No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND's Tommy Schuster hitting the portal as a grad transfer, per Valley News Live.

With all of these extra Covid years, it will be interesting to see what players stick around and which ones move on as an actual graduate. Not saying this is the case here (UND's 2023 roster says Schuster is working on his MBA, I really don't know what his status is)... but if a student-athlete realizes they don't have a future in the NFL, then they certainly know life has to go on after school. If their current school doesn't have their next step as a masters program, they really have no choice but to move on just due to academics. It's one thing to stretch out an undergrad to 5 years... but it's typically not possible (for most people......) to stretch it out to 6 years, at least while keeping grades up enough for athletics.

Of course... there's always going to be the rats jumping off the boat to greener pastures and NIL too, but I'm interested in the academic side of things here.

Comment

• Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post

Slightly different scenario due to talent levels, but similar to Andrew Van Ginkel from a few years ago. 2014 Graduate of Boyden Hull/Rock Volley. 2014 Redshirt at USD. 2015 1st Team ALL MVFC at USD. 2016 Iowa Western CC rather than sitting out a year. 2017, 2018 played at Wisconsin. 2019 - Present - Miami Dolphins.
      Boyden Hull and Rock Valley are two separate schools they share a football program. Andrew was the QB and a very good one on a good team. I think they might have made it to the final game. Andrew graduated from Rock Valley

bit of interesting info- Andrew did not want to play college football. he wanted to play hoops for the Jacks. he was a 6'5 ish PG and very good!! he scored over 40 many times in his final year against VERY GOOD NW IA hoops competition including EVERY tournament game (3 or 4 games dont recall for sure? they lost one game before substate)

almost 30 year hoops coach at RV has told me that Andrew is the best player he ever coached at RV. that includes MANY MANY college players (multiple national champions at Northwestern) as well as Jordan Dykstra and Marcus Heemstra and both that coach and members of Andrews family have clearly stated to me that his first choice for college was to be a Jackrabbit and play BB

Comment

• Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post
        UND's Tommy Schuster hitting the portal as a grad transfer, per Valley News Live.

With all of these extra Covid years, it will be interesting to see what players stick around and which ones move on as an actual graduate. Not saying this is the case here (UND's 2023 roster says Schuster is working on his MBA, I really don't know what his status is)... but if a student-athlete realizes they don't have a future in the NFL, then they certainly know life has to go on after school. If their current school doesn't have their next step as a masters program, they really have no choice but to move on just due to academics. It's one thing to stretch out an undergrad to 5 years... but it's typically not possible (for most people......) to stretch it out to 6 years, at least while keeping grades up enough for athletics.

Of course... there's always going to be the rats jumping off the boat to greener pastures and NIL too, but I'm interested in the academic side of things here.
        I guess i cannot say if all the rules are the same?? I know when Josh Ranek stayed for his 6th season, he was required to leave school for the Spring Semester of his 5th year. so he actually had 5 years of school but 6 seasons of football

Comment

• http://twitter.com/HarcusMicks99/sta...26563132014772

Just picked up a transfer from Quinton Hick's brother. Played Offensive Line for the Sooners.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackrabbit2012 View Post
            http://twitter.com/HarcusMicks99/sta...26563132014772

Just picked up a transfer from Quinton Hick's brother. Played Offensive Line for the Sooners.
            Sounds like it might've been more complicated than that. He was a 4-star recruit as a DE, moved to OL, and then moved to DT.

He reportedly didn't play in 2019 or this year, had an Achilles injury and was out all of 2020, played once in 2021, and twice in 2022.

Comment

• How does our OL look for next year? Who do we lose and who is back? Any insight as to who will probably start next year?
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

• Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                How does our OL look for next year? Who do we lose and who is back? Any insight as to who will probably start next year?
                We lose Greenfield, McCormick and O'Brian from the starting lineup.

I expect it to be... potentially Hicks, Q. Christensen, Miller, Beerentsen, and possibly Dawson Rudd. If Hicks can't play, I be they'll have Q Christensen at LT and then Jalen Lee or William Paepke at left guard.
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

• Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

I expect it to be... potentially Hicks, Q. Christensen, Miller, Beerentsen, and possibly Dawson Rudd. If Hicks can't play, I be they'll have Q Christensen at LT and then Jalen Lee or William Paepke at left guard.
                  I was expecting Big Bow would be in the mix, is he just a year away still? I heard that Donald was competing for a spot with O'Brain in fall camp, are injuries just holding him back next year?

