Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 Recruiting List

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
    Wow. Vital? I don't agree. He seems taltented, but not vital. I'm not sure a recruiting class is dependent on one individual. Let's not over analyze things. If he went to USD or somewhere else, it wouldn't have been tragic. I'm glad to have him, but your statement seems overstated.
    Unless SD kids have a chance to play at a FBS school, to get the top SD players to play at SDSU is vital. You have to keep a connection with the fans in South Dakota. It matters to the fans in the stands. We know the roster is always going to be comprised of players from all over the country, but you always have to have kids from SD that are going to play and contribute. That is how Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, NDSU, Montana, all do it, and so do we. His talent isn't vital, the fact that he is talented enough and from SD makes it vital.

Final thought on why it is vital. There was an article earlier this week in the Argus Leader by Stu Whitney about Mohr making a decision between USD and SDSU. He makes the right decision to play at SDSU, and it is a small news on the the Argus site. If he chose USD over SDSU Stu would have written a monster piece on why he chose USD, and it would have been plastered all over the Argus Leaders website.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
      Unless SD kids have a chance to play at a FBS school, to get the top SD players to play at SDSU is vital. You have to keep a connection with the fans in South Dakota. It matters to the fans in the stands. We know the roster is always going to be comprised of players from all over the country, but you always have to have kids from SD that are going to play and contribute. That is how Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, NDSU, Montana, all do it, and so do we. His talent isn't vital, the fact that he is talented enough and from SD makes it vital.

Final thought on why it is vital. There was an article earlier this week in the Argus Leader by Stu Whitney about Mohr making a decision between USD and SDSU. He makes the right decision to play at SDSU, and it is a small news on the the Argus site. If he chose USD over SDSU Stu would have written a monster piece on why he chose USD, and it would have been plastered all over the Argus Leaders website.
      100% agree. This is what I would have liked to say but could not have conveyed it as well as you did.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I understand your statement, but we have a different interpretation on the definition of vital. Carry on.
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Looks like we offered this kid
          http://www.wissports.net/sports/foot...113&id=1168926

Comment

Here's the original article
            http://www.wissports.net/sports/foot...113&id=1167946

Comment

But if you ignored Stu Whitney, you wouldn't have to think such things. Stu targets you. Don't be his target -- it's your choice, not his.

Great recruit -- the potential's there for a great career and I hope he develops like another SF Washington grad: pre-season All America pick Ryan McKnight.

Comment

I generally think all of the blustering some make about Stu is very overblown. What he wrote after the Montana game, for instance, was completely accurate and appropriate. The last quarter-plus was a complete debacle. But anyhow...

With only a handful of Division I football players in South Dakota each year, it is vital -- that is the correct word -- that the bulk come to SDSU. If somebody has a scholarship offer to Iowa or Nebraska or some other big school, we just say congratulations. But we need most of the others. Are they going to be the stars of the team? Maybe, maybe not. That's not the point. It's not about making or breaking the talent level of the team. What South Dakota kids make or break is the public's perception as well as that of other prospects and South Dakota high school players and teams in general. And if you don't think that's important, you're fooling yourself.
                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                  I generally think all of the blustering some make about Stu is very overblown. What he wrote after the Montana game, for instance, was completely accurate and appropriate. The last quarter-plus was a complete debacle. But anyhow...

With only a handful of Division I football players in South Dakota each year, it is vital -- that is the correct word -- that the bulk come to SDSU. If somebody has a scholarship offer to Iowa or Nebraska or some other big school, we just say congratulations. But we need most of the others. Are they going to be the stars of the team? Maybe, maybe not. That's not the point. It's not about making or breaking the talent level of the team. What South Dakota kids make or break is the public's perception as well as that of other prospects and South Dakota high school players and teams in general. And if you don't think that's important, you're fooling yourself.
                  Nobody said it wasn't an important signing so nobody is fooling themselves on this issue. However, if you think the SDSU football program wouldn't have survived if this young man chose USD than you might be fooling yourself.

I'm glad a young man who has had a lot of success has decided that the best place for him to have the greatest chance to continue to have success is at SDSU. If he would have decided USD was the best place I HAVE NO DOUBT that SDSU football would survive. So, to some people vital may not be the best adjective to describe the relative importance of this one person's decision.

Now, we are arguing semantics and that, in my opinion, is entertaining but rarely productive. Since I'm not feeling productive tonight.......
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    he would have decided USD was the best place I HAVE NO DOUBT that SDSU football would survive.
                    Thank God...
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

• Re: 2011 Recruiting List

New offer for SDSU

ATH - Dontae McCoy, 6'1" 185, IL Palos Heights - Shepard, http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...e-McCoy-103649

highlight tape:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZZ66IRb2s

Offers from Illinois St & E. Michigan

My guess would be he's being recruited as a WR

Comment

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/201...-for-mcgovern/

This could be interesting. The #1 football prospect in North Dakota, OL Connor McGovern, has narrowed his choices to UND, NDSU & SDSU.

He might be the only North Dakota prospect I've seen in the past 3-4 years that SDSU has pursued. It would be nice to see us steal a recruit from up north instead of the other way around for once.

Does anyone know if he has any connection to George McGovern?
                        http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Connor McGovern looks like a good prospect. It would be nice to see him in a Jackrabbit uniform. He apparently realizes that the Bison no longer rule the region and that Jacks are an up and comer. Hey, Brookings is warmer than Fargo, too.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by MinneapolisJack View Post
                            http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/201...-for-mcgovern/

This could be interesting. The #1 football prospect in North Dakota, OL Connor McGovern, has narrowed his choices to UND, NDSU & SDSU.

He might be the only North Dakota prospect I've seen in the past 3-4 years that SDSU has pursued. It would be nice to see us steal a recruit from up north instead of the other way around for once.

Does anyone know if he has any connection to George McGovern?
                            If you want to be entertained follow the thread just to read the comments. Delusional doesn't cover it for some Bison fans.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              If you want to be entertained follow the thread just to read the comments. Delusional doesn't cover it for some Bison fans.
                              Looks like McGovern will be going to Missouri per

twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER

Fargo Shanley offensive lineman Connor McGovern is going to Missouri, acceping its scholarship offer.

McGovern on Missouri: They made an offer to me today and I accepted it today. Now I can focus on Shanley and my team.
                              http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

TV blogged that Ben Muff's coach said Muff committed to us. He is a 2 star LB

http://twitter.com/terryvandrovec

more

http://rivals.yahoo.com/huskerlandpr...en-Muff-108508

Comment

Working...
                                X