SDSU at Delaware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU at Delaware

Weather forecast looks good for Saturday - mostly sunny, high of 79, 10% chance of precipitation.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
      What I would like to know is if UD fans think Devlin is as good as or better than Flacco.

Are they completely different types of QB's?

Can they even be compared?
      Flacco better pocket passer. Devlin has quicker feet. Delaware, who's history with QBs is probably second to none at this level, might never see another QB with an arm as strong as Flacco's. If I was building a team I'd probably choose Devlin though. His arm is plenty strong, he's got great footwork, relentlessly studies tape, and to be honest I think might be a bit more of a leader in the locker room. Plus Devlin has graduated already. I think Flacco graduated later.

They aren't completely different qb's. Statistically they had almost identical Junior years. I just hope Devlin puts up number and a record like Flacco did during his Sr year. Personality wise, they're both quite similar. Students of the game. Unassuming personalities. Happy both decided to become Blue Hens.

Comment

Hen Fans:
        Not intended as smack at all, but just a question:
        Who was your last non-FBS-transfer starting quarterback? It definitely seems to be working for you considering Devlin and Flacco(one of my favorite NFL QB's by the way).

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by UD1Hens View Post
          Newest Delaware News Journal articles regarding the game as well as soon praise for SDSU:
          http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...y-for-playoffs
          "They're big and physical," Keeler said, "well-coached, want to come after you, run the ball downhill at you, play defense. ... They really fly around.
          "It's going to be a big challenge," said Delaware senior cornerback and captain Tyrone Grant. "They're tough guys. You can see it come out on the film. They're pretty big on paper also."
          Good insight from your side, thanks. What this means is we need to run the football on you to have a chance of winning. How is your front seven?

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
            Hen Fans:
            Not intended as smack at all, but just a question:
            Who was your last non-FBS-transfer starting quarterback? It definitely seems to be working for you considering Devlin and Flacco(one of my favorite NFL QB's by the way).

Go Jacks!!
            Lou Ritacco in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              Good insight from your side, thanks. What this means is we need to run the football on you to have a chance of winning. How is your front seven?
              The DL is questionable, but the LBs are pretty solid. The strength of the defense is definately the DBs who are experienced and athletic.

Comment

Originally posted by HardCoreHen View Post
                The DL is questionable, but the LBs are pretty solid. The strength of the defense is definately the DBs who are experienced and athletic.

Looks like these are two classically opposite teams in many respects...

Comment

The LBs are pretty good. LB #11 is a fourth year captain due to injuries and will line up at end in 3rd and passing situations (All-American in 2007 as a D-End). The front 4 are fairly unknown/questionable. Overall they won't get much pressure on your QB with just the front 4. They are pretty solid vs. the run but that may have to just as much to do with the LBs making plays. Our secondary is the strong point of our D even with our line's inability to generate much pressure.

As for transfer QBs...Ritacco was a non-transfer starter in 2008 after an injury to our QB, however he transferred out once Devlin was coming here. They apparently won't need to go transfer next year because they have two guys they are high on.

Sidenote: Good football convo and thanks for the insight. A few posts back someone may have been offended by the "relatively unknown" term to describe SDSU Football in the eyes of UD fans. I think it may have to do more with you bursting onto the scene last year but due to you only being an FCS member for 6? years you aren't a household name...Yet. Don't take our questions about your team as smack. SDSU has a solid program that will be a force for years to come. UD has a proud history with a title in 03 and runner up in 07...so it's not like we are living in the past of 1985, haha. We just need consistancy, going to the title, then missing the playoffs for two years is unacceptable at UD.

Comment

In many ways, I think SDSU would like to mirror UD in the terms of success. Longterm consistantly ranked and missing the playoffs should be considered a down year, not the standard. SDSU fans have for years felt the potential is there, now that we have had better results practically every year going D-1, I feel we not only belong at the top, but will prove we do. We do not have the track record to show for yet, but making the playoffs last year and being ranked high to start the year, we feel will be the norm, not just a flash in the pan.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The LBs are pretty good. LB #11 is a fourth year captain due to injuries and will line up at end in 3rd and passing situations (All-American in 2007 as a D-End). The front 4 are fairly unknown/questionable. Overall they won't get much pressure on your QB with just the front 4. They are pretty solid vs. the run but that may have to just as much to do with the LBs making plays. Our secondary is the strong point of our D even with our line's inability to generate much pressure.

