Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruiting Class

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
    I won't lie, I'm dying for some recruiting news...some names...a few recruits. We're in the playoffs, so things should start to trickle in. I won't begrudge any guy (Terry V. at the Argus) his vacation, but I'm soooo restless. I'm anxious to see whether we snatch a verbal from NDSU.
    How can we snatch a verbal? They've all verballed to NDSU already!!!! Just plain weird. Did NDSU know they were going to suck this year so they applied extra pressure for kids to verbal early?
    The article on Sumner was nice. It just seems he is so dejected that no one came knocking from the FBS. So the question is does he accept a full ride to State or does he try to walk-on somewhere? Question 2: How many more QB's do we need? We need some WR's now!!!! It kills me to think about if this team had had JaRon this year. A win on Saturday changes the whole ball game(pun intended). Then unveil a new stadium plan! I know my requests are small and easily accomplished
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
      How can we snatch a verbal? They've all verballed to NDSU already!!!! Just plain weird. Did NDSU know they were going to suck this year so they applied extra pressure for kids to verbal early?
      The article on Sumner was nice. It just seems he is so dejected that no one came knocking from the FBS. So the question is does he accept a full ride to State or does he try to walk-on somewhere? Question 2: How many more QB's do we need? We need some WR's now!!!! It kills me to think about if this team had had JaRon this year. A win on Saturday changes the whole ball game(pun intended). Then unveil a new stadium plan! I know my requests are small and easily accomplished
      I don't know if Sumner is the prize recruit everybody makes him to be.... TOB and Whittier are good QB's, however most programs like to bring in a QB every class, and Sumner would be a good get, I just don't know if he is the make or break of the class..... We need a play making reciever.... right now from what I have heard it looks like Tiefentaller could be the starting 1 next year, Rollin the 2 and then its a toss up after that.... I think the O-line is the big thing, bringing in another running back could help 2... I think a safety/cover corner could be needed, we have good strong dbacks but are missing that shut down cover corner.....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        I don't know if Sumner is the prize recruit everybody makes him to be.... TOB and Whittier are good QB's, however most programs like to bring in a QB every class, and Sumner would be a good get, I just don't know if he is the make or break of the class..... We need a play making reciever.... right now from what I have heard it looks like Tiefentaller could be the starting 1 next year, Rollin the 2 and then its a toss up after that.... I think the O-line is the big thing, bringing in another running back could help 2... I think a safety/cover corner could be needed, we have good strong dbacks but are missing that shut down cover corner.....
        Sumner is the prize recruit of the state this year. What hurt him is that he had surgery last summer and was unable to throw at the camps he went. The big universites were not able to probably evaluate him. I think it would be huge for SDSU to get Sumner. I do agree with you that the Jacks need to bring in some receivers, especially one that is a game changer like Jaron Harris was.

Comment

I think Brandon Gant will be big next year. He didn't get a shot this year with Fox, Minett, & Montague but with Rollin, Gant & Tiefenthaller the receiving corps should be capable next year. (We also have upper classmen like Hylland, Mitchell, Iverson, Shonka & Schmidt)

Comment

Have you watched him play? If you haven't please don't comment. Also, why can't we get all those other needs and Sumner as well?
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I don't know what the scholarship situation is and I said generally every year you bring in a QB, every program does it, and if we are going to get one we just as well should get him... What I am saying is I'm not going to make or break the recruiting class based on QB, because from what I see a QB isn't the problem with the team....

also when it comes to recruitment you generally are recruiting for replacements for next years seniors and juniors since a majority of them will redshirt.

So I'd guess these would be the positions that we would target more or less

RB- Minnett and Duffy
              LB- Domino,
              DB- Jeske, Parnell, Kjerstad, Brodie
              FB/TE- Sheehan
              P- Priddy
              OL- McKnight
              TE- Cochart
              DE- Thompson
              Last edited by joeboo22; 11-28-2009, 11:39 PM.

Comment

So the state of South Dakota has 3 high school kickers ranked in the ESPN Top 50 Recruits for their respective position along with another coming in at #70. ESPN's SD Kickers List

#37 Ethan Sawyer (Brandon Valley)
                #49 Justin Syrovatka (S.F. Roosevelt)
                #50 Evan Nolte (Aberdeen Roncalli)
                #70 Kevin Robb (St. Thomas More)

So two questions come to mind:
                1) Is soccer in South Dakota a lot better than I think it is?
                2) Which one(s), if any, is SDSU recruiting?
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  So the state of South Dakota has 3 high school kickers ranked in the ESPN Top 50 Recruits for their respective position along with another coming in at #70. ESPN's SD Kickers List

SDSU is showing interest in Evan Nolte (who played on Aberdeen Central's runner-up football team).

