Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Stadium

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
    so, what do you consider a realistic number of seats to add to the current stadium? what is the capacity of the stadium now? what is the average attendance? i have never been there, but i'm considering going to the game next weekend. can a person walk up to the ticket window and buy a ticket? i will have about a 500 mile drive would it be worthwhile to make the drive?
    I think you would be better of buying your ticket from gojacks.com. Yes, you can walk up and buy a ticket, but understand that there are 10,000 seats in the stadium, and the average attendance is about 13,500. Beef Bowls are typically the second most attended game of the season after Hobo Day, usually more than 15,000 in attendance. There is no such thing as a sellout at Coughlin. They just keep packing them in to fill in standing room.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a reserved seat.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the current grandstand will be used while the new east side is built, then torn down to make way for a new west grandstand. So it will take a couple of years to build the thing. Realistically, I haven't heard anyone suggest that construction could begin before three to five years from now. So we're talking 7 to 10 years before a new stadium is in place. We average 13,500 now, and that average has grown by slightly less than 1,000 a year on average.

Projecting out, and taking the drawing power of a new stadium into consideration and including some room to grow, I think it would be a mistake to build a stadium with fewer than 22,000 seats. I believe that's what the consultant suggested as well.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
      I also think a lot of students do not come to the games because they are usually SOL when they get there for any sort of decent seating.
      Or any seating at all. Students have to stand if they don't arrive early because the student section is normally packed. My son is a student, I bought an extra season ticket for him because of this. His friends rarely go to games because there is so little student seating.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I think our attendance is limited because on the size of the stands. I would guess if we built up to hold 20K, the attendance would grow an extra thousand or 2. How many families do not come because its really back and trying to have kids in the stands. I would put a large berm on the south side by the score board and take the stands out after they rebuild the east stands. Create a family area where its more conducive to allow family and kids to the game. Also It allows parents to go behind the east stands to have room to let gets move around and not be packed in the stands. Really create a family friendly place.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It was good to see the article in the Argusleader. Hopefully this time around we will be able to get the Board of Regents on our side!!

Comment

Anyone know where I can find pictures of the new proposed stadium plan? I understand that there is nothing official, but there were pictures circulating with what it will potentially look like. I've looked through old threads and I haven't been able to find anything. I'm trying to show my fellow alumni some pictures.

Thanks!
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              Anyone know where I can find pictures of the new proposed stadium plan? I understand that there is nothing official, but there were pictures circulating with what it will potentially look like. I've looked through old threads and I haven't been able to find anything. I'm trying to show my fellow alumni some pictures.

Thanks!

sorry '08. couldn't resist. Lack of visualization seems to be a problem for this renovation effort.
              Last edited by NoVaJack; 12-10-2011, 03:33 PM. Reason: add script

Comment

Thanks!
                They have a couple in the media guide, page 10.

http://issuu.com/jackrabbitathletics...dia_guide_2011
                Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA View Post
                  They have a couple in the media guide, page 10.

http://issuu.com/jackrabbitathletics...dia_guide_2011
                  Go to this link for an aerial schematic:

http://www.gojacks.com/downloads2/39...B_OEM_ID=15000
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Thanks!
                    SDSU New Stadium Sketch.jpg

Here's the URL (image is much larger):

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/wp-cont...jstd600dpi.jpg
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Neat-o, that looks like a Jerry Jones sized screen on the HPC

Comment

That looks amazing. I hope we can make it a reality. I watched the UNI/Montana game the other day and definitely was impressed by the MT stadium. It would be awesome to have something even close to that in Brookings. If we average 10,000+ with a "clunker" of a stadium, imagine what we will draw with something like this.

Comment

There is no doubt that a cool venue like that would draw more fans. I'm a firm believer that when people experience the game day experience we have now, even, they're generally hooked. My favorite part of the new plan: Fans are close, just like they are in CAS.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I had seen them before, but my friends were impressed. Hopefully we can make it happen!
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Hopefully we can make it happen!
                              What does give me hope this time around is the enthusiasm that seems to leak out from AD Sells and Chicoine. They seem to have some big donors that may very well step up. Something like a new staduim would be a big asset it for the community. Also younger people like your self will help make this happen. Its a completely different time and attitude than what we saw in the late 1950's and early 1960's. Those leading the fundraising charge had to deal with more negatives than what there appears today.

I was around for Staduim for State that yielded CAS ONE HALF of the permanment seating that we are using today.

Comment

Has everyone taken the new stadium survey?

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB2...RIBER_CONTENT=
                                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Working...
                                X