Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU on Nebraska's schedule 2010

Originally posted by OKC_Poke View Post
    Wyoming didn't pay Texas a single penny to come to Laramie! Arkansas paid for the whole thing!
    That's a crazy story! Thanks for sharing. I didn't know those kind of things went on.

Comment

Originally posted by OKC_Poke View Post
      Wyoming didn't pay Texas a single penny to come to Laramie! Arkansas paid for the whole thing!
      Just goes to show the power of the dollar in college sports. Wow. Wyoming made out like a champ on this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        SDSU vs. Nebraska on my birthday? Almost have to go.

I would love to see the Jacks upset UNL just to make Huskers fans around here shut up for at least a week.
        They would more than shut up. Heard they were so in shock after the ISU game they were still in the stands well after the game. Some possibly in tears. That may be their "game not to be mentioned"

Comment

Chatter on the Jacks/Huskers game is back. Sean Callahan, editor of Huskers Illustrated (Nebraska's Rivals web page), was on the local sports radio show today and they were talking about next year's Husker schedule. Including the need to replace the Rabbits.

According to Callahan, the Huskers have been trying to buy out the SDSU game next year, but the buyout price is too high. The radio show hosts and Callahan know how important this game is to the Jacks and for our recruiting. They also acknowledged that it will be difficult for the Husker to replace our game with another quality opponent. The big complaint they have is that their nonconference schedule is weak and they would love to improve it to improve their chances for a BCS game next year. At worst they are projecting an 10 - 2 record despite a weak offense and the loss of Suh to the NFL. They believe they have a legitimate chance at being the Big 12 conference champion too.

I will try to get a link to the podcast broadcast of the interview as soon as it is posted. They post their interviews a few days after they are broadcast. Like I said, I hate bringing up this news as it has been kicked around so much.

Comment

As of a few weeks ago, Rob Peterson had never heard anything about a buy-out from any official source from the University of Nebraska. He didn't understand why this rumor has such long legs.

I am not inclined to ask him again.

Go State!

Comment

I see it thus:

The Huskers haven't been 'trying' to buy-out the SDSU game. Why?

Because the terms of the buyout are clearly set forth in the contract. UNL knows better than to offer SDSU less than the buyout's terms, so they certainly haven't been in contact with SDSU.

If any 'trying' has been going on, it's been some faction of UNL boosters/staff trying to convince Osborne that buying out the game is a good investment in the program.

Of course, IMO, it absolutely, manifestly, is not a good investment. Unless the Jacks win, this game will be little noted nor long remembered by anyone, therefore, it's not worth paying close to a million dollars to switch out for some FBS school that will either be handled as easily, or will dismantle Nebraska handily.

Comment

A buy out of close to a million dollars? I have no idea on what it might be, if it is that much, I guess I am hoping they buy it out also.

Edit: Well, maybe hoping. that was a quick response, but if it is that much it won't tick me off.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                  A buy out of close to a million dollars? I have no idea on what it might be, if it is that much, I guess I am hoping they buy it out also.

Edit: Well, maybe hoping. that was a quick response, but if it is that much it won't tick me off.
                  If the buyout was actually a million dollars and they actually wanted to buyt it out, I could care less if we play them! That's a lot of cash. Buys a lot of nice stuff for the athletic department! Granted it is a great game for recruiting and exposure purposes.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    I see it thus:

The Huskers haven't been 'trying' to buy-out the SDSU game. Why?

Because the terms of the buyout are clearly set forth in the contract. UNL knows better than to offer SDSU less than the buyout's terms, so they certainly haven't been in contact with SDSU.

If any 'trying' has been going on, it's been some faction of UNL boosters/staff trying to convince Osborne that buying out the game is a good investment in the program.

Of course, IMO, it absolutely, manifestly, is not a good investment. Unless the Jacks win, this game will be little noted nor long remembered by anyone, therefore, it's not worth paying close to a million dollars to switch out for some FBS school that will either be handled as easily, or will dismantle Nebraska handily.
                    How do we know the buy out is a million dollars OR NEAR A MILLION? I can see it being maybe 600k at tops and that might be high. The guarentees seem to have run in the 250 to 400k range.

Comment

I think it would be close to a million when you factor in how much they would need to pay to pick up a contract with another FBS team. I would guess the SDSU buyout would be in the $250k - $300k range.
                      “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        How do we know the buy out is a million dollars OR NEAR A MILLION? I can see it being maybe 600k at tops and that might be high. The guarentees seem to have run in the 250 to 400k range.
                        What rjacks21 said.

SDSU would get $350k--what they're rumored to receive for going there in the first place.

A back-marker FBS program (MAC/Sunbelt/bargain basement WAC/MWC) would cost over $400k--guarantees are higher for FBS programs.

So you're looking at $800k to bring in a lousy FBS program, give or take. Bringing in a better FBS program will cost you even more. It would cost close to a million to switch opponents. Not just to buy out the Jacks.

Comment

My thoughts:

Lincoln/Omaha media wants to see a buyout and therefore likes to talk about it.

The University of Nebraska doesn't want to pay the price to do so.
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            My thoughts:

Lincoln/Omaha media wants to see a buyout and therefore likes to talk about it.

The University of Nebraska doesn't want to pay the price to do so.
                            I think we have a winner

Comment

Trust me, Nebraska fan is none to happy to see South Dakota State University on their schedule. They know their non-conference schedule is weak and SDSU hasn't enhanced that image. To them, any FCS school on their schedule is an embarrassment, regardless of the quality of opponent.

Comment

I don't take it personally or as a show of disrespect at all. Nebraska wants to get back to elite FBS status, and that doesn't match up with playing FCS opponents. If you're Nebraska, you can get your pick of mid-level FBS opponents, so it makes sense that they're not happy with an FCS game.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X