No announcement yet.

2013 Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013 Recruiting (Kerri Young relatives)

I think SDSU has been on the verge of being a very "elite" program for quit a while now.All it's going to take to get them there is that first super star to lead them into national prominence, as media hounds love to put ink on paper about gifted athletes.We can already play & win against most teams already.Just my insight from looking thru the blue & yellow colored glasses.Anyway, we get players who compete hard against very tough competition ,& we alway's seem to have a winning record,as well as a winning tradition.....that's a very good "carrot" to dangle in front of future recruits......pun intended.

Comment

Kerri Young - Possible 2013 Recruit

Moving the serious discussion of this budding athlete here from smack.

Comment

Originally posted by mj4046 View Post
        The problem is is that she will be getting offers from the top half of all of those confrences you mentioned. I know SDSU is a great women's basketball school, but it would be tough for any girl to turn down offers from some of the very elite programs in the nation in favor of a good mid major.
        You're right. But you just never know, do you. Choosing a university is a personal decision and many factors outside of basketball go into it. What's important is that she and her family take the time to figure it out and pick the right situation for her.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          I think SDSU has been on the verge of being a very "elite" program for quit a while now.All it's going to take to get them there is that first super star to lead them into national prominence, as media hounds love to put ink on paper about gifted athletes.We can already play & win against most teams already.Just my insight from looking thru the blue & yellow colored glasses.Anyway, we get players who compete hard against very tough competition ,& we alway's seem to have a winning record,as well as a winning tradition.....that's a very good "carrot" to dangle in front of future recruits......pun intended.
          I cannot agree with this thought more. We all know that the Jacks have been a very good program since the move to DI. But, as we have all seen, there is still a lot of room for this team and program to improve. If this team can continue to make runs into the Big Dance, perhaps we will see those blue chippers head our way.

I do have one question. How far out will the coaching staff expand their recruiting to? Granted there are many talented girls in the area, but will the program need to start looking in other areas for a certain type of player to make that move to the next level?
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            I cannot agree with this thought more. We all know that the Jacks have been a very good program since the move to DI. But, as we have all seen, there is still a lot of room for this team and program to improve. If this team can continue to make runs into the Big Dance, perhaps we will see those blue chippers head our way.

I do have one question. How far out will the coaching staff expand their recruiting to? Granted there are many talented girls in the area, but will the program need to start looking in other areas for a certain type of player to make that move to the next level?
            Not too far if any. As was mentioned many times last year, we were last second basket away from making the sweet 16 with our entire roster being within 500 miles of Brookings. We just need to try to keep improving the quality of girls already in this part of the country as there are plenty of them here.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              Not too far if any. As was mentioned many times last year, we were last second basket away from making the sweet 16 with our entire roster being within 500 miles of Brookings. We just need to try to keep improving the quality of girls already in this part of the country as there are plenty of them here.
              I think I agree, but one position might need a little expanding out every once in awhile, that's a tall post.There's just not that many to limit yourself to one small geoghaphical region Although there's one, Lathrop-Barnes, a 6' 6th grader at Kennedy (MN) ,don't know what she'll project out at for height (SP?) ,but she's still got years to grow yet.ORU has a 6'5" recruit ,when they get that tall , it puts our 6' 2" post at a little bit of a disadvantage, although, if they aren't very mobile, i think J. Sunnarborg would take her to school.I think a tall post might be good for some styles of play,but i'd take two 6' 2" to 6'3" power forwards who are quick & agile , slashing type, penetrating,forwards who can out manuever a tall , static ,statuesque(SP?) post.Boever and Warkenthien ,types,except a little bit taller.Too bad that basketball is all about height,except at the pg position.
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 05-12-2010, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I think a tall post might be good for some styles of play,but i'd take two 6' 2" to 6'3" power forwards who are quick & agile , slashing type, penetrating,forwards who can out manuever a tall ,statuesque(SP?) post.Boever and Warkenthien ,types.
                Sunnaborg, Dietel, Schuttloffel, Lingle, Strop, Clarin (coming soon)
                They aren't 6-3, but they fit what we do.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                  Sunnaborg, Dietel, Schuttloffel, Lingle, Strop, Clarin (coming soon)
                  They aren't 6-3, but they fit what we do.
                  Don't forget Rachel Walters, and she comes in the same fall as Clarin and I think will be at or near the same level as a player.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    Don't forget Rachel Walters, and she comes in the same fall as Clarin and I think will be at or near the same level as a player.
                    We'll also have Waytashek next year,we've got lots of weapons to throw at people next few years,we don't rebuild,we just re-load.

Comment

Re: 2013 Recruiting

I see according to the roster of the womens team,that Lingle is the only player listed as a center.Sunnarborg is listed as a forward.Don't know if it makes a whole lot of difference,but that's the way it's on the roster.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 05-13-2010, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't be worried about the scoring aspect. These girls will score points. I'm more interested to see if these girls can play defense. Can they guard the quick, athletic point guard or the dominate post player?

We'll probably continue to see zone defense with teams like Oklahoma until we can get these players. But lets be honest, these more athletic players are the difference between where we are now and being a top 25 team.

AJ knows what he's doing and I'm happy with the girls we have. They are great kids and exceptional STUDENT-athletes.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I see according to the roster of the womens team,that Lingle is the only player listed as a center.Sunnarborg is listed as a forward.Don't know if it makes a whole lot of difference,but that's the way it's on the roster.
                          I could see Lingle being a force next year if she improves her footwork. She lost her balance and traveled a little too much last year, but I believe if she can keep a good base under herself that she could be a very valuable asset to the team next year.
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Another name to throw out there: Jolanna Sazue. 5'8" freshman guard, scored 31 points per game this past season. I got the scoop, she's a solid 3.0+ student and finished second in scoring for Stanley County as an 8th grader, behind Sam Ostarello. Some clips at 1:50 and a nice dish at 2:35: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHhJPaxmFH8.

Comment

Every time I get a clip to read about Kerri Young, there's Kristin Sabers name also.They're both freshmen at Mitchell.Makes me think of another duo, our rival in women's basketball ,ORU.Young is averaging a team-high 14.3 points and 7.6 rebounds per game this year, while Sabers is second with 11.7 points and 5.4 rebounds.Here's what an opposing coach has to say.

"They're both going to be special," Watertown coach Pat McClemans said. "They're good kids and probably more importantly, they understand the game."

Comment

Every time I get a clip to read about Kerri Young, there's Kristin Sabers name also.They're both freshmen at Mitchell.Makes me think of another duo, our rival in women's basketball ,ORU.Young is averaging a team-high 14.3 points and 7.6 rebounds per game this year, while Sabers is second with 11.7 points and 5.4 rebounds.Here's what an opposing coach has to say.

"They're both going to be special," Watertown coach Pat McClemans said. "They're good kids and probably more importantly, they understand the game."
                                IMO Young is much better, but who knows what will happen in a couple of years
                                Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                                Muhammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X