Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stretch Run

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    I have a question to pose to the forum. If someone would happen to upset Oakland in the conference tournament, would their years with Benson and company be considered wasted? Obviously they have been the best team in the Summit for, at least, the last 4 years but only have the one tourny championship? This is not meant as smack, since I hope one day the Jacks can be just as successful.

Or is the one appearance just a great example of how special a birth in the big dance is?

Tough call. I say you throw out Benson's freshman year and start from there. He was pretty non-impactful that year.

The team two years ago was really, really good with Jones and Kangas, but Benson was a little raw yet at the offensive end. And NDSU was chalked full of seniors that had played together for 4 years. They were a better team than Oakland.

Last year Oakland was the best team and won it. Success. Nice way for Jones to go out. That kid was a leader.

If they don't win it this year, I would say this year's a large failure. They are way too good for it not to be. I think they should get a 12 seed. NDSU was a 13 the year they went and Oakland has a better resume and probably better team than that NDSU team.

Benson has has such a different cast in his years. Jones was a year older, Kangas was two. Those two were likely some of the best players Oakland's had in their history. But Benson was a soph. when they were all together. This year Wright is really good. Hudson is a really good compliment to Benson in the post. Hamilton is really streaky and if Cushingberry was healthy, wow.

So to answer your question after all this rambling, I would say over his main three years it would be a slight failure. Just due to the gaudy record and resume the team this year has put up in his senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
      Tough call. I say you throw out Benson's freshman year and start from there. He was pretty non-impactful that year.

The team two years ago was really, really good with Jones and Kangas, but Benson was a little raw yet at the offensive end. And NDSU was chalked full of seniors that had played together for 4 years. They were a better team than Oakland.

Last year Oakland was the best team and won it. Success. Nice way for Jones to go out. That kid was a leader.

If they don't win it this year, I would say this year's a large failure. They are way too good for it not to be. I think they should get a 12 seed. NDSU was a 13 the year they went and Oakland has a better resume and probably better team than that NDSU team.

Benson has has such a different cast in his years. Jones was a year older, Kangas was two. Those two were likely some of the best players Oakland's had in their history. But Benson was a soph. when they were all together. This year Wright is really good. Hudson is a really good compliment to Benson in the post. Hamilton is really streaky and if Cushingberry was healthy, wow.

So to answer your question after all this rambling, I would say over his main three years it would be a slight failure. Just due to the gaudy record and resume the team this year has put up in his senior year.
      Plus last year didn't one of their better players get hurt during the game? I thought they were in it until he went out. Don't remember his name though but he was a senior.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        Plus last year didn't one of their better players get hurt during the game? I thought they were in it until he went out. Don't remember his name though but he was a senior.
        Yeah Nelson got hurt, guy was bleeding all over the court and after that they never recovered.

Comment

On paper you have the hardest schedule left. 3 Road games against two of the top teams and your rival whom you have not beaten in quite some time. NDSU hqas a home game, UMKC has 2 home games and plays at Western Ill.

Comment

Oakland MBB has not been anymore successful than SDSU WBB. Dominating and winning in the Summit League means that that team was the best of 10 teams. Getting TO NCAA tourney is about being the best/hottest for THREE GAMES. Does the #1 seed get the 3 wins? Not every time, in fact without researching, I'd guess it's only half the time.

I suspect that if Oakland does not win the tourney, that they will be in the NIT. The NIT is NOT like the WNIT with each league highest non NCAA getting an invite.

When your team is part of an auto-bid to the tourney winner ONLY, the only way to up the odds is to be 30-2, and have some wins vs top 40 RPI teams. Again the Jacks women of 2008-2009 had that kind of record. Oakland does not. Neither does ORU on the women's side. Therefore, neither team is likely to be selected if they don't win the tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              Should be,
              SESSION ONE:Sat Mar 5
              Womens no 1 seed vs no 8 seed .....noon?
              Womens no 2 seed vs no.7 seed.......2:30?

SESSION TWO: Sat Mar 5
              Mens # 1 seed vs #8 seed.....6pm?
              Mens #2 seed vs # 7 seed.....8:30pm?

SESSION THREE:Sun Mar 6
              Womens # 4 seed vs # 5......noon?
              Womens # 3 seed vs # 6.....2:30?

SESSION FOUR:Sun Mar 6
              Mens #4 seed vs # 5......6PM?
              Mens # 3 vs #6 ............8:30PM?

