What kind of a Season will 2013 be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What kind of a Season will 2013 be?

When does camp start? gotta be soon right? cant wait(Bart Scott) for the first game of the year. looking forward to hearing how camp goes and who steps up and see the depth chart develop. Man I am excited.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Sunday Aug 4th players report

Comment

Anyone planning on making the trip up to Grand Forks? I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about the UND squad this year, and luckily the best games are at home this year. While there were a lot of injuries on the defense last year, I don't think it would have made too much difference in the results - they could not tackle anyone (I guess they couldn't cover anyone either, although the worst starting corner in FCS was moved to safety this year). I'm worried that Zenner is going to run all over everyone. I do think, however, that having Kotelnicki as d coordinator will energize the entire defense, as I've heard a lot of good things about him and how he can get the kids to play. Also, I think you're going to see a lot of younger kids playing, with the potential for a Freshmen or two to have their shirts pulled this year on that side of the ball. It can't get any worse than last year, but how much better it gets - I really don't know what to expect.

Offensively, the one obvious question mark is the quarterback. All we have are RS Freshmen, although Joe Mollberg was very highly recruited and has a very good competition going with Ryan Bartels. I think Mollberg wins the battle, and he definitely has the weapons at WR. Most have heard of Greg Hardin, but be on the lookout for Kenny Golladay. If you've browsed through any UND threads at SS or AGS (if they don't turn into UND/NDSU pissing matches) you've maybe heard the name. Kid was underrecruited (one Illinois analyst thought that he had the potential to play Big 10, but I believe UND was his only D1 offer) but man is he gleaming with potential. Had his redshirt pulled last year at one of the deepest positions on the team, and battled through an ankle injury and had some decent moments. Kid catches most anything thrown his way, and he's 6'4" or 6'5", with increasing speed from last year. Also have another Soph WR in Jameer Jackson who is about 6'3" and 235 lbs who will outmuscle a lot of DBs. He was a Freshmen all American last season I believe. However, the young QBs need time to throw the ball and also need a running game to compliment the passing attack - both areas that UND struggled last year. Still don't really have who I would consider an all-everything back, although PJ Sparks could be that guy if given the chance. I think you'll see a lot of Jake Miller with some Sparks sprinkled in, but last year was not a good year at running the ball. Would love to establish a running game early, but we'll see how the line play holds up.

This will be the only game I'm planning on making it to (sans any potential playoff matchups), so I'm pretty pumped for this game. The homer in me says that UND plays a very good game for this and squeaks out a W, but the realistic part of me says that SDSU wears out the UND defense and pulls away late.
        Fighting Sioux

Comment

This isn't the AGS poll. As a voter at ags, it will be in mid/late Aug. More voters wanted! Sign up if qualified. Great way to stay up to speed on the FCS.

Comment

To Hambone, while any game with our former ncc mate should be a good game, I concur that jacks are likely to have too many weapons for da former Sioux. Hope to see und in the summit/mvfc sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post
              Anyone planning on making the trip up to Grand Forks? I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about the UND squad this year, and luckily the best games are at home this year. While there were a lot of injuries on the defense last year, I don't think it would have made too much difference in the results - they could not tackle anyone (I guess they couldn't cover anyone either, although the worst starting corner in FCS was moved to safety this year). I'm worried that Zenner is going to run all over everyone. I do think, however, that having Kotelnicki as d coordinator will energize the entire defense, as I've heard a lot of good things about him and how he can get the kids to play. Also, I think you're going to see a lot of younger kids playing, with the potential for a Freshmen or two to have their shirts pulled this year on that side of the ball. It can't get any worse than last year, but how much better it gets - I really don't know what to expect.

Offensively, the one obvious question mark is the quarterback. All we have are RS Freshmen, although Joe Mollberg was very highly recruited and has a very good competition going with Ryan Bartels. I think Mollberg wins the battle, and he definitely has the weapons at WR. Most have heard of Greg Hardin, but be on the lookout for Kenny Golladay. If you've browsed through any UND threads at SS or AGS (if they don't turn into UND/NDSU pissing matches) you've maybe heard the name. Kid was underrecruited (one Illinois analyst thought that he had the potential to play Big 10, but I believe UND was his only D1 offer) but man is he gleaming with potential. Had his redshirt pulled last year at one of the deepest positions on the team, and battled through an ankle injury and had some decent moments. Kid catches most anything thrown his way, and he's 6'4" or 6'5", with increasing speed from last year. Also have another Soph WR in Jameer Jackson who is about 6'3" and 235 lbs who will outmuscle a lot of DBs. He was a Freshmen all American last season I believe. However, the young QBs need time to throw the ball and also need a running game to compliment the passing attack - both areas that UND struggled last year. Still don't really have who I would consider an all-everything back, although PJ Sparks could be that guy if given the chance. I think you'll see a lot of Jake Miller with some Sparks sprinkled in, but last year was not a good year at running the ball. Would love to establish a running game early, but we'll see how the line play holds up.

This will be the only game I'm planning on making it to (sans any potential playoff matchups), so I'm pretty pumped for this game. The homer in me says that UND plays a very good game for this and squeaks out a W, but the realistic part of me says that SDSU wears out the UND defense and pulls away late.
              I am hoping to make it to the game this year.
              We...ARE...STATE!
              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

The UND game worries me because its at their place. It's a needed win to solidify a playoff spot this year. If State wins this one they're most likely going to be 3-0 and then probably 3-1 heading into conference play.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

When was the last time SDSU won a football game in Grand Forks?
                  Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                    How bout the transfer pick up Terry mentioned in his blog this morning?!

WR Lavre Jones
                    6'4" 210 pounds
                    Fort Scott Community College

From how Terry talks about him, sounds like he could be a huge get for us.
                    I saw his picture on the blog and the guy looks like an absolute hoss. If he plays as athletic as he looks in that picture, he is going to be a huge get for us and will fill a big need.

Comment

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/24491/highlights/10463390

Comment

One area where I would like to see improvement is on special teams. I seem to remember lots and lots of fair catches or drops on punts that were pretty returnable... did Schneider eventually end up back there since he could at least catch it?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          One area where I would like to see improvement is on special teams. I seem to remember lots and lots of fair catches or drops on punts that were pretty returnable... did Schneider eventually end up back there since he could at least catch it?Sorry if this has already been mentioned.
                          Good point. I had forgot about that already. It was brutal last year.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            One area where I would like to see improvement is on special teams. I seem to remember lots and lots of fair catches or drops on punts that were pretty returnable... did Schneider eventually end up back there since he could at least catch it?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.
                            If I recall correctly, there were also numerous punt catches inside the 10 yard line that were driving us all batty.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                              If I recall correctly, there were also numerous punt catches inside the 10 yard line that were driving us all batty.
                              It seemed like they were all inside the 5 yd line. Brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                It seemed like they were all inside the 5 yd line. Brutal.
                                Took till half the season before it sounded like coach really addressed that. if its above your head at the 5-10 yard line just let it go hope for the touch back and dont chance flubbin it. Man that was frustrating. then again it gave ZZ more yards to work with to get his record number.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X