Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-17 Road to Sioux Falls SLT

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    We may not win the tournament but I think we could/should be the odds on favorite(unless our depth kills us).
    I don't see where "because if the tourney was at a truly neutral site or at a place closer to another team, I wouldn't give us much of a chance based off how we've been on the road in conference play".
    We lost to USD by 3 points on the road and we beat them by 12 points at home.
    We lost to Omaha by 1 point on the road and we beat them by 12 points at home.
    We lost to IUPUI by 5 points on the road and we beat them by 19 points at home.
    We lost to Western Illinois by 6 points on the road and we beat them by 15 points at home.
    If you split any of those scores right down the middle, we win by between 5 and 7 points at a neutral site.

It sure makes things more interesting without have a healthy "preseason conference player of the year" on the team.
    And let's look at our wins:

Win at NDSU (RPI 282) by 3.
    Win at Denver (RPI 263) by 9.
    Win at ORU (RPI 117) by 21.
    Win at IPFW (RPI 302) by 17.

So really outside of the ORU win, it isn't like we went on the road and dominated strong teams. The only wins on the road were against the 4 worst teams in the conference, three of which are amongst the worst teams in the country. But it is true that on a neutral court we would probably still hold an advantage over the other teams. I certainly like out chances in the Denny Frost Arena...

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
      And let's look at our wins:

Win at NDSU (RPI 282) by 3.
      Win at Denver (RPI 263) by 9.
      Win at ORU (RPI 117) by 21.
      Win at IPFW (RPI 302) by 17.

So really outside of the ORU win, it isn't like we went on the road and dominated strong teams. The only wins on the road were against the 4 worst teams in the conference, three of which are amongst the worst teams in the country. But it is true that on a neutral court we would probably still hold an advantage over the other teams. I certainly like out chances in the Denny Frost Arena...
      I kinda like Defrost Arena

Comment

What are everyones thoughts on the 2 yr ticket plan? There is a lot of whining going on about it and how unfair it is for UND when they join? How many fans are going to travel down from Grand Forks when the hockey season is still going on? Even the Bison fans dont really bring a big crowd unless they are in the finals. The people whining didnt buy the 2 year last time so they are being left out this time. So they think it should start all over to be fair to UND. UND isnt going be a difference maker in ticket sales. There are plenty of seats in the upper deck. I actually heard the seats up there arent bad but if you dont like heights, you might not wanna go up there.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
          What are everyones thoughts on the 2 yr ticket plan? There is a lot of whining going on about it and how unfair it is for UND when they join? How many fans are going to travel down from Grand Forks when the hockey season is still going on? Even the Bison fans dont really bring a big crowd unless they are in the finals. The people whining didnt buy the 2 year last time so they are being left out this time. So they think it should start all over to be fair to UND. UND isnt going be a difference maker in ticket sales. There are plenty of seats in the upper deck. I actually heard the seats up there arent bad but if you dont like heights, you might not wanna go up there.
          So this is what happened last year:

Records Set at the 2016 Summit League Tournament
          • Men’s Quarterfinal Session I (10,306)
          • Women’s Quarterfinal Session I (9,816)
          • Men’s Quarterfinal Round (16,738)
          • Men’s Championship Session/Round (10,188)
          • Women’s Quarterfinal Round (12,988)
          • Women’s Semifinal/Round (7,237)
          • Women’s Championship Session/Round (8,647)
          • Men’s Total Tournament (36,661)
          • Women’s Total Tournament (28,872)
          • Combined Men’s/Women’s Total Tournament (65,533)

So I'm sure Douple is interested in hearing how to fix a broken system that only keeps shattering attendance records every year. I would love to hear how those conversations with people go. I think he will try to listen and act sympathetic, and then continue with the same system because he knows us SDSU fans will continue to come to the games and fill the place.

Comment

I agree about UND/NDSU example. We see the same thing with NDSU every year. They show up for the finals - that's it. How will UND be different? It's not like they are killing it with attendance at home.

A few USD fans are upset because this event is only on their fanbase's radar for about 7 days a year. The ticket system has been set up to benefit those that are more engaged and willing to make a commitment. Attendance records have been falling every year. Mission accomplished.

Comment

UND fans whining....give me a break. Talk to your school's administration on why you didn't into the Summit League when USD did and you'll get your answer. And you are right....UND won't bring a large amount of fans to consider something as dumb as starting all over. I'm paid up for the next 3 years and I was very appreciative that the SF Sports Authority allowed us to renew our seats for 2018 & 2019. Good luck trying to convince me or anyone else in that situation that we are going to give up our seats and "reset" things.

It's 5:30 - time to start liver training for next weekend! Cheers!