Comment

• Well… I guess only the coaches know how good the offensive line might be for next year… The two deep for the unit might be a challenge!!
                    I don’t know if the rest of you heard this, but the commentators for the Mercer game said when they talked with Coach Rogers he said on the present roster only five players had more than one scholarship offer. I’m assuming one of those is Derrick Johnson, who is in the transfer portal! Maybe he will stay
                    with the team… We really only have two experienced running backs.
                    Coach Rogers said it is Loyalty to the team that players stay because of normally that one good scholarship offer! Plus the fact that Coach Stig believed in Rogers when Rogers was recruited!! I’ve seen Coach Rogers get quite teary eyed at least twice now when he talks about this…and he doesn’t normally show much of that emotion!!! I’m sure that’s what they tell those presently on the team when they are recruited!! If that’s true, I was surprised that there still were not more than five players with more than one scholarship offer!! But, actually, to tell recruits that coaches really believe in them can really make loyalty to the team a lasting commitment!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 73alum View Post
                      Well… I guess only the coaches know how good the offensive line might be for next year… The two deep for the unit might be a challenge!!
                      I don’t know if the rest of you heard this, but the commentators for the Mercer game said when they talked with Coach Rogers he said on the present roster only five players had more than one scholarship offer. I’m assuming one of those is Derrick Johnson, who is in the transfer portal! Maybe he will stay
                      with the team… We really only have two experienced running backs.
                      Coach Rogers said it is Loyalty to the team that players stay because of normally that one good scholarship offer! Plus the fact that Coach Stig believed in Rogers when Rogers was recruited!! I’ve seen Coach Rogers get quite teary eyed at least twice now when he talks about this…and he doesn’t normally show much of that emotion!!! I’m sure that’s what they tell those presently on the team when they are recruited!! If that’s true, I was surprised that there still were not more than five players with more than one scholarship offer!! But, actually, to tell recruits that coaches really believe in them can really make loyalty to the team a lasting commitment!!!
                      Coach said on a recent radio coaches show that only 3 or 4 of the 18 who walked on Senior Day had more than one offer, so the TV announcers may have misunderstood. If you look at the recruiting threads for each year in the sticky threads, you can see the number of offers that each player had when they committed.There are a good number that only had a Jacks offer, but probably half or more had multiple offers.

Comment

• Two All-American type O-lineman from Montana State entered the portal today. They likely will draw FBS interest, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to check in and gauge interest. They definitely know our program after playing us 3 times in 2 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

I know Bloomenrader walked in senior day but what about the other 5th year seniors? I believe there’s Donald, Beck, and Vibert. Are they not coming back or are these younger guys just better? I’d of thought it’d be better to play what will be 6th year seniors over younger guys, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by JacksFan80 View Post
                            I know Bloomenrader walked in senior day but what about the other 5th year seniors? I believe there’s Donald, Beck, and Vibert. Are they not coming back or are these younger guys just better? I’d of thought it’d be better to play what will be 6th year seniors over younger guys, but I could be wrong.
                            Vibert will probably compete for that open guard spot but I think the others are better but he has proven to be okay at center. Brady Beck hasn't played in his time here. Sounds like he is a great guy to have in the room because of his intelligence and mentoring but I'm not sure if the talent level is there compared to the other guys.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

• I wish all players success and hope they all work out, but personally I am not holding my breath in excitement for the Oklahoma transfer OL. There's been some great transfers, Isaiah Stalbird and Jason Freeman come to mind currently. But there's been more I feel like that haven't panned out, whether to talent or bad luck injury. It seems like most of our FBS to FCS transfers we bring in have not been much of a contributor. There's usually a reason they are leaving their previous school and they are bringing some type of baggage with them that our staff hopes they can coach out of them and help the player overcome.

Comment

• We have the perfect model right now. Our culture retains most contributing players. Our staff has the luxury of supplementing with transfers not relying on them. Big difference. We don’t have to promise transfers things like other schools do.

Comment

Working...
                                X