• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Stadium

Totatlly agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      I would rather not remodel Coughlin at all than have a new stadium with a track around it. That's how much I feel a track impacts the fan experience in a negative way.
      At one time I was on the Alumni Council and at one of our meetings, in 1993, I believe, Dr. Fred Oien showed us a master plan drawing that include all the facilities that were planned at that time. One of details of the drawing was that Sexauer Field was to be relocated somewhere north of the staduim. I dont recall exactly where. I suspect that detail is still in the plan that has not been acted upon. With Brookings High school addition of a new track facilty, probably pushed the priority of this move further down the list. Eventually to stay competitive a major project will have to be done to replace Sexauer Field. I am sure the administration has several uses for the space that Sexauer field now occupies. To me Sexauer is kind of sacred ground since the first football at SDSU was played on that field plus it doubled as an out door track facility something we dont see any more. I watched a football and outdoor track as a youngster at State Field now known as Sexauer Field, so those memories will soon be represented by a marker, and something else will be there. There was also a time where SDSU dominated outdoor track in the NCC. We have a great coach, but without a facilty, we do have a problem.

If anyone has seen any recent drawing or if they are on the web, I would appreciate verification that such a move is still planned or if its part of the indoor facility. I lost track of what's going on at HPER. All my contacts have moved on or retired.

I am with Kemo, change is the key. It seems that every sport needs its own facility. The days of combining are nearly over. I never thought they would ever get Erv Heuther Field relocated, but that happened. We do have generous alums, and the foundation is working hard to get to them. I just got in the mail a brochure about giving your 40lk and pension benefits to the Foundation. I am sorry, but I need those fund to live off, but others might not. Also farmers were encouraged to donate some of their crop.
      These options represent tax deductions so giving is better than receiving.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 06-27-2012, 07:24 AM.

Comment

The HPF will be 'home' for SDSU's track and field teams.

Comment

HPF????

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            HPF????
            Human Performance Facility (Practice Facility, Indoor Track, Fieldhouse; many names have been used to describe it).

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              The HPF will be 'home' for SDSU's track and field teams.
              Seems like outdoor track requires more distance than indoor, or will not matter and how will they know when they are pariticpating in indoor track or outdoor track, other then going by some schedule. I assume USD runs their outdoor track inside the Dome. As much as I appreciate the need for the indoor facility or the HPF, it seems like outdoor track should be done outdoors when weather permits. Maybe I too old to get it. Seriously I do get it, look forward to the new facilty.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Seems like outdoor track requires more distance than indoor, or will not matter and how will they know when they are pariticpating in indoor track or outdoor track, other then going by some schedule. I assume USD runs their outdoor track inside the Dome. As much as I appreciate the need for the indoor facility or the HPF, it seems like outdoor track should be done outdoors when weather permits. Maybe I too old to get it. Seriously I do get it, look forward to the new facilty.
                Outdoor track meets is just that, done outdoors. I am not sure where USD practices at (Vermillion High School?). USD has held their "home" outdoor track meets in Yankton in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  Outdoor track meets is just that, done outdoors. I am not sure where USD practices at (Vermillion High School?). USD has held their "home" outdoor track meets in Yankton in recent years.
                  Color some of the Backyard gone and tailgating costs just went up, in order to accomodate outdoor track. They do have a lot of ground North of CAS so maybe it wont be a worry. One other detail that recall from Fred's presentation, was the addition of equestrian as a women's sport. I do recall also several eyes rolling and raised eyebrows among my fellow council members, but that has turned out okay. They may have some space for an out door track facility north of the equestian barn. That too would work. Lots space to develope facilities.

Comment

At one time there was a proposal to put a dedicated outdoor track at the extreme northern part of the athletic quarter--just adjacent to and south of the 14 Bypass. I think that was scrapped as the prospect of --perhaps-- hosting one meet a year was insufficient to move it higher on the priority list. I seem to recall that outdoor tracks are 400m, most indoor tracks are something 200m, but--again at one time, anyway--they were talking about a 300m track inside the Fieldhouse/HPF/bigass building. I have no idea what that means for track devotees.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It seems to me the cost of a track is around 2 million and the benefits of maybe one meet a year, the cost outweigh the benefits. The track isn't justified.

Comment

If a choice had to be made between an indoor or an outdoor track, I think there's strong consensus that the planned indoor track (300m) will do considerably more for the track and field team than an outdoor track. Ideally, we'd follow the construction of the indoor track with a nice outdoor track but if we can have only one, it should be the indoor facility.

Comment

Originally posted by poppa1 View Post
                          It seems to me the cost of a track is around 2 million and the benefits of maybe one meet a year, the cost outweigh the benefits. The track isn't justified.
                          So, we'll put you down as a "no thanks" for any campaign to raise money for an outdoor track. There will be others who will donate to an outdoor facility (but as I noted in my prior post, I think the indoor facility is the top priority for the track and field team).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            So, we'll put you down as a "no thanks" for any campaign to raise money for an outdoor track. There will be others who will donate to an outdoor facility (but as I noted in my prior post, I think the indoor facility is the top priority for the track and field team).
                            Jim Emmerich is thanking poppa1 from heaven. Seriously I hope we get both as with a great coach as DeHaven he deserves both. I would think we got the support for both in some shape or form. We should have to depend a local high school for hosting a out door track meet. Just pray for a nice spring like we just experienced.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 06-28-2012, 01:46 PM. Reason: 2

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
                              I'd rather have it just a football field, having a track around a field really hinders the gameday experience for the fans. We could have the womens soccer team play at Coughlin, but please no track. If I am not mistaken, I believe that the indoor practice facility will be a huge boost for the track and field program.
                              How does a track hinder the game day experience?
                              We...ARE...STATE!
                              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                                How does a track hinder the game day experience?
                                It provides a marching path for the Pride of Dakotas, but pushes the fans further away from the field. We must take care of the Pride you know. After all some fans come to see the Pride perform and just for the heck of it they take in the first half of the football game and head back to their toosty auto after the Pride performance.

Comment

Working...
                                X