Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bison Week

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    NDSU has a better defense. Offense is a wash in my mind and will come down to play on the line. If one team can establish the run that team will have the advantage. Special teams are equal as well with the exception of the punt game. The Jacks cannot get punt returns right and punted terribly against SIU (Sawyer was ill, I am aware). If the Jacks don't do a better job fielding punts deep in their own territory the Bison will bury them and dominate field position.

Stig and the coaches have to be working hard with the return guys. It seems the Jacks only fair catch the ball inside the 10 (wrong strategy) and let it bounce between the 10-20 (need to come up and catch it, no exceptions). I don't think I've seen us rush the punter and yet there haven't been any significant punt returns.

I think it will come down to field position if turnovers are equal. Stating that, I have to give the Bison the edge with the knowledge that punts will likely be plentiful. Jacks get the punt return game right and I think we'll see the upset.
    Since we almost never return a punt, I've wondered if it might be better to drop two return people. It seems like the other team directional punts away from the return man,and we don't get in good position to catch the punt . Having two people would increase the chances of making an easier fair catch and eliminating the ball rolling ten yards further downfield,or trying to catch the punt on the run.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
      I like our recent history of playing #1 ranked Bison teams with conference titles hanging in the balance.
      I'm with Danger41.

The Bison coaches will be harping on their team that the Jackrabbits are for real and cannot be overlooked. The Bison will be ready to play their best...I've seen some of their best (at times they were faultless playing YSU) and it's the stuff one would expect from a national-title defender. But, they're capable of screwing up too. Like championship tennis, this game will likely be decided in favor of the team which best limits unforced errors.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        NDSU has a better defense. Offense is a wash in my mind and will come down to play on the line. If one team can establish the run that team will have the advantage. Special teams are equal as well with the exception of the punt game. The Jacks cannot get punt returns right and punted terribly against SIU (Sawyer was ill, I am aware). If the Jacks don't do a better job fielding punts deep in their own territory the Bison will bury them and dominate field position.

Stig and the coaches have to be working hard with the return guys. It seems the Jacks only fair catch the ball inside the 10 (wrong strategy) and let it bounce between the 10-20 (need to come up and catch it, no exceptions). I don't think I've seen us rush the punter and yet there haven't been any significant punt returns.

I think it will come down to field position if turnovers are equal. Stating that, I have to give the Bison the edge with the knowledge that punts will likely be plentiful. Jacks get the punt return game right and I think we'll see the upset.
        Jackmd,I don't see why we see different things here.I watched the team send everyone on punts trying for the block,to no avail, and leave the punt returner out to dry with no blocking,he has no choice but to fair catch.What i'd like to see,forget the punt blocking,we never get one, and drop guys back to set up some returns.There's no reason why we shouldn't get some returns in a game.When it's all fair catches or gambling with the bounce, somethings definately wrong with the punting game.I'll watch more closely next game and see if i'm thinking this entirely wrong.

Comment

Anyone know what channel this game will be on??Go Jacks!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            Jackmd,I don't see why we see different things here.I watched the team send everyone on punts trying for the block,to no avail, and leave the punt returner out to dry with no blocking,he has no choice but to fair catch.What i'd like to see,forget the punt blocking,we never get one, and drop guys back to set up some returns.There's no reason why we shouldn't get some returns in a game.When it's all fair catches or gambling with the bounce, somethings definately wrong with the punting game.I'll watch more closely next game and see if i'm thinking this entirely wrong.
            I should have been more clear, what I meant is we don't seem to get any rush on the punter. There may be an intent to block kick it just seems there is no chance.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
              Anyone know what channel this game will be on??Go Jacks!!
              Fox College Sports Central (FCS Central). We have it on Midcontinent's sports package in the Yankton area. I don't know if DirecTV carries it. Not sure about Knology (whatever it is now), Dish or Mediacom.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

The Bison are very, very good.

It will take some fortunate breaks for the Jacks... a turnover or two, in my opinion.

And we can't turn the ball over in the red zone like last week.

Should be a fun game!

Comment

I definately agree with that,we don't get enough pressure on the kicker.Just curious,but i've noticed that other teams have three man wall of blockers lined up right in front of their kicker,we only have one maybe two guys get past LOS and get to that wall of blockers,they are easily blocked out of the play.My theory is,we should choose one, block the kick or set up the return,either one,but whatever way we go, do it well so that there's a positive outcome all the time.Better yet ,we can do both well, and mix it up.......that's wishful thinking so far this year,as all it's been is fair catch ,and the bouncing ball roulette.
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-05-2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                    Wow is all I have to say
                    Is that a promise?