http://www.aberdeennews.com/apps/pbc...ORTS/911130374

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

The soccer programs are good around south dakota and seem to be very popular. In just the last several years South Dakota has produced several good kickers like Taylor Mehlhaff(Wisconsin and then the NFL), Trevor Cook ( Miami, OH), Kyle Martens ( Rice) and Ryan Jastram ( New Mexico State and now NSDU). Christian Cox from Aberdeen Roncalli who was a Junior this past season is also a very good kicker.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                      I think Brandon Gant will be big next year. He didn't get a shot this year with Fox, Minett, & Montague but with Rollin, Gant & Tiefenthaller the receiving corps should be capable next year. (We also have upper classmen like Hylland, Mitchell, Iverson, Shonka & Schmidt)
                      Any more word on Gant/shonka transferring? Hear Tiefenthaler could be moved around and could also be tough on special teams

Comment

Copied from another board.

In its 25th year of honoring the nation’s best high school athletes, The Gatorade Company, in collaboration with ESPN RISE, announced Austin Sumner of Brandon Valley High School as its 2009-10 Gatorade South Dakota Football Player of the Year. Sumner is the third Gatorade South Dakota Football Player of the Year to be chosen from Brandon Valley High School.

The award, which recognizes not only outstanding athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on and off the field, distinguishes Sumner as South Dakota’s best high school football player. Now a finalist for the prestigious Gatorade National Football Player of the Year award, to be announced in mid-December, Sumner joins an elite alumni association of past state football award winners, including Mark Sanchez (2004-05, Mission Viejo HS, Calif.), Wes Welker (1999-00, Heritage Hall HS, Okla.), Terrell Suggs (1999-00, Hamilton HS, Ariz.), Anquan Boldin (1998-99, Pahokee HS, Fla.) and Jerome Bettis (1989-90, Mackenzie HS, Mich).

The 6-foot-5, 220-pound senior quarterback led the Lynx (10-2) to the Class AA semifinals this past season, completing 259-of-411 passes for 3,098 yards and a state-record 38 touchdowns. A two-time member of the all-state team and the Argus Leader Elite 45 squad, Sumner holds eight state passing records and 14 school records.

Sumner has maintained a B average in the classroom as an upperclassman. A member of his local Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter, Sumner is active in student government and has volunteered on behalf of the Children’s Miracle Network and as an area elementary school mentor.

Sumner remains undecided upon a collegiate destination.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                          Copied from another board.

In its 25th year of honoring the nation’s best high school athletes, The Gatorade Company, in collaboration with ESPN RISE, announced Austin Sumner of Brandon Valley High School as its 2009-10 Gatorade South Dakota Football Player of the Year. Sumner is the third Gatorade South Dakota Football Player of the Year to be chosen from Brandon Valley High School.

The award, which recognizes not only outstanding athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on and off the field, distinguishes Sumner as South Dakota’s best high school football player. Now a finalist for the prestigious Gatorade National Football Player of the Year award, to be announced in mid-December, Sumner joins an elite alumni association of past state football award winners, including Mark Sanchez (2004-05, Mission Viejo HS, Calif.), Wes Welker (1999-00, Heritage Hall HS, Okla.), Terrell Suggs (1999-00, Hamilton HS, Ariz.), Anquan Boldin (1998-99, Pahokee HS, Fla.) and Jerome Bettis (1989-90, Mackenzie HS, Mich).

The 6-foot-5, 220-pound senior quarterback led the Lynx (10-2) to the Class AA semifinals this past season, completing 259-of-411 passes for 3,098 yards and a state-record 38 touchdowns. A two-time member of the all-state team and the Argus Leader Elite 45 squad, Sumner holds eight state passing records and 14 school records.

Sumner has maintained a B average in the classroom as an upperclassman. A member of his local Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter, Sumner is active in student government and has volunteered on behalf of the Children’s Miracle Network and as an area elementary school mentor.

Sumner remains undecided upon a collegiate destination.
                          Not any more. TV reports that Sumner has verbally committed to SDSU!
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Nolte is 100% legit, I played against him for 4 years and he could consistently get it into the endzone since he was a sophomore.

Comment

Don't forget things change in the kicking game once you get to college. The kickoff tee is an inch lower and you kick off from 10 yards farther. Extra points and field goals are kicked off the ground not a tee so there is quite an adjustment. Nolte has a fairly strong leg but I question his accuracy on field goals.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                                Don't forget things change in the kicking game once you get to college. The kickoff tee is an inch lower and you kick off from 10 yards farther. Extra points and field goals are kicked off the ground not a tee so there is quite an adjustment. Nolte has a fairly strong leg but I question his accuracy on field goals.
                                He did rank in the top 10 in a major kicking camp for field goals. I think Nolte or Syrovatka are the best in the state this year. Are are a few other good kickers, but I think SDSU should get one of those 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X