As for transfer QBs...Ritacco was a non-transfer starter in 2008 after an injury to our QB, however he transferred out once Devlin was coming here. They apparently won't need to go transfer next year because they have two guys they are high on.

Sidenote: Good football convo and thanks for the insight. A few posts back someone may have been offended by the "relatively unknown" term to describe SDSU Football in the eyes of UD fans. I think it may have to do more with you bursting onto the scene last year but due to you only being an FCS member for 6? years you aren't a household name...Yet. Don't take our questions about your team as smack. SDSU has a solid program that will be a force for years to come. UD has a proud history with a title in 03 and runner up in 07...so it's not like we are living in the past of 1985, haha. We just need consistancy, going to the title, then missing the playoffs for two years is unacceptable at UD.

Good post, esp. liked reference to '85! Reps coming your way...

Comment

Good post, esp. liked reference to '85! Reps coming your way...
                        Haha, in actuality I don't even think the Hens were good in '85 but ya get the point.

Comment

From Yesterday's KELO broadcast

http://www.keloland.com/videoarchive...ile=090610sdsu

Comment

Originally posted by HardCoreHen View Post
                            Devlin's arm strength is not as impressive as Flacco's, but that's not really a knock, as most NFL QBs don't have an arm like Joe Flacco. Both are drop back pro style QB's, but Devlin can and will take off on designed running plays, while Flacco was never a much of a running threat in the UD offense. Flacco made a big jump in productivity in his 2d season with UD after transferring from Pitt, UD fans hope Devlin will do the same as this is his 2d year with the Hens. Devlin does have a very good group of receivers and the key to controlling the Hen's passing game will probably be pressure on the QB. No pressure will likely equate to a tough day for the SDSU defense.

As for as good or better than Flacco, Devlin may have the potential this year to be as good a 'college' QB as Flacco, but I doubt that his NFL prospects are as bright.
                            I agree with most of the above although I do think Flacco's mobility is underrated. Flacco has good straight ahead speed for a QB. Flacco also has had some ankle problems both as a Hen and Raven that slowed him down some and hindered his effectiveness and kept the coaches from calling is number as a runner.

Prior to Devlin UD has had 4 QB's start as QB's in the pros. Of the four I would rank them in the following order. Rich Gannon, Joe Flacco, Scott Brunner (New York Giants), Jeff Komlo (Detroit Lions). Flacco and Brunner had the best arms. Gannon had a great arm and Defensive Back Speed. He was drafted to play as a Defensive Back in the pros. I thought he could have played wideout and he was an excellent punter although he only did this when the other punter was hurt. Although right handed Gannon punted with his left foot.

I think Devlin can break into the top 4 or 5. It really depends on this year. He would be joining some very exclusive company.

Comment

Haha, in actuality I don't even think the Hens were good in '85 but ya get the point.
                              You have to understand, a certain rival of ours up North spends a lot of time reliving Division II glories of '85 and a couple of other years .. Some fierce Karma if you just pulled that year out of the air...

Comment

Originally posted by blukeys View Post
                                I agree with most of the above although I do think Flacco's mobility is underrated. Flacco has good straight ahead speed for a QB. Flacco also has had some ankle problems both as a Hen and Raven that slowed him down some and hindered his effectiveness and kept the coaches from calling is number as a runner.

Prior to Devlin UD has had 4 QB's start as QB's in the pros. Of the four I would rank them in the following order. Rich Gannon, Joe Flacco, Scott Brunner (New York Giants), Jeff Komlo (Detroit Lions). Flacco and Brunner had the best arms. Gannon had a great arm and Defensive Back Speed. He was drafted to play as a Defensive Back in the pros. I thought he could have played wideout and he was an excellent punter although he only did this when the other punter was hurt. Although right handed Gannon punted with his left foot.

I think Devlin can break into the top 4 or 5. It really depends on this year. He would be joining some very exclusive company.
                                Where do you find all those good QB's? I guess its helpful to be within miles of several major population centers such as Philadelphia, NYC and others.

Comment

Working...
                                X