New Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Stadium

I watched a replay of the USD/SDSU MBB game on SDSU channel #2 last night. During halftime on Thursday Tyler interviewed A.D. Sell. Sell noted that as of Thursday night (they released the survey that morning), they had over 1000 responses. That's pretty impressive for one day, so obviously alot of people on interested in a new stadium.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
      Lower the drinking age to 18 or 19 and youd probably keep them in Brookings.
      Late on the reply here, but since when did the drinking age ever stop kids from drinking....I'm not saying, I'm just saying......
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        Late on the reply here, but since when did the drinking age ever stop kids from drinking....I'm not saying, I'm just saying......
        A lot dont stay to drink around brookings because the Brookings PD is very active to stop underage drinking. For several years more and more kids have gotten ticketed even though most were not doing anything bad to bring the police out. When I started in college, there were dozens of party houses that were around for years but rarely got busted. after a couple years almost every house got busted at least once a year. UPD on campus makes drinking on campus challenging enough. I think a lot of kids who want to drink realize its better to go home or leave town, and those who stay probably dont care about the party sence as much. Otherwise I think the school and community still nee to find ways to keep kids in town on weekends. Just for the business aspect of it. If more kids stay around, more are eating out, spending money in town etc.....
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          A lot dont stay to drink around brookings because the Brookings PD is very active to stop underage drinking. For several years more and more kids have gotten ticketed even though most were not doing anything bad to bring the police out. When I started in college, there were dozens of party houses that were around for years but rarely got busted. after a couple years almost every house got busted at least once a year. UPD on campus makes drinking on campus challenging enough. I think a lot of kids who want to drink realize its better to go home or leave town, and those who stay probably dont care about the party sence as much. Otherwise I think the school and community still nee to find ways to keep kids in town on weekends. Just for the business aspect of it. If more kids stay around, more are eating out, spending money in town etc.....
          And all this will be solved by lowering the drinking age.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            And all this will be solved by lowering the drinking age.
            O the memories of being 18 and legal at the Lucky Lady for dollar pitchers BEFORE the Hobo Day parade/game.
            Most of the time we even had someone legal (sober) enough to drive us to the game.

Comment

So the economic development plan for Brookings is to lower the drinking age so they dont leave? Oh brother.

Comment

While we're at it, let's legalize marijuana, too. Not only would the college kids stay around on the weekends, Brookings becomes a weekend hotspot for about a 1000 mile radius. Enrollment would probably double, too.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Um . . . thread topic is "New Stadium" ?????
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    While we're at it, let's legalize marijuana, too. Not only would the college kids stay around on the weekends, Brookings becomes a weekend hotspot for about a 1000 mile radius. Enrollment would probably double, too.
                    Go for the trifecta and legalize prostitution just for kicks and giggles.

Back on topic. I am hoping every who can give for the stadium can. Be it 5 dollars or 5000.

I don't know about others but for home games till its built as a way to make a few extra bucks besides the standard donations for the stadium to do a 50\50 raffel. 5 bucks maybe and have the money raised goes for the stadium other half to a raffel winner. My guess could make 10s of thousands to 100s of thousdand depending how long fund raising takes and construction costs. Or raffel 20 bucks for chance to win luxury box for a year. My numbers are just examples but what do others think.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Go for the trifecta and legalize prostitution just for kicks and giggles.

Back on topic. I am hoping every who can give for the stadium can. Be it 5 dollars or 5000.

I don't know about others but for home games till its built as a way to make a few extra bucks besides the standard donations for the stadium to do a 50\50 raffel. 5 bucks maybe and have the money raised goes for the stadium other half to a raffel winner. My guess could make 10s of thousands to 100s of thousdand depending how long fund raising takes and construction costs. Or raffel 20 bucks for chance to win luxury box for a year. My numbers are just examples but what do others think.
                      The South Dakota Lottery might not like your raffel too much. Just saying. The leading institution in higher education involved in gambling? Some old lady in Pukwana may be offended on moral grounds. Seriously not a bad idea, but you might need volunteers to sell and collect the raffel funds, which would involve accountability etc. Maybe the end result could cost the HPER Money instead of making some. My suggestion is to keep giving to Jackrabbit Club. The more small contributions going towards scholarships, the more money for other purposes is freed up to apply towards building the staduim.

