to get into the games, they don't pay for premium seating (although a pretty solid case could be made for end bleachers qualifying as premium seating).............

So if the behind the basket seats are so great, why were those sections always the most empty? Because they suck, most fans regardless of student or alumni would not make those their first choice.

What if the teams start to struggle again heaven forbid? a few loosing seasons and say good buy to season ticket renewels. so have a side mostly empty seats just so alumni can feel good about themselves when their is a good year for basketball.

Students will become future donors and season ticket holders. If you want students to give money once they graduate, they should have some perks and court side seating for basketball and a endzone section for football isnt asking to much. Plus students buy conssessions and clothes at the bookstore, and food at the union with a lot of that money going to the atheltic programs.

so making a few thousand dollars now is worth it to spite the future relations of students who might pay more down the road then the thousands that are made now.

Obviously nobody else on here cares about the students or their experience. Sitting behind a basketball support, really, premium seating? IF there are season tickets available and poeple have gotten them because they want better seats? So as a true fan we can only support season tickets if we have great seats, seat tickets in the corner are for suckers? I am done with the topic. I think its a bad idea and students get shafted again.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It's a good idea! It should have been done years ago. IMO. I hope athletic revisits having ground level access to the lower level. The should help the congestion problem upstairs for concessions and restrooms.

It only effects students for three seasons, The incoming freshman will not know the difference. I hope all fans (students, alumni, boosters) embrace the idea. Let's make frost the most intimidating arena in the midwest.

I believe the upper level bowl is a reality once the indoor practice facility gets built. But we need the space (track) for offseason workouts. This decision increases revenue which gets SDSU closer to its financial goals. There are alot of needs for athletics to get (stay) competitive in all sports. Every dollar helps.
                    We...ARE...STATE!
                    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

A few things to add to this discussion:

1. I've been fortunate enough to sit in a number different spots in Frost Arena to watch a basketball game (upper corner reserved, upper reserved, lower reserved, courtside, student section, and behind the basket in reserved seats). I can honestly say that my favorite spot to sit of all of them, is right next to the visitor bench on the end line behind the basket. If I would buy season tickets (prior to this change), I would have asked for those seats. The view from there is great and you are right by the opposing bench, so close to the action. Whatever student ends up with those seats, or any for that matter on the end line that aren't directly behind the basket itself, will have a good seating experience.

2. I'll be the first to admit that the student's pay their fair share for their seats, but don't forget that the approximately $775 dollars that the typical student pays in the GA Fee covers much more than just a ticket to basketball games. In fact, by the time that funding is split between all athletics, the wellness center, theater/music events, UPC programming, funding the student health center, and don't forget the over 200 other clubs and organizations on campus, a small portion of it is really for athletic events. Much less most likely than what the cost of a lower level, side court, season ticket costs. Let's not act like students are paying the same amount or more as the donors and season ticket holders that are paying by seat + donation for those same seats on the opposite side of the court.

3. With all that said, I probably wouldn't be happy if I was a student just because it is change. However, behind the basket seating for students seems to be the norm at almost all college basketball arenas these days. It's not like SDSU is doing something different that are other schools aren't.

4. If one thing positive comes from this, I hope the Athletic Department actually starts to enforce who sits in the "student section". If I was still a student, there wouldn't be anything I would dislike more at a basketball game than coming to the game and sitting in the student section with my friends expecting to get a bit rowdy (possibly fueled up) only to sit down and have a handful of 50 year-olds or a young couple and their elementary school children sitting behind or in front of me. How can we expect our student section to be loud and crazy when this is the norm - especially on the visitor end of that section the past few years. I'd rather see those seats empty than have non-students sitting there.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Will someone tell me how it is possible for there to be more seating for the students now that they are moving to the end? The band takes up 3/4 of one end and I'm assuming the whole upper bowl will still be ga. You also can't tell me that you can count the seats directly behind the basket as actual seats. There is a reason the middle sections on the end are never sat in. The students are getting absolutely ripped off. I understand the money aspect of the new arrangement, but this is not going to be a good change for the arena atmosphere in my opinion.

Comment

When I was SA president we fought against this. I guess the recent student administration didn't have the athletic experience as a priority or Sell just forced it upon them. As a former front row student I am disappointed. I'm sure that the seats will sell but I don't know if the experience will be the same. It's sad that every decision is now geared to how much money they can make, but I'm sure it's the reality of D1.
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I think it's way too early to be forming a strong opinion on the remodeling of Frost, for until you have experienced a game with the new setup, you can't really know for sure how you feel.

I'm not too far removed from college that I don't empathize with the students, but I will say I've sat behind the basket at arenas and thought they were really good seats. If the remodeling is done right, I think the students won't have a problem with it once they attend a few games and get use to it.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              I think it's way too early to be forming a strong opinion on the remodeling of Frost, for until you have experienced a game with the new setup, you can't really know for sure how you feel.
                              Bull****. I know how I feel. The seats behind the basket are worse. It's just not as good of spot to watch basketball. Therefore, it does not make me happy.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                Bull****. I know how I feel. The seats behind the basket are worse. It's just not as good of spot to watch basketball. Therefore, it does not make me happy.
                                Seem like this is where the Coyote Crazies now sit or did sit the last time I was in the Dome about 2002. This IS ONE AND ONLY time USD was more futuristic in their thinking than SDSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X