New Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Stadium

Interesting how the person who stirred up this whole hornet's nest isn't here to say anything.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      There's a lot of **** you can know just by being on campus and being a student. I'm friends with people that have/had access to the SDSU athletics and they tell me things that can't be made public. I choose not to share these things because I have respect for my friends and the people involved. I am also friends with people that have access to some USD athletic things. It's crazy how much stuff you hear before it eventually get's reported by the media.

All of that being said, there is a lot of crap that isn't true, which is why you can't believe everything. But if I know someone that is directly involved with the sport/team and I trust them, then I completely believe the stuff I hear. Some of it get's reported and some doesn't.

And if anyone wants to interpret the above as an anti-Terry Vandrovec rant or some ****, [profane expression that is not appropriate, probably]. He's a great reporter; I'm just sharing my experience with campus rumors, gossip and information.

Edit: I just read the title of this thread. Huh?
      I'm sure anyone with connections to college athetics could say the same (except glorious Duke basketball, or course - eyeroll). There is a big difference between believing things you hear from friends and expecting a reporter to find and report that same information. That's what coffee shops and forums are for.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Can we get back to the new stadium?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Can we get back to the new stadium?
          I spoke with someone in the Athletic Department on Wednesday afternoon. He said they are waiting on a couple of issues with the major donors (yes pleural) and once the legalities are worked out an announcement will be made. My understanding is that announcement and the donations will be primarily for the indoor practice facility/human performance center and not the stadium. My understanding is that the stadium funds are included in the "It Starts with State" campaign funds which is around $183 million of the $200 million goal. So, you'll see the fieldhouse breaking ground well before any stadium upgrades are undertaken.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I spoke with someone in the Athletic Department on Wednesday afternoon. He said they are waiting on a couple of issues with the major donors (yes pleural) and once the legalities are worked out an announcement will be made. My understanding is that announcement and the donations will be primarily for the indoor practice facility/human performance center and not the stadium. My understanding is that the stadium funds are included in the "It Starts with State" campaign funds which is around $183 million of the $200 million goal. So, you'll see the fieldhouse breaking ground well before any stadium upgrades are undertaken.
            My feeling is once the field house gets built that could help open pockets for the stadium. I wonder which comes first. Like a chicken or the egg. Does new sadium first or a field house first help lead to more sucsess and money for the next project. Not implying anyhting other then its a balancing act for sure when you have limited resoureces. Can't wait till field house and stadium get built.

My guess once the stadium gets built season ticket numbers will jump up substantialy. Also due to the ability to hold larger crowds fans who stayed away from a lot of games from how pakced it is might be more inclined to show more.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              That makes sense, since the field house and the staduim are two different projects, mutally exclusive.

Thats good news. I have an acorn endowment for capital improvements, which could include the staduim. It would be interesting to find out how much of the "It starts with State" campaign gifts have been designated for staduim. There could be a number of small gifts. If one feels strongly about the new staduim I suspect you could designate your gift towards that goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                That makes sense, since the field house and the staduim are two different projects, mutally exclusive.

