X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JackJD
    replied
    Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

filbert and JimmyJack, turn in the names of your neighbor kids to USD's recruiters.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
    I thought it was run by lawyers. Sorry, I couldn't resist. After all, it is a smack thread.
    Haven't yet tried a case to a jury with a lawyer on it. But, sure, lawyers have a great influence on it. Some comparison could be made to medicine: I'm glad lay people aren't operating on me.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

I am laughing out loud at JimmyJack's becoming Mr. Wilson to the Dennis Mitchells next door; and, now, filbert, too!

Leave a comment:

• West-River_Jack
    replied

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    In spite of what we seem to hear or read, the legal system is functioning quite well and while not perfect, it probably functions at a higher level than all other human-run institutions.
    I thought it was run by lawyers. Sorry, I couldn't resist. After all, it is a smack thread.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Today I actually yelled at a kid to get off my lawn.

Actually, we just moved into new construction, so there's no lawn, not even any dirt. But the freakshow neighbors had their kids out riding an ATV in the backyard (little kids, 8 and less, with no helmets, of course, taking breaks only to jump on their trampoline... yes, trampoline). Every time that ATV ventured onto my clay "yard", I imagined them breaking their necks and me losing my house when THEY (or actually their bonehead parents) sue ME. So I shouted at them to get off my yard. (Maybe I should start a thread about the $1 million umbrella policy I'm going to buy Monday to protect myself against Mr. and Mrs. Freakshow and their kids.)

Anyway, I feel like I'm 43 going on 70.
    Yeah, Our neighbors have a trampoline for their kids, too. Got a mesh net around it that might hold a kid in. No sign of ATV's at the house next door, but as we all know, that could change at any moment.

But what really annoys me is the HUMONGOUS playground fortress (the one that includes the integral swingset, slide, climbing wall, etc.) that they decided to build less than ten feet from the fence between their back yard and ours--giving their annoying little rugrats a commanding view over the fence at my back yard.

I don't mind so much fishing the toys that the brats keep tossing into my pool. It's the "hey neighbor!" call from the crumb-crunchers, said in the insistent, impossible-to-ignore way that only an eight-year-old can master, which really torques me off.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Just a side comment, JimmyJack...you won't be sued or, at least won't be successfully sued, under those circumstances by the brats on the ATV. On the other hand, the $1 million umbrella coverage is an excellent idea so that you don't have to think about such things.

In spite of what we seem to hear or read, the legal system is functioning quite well and while not perfect, it probably functions at a higher level than all other human-run institutions.

Sounds like a stout fence may be in order.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyJack
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Growl grumble mumble darn fool kids and their loud rock music mutter grumble growl.
    Today I actually yelled at a kid to get off my lawn.

Actually, we just moved into new construction, so there's no lawn, not even any dirt. But the freakshow neighbors had their kids out riding an ATV in the backyard (little kids, 8 and less, with no helmets, of course, taking breaks only to jump on their trampoline... yes, trampoline). Every time that ATV ventured onto my clay "yard", I imagined them breaking their necks and me losing my house when THEY (or actually their bonehead parents) sue ME. So I shouted at them to get off my yard. (Maybe I should start a thread about the $1 million umbrella policy I'm going to buy Monday to protect myself against Mr. and Mrs. Freakshow and their kids.)

Anyway, I feel like I'm 43 going on 70.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
    Oh how soon you all forget, how soon you forget. Just a few short months ago Ed put together one of the toughest schedules in all of D2 football so assuming that USD is looking for an easy schedule in 2008 is simply misinformed. I am not happy with the schedule but I would venture to guess that USD's 2009 schedule will be at least as good and probably better than the one SDSU had in their second year of transition.

I wouldn't mind if the 2008 season was kind of used as a sacraficial lamb. The program is kind of on a downtrend over the past year so I don't really expect alot of success in 2008 anyway. Get those road games out of the way right away and look to the future.
    Growl grumble mumble darn fool kids and their loud rock music mutter grumble growl.

Leave a comment:

• jackrabit1
    replied

That's why I do my posting using Firefox instead of IE.. built in spell check!

Leave a comment:

• SturgisJeff
    replied

Hmmm. Why does no one want to go play in the dump at Verminville? Lack of motel space? Having to go through Sewer City, Ia to get there? The Yote fans? I can see not wanting to go to Brookings. They will get their butts kicked.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyJack
    replied

(To JimmyJack: No offense to you, sir or your students. It IS a smack thread, after all.)
    None taken. I'm offended by bad journalism, too.

Leave a comment:

• Jack4Life
    replied

I'm trying to figure out if the word "concurred" was a typo (did the reporter intend "conquered"?) or if there's some subtle meaning in using "concurred" which means "to be of the same opinion, to act together, cooperate, etc.. Here's the start of the article:

It's something University of South Dakota football head coach Ed Meierkort's been struggling with for a few months now.
    Some days, he'd think he had it concurred. Then a change took place and it was back to the drawing board for more work.

Maybe it means Coach Meierkort was talking to himself and finally got himself to agree the schedule was okay.
    That spell-check is a great thing only if you use a word that is spelled almost the way it should be spelled.

One more point, I agree w/ MD that I don't think Yankton is in any great danger of losing our sports writer to bigger and better things. Sometimes stating the obvious is a pretty safe way to go...

Leave a comment:

• Coyote_Fan
    replied

Oh how soon you all forget, how soon you forget. Just a few short months ago Ed put together one of the toughest schedules in all of D2 football so assuming that USD is looking for an easy schedule in 2008 is simply misinformed. I am not happy with the schedule but I would venture to guess that USD's 2009 schedule will be at least as good and probably better than the one SDSU had in their second year of transition.

I wouldn't mind if the 2008 season was kind of used as a sacraficial lamb. The program is kind of on a downtrend over the past year so I don't really expect alot of success in 2008 anyway. Get those road games out of the way right away and look to the future.

Leave a comment:

• 1stRowFANatic
    replied

Heh? What's that Sonny? ... I wouldn't need a hearing aid if you quit mumbling!

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

filbert's a curmudgeon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X