Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 Recruiting List

Originally posted by SDSU16 View Post
    Jake Gentile, a 6'1", 190 lb, safety from Council Bluffs,IA, a cousin to Brock. Gentile helped the St Albert Falcons to the Class 1A state title last fall, earning finals MVP honors. He also was named the most valuable defensive back at the National Underclassmen Combine at Lincoln, NE, in May.

Sounds like a good one!
    Terry V has started the verbal list for 2011 and added it to his blog roll.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Here's some links he had posted:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recrui...51&season=2011

http://nationalunderclassmen.ning.co...ake-gentile-26
    http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Very good write-up by Terry V comparing the Hermanson and Gentile.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Sounds like a we added a great future Jack. He lists Iowa St, NDSU, USD, & UNI as other schools that were interested.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        I agree.

This is exactly the case of where in the state, parents need to start breeding the culture of SDSU and a lesser extent but still important USD too kids. If kids say yeah SDSU is good but I want to see what I can do elsewhere, shows we are not there. I agree with the best of the best we will have a hard time keeping. Montana is great at keeping its instate kids. They grow up wanting to play for Montana even if they could go elsewhere or BCS. I think SDSU women BBall are on that track. But we need it to start with our kids at a young age, show them the greatness of SDSU or USD even. I feel SDSU does great at getting most of the instate kids it wants, but the culture of SDSU as the best option needs to start to get them down the road. Especially with student numbers lowering and only so many select D-1 type athletes. It’s important for them to want to be at SDSU for a multitude of reasons.
        I think part of it is not a lot of parents taking their kids to Jacks games. Also I think more students need to be able to get into games, as they get older have kids etc, and remember what a great time they had at the games they will want to share that with their kids. So once again boils down to a new stadium with more seating for students. A new stadium will enhance that as well as more people will want that "big game" feel without traveling 4 to 5 hours to see it. (I know I'm preaching to the choir, so I'll stop now)
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Well coaching staff have certainty been busy this off-season. They have just extended another offer, this time to a JUCO DT.

DT - Jared Ebert, 6'4" 280, IA Iowa Western JUCO, http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...d-Ebert-113609

SDSU is his first offer but he has interest from Oregon, Ohio, Iowa, & Iowa St.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU16 View Post
            Jake Gentile, a 6'1", 190 lb, safety from Council Bluffs,IA, a cousin to Brock. Gentile helped the St Albert Falcons to the Class 1A state title last fall, earning finals MVP honors. He also was named the most valuable defensive back at the National Underclassmen Combine at Lincoln, NE, in May.

Sounds like a good one!
            Is he at all related to Joel Gentile that played safety and LB at USD? I'm assuming he is.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              Is he at all related to Joel Gentile that played safety and LB at USD? I'm assuming he is.
              Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Joel and Brock were brothers? If not brothers, I'm pretty sure they were related.

Comment

Originally posted by MinneapolisJack View Post
                Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Joel and Brock were brothers? If not brothers, I'm pretty sure they were related.
                They are twin brothers.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Joel was a great hitter, so hopefully his cousin turns into a good player as well.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                    I think part of it is not a lot of parents taking their kids to Jacks games. Also I think more students need to be able to get into games, as they get older have kids etc, and remember what a great time they had at the games they will want to share that with their kids. So once again boils down to a new stadium with more seating for students. A new stadium will enhance that as well as more people will want that "big game" feel without traveling 4 to 5 hours to see it. (I know I'm preaching to the choir, so I'll stop now)
                    The new stadium will be hard for students to not want to be there, and not just the big games. I hope they are able to make it a way where it is family friendly. It can be a challenge I am sure for parents to bring younger kids to the games, but I feel that is the best way to start that culture of SDSU. Indoctrinate them at a young age. Football I am not as worried about with students as much. Basketball on the other hand seems to be lacking a large student following. When I was in college from at the end of our D-2 days, my friends and I did everything we could to be at games. We did body paint for the big games and cheered the whole game and such. Now I see students showing up late, leaving early and not interested in the game as much. I feel the new bleachers that were put in where not conducive to heightening the student experience as much as they are to just look nice. Winning will help that, but the campus has how many thousands of students on it at one time. There is no reason that 1/10th of the student population shows up to games. At least 1000 students should not be too hard to get too. For football, when the new stadium is built, put the students and band behind the visitor’s bench and make it much louder for them but also for the main side to hear the band better.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                      Just heard on KSFY that Matt Hermanson is going to Montana... shoot
                      Best of luck to Matt. Looking forward to beating him and the Griz similar to the way we beat Mahoney and the Panthers last year.

Nice to hear about some verbals already.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        I hope they are able to make it a way where it is family friendly. It can be a challenge I am sure for parents to bring younger kids to the games, but I feel that is the best way to start that culture of SDSU. Indoctrinate them at a young age.
                        One thing that Coughlin-Alumni has going for it now in regards to families is the open field east of the bleachers. At games you will see a number of parents at the top row with one eye on the game, the other on children playing below. This is something SDSU can utilize as a draw. And, perhaps enhance simply by adding some supervision/security. Perhaps a tie in with one or more of the majors; Human Dev, HPER, Nursing, etc.

Image a young couple able to attend a game without hiring a babysitter for the 7 and 9 year old. That would be a bargain.
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                          One thing that Coughlin-Alumni has going for it now in regards to families is the open field east of the bleachers. At games you will see a number of parents at the top row with one eye on the game, the other on children playing below. This is something SDSU can utilize as a draw. And, perhaps enhance simply by adding some supervision/security. Perhaps a tie in with one or more of the majors; Human Dev, HPER, Nursing, etc.

Image a young couple able to attend a game without hiring a babysitter for the 7 and 9 year old. That would be a bargain.
                          Mine are now 4,6 and 8. They haven't missed many games at CAS. This year the 8 and 6 year old will be free to run the east field while the 4 year old is stuck with dad.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

But Dad, why can't I go too?
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                              But Dad, why can't I go too?
                              Exactly.

Sorry for the thread drift. Looking forward to hearing about more 2011 recruits for the Jackrabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                Mine are now 4,6 and 8. They haven't missed many games at CAS. This year the 8 and 6 year old will be free to run the east field while the 4 year old is stuck with dad.
                                funny how that 8-12 age is golden for kids...lol.. then 13, 14 15.. things start tightening up again... where are you going? with who? etc

Comment

Working...
                                X