Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bison Week

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
    Fargodome is a dump? I love that...I don't think it warrants much of a response as only two people have said something on this thread about that...and I would not want to be held accountable for some of the Bison fans.

As for the game, I think the game could come down to special teams. Starting field position could really make or break either of our offenses. Both defenses can be quite stingy, and offenses would be somewhat crippled if they are pinned deep. OTOH, with really good field position, play action could be set up. Other than that, turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. I believe either side could survive one turnover, but two would doom a team.

I look forward to the game and hope to see some of you out tailgating. If you plan on tailgating let me know and I'll bring a home brew for you to try. Making stout chili as well...made with homebrewed stout beer.
    In for a home brew.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Agreed, but the Bison need to earn that pedestal. The "how great they are" story line reminds me of a story about U.S. Grant. He became the general he was because he learned early on, at Fort Donelson and Shiloh, that no opponent was infallible, that the humans on the other side feared him as much as he feared them, and that the key to good generalship was to remember and exploit and stoke that fear. It's what separated him from the McLellans and all the other failures of the war, the guys who always overestimated the other guy simply because he was the other guy. You can be as hamstrung by overestimating your opponent just as much as underestimating them. Of course the Bison are very good and props to the defending champs. But the Bison also are not invincible - never should be consiodered so, IMHO, in this rivalry. And there is an overlooked fact this week: the pucker factor is much higher for them than it is for the Jacks.First, on invincibility: The Bison have lost an MVC game at home. The Jacks have not. They struggled against Mo. State, albeit on the road, more than the Jacks did against the Bears. There are counters to this argument: Our one MVC loss was a bad one to a team they handled pretty well. On the pucker factor: Given the pre-season expectations - including from some on this board - the Jacks are essentially playing with house money on Saturday. The Jacks were not expected to be serious playoff contenders, much less league title contenders. Teams like that can be very dangerous, especially because this is NOT the last game of the season. On that last point, the big picture is very, very important to put Saturday into context: The Bison have the toughest remaining schedule of the four contenders, and a loss to SDSU clearly puts NDSU in bigger playoff/seeding peril than a Jack loss in Fargo does to SDSU. Assuming that a fourth MVC team will be vulnerable and on the bubble. Here is why: The Bison end the season on the road Nov. 17 against 8-2, 5-2 Illinois State, which will have had a bye week to heal and to game plan, and which will be playing for the league title at home if the Bison win this weekend. The same day, the Jacks end against USD at home, ostensibly needing that game to get to eight wins and 6-2 in the conference and into the playoffs IF they lose in Fargo. Of course the U game is no given, and one must always be wary of resumed rivalries as strong as this one. I am not counting chickens, just laying out objective scenarios: Would you rather be playing the U at home with a chance to get in the playoffs, or Illinois State on the road? Meanwhile, Indiana State (7-3, 5-2), whom the Jacks have beaten, is on the road Nov. 17 against Youngstown and also will be coming off a bye week. Bottom line: Does a 5-3, fourth-place MVC team make the playoffs, even if that team has eight overall wins (whose signature non-conference win is over a bad 2-7 Colorado State team, and whose other two non-conference wins were over FCS powederpuffs with combined records of 6-12 in weak leagues?) That is where the Bison will be with two losses and if Indiana State beats Youngstown State on the road on the 17th.So the Bison need this game more than the Jacks do. Let it all hang out, Jacks. Play to win and not to not lose.
      You are flat out insane if you think there is any chance that NDSU gets left out out of the playoffs. Jealousy is not your color. Lots of Marker games have had a huge special teams play that turned things. Last year had a punt return TD by NDSU, SDSU had a huge return in '08, '07 had a Bison fumble on a punt and SDSU had a gigantic punt return TD, and '06 had a few big returns with one being a long punt return that changed the game. Lots of big special teams plays recently in the rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        In my opinion, that's playing not to lose. The coaches shouldn't be afraid of anything this week. No matter what happens, a win against USD puts SDSU in the playoffs. That's the goal. Just go play.
        NOOOOOOO !!! Oh my I don't know where to begin. We are in a glorious position right now and if you would have told me we'd be in this position at the beginning of the year I would have lost it and am right now. This game against NDSU is the most epic possible ! We are playing to win the Missouri Valley outright ! The Missouri valley being the toughest conference in the nation of fcs. The playoffs mean nothing in my mind, that is just for ***** and giggles compared to this game on Saturday lol

Plus NDSU is #1 and the defending champs and our rival. Stealing the Missouri valley this year is what its about. I have drank too much coffee and am obsessed ! Granted I think NDSU might murder us, but a W here would be transformative. Everybody obsesses over the playoffs and I don't get it. We are in the best conference in the nation and have one game to take the title. yes there's usd. But this game against NDSU is the game to end all games. Does someone see how important a win would be ??