Comment

The South Dakota Lottery might not like your raffel too much. Just saying. The leading institution in higher education involved in gambling? Some old lady in Pukwana may be offended on moral grounds. Seriously not a bad idea, but you might need volunteers to sell and collect the raffel funds, which would involve accountability etc. Maybe the end result could cost the HPER Money instead of making some. My suggestion is to keep giving to Jackrabbit Club. The more small contributions going towards scholarships, the more money for other purposes is freed up to apply towards building the staduim.
                        Speaking on the SD Lottery, what are the chances they would develop a Jackrabbit scratch off ticket with some proceeds going to the new stadium? I'm sure none, but another of those win/win scenarios where each side would think they are overly important to do something mutually beneficial.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Speaking on the SD Lottery, what are the chances they would develop a Jackrabbit scratch off ticket with some proceeds going to the new stadium? I'm sure none, but another of those win/win scenarios where each side would think they are overly important to do something mutually beneficial.
                          Now thats a workable idea. Lingle, the women's bb player has an uncle and a former Jack football player in charge of the SD lottery. Any kind of raffle on this scale requires some expertise and some partnering to make it work. The SD Lottery has that and its a matter of connecting.

Comment

When the marching band went to the rosebowl parade the first time, they raffeled off 2 cars. If I am not mistaken that made huge money for the band. its easier to get people to go in a few bucks at a time then just soliciting money at games. Not really intended to be a major source of income, but maybe enough to help with furishings and such that sometimes get put on hold if money gets tight.

Speaking of Pukwana, on a completly seperate note, there was an article in the magazine Country that talked about an old church and history of it.

Comment

Thats not a bad thought, however it would require a change in state law and every good cause in South Dakota would want to do the same thing which would then cut down the amount of money going toward property tax reduction:

"42-7A-24. Net proceeds transferred to state property tax reduction fund--"Net proceeds" defined. Net proceeds from the sale of instant lottery tickets shall be transferred to the state general fund on an annual basis after July first each year. The commission shall maximize the net proceeds to the state from the sale of instant and on-line lottery tickets. In no event may yearly lottery expenses for the sale of lottery tickets, excluding expenditures from retained earnings, exceed the amount of combined net proceeds transferred to the state general fund, the state corrections facility construction fund, and the state capital construction fund. Net machine income from video lottery games shall be directly deposited in the state property tax reduction fund upon receipt. Net proceeds are funds in the lottery operating fund which are not needed for the payment of prizes, lottery expenses, and total retained earnings up to one and one-half million dollars cash deemed necessary by the executive director and commission for replacement, maintenance, and upgrade of business systems, product development, legal and operating contingencies of the lottery.

Beginning in fiscal year 1997 and each year thereafter, the commission shall transfer the first one million four hundred thousand dollars from the net proceeds from the sale of on-line video lottery tickets collected pursuant to § 42-7A-24 to the general fund. The commission shall then transfer an amount equal to the remaining net proceeds from the sale of on-line lottery tickets collected pursuant to § 42-7A-24 to the state capital construction fund created in § 5-27-1."

Comment

Thats not a bad thought, however it would require a change in state law and every good cause in South Dakota would want to do the same thing which would then cut down the amount of money going toward property tax reduction:

"42-7A-24. Net proceeds transferred to state property tax reduction fund--"Net proceeds" defined. Net proceeds from the sale of instant lottery tickets shall be transferred to the state general fund on an annual basis after July first each year. The commission shall maximize the net proceeds to the state from the sale of instant and on-line lottery tickets. In no event may yearly lottery expenses for the sale of lottery tickets, excluding expenditures from retained earnings, exceed the amount of combined net proceeds transferred to the state general fund, the state corrections facility construction fund, and the state capital construction fund. Net machine income from video lottery games shall be directly deposited in the state property tax reduction fund upon receipt. Net proceeds are funds in the lottery operating fund which are not needed for the payment of prizes, lottery expenses, and total retained earnings up to one and one-half million dollars cash deemed necessary by the executive director and commission for replacement, maintenance, and upgrade of business systems, product development, legal and operating contingencies of the lottery.

Beginning in fiscal year 1997 and each year thereafter, the commission shall transfer the first one million four hundred thousand dollars from the net proceeds from the sale of on-line video lottery tickets collected pursuant to § 42-7A-24 to the general fund. The commission shall then transfer an amount equal to the remaining net proceeds from the sale of on-line lottery tickets collected pursuant to § 42-7A-24 to the state capital construction fund created in § 5-27-1."

Comment

Working...
                                X