Comment

So I'm sure Douple is interested in hearing how to fix a broken system that only keeps shattering attendance records every year. I would love to hear how those conversations with people go. I think he will try to listen and act sympathetic, and then continue with the same system because he knows us SDSU fans will continue to come to the games and fill the place.
                I remember looking last year and can't remember specifics but the total combined attendance for the women's tourney was one of the highest in the nation include P5 conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  UND fans whining....give me a break. Talk to your school's administration on why you didn't into the Summit League when USD did and you'll get your answer. And you are right....UND won't bring a large amount of fans to consider something as dumb as starting all over. I'm paid up for the next 3 years and I was very appreciative that the SF Sports Authority allowed us to renew our seats for 2018 & 2019. Good luck trying to convince me or anyone else in that situation that we are going to give up our seats and "reset" things.

It's 5:30 - time to start liver training for next weekend! Cheers!
                  No, its not UND fans whining. USD fans think it should start all over when UND comes into the conference. USD bought a section for the 2 year plan and sells them to their fans. Thats all they have. Ive been going since it started in SF and i feel i deserve first chance at tickets, as does many other SDSU fans. We have made this tourney, nobody else has.

Comment

I think both sides of the tournament are about as wide open as they have ever been. There is no hands-down favorite on either the men's or the women's side.

On the men's side, by conference record, USD and NDSU have to be considered co-favorites. NDSU has not looked unbeatable of late, so USD might have a slight edge in the SLT due to better early-round support. But when 2/3 (conservatively) of the tournament tickets are in the hands of SDSU fans, the USD home-court advantage is somewhat diluted by those SDSU fans who are never-USD'ers. HOWEVER, I suspect that nowadays, there might actually be more SDSU fans who are never-NDSU'ers than never-USD'ers. (note: I tend to be a never-NDSU'er nowadays. Enough already!)

We live in strange days, if you've been around since the NCC days like myself. SDSU will be as always at least dangerous in the tournament on the men's side (as ORU found out when SDSU was at a particularly low ebb), and at worst, given the overwhelming crowd support, SDSU is a tough out in the SLT (witness the miraculous comebacks last year). Ft. Wayne and IUPUI might possibly put three superior games together to win the thing, but I wouldn't put cash money on it. I'm not sure what to think about Denver. Any way you look at it, it's as wide open as it's been in quite a while . . . there's no obvious, definitive favorite going in to the tournament on the men's side.

SDSU has to be considered the favorite on the women's side, but not by anything like what we've seen in previous years. Yes, SDSU has won 7 of the 8 SLT championships the Jacks have been eligible for, and SDSU will come in no worse than in second place in the league. The difference this year is that instead of only one team truly capable of contending with SDSU in the Summit League, there are three others who are legitimate contenders: WIU, USD, IUPUI. The top of the Summit League has gotten significantly stronger in women's basketball - - - that's nothing but good for the future.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

But but but it is not fair that you supported this tournament since it has been in Sioux Falls and we cannot walk up to the box office and get single session tickets for half price at center court! How come I should play by the same rules that you did to obtain those tickets?
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The Sports Authority says they don't know yet how ticketing will be handled after UND is eligible for the tourney. The Premier Center, Sports Authority and the conference seem to have plenty of prime seats reserved for teams and dignitaries - the first 8 or 10 rows on both sides of the center. So there's probably enough to give UND a decent cut. And who knows? Another team might drop out of the conference in a year or two. I've had passes for the entire SL tournament since it first came to the Sioux Falls Arena. Getting good seats gets a little tougher every year. Depending on how matchups play out, this might be the year that attendance records don't fall.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          The Sports Authority says they don't know yet how ticketing will be handled after UND is eligible for the tourney. The Premier Center, Sports Authority and the conference seem to have plenty of prime seats reserved for teams and dignitaries - the first 8 or 10 rows on both sides of the center. So there's probably enough to give UND a decent cut. And who knows? Another team might drop out of the conference in a year or two. I've had passes for the entire SL tournament since it first came to the Sioux Falls Arena. Getting good seats gets a little tougher every year. Depending on how matchups play out, this might be the year that attendance records don't fall.
                          Attendance records may not be blasted, but the seats that are sold will keep this tournament healthy. That is as important as the rest of the numbers. There are a large number of repeat customers that will keep this bar open. The new guys may need to get on the waiting list/
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Not sure why anything special should be done for UND when nothing was done when USD and Omaha came aboard.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Not sure why anything special should be done for UND when nothing was done when USD and Omaha came aboard.
                              ButtHockey

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                The reality is that the people complaining and hoping for that are USeD fans who aren't happy that when they have a decent season its hard to get tickets. Basically instead of finding a way to up their support they want the League to try to undermine our support at the tourney.

Sent from my RCT6303W87M7 using Tapatalk
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X