MARCH 7
              SESSION FIVE:Womens semi-finals,noon and 2:30
              SESSION SIX: Mens semi-finals, 6 and 8:30PM

MARCH 8
              SESSION SEVEN: Womens championship ,3 pm
              SESSION EIGHT: Mens championship ,7 PM

This is copied from newspaper cut-out i kept from 2009 tournament, just changed the dates.
              JD, I copied the schedule that I posted from the Summit League's Championship tab for this year's tournament. I haven't compared the two but would say the Summit League's schedule is the correct one if there are differences. Not a big deal as we will soon see plenty of ink on this year's tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                Oakland MBB has not been anymore successful than SDSU WBB. Dominating and winning in the Summit League means that that team was the best of 10 teams. Getting TO NCAA tourney is about being the best/hottest for THREE GAMES. Does the #1 seed get the 3 wins? Not every time, in fact without researching, I'd guess it's only half the time.

I suspect that if Oakland does not win the tourney, that they will be in the NIT. The NIT is NOT like the WNIT with each league highest non NCAA getting an invite.

When your team is part of an auto-bid to the tourney winner ONLY, the only way to up the odds is to be 30-2, and have some wins vs top 40 RPI teams. Again the Jacks women of 2008-2009 had that kind of record. Oakland does not. Neither does ORU on the women's side. Therefore, neither team is likely to be selected if they don't win the tourney.
                I'm pretty sure that after the NIT expanded, there was a rule put in allowing all regular season conference champs into the NIT, if they didn't win their conference tourney or qualify for the NCAAs otherwise.

So if Oakland wins the regular season championship, they are guaranteed an NIT bid.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnJack View Post
                  I'm pretty sure that after the NIT expanded, there was a rule put in allowing all regular season conference champs into the NIT, if they didn't win their conference tourney or qualify for the NCAAs otherwise.

So if Oakland wins the regular season championship, they are guaranteed an NIT bid.
                  Think that is for the WNIT only.

Comment

From collegesportsfans.com

National Invitation Tournament (NIT) - 2010 NIT
                    The longest running postseason tournament in college basketball, the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) selects 32 teams after the NCAA Tournament is selected each year. These 32 teams usually consist of big-name schools in an effort to get TV ratings as fairness and selecting teams that deserve to continue their seasons rarely comes into play with the NIT selection committee. The NIT was run by an independent organization which favored the local New York schools thanks to those in charge, but the 2007 NIT Tournament was the first year that the NIT was run by the NCAA. The new management by the NCAA did not seem to help out mid-majors in 2007 as the Akron Zips found out. Akron finished their season with more wins than any school in NCAA Division I basketball history to not receive a postseason tournament invitation.

http://www.collegesports-fans.com/nc...ournament.html

So, IIRC the NIT does NOT pick the "best" of each conference for their tourney as essentially an auto-bid. They pick the 32 teams that can make the most $$$. So you could be a great program, with a really good record, but built against a low RPI schedule, and not get invited.

The WNIT, with the expansion to 64 teams in 2008, has the auto-bid concept for the best of each conference not in the NCAA's, but must be at least .500 (16-16 over 32 games for example). Now, the auto-bid team from say the PAC-10, can decline, and if no other team is better than .500, then that league may not have a representative. When USC lost at SDSU, that season USC was the selected PAC-10 WNIT invitee, and chose to not play.

Comment

WNIT only, does not apply to the NIT.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I would think that with the OOC schedule and performance that Oakland had this season, if they didn't win the conference tourney for some reason that they would get an NIT bid. After all, I think that the win @Tenn and the scare they gave the then #7 Spartans would go a long way on the resume to a second tier tournament.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

According to page 20 of the 2011 NIT Media Guide:
                          http://epublish.multiad.com/NIT_2011_guide/

"The regular-season champion of any NCAA Division I conference (as determined by the conference's tie-break protocol) not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship will secure an automatic qualification to the National Invitation Tournament.

The committee shall select the best available teams to fill the NIT field."

Comment

According to page 20 of the 2011 NIT Media Guide:
                            http://epublish.multiad.com/NIT_2011_guide/

"The regular-season champion of any NCAA Division I conference (as determined by the conference's tie-break protocol) not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship will secure an automatic qualification to the National Invitation Tournament.

The committee shall select the best available teams to fill the NIT field."
                            I did not know that or if I did I had forgotten. It really hasn't been relevant for our men's team lately and the NIT and WNIT have not relationship so I just assumed the rule didn't apply to both.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Just something to note: Two of our biggest losses came against NDSU and UMKC at home when Sargent shot 4-17 and 3-14.

Comment

Originally posted by StefaniGermanotta View Post
                                Just something to note: Two of our biggest losses came against NDSU and UMKC at home when Sargent shot 4-17 and 3-14.

He's a senior...this isn't the NBA...senior's graduate, as a program(FB, BB, etc.) you always lose good seniors, and Clint is one of the best SDSU has ever had, no doubt.
                                Doesn't mean we should just pack up our bags for the upcoming years. Things are looking up...Dale and Clint have a ton to do with this, just as Kai and Garrett had a lot to do with the up-ward rise of this years team.

Go Jacks!!
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X