2013 Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Recruiting

I couldn't help but notice that Kerri Young, was named second team all-state for Class "AA" this past year, as a freshman. She has helped bring Mitchell back to "respectable" status instead of the door mat they have been since the Hoffman twins graduated. Given her last name and location, I can't help but think she is related to Jill, a current Jackrabbit.

I found out that in the history of "AA" all-state, only two freshman have been named all-state: Megan Mahoney and Jenna Hoffman. Future Jackrabbit? I think/hope so!

*Listed as a 5'11" Forward

Re: 2013 Recruiting

Kerri is a really good player, with a very bright future! However, I have been told she is not related to Jill.

Comment

Mike, Do you know if she is the younger sister of current Jackrabbit baseball player Brett Young?

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
        Mike, Do you know if she is the younger sister of current Jackrabbit baseball player Brett Young?
        I don't, but that would make great sense. I know there are Mitchell folks on this board that could answer that.

Comment

Re: 2013 Recruiting (Kerri Young relatives)

My apologies to Kerri Young and her family for playing games with her last name. Sometimes these little games go to far as this one did.

We hope we see her in a SDSU uniform someday. She appears to have that kind of talent.

Comment

I've heard from a very very reputable source that Kerri has already been offered a scholarship. Doubt she'll take it, she'll be able to go about anywhere she wants when all is said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by mj4046 View Post
              I've heard from a very very reputable source that Kerri has already been offered a scholarship. Doubt she'll take it, she'll be able to go about anywhere she wants when all is said and done.
              Going anywhere you want is great for a young person, but playing for SDSU isn't a shabby option. Two years of NCAA tourney eligibility, two years to the tourney. Being able to play for the Jacks ranks right up with "playing anywhere you want." I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I agree, SDSU is a great option, but I would be somewhat surprised/pleased if she took the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  Going anywhere you want is great for a young person, but playing for SDSU isn't a shabby option. Two years of NCAA tourney eligibility, two years to the tourney. Being able to play for the Jacks ranks right up with "playing anywhere you want." I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
                  Jacks have 4 straight years of post season play, 2 Summit League titles (and won the conference tourney in the "off" year. AJ puts together a GREAT OOC, so that Jacks are ready for the conference battles. SDSU is in the top 50 for game attendences, so the players KNOW they are valued. AJ has one of the best winning % of any coach, and he loves to win with regional talent. I'd say that a player's chance of playing beyond the conference tourney is higher here than if at a lower BCS school. SDSU is getting to be a #1 choice over the likes of MoValley, Horizon, lower 1/2 of Big East, Big 10, Big 12, or SEC.

But only winners get selected to play at SDSU. Academically, physically, and mentally, need to be ready to play at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                    Jacks have 4 straight years of post season play, 2 Summit League titles (and won the conference tourney in the "off" year. AJ puts together a GREAT OOC, so that Jacks are ready for the conference battles. SDSU is in the top 50 for game attendences, so the players KNOW they are valued. AJ has one of the best winning % of any coach, and he loves to win with regional talent. I'd say that a player's chance of playing beyond the conference tourney is higher here than if at a lower BCS school. SDSU is getting to be a #1 choice over the likes of MoValley, Horizon, lower 1/2 of Big East, Big 10, Big 12, or SEC.

But only winners get selected to play at SDSU. Academically, physically, and mentally, need to be ready to play at SDSU.
                    The problem is is that she will be getting offers from the top half of all of those confrences you mentioned. I know SDSU is a great women's basketball school, but it would be tough for any girl to turn down offers from some of the very elite programs in the nation in favor of a good mid major. Just the fact that this girl has already been offered a scholarship by a good division one school (SDSU) shows you how good she is. We'd be getting a steal if we could keep her. I'm not kidding anybody when I say when all is said and done she could go anywhere she wants. It's looking like she may be the female equivlent of Mike Miller. She's 5'11", and plays like a guard...if Kerri decides to go play at SDSU, I feel it would cement the Jacks as a dominant girls basketball program and they's be the Gonzaga of women's basketball for awhil if that makes sense, and I hope that happens. But knowing what I know about Kerri, I just really do not see her playing for the Jacks. I hope my instincts are wrong, but I just don't see this happening.

Comment

I'm sure other factors like the opportunity to play closer to home may enter into this young ladies decision.

Comment

The problem is is that she will be getting offers from the top half of all of those confrences you mentioned. I know SDSU is a great women's basketball school, but it would be tough for any girl to turn down offers from some of the very elite programs in the nation in favor of a good mid major. Just the fact that this girl has already been offered a scholarship by a good division one school (SDSU) shows you how good she is. We'd be getting a steal if we could keep her. I'm not kidding anybody when I say when all is said and done she could go anywhere she wants. It's looking like she may be the female equivlent of Mike Miller. She's 5'11", and plays like a guard...if Kerri decides to go play at SDSU, I feel it would cement the Jacks as a dominant girls basketball program and they's be the Gonzaga of women's basketball for awhil if that makes sense, and I hope that happens. But knowing what I know about Kerri, I just really do not see her playing for the Jacks. I hope my instincts are wrong, but I just don't see this happening.
                        Evaluating high school freshman can be a tricky business - there are many instances where top-rated players at this age turn out to be ordinary college players. This isn't saying that Ms. Young may not develop into a great player,but it is a bit early to predict that all the top schools in the country will be making offers. Good luck to her as she continues to work on her game.

Comment

they's be the Gonzaga of women's basketball
                          I'd rather them be the Butler of women's basketball.

I would say that AJ's early early scholarship offer, if true, is an indication of the potential of this kid, as well as a desire to lock her in before the bigger schools come calling.

IMO, SDSU -can- become a program that is not better than 'the lower half' of the Big East/Big 12, but better than all but a couple teams in any conference--and able to go toe to toe with any team anywhere.

Yes, there will always be SD kids that think they *have* to go some place else to make it.

But, unless she lands an offer from one of the top 4-5 schools in the country, she can go as far @ SDSU as at pretty much any other school.

AJ has to get a DVD made with that clip of Sherri Coales saying, "if you haven't watched this team play, you are not a connoisseur of basketball."

Comment

I think that the Jacks are still two or three years away from taking the next step in women's basketball. They made a name for themselves a couple years ago and, to many of the national WBB minds, treaded water this year. It is going to take a 3-4 year run of winning first, and maybe second round tournament games, for the Jacks to make the leap.

IMO, the Jacks are in the Top 10 for mid-majors. But, many of us need to realize that we haven't played some of the better teams. Granted they have defeated Gonzaga and Middle Tennessee St, but they haven't played a ton of the Eastern schools and the Xaviers of the world.

What AJ is doing is spectacular, but to think that it would draw players away from the "bigger programs" is short-sighted. Another few years of this success and we can start to discuss it..
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              Another few years of this success and we can start to discuss it..
                              I agree SDSU is a few years out.

But we're talking about a HS freshman.

Also, I don't think AJ needs to worry that they haven't played Xavier (for instance)--nor do I think that playing the Xaviers of the world will count as much as playing the Arizona States of the world.

Finally, regarding recruits and top programs: Hannah Strop, who grew up almost in the shadow of the U of M told TV that she 'dreamed' about being a Jackrabbit.... This program is, along with Iowa State, already one of the dominant programs in the region.

Comment

Working...
                              X