X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frost gets upgrade

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

Re: Frost gets upgrade

As usual, SDSU is showing growing pains in the area of Basketball facilities. Its hard to believe the back chairs are falling apart. Seems like they just put in in the early 1990's, but too many legs anchored on the row in front of the spectator will do that. I do like the move the students idea.

Comment

More season ticket holder seats are needed and this is an immediate solution. I like it.

Excerpt from the article:

South Dakota State athletic director Justin Sell said that the entire lower bowl will be revamped. There will be three primary changes: the chair-back seats on the north side will be replaced with newer models; the chair-back seats behind both baskets will be converted into bleachers and designated for student seating; and the bleachers on the south side will be replaced with chair-back seats to create room for more season-ticket holders.

The updates will cost $250,000 to $300,000. Sell said some of that money came from donors and the rest will come from new ticket revenue. That is, moving the students frees up about 400 season-ticket seats in the 39-year-old venue even though the building capacity will increase by only 100. SDSU had been almost full in terms of season-ticket space, and Sell expects the numbers to jump this coming season in light of the men and women reaching the NCAA Division I tournament.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think the plan is a good one. The updates will refresh a great facility with a great tradition.

Comment

I'd like to see the lower bowl chair-back seats curve into the corners to create an actual bowl (maybe in all but the main entrance to the court - NW corner i think). Anybody know if that is part of the plan?
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

With the movement of the students to the ends does that mean they will be able to be closer to the floor than the current chairbacks that are on the end? If we want them to be a part of the action they better be. Interested in knowing how it may affect the noise level as well by putting them in two locations.

Comment

If I was a student I would hate it. First when they put the current bleachers in. They movied the media row in front of the students which moved the student up and back from the court. Even though student attendance has struggled before it was tough to stand and cheer at games when the upper section would constantly yell for the kids to sit down. Not really a great atmosphere for growing student support. Now that the programs are on the top of the confrence students will be coming more and more. Hopefully with the end blechers they want to put in will be lower to the court.

I thought the current bleachers they put in were a horrible idea. Looked nice but not great for fans and students experience. Would love to see rounded corners but my guess is that makes them more expensive too but could probably use the seating. Is there going to be anything done to improve consessions?
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                With the movement of the students to the ends does that mean they will be able to be closer to the floor than the current chairbacks that are on the end? If we want them to be a part of the action they better be. Interested in knowing how it may affect the noise level as well by putting them in two locations.
                Is this an expansion of the student section or is it being moved from its current spot to a new one? Can anyone help me out?

Edit: Just finished the article. Hate it. I can't believe they are moving the students to behind the baskets. Gotta love that this is happening after one of the BEST seasons in terms of student support and student atmosphere.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  Is this an expansion of the student section or is it being moved from its current spot to a new one? Can anyone help me out?

Edit: Just finished the article. Hate it. I can't believe they are moving the students to behind the baskets. Gotta love that this is happening after one of the BEST seasons in terms of student support and student atmosphere.
                  i totally agree. Why not put chair back seats in the upper level behind the students and raise those up to give a better sight line. Maybe after I will the lottery I can gift SDSU millions to improve frost in a positive way. Students should have court side seats as close to the floor as possible. I cant think of any other programs that are moving their students further from the court. Most schools are trying to improve the student experience and get students as close as possible to make it a truly hard place to play.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Students will have more seats than they did last year. SDSU will generate more income by selling additional season tickets. The atmosphere at Frost will continue to be dictated by the success of the program and the familiarity with the opposition. Its an easy decision for the Ath. Dept. Keep the boosters and season ticket holders happy at the expense of a minority of the students.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I generally like this.

Hopefully the students still show up. If they do, Frost probably just got a little more hostile. The student sections can feed off each other, have the cheerleaders right in front of them, and I assume the band location won't change. It will be tough to get the bleachers on the ends any closer than the current chairbacks, as access would have to be from the top level - not from floor level.

This will result in A LOT more season ticket revenue.

The only potential losers are the students, but if they choose to, it will be as fun as ever.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

As someone said at another time in another thread the students are students now but we hope they become boosters/season ticket holders in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Students will have more seats than they did last year. SDSU will generate more income by selling additional season tickets. The atmosphere at Frost will continue to be dictated by the success of the program and the familiarity with the opposition. Its an easy decision for the Ath. Dept. Keep the boosters and season ticket holders happy at the expense of a minority of the students.
                          According to the article, they will have about the same number as last season.

"Plus, Sell hopes that putting the students near the baskets and next to the pep band makes them more a part of the game and creates a more raucous atmosphere. They’ll still have the same number of seats in the building – about 1,200."

Probably worth mentioning that this should increase overall tickets sold, since there will be a lot more GA tickets sold to the upper south side since those bleachers won't have standing students obstructing their view (I refuse to sit in that section). I expect end bleachers to be pulled out for many more games next year. This is going to be a huge revenue generating change, assuming the team can continue to put up 20+ win seasons and win at home in a similar fashion to last year.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                            As someone said at another time in another thread the students are students now but we hope they become boosters/season ticket holders in the future.
                            Most major programs put their students on the ends. I can't think of a major we've played at that has them on the side (Nebraska, Minnesota, Kentucky for sure are on the end). Washington maybe? They aren't as good as the side court seats, but they are still better seats than probably 40% of the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Lets not forget the students pay a huge amount in fees a year to be able to attend these games. If you want to have them as alumni and boosters in the future, wouldn't it be good to have their experince be as best as possible? including quality seating. Students are not second rate, and if it wasnt for the students and the college they go too, we wouldnt have college sports to enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X