Comment

turnovers, turnovers, turnovers
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                        Wow is all I have to say
                        The place is kind of a dump and the cannon IS stupid. 64 knows what he's talking about. Besides taking offense to his shots at the Fargo Dome, how is 64's post causing the "Wow"? I think the rest of his post is hard to argue against. The pressure is going to be on NDSU. SDSU will come in as 14 point underdogs having been picked to finish in the bottom half of the league to start the season.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

The only chance I've had to see the Bison play in the last 2 years was in last year's championship game. I know they have the best DB in the FCS and numerous returning starters on both sides of the ball, but what makes that defense tick? They are only giving up 180 yards per game! You will always be in games when your defense doesn't let you move the ball. Even if Jensen is throwing multiple picks that result in scores or set up scores, how are you going to be a regular threat to score if you can't move the ball on them. Is there defensive line that outstanding, is the scheme and game plans that the coaches put together, is it the fact that their DB's don't allow WR's to create any space for the passing game? I'd like to know!

We know that the Jacks have the ability to run the ball as well as any team in the FCS. Sumner has proven with his year last year and in glimplses this year that he can lead a strong passing game. If the coaches get creative at all in mixing up the play calling, including play action passing like on Hobo Day, our offense can be as dynamic as any in the MVFC.

The question I have is how do we best attack the Bison? What do we need to look for early in the game to see if we can be a threat to score 20+ points on the Bison? If we don't, I hate to put that much pressure on our special teams to be adequate in maintaining a competitive field position balance and not require the defense to play beyond their usual outstanding D.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                            The only chance I've had to see the Bison play in the last 2 years was in last year's championship game. I know they have the best DB in the FCS and numerous returning starters on both sides of the ball, but what makes that defense tick? They are only giving up 180 yards per game! You will always be in games when your defense doesn't let you move the ball. Even if Jensen is throwing multiple picks that result in scores or set up scores, how are you going to be a regular threat to score if you can't move the ball on them. Is there defensive line that outstanding, is the scheme and game plans that the coaches put together, is it the fact that their DB's don't allow WR's to create any space for the passing game? I'd like to know!

We know that the Jacks have the ability to run the ball as well as any team in the FCS. Sumner has proven with his year last year and in glimplses this year that he can lead a strong passing game. If the coaches get creative at all in mixing up the play calling, including play action passing like on Hobo Day, our offense can be as dynamic as any in the MVFC.

The question I have is how do we best attack the Bison? What do we need to look for early in the game to see if we can be a threat to score 20+ points on the Bison? If we don't, I hate to put that much pressure on our special teams to be adequate in maintaining a competitive field position balance and not require the defense to play beyond their usual outstanding D.
                            Its going to come down to the LOS. The fat guys will decide. SIU manhandled our O-line and got to Zenner before he even made it to the LOS multiple times. YSU did the same thing. YSU has one of the worst pass defenses in the nation and the Jacks ate them alive. SIU is more balance and that showed. NDSU is much more like SIU than YSU.

Control the LOS, don't turn it over, win the game. If the Bison "load the box" and force Sumner to pass (seems logical) the Jacks better catch the ball and Sumner better have one eye on Williams, that guy is as Dback as there is in the FCS ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

I say we should pound the run game right off the bat. It will be on the players to do that. I would cringe if we try something cute or a bunch of play actions early on and then make a critical mistake and fall behind early. Something like UNI. Keep pounding the run game and do safe, efficient throws. Hopefully the players can be successful. Then, as the game unfolds start opening up the plays with timely play actions and "surprise" plays. But still, running the ball. Try to out muscle them and play to our identity. Please no sugar coating ! At least not early. Once the game takes off, no body really knows how it will play out haha So by the end of the game it will hopefully be a free for all with both teams doing whatever it takes to win... That's the ideal situation we are looking for IMO

Comment

Fargodome is a dump? I love that...I don't think it warrants much of a response as only two people have said something on this thread about that...and I would not want to be held accountable for some of the Bison fans.

As for the game, I think the game could come down to special teams. Starting field position could really make or break either of our offenses. Both defenses can be quite stingy, and offenses would be somewhat crippled if they are pinned deep. OTOH, with really good field position, play action could be set up. Other than that, turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. I believe either side could survive one turnover, but two would doom a team.

I look forward to the game and hope to see some of you out tailgating. If you plan on tailgating let me know and I'll bring a home brew for you to try. Making stout chili as well...made with homebrewed stout beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X