All year we have been battling it out and jostling for position in this conference and by some miracle we could take the title outright with a W on Saturday. (usd too)

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
          You are flat out insane if you think there is any chance that NDSU gets left out out of the playoffs. Jealousy is not your color. Lots of Marker games have had a huge special teams play that turned things. Last year had a punt return TD by NDSU, SDSU had a huge return in '08, '07 had a Bison fumble on a punt and SDSU had a gigantic punt return TD, and '06 had a few big returns with one being a long punt return that changed the game. Lots of big special teams plays recently in the rivalry.
          Gotta agree with you on this one. Can't really see a way the Bison don't make the field. Even losing the last two. Would it impact seeding? Absolutely. But you're in no matter what. And with one win in the last two games, we are, too.
          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

TransAm: Legions of Jackrabbits would travel to Fargo for the game but there are no tickets. I take my cap off to NDSU for fabulous season ticket sales etc etc. and I'm not complaining- just pointing out the obvious. This is the first SDSU at NDsu game I've missed since we both moved to D 1. This year, willingness to travel has nothing to do with the size of the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
              You are flat out insane if you think there is any chance that NDSU gets left out out of the playoffs. Jealousy is not your color. Lots of Marker games have had a huge special teams play that turned things. Last year had a punt return TD by NDSU, SDSU had a huge return in '08, '07 had a Bison fumble on a punt and SDSU had a gigantic punt return TD, and '06 had a few big returns with one being a long punt return tha-2 the next changed the game. Lots of big special teams plays recently in the rivalry.
              A little puckered, are we?

IF the Humps go 0-2 the last two games - repeat, IF - NDSU could very well end up in fourth place in the MVC, a bubble-team scenario no matter what you say.
              Pointing it out as a possiblity has nothing to do with jealousy, but denying that it could never happen has everything to do with flat-out arrogance.

Here's hoping for a 9-2, 7-1 Jacks finish.

Comment

A limited number of tickets for the SDSU vs NDSU football game in Fargo on November 10, will go onsale Friday November 9 at 8am. For more information call the Bison Ticket Office at 1-888-231-6378.
                Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                TransAm: Legions of Jackrabbits would travel to Fargo for the game but there are no tickets. I take my cap off to NDSU for fabulous season ticket sales etc etc. and I'm not complaining- just pointing out the obvious. This is the first SDSU at NDsu game I've missed since we both moved to D 1. This year, willingness to travel has nothing to do with the size of the crowd.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Good discovery, Old Hare....looks like I may be able to make it to the game.

Fact is, visitor seating is pretty crappy in the FargoBox and with the difficulty in getting tickets, people don't plan on traveling to Fargo.

Comment

I will be watching for the score as I will be in the Twin Cities watching women basketball.
                    Good discovery, Old Hare....looks like I may make it to the game.

Fact is, visitor seating is pretty crappy in the FargoBox and with the difficulty in getting tickets, people don't plan on traveling to Fargo.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Basketball at Alabama Friday and this virtual conference championship football game Saturday. Quite a weekend!

Comment

Fact is, visitor seating is pretty crappy in the FargoBox
                        Have to speak up to this. Visitor seating is in the endzone, where else do you expect it to be? Granted the seats aren't angled towards the field but still.
                        -Colorado State. Endzone (straight on seats)
                        -Minnesota. Corner of Endzone Upperdeck (seats angled)
                        -UNI. Endzone like the Fargodome
                        "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                          A limited number of tickets for the SDSU vs NDSU football game in Fargo on November 10, will go onsale Friday November 9 at 8am. For more information call the Bison Ticket Office at 1-888-231-6378.
                          Expect them to be standing room. That'd be my guess. Those are the seats I got a few years ago when we went up there and got the W. But it was worth the while. I left a happy camper. Standing room in the Fargodome is in the corners, I believe. Not the best, but they do have big screens that help a bit. Somebody from NDSU can shed more light on this, I reckon.
                          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                            What would you call CAS? Seriously...you could say football should be played outdoors, or make fun of the announcer, but calling it a dump? Please...you prolly have never been inside...likely with how few SDSU people travel. The Fargodome is a very nice facility. They could always do things to make it better, but there is absolutely nothing that would make it even a little "dump-like".
                            Im gonna go out on a limb and say he has been in the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Herd View Post
                              Have to speak up to this. Visitor seating is in the endzone, where else do you expect it to be? Granted the seats aren't angled towards the field but still.
                              -Colorado State. Endzone (straight on seats)
                              -Minnesota. Corner of Endzone Upperdeck (seats angled)
                              -UNI. Endzone like the Fargodome
                              You provided several examples of crappy visitor seating. And your point is? I understand there's not much reason to provide good seats to visitors. Some venues provide seating on sidelines that I think are better than end zone seats. I've sat in the end zone in Fargo once and on other occasions I had tickets on the side. While the end zone seats were crappy, they provided a great view of Ryan Berry shredding the Bison defensive secondary and the Jackrabbit win.

By the way, if you are collecting examples of poor visitor seating, add Nebraska to your list. If the Bison get on UNL's schedule, you'll find it's a great time but crappy seats nonetheless.

Edit: We will be building a great new outdoor facility at SDSU. I assume visitor seating will be the worst in the house. I won't be offended if Bison fans buy a ticket and note that the seats are crappy.

Comment

You provided several examples of crappy visitor seating. And you point is?
                                My point: Anytime you play a larger college (FBS) or fan base with a high number of season ticket holders there is only one option left. So what is the point of complaining about it? I would think it should be expected.
                                "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Working...
                                X