Bracketology 2010 NCAA Women's Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rabbit Bracketology

ESPN's Charlie Creme, on his teleconference this afternoon, projects South Dakota State's women as a No. 14 or 15 seed.

Comment

As of Sunday Charlie had the 1st place Summit league team (ORU) as a 15th seed. I don't think he'll place us much above that. I think we can sneak up to a 14 at best. I think the difference between a 14 and a 15 would be huge. The 4th best 3 seed will considerably less difficult to upset than the number one 2 seed. Sneak in as a 14 and because of regional match-ups get a game against the weakest 3 seed, that would be ideal.

Louisville, Ky. (March 20)
      (7) Georgia Tech (23-9)
      (10) James Madison (23-6)

(2) OHIO STATE/BIG TEN (30-4)
      (15) ORAL ROBERTS/SUMMIT (21-8)
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        As of Sunday Charlie had the 1st place Summit league team (ORU) as a 15th seed. I don't think he'll place us much above that. I think we can sneak up to a 14 at best. I think the difference between a 14 and a 15 would be huge. The 4th best 3 seed will considerably less difficult to upset than the number one 2 seed. Sneak in as a 14 and because of regional match-ups get a game against the weakest 3 seed, that would be ideal.

Louisville, Ky. (March 20)
        (7) Georgia Tech (23-9)
        (10) James Madison (23-6)

(2) OHIO STATE/BIG TEN (30-4)
        (15) ORAL ROBERTS/SUMMIT (21-8)
        I watched OSU play Iowa in the Big Ten Champion ship was wasn't blown away by them. Granted, we turn the ball over 28 times to a Big Ten school and might as well just head home. That being said, I think that this team can play with almost anyone (UCONN, of course, being one of the exceptions.)
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I think there is a fairly significant dropoff from the top 5 to the top 15 to the top 30 teams in women's basketball. If we could somehow pull out a #13 seed we'd face no better than the 13th best team in the tourney. If we fall to a 15 seed we'd be matched up with a #2 and a top 8 team.

I think we match up fairly well with the bigger/slower teams but would struggle against an up-tempo, gaurd orientated team. There's alot of way's thing could go, but depending on the matchup if we land a #13 or #14 seed we could have a very good shot at an upset in the first round. Then, if we make it through round one, we could have a winnable game against a #5-#12 seed to make it to Sweet 16.

Comment

13 could be our lucky number lol
            - Walk Now For Autism Speaks - Sioux Falls - June 9, 2012: My Personal Page

Comment

I can guarentee one thing, there's no other 13,14, or 15 seed that would be as scary---especially from the 3-pt line.

Comment

OH MY GOD... check out the bracket Charlie puts us with..any familiar names folks???......

http://espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology

Kansas City
                Minneapolis, Minn. (March 21)
                (1) NEBRASKA/BIG 12 (29-0)
                (16) UC DAVIS/BIG WEST (20-9)

(8) DePaul (21-11)
                (9) Dayton (24-7)

Norfolk, Va. (March 21)
                (5) Virginia (21-9)
                (12) PRINCETON/IVY (26-2)

(4) Kentucky (25-7)
                (13) OLD DOMINION/CAA (16-12)

Tallahassee, Fla. (March 20)
                (6) Oklahoma State (21-9)
                (11) Iowa (19-13)

(3) Florida State (26-5)
                (14) GARDNER-WEBB/BIG SOUTH (24-3)

Notre Dame, Ind. (March 21)

(7) GONZAGA/WCC (27-4)
                (10) Middle Tennessee (24-5)

(2) Notre Dame (27-5)
                (15) SOUTH DAKOTA ST./SUMMIT (21-10)

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                  OH MY GOD... check out the bracket Charlie puts us with..any familiar names folks???......

http://espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology

Kansas City
                  Minneapolis, Minn. (March 21)
                  (1) NEBRASKA/BIG 12 (29-0)
                  (16) UC DAVIS/BIG WEST (20-9)

(8) DePaul (21-11)
                  (9) Dayton (24-7)

Norfolk, Va. (March 21)
                  (5) Virginia (21-9)
                  (12) PRINCETON/IVY (26-2)

(4) Kentucky (25-7)
                  (13) OLD DOMINION/CAA (16-12)

Tallahassee, Fla. (March 20)
                  (6) Oklahoma State (21-9)
                  (11) Iowa (19-13)

(3) Florida State (26-5)
                  (14) GARDNER-WEBB/BIG SOUTH (24-3)

Notre Dame, Ind. (March 21)

(7) GONZAGA/WCC (27-4)
                  (10) Middle Tennessee (24-5)

(2) Notre Dame (27-5)
                  (15) SOUTH DAKOTA ST./SUMMIT (21-10)
                  Dont have much faith in Charlie. He doesn't even have our won/loss record correct.

Comment

I say 15 at worst, 13 at best. After last years absolute hose job in seeding and where we played, I would hope the selection commitee would cut us a break, but I doubt it. Last years seed was shameful in every way. Well, we've showed it's not a fluke, so give us a break......ya right.

SDSU-ORU looked like 2 ranked teams in Sioux Falls....if we play like we did against ORU (okay, for the first 35 minutes) noone wants to see us.