Thats good news. I have an acorn endowment for capital improvements, which could include the staduim. It would be interesting to find out how much of the "It starts with State" campaign gifts have been designated for staduim. There could be a number of small gifts. If one feels strongly about the new staduim I suspect you could designate your gift towards that goal.
                Not exactly mutually exclusive . . . if A. Richguy Deeppockets swooped down and dropped $100M or so on SDSU for athletic facilities, my guess is that you'd see both projects firing up P.D.Q. Since this is not likely, then they get prioritized, and the fieldhouse is a higher priority than the stadium.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Any estimates on the cost of a new stadium?
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Not exactly mutually exclusive . . . if A. Richguy Deeppockets swooped down and dropped $100M or so on SDSU for athletic facilities, my guess is that you'd see both projects firing up P.D.Q. Since this is not likely, then they get prioritized, and the fieldhouse is a higher priority than the stadium.
                    Depends on how you look at it. The staduim will benefit one sport, whereas the fieldhouse will benefit several sports including football for a practice facility, and if I am reading between lines correctly the fund raising is nearly complete for the field house whereas the staduim is pie in the sky at this point in time. I do agree with the PDQ comment if Richguy Deeppockets exists and is willing to shed 100m. I beginning to wonder after this big drive if these guys are nearly tapped out from other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      Any estimates on the cost of a new stadium?
                      At least 100 M which would equal Richguy Deeppockets mere donation of 100M.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Depends on how you look at it. The staduim will benefit one sport, whereas the fieldhouse will benefit several sports including football for a practice facility, and if I am reading between lines correctly the fund raising is nearly complete for the field house whereas the staduim is pie in the sky at this point in time. I do agree with the PDQ comment if Richguy Deeppockets exists and is willing to shed 100m. I beginning to wonder after this big drive if these guys are nearly tapped out from other projects.
                        Why are we (SDSU) so set on this stadium being created for football only? After reading all the Gender Equity articles written in the Argus Leader, it would seem logical and financially responsible to add a track to the stadium. It would then benefit men's and women's track, and football. I have some conversations with some USD track athletes that would not even consider SDSU because of the lack of track facilities. I have also had some conversations with some of the SDSU track athletes and seem very frustrated that track is not a priority. They do not consider the BHS track “their home”. To the administration, the BHS track is a solution, but is it really?
                        I am sure some football backers cannot stomach this and will say a track around a stadium is “high school”. But a state of the art facility with all the bells and whistles can still give the “WOW” factor everyone is hoping for.
                        I do not think track around the field would be a deterrent for recruiting football. As a matter of fact I think it helps with the “speed” guys that might also want to run track for SDSU while playing football. Plus the facility would be a HUGE benefit to track recruiting and let us be on equal footing with NDSU and USD for track.
                        Maybe Mr. and/ or Mrs. Deep pockets ran track and would help create the stadium for football and track.
                        We...ARE...STATE!
                        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                          Why are we (SDSU) so set on this stadium being created for football only? After reading all the Gender Equity articles written in the Argus Leader, it would seem logical and financially responsible to add a track to the stadium. It would then benefit men's and women's track, and football. I have some conversations with some USD track athletes that would not even consider SDSU because of the lack of track facilities. I have also had some conversations with some of the SDSU track athletes and seem very frustrated that track is not a priority. They do not consider the BHS track “their home”. To the administration, the BHS track is a solution, but is it really?
                          I am sure some football backers cannot stomach this and will say a track around a stadium is “high school”. But a state of the art facility with all the bells and whistles can still give the “WOW” factor everyone is hoping for.
                          I do not think track around the field would be a deterrent for recruiting football. As a matter of fact I think it helps with the “speed” guys that might also want to run track for SDSU while playing football. Plus the facility would be a HUGE benefit to track recruiting and let us be on equal footing with NDSU and USD for track.
                          Maybe Mr. and/ or Mrs. Deep pockets ran track and would help create the stadium for football and track.
                          I'd rather have it just a football field, having a track around a field really hinders the gameday experience for the fans. We could have the womens soccer team play at Coughlin, but please no track. If I am not mistaken, I believe that the indoor practice facility will be a huge boost for the track and field program.

Comment

If there are Jacks backers running around who have NOT heard of the Indoor Practice and Human Performance Facility (i.e. the "Fieldhouse") then both the Athletic Department and Foundation have a LOT of work to do.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I disagree, but that's just my opinion. Track is great, but it's not going to bring on the fan base like SDSU football does or potentially will. SDSU has a ton of projects that need to be done and track just isn't a major concern and probably won't be anytime soon unless a major donor steps up.

I'd rather see SDSU dump money into a basketball practice facility once the football stadium is built.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I would rather not remodel Coughlin at all than have a new stadium with a track around it. That's how much I feel a track impacts the fan experience in a negative way.
                                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X