Comment

I have about as much faith in Charlie Creme's prognostication as I do with Shawn Cable's weather forecast (Sorry Shawn, I know your also an alum). They can't predict the weather accurately beyond 48 hours - I'm not putting too much faith in where Charlie has us placed. Hopefully we get some respect, but again, I think our schedule has put us in pretty good shape wherever they place us heading to the dance. (Minneapolis is beautiful this time of year! They did it for NDSU last year?) Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                        Dont have much faith in Charlie. He doesn't even have our won/loss record correct.
                        It is extremely doubtful that we will be in the same subregional as Gonzaga or MTSU. The bracketing guidelines say teams shouldn't be placed in a bracket where they will play (I think before the regional final, but could be just the subregional) someone they played in the regular season.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

What Charlie is good at projecting is who's in the field of 64. And even a fair amount of his seeding is correct. What isn't correct is where #3 and above will be playing, and where the various conference champs will be placed.

Hopefully the Jacks will get a midwestern site. Hopefully it would be a neutral site, like Lubbock worked out to be last year.

MSP would be great, Ames or KC good. Just hope that Jacks aren't needed as a "filler" at the 15 level, but instead as a 13 or 14 "filler". I'm un clear on why ODU at 16-12 would be a 13 while SDSU at 22-10 is a 15. ODU has to win their tourney, per La Creme, to make the Dance.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                            What Charlie is good at projecting is who's in the field of 64. And even a fair amount of his seeding is correct. What isn't correct is where #3 and above will be playing, and where the various conference champs will be placed.

Hopefully the Jacks will get a midwestern site. Hopefully it would be a neutral site, like Lubbock worked out to be last year.

MSP would be great, Ames or KC good. Just hope that Jacks aren't needed as a "filler" at the 15 level, but instead as a 13 or 14 "filler". I'm un clear on why ODU at 16-12 would be a 13 while SDSU at 22-10 is a 15. ODU has to win their tourney, per La Creme, to make the Dance.
                            KC is a regional site. Norman, OK is a first-second round site, where SDSU might wind up, as well.

In order of distance (google map miles), with IMHO top seeds in each sub-regional, it's something like:
                            Minneapolis, 219 mi. (Nebraska - 1)
                            Ames, 348 mi. (Iowa State)
                            Notre Dame, 736 mi. (Notre Dame)
                            Norman, 708 mi. (Oklahoma)
                            Louisville, 910 mi. (Ohio State)
                            Cincinatti, 910 mi. (Xavier)
                            Austin 1,074 mi. (Texas)
                            Pittsburgh, 1,102 mi. (West Virginia)
                            Knoxville 1,157 mi. (Tennessee - 1)
                            Durham 1,400 mi. (Duke)
                            Tallahassee, 1402 mi. (Florida State)
                            Norfolk 1,513 mi. (Connecticut - 1)
                            Seattle 1,577 mi. (Texas A&M)
                            Tempe 1,692 mi. (LSU)
                            Berkeley 1,775 mi. (Baylor)
                            Stanford 1,820 mi. (Stanford - 1)

I don't think we'll be put in a subregional with a 1 seed because I can't see us being a 16 seed, or an 8/9 which would be the other game. Other than that, they could put us pretty much anywhere, from Ames to Berkeley.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I spent some time looking at his bracket(Creme) and the locations and I think SDSU is either a 15 or 14 seed. The teams that are in that range are really tightly grouped. Our RPI is #110 which hurts but we did beat ranked Gonzaga and Middle Tennessee State teams but they were early.

It would be huge if we can move up to the #14 seed and avoid playing one of the top eight seeds because they appear to be head and shoulder above the rest. The 3 through 5 seeds are all very similar. We can play with those teams and have a good shot at advancing. We could pull a major upset on a #1 or #2 seed but it is highly unliikely.

Anyway, based on if we are a #14 or #15 seed we won't be playing in one of the arenas that are closer to Brookings. It would take a #13 seed to bring Minneapolis and Ames into play.

I guess we just wait and see. All I know is WE'RE IN BABY!!!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                                I spent some time looking at his bracket(Creme) and the locations and I think SDSU is either a 15 or 14 seed. The teams that are in that range are really tightly grouped. Our RPI is #110 which hurts but we did beat ranked Gonzaga and Middle Tennessee State teams but they were early.

It would be huge if we can move up to the #14 seed and avoid playing one of the top eight seeds because they appear to be head and shoulder above the rest. The 3 through 5 seeds are all very similar. We can play with those teams and have a good shot at advancing. We could pull a major upset on a #1 or #2 seed but it is highly unliikely.

Anyway, based on if we are a #14 or #15 seed we won't be playing in one of the arenas that are closer to Brookings. It would take a #13 seed to bring Minneapolis and Ames into play.

I guess we just wait and see. All I know is WE'RE IN BABY!!!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                                Based on who's already won conference tournaments and who's likely to win (using Sagarin), we're a natural #14 seed. The committee has the flexibility to move teams one line, so we could go up to a #13 or down to a #15. If there are a few more major upsets in tournaments, we could possibly sneak up to a natural #13 (with therefore a 12 to a 14 possible committee seed), but it's not likely.

The Gonzaga and MTSU wins in pocket, and the 11-1 record in our last 12 games (which is what the committee also looks at) are pluses for SDSU which might cause the committee to move us up a line. Our overall record, and the weak general reputation of the Summit League are minuses that might move us down.

But there's not a whole lot of difference between playing a 2 seed and playing a 4 seed in the first round. At least we (very probably) won't get fed to UConn or have to play at Tennessee or Stanford our first game.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X