• Re: 2011 Recruits

All Time Leading Scorers

1) Shannon Schlagel - 2002-2005 - 1787 pts
    2) Megan Vogel - 2004-2007 - 1850 pts
    3) Melissa Pater - 2000-2003 - 1747 pts
    4) Brenda Davis - 2001-2004 - 1688 pts
    13) Maria Boever - 2007-2010 - 1360 pts
    14) Jennifer Warkenthien - 2006-2009 - 1349 pts

In a nutshell, that is what is wrong with our team this year.

Take a good look at the years they spent as SDSU and notice the overlap. It's not so much that all these ladies could score, its that they were great leaders too. They provided a calming influence on the court mainly through their presense.....players knew that they had a go to person and felt less pressure. They also made it easier for everyone around them because they commanded so much attention.

We don't have that person right now, and that's not a shot at anyone on the roster. We have plenty of talent and the coaches are recruiting the same way they have always been. We have been very spoiled here at SDSU. Go back and read through the old threads from years gone by and you will see hundreds of posts from us, talking like we were gods gift to ladies basketball....like we had it all figured out and no one else did (making friends as I go). The truth of the matter is, is that we were extremely blessed with some great talent and more importantly great chemistry. Whether that chemistry originated from the players, Coach Johnston or Coach Melum, I don't know but obviously it was there.

Chemistry is a fickle thing. You recruit players that you think will mesh well together and that you hope will mature into future leaders and even all time greats...but it isn't that simple and it doesn't always happen that way. No one really knows why. Look at North Carolina, Kentucky etc in mens basketball. They have their pick of talent but it doesn't always equate into Final Four teams. When chemistry is on your side it can be a beautiful thing (Butler men from last year), but when it's not, it can be ugly also(our women this year).

Just my $.02.
    Last edited by NebraskaJack; 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
      All Time Leading Scorers

Take a good look at the years they spent as SDSU and notice the overlap. It's not so much that all these ladies could score, its that they were great leaders too. They provided a calming influence on the court mainly through their presense.....players knew that they had a go to person and felt less pressure. They also made it easier for everyone around them because they commanded so much attention.

We don't have that person right now, and that's not a shot at anyone on the roster. We have plenty of talent and the coaches are recruiting the same way they have always been. We have been very spoiled here at SDSU. Go back and read through the old threads from years gone by and you will see hundreds of posts from us, talking like we were gods gift to ladies basketball....like we had it all figured out and no one else did (making friends as I go). The truth of the matter is, is that we were extremely blessed with some great talent and more importantly great chemistry. Whether that chemistry originated from the players, Coach Johnston or Coach Melum, I don't know but obviously it was there.

Chemistry is a fickle thing. Your recruit players that you think will mesh well together and that you hope will mature into future leaders and even all time greats...but it isn't that simple and it doesn't always happen that way. No one really knows why. Look at North Carolina, Kentucky etc in mens basketball. They have their pick of talent but it doesn't always equate into Final Four teams. When chemistry is on your side it can be a beautiful thing (Butler men from last year), but when it's not, it can be ugly also(our women this year).

Just my $.02.
      Chemistry (soft spot for this ) is the key factor here. '10-11 team includes 2 1000 point players for their career, and a possible 3rd player. Kristen Rotert will end up with roughly 1400 points for her career, which is between 8th-12th all-time. Jill Young will finish her JR season at about 900 points, and Jenny Sunnaborg at about 730. So, assuming another standard or better production in 11-12 from the 2 JR's, they should both be 1K members. So far, the parts are more than the sum, and somehow, to be successful, this needs to be sum greater than the parts.

Comment

Elaborating on the "spoiled" reference,as I chk out scores from division one teams played that day, I sometimes wonder about some teams you never hear about and year after year never get a chance to play in the NCAA tournament,we've been there the first two years we were eligible.Some schools struggle every year to compete,but they go out and play the best they can and can hold their heads high at the end of the year because they played their best .We'll figure it out,and I'm encouraged by the fact we have a top notch program and there are many,many schools that have never seen the success we have in our "short" time playing div 1 basketball.Just a thought.

Comment

Seems like a possible recruit who's been mentioned here has recently gained some National notoriety.Here's a link for those who might be intrested.
          http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181198/index.htm
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-28-2011, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU16 View Post
            Makes me wonder if not having Laurie Melum on the bench isn't a big factor.
            I'm guessing this topic may come up during TV's live chat today,as it was discussed during the game blog Monday night.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              Seems like a possible recruit who's been mentioned here has recently gained some National notoriety.Here's a link for those who might be intrested.
              http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1198/index.htm
              Sometimes it's easy to put up big numbers when you are at a small school and are head and shoulders above the rest of the players. But moving on to a bigger school, college, might not afford you the same success. I think we all have seen examples of that. (USD) Big fish in a small pond ends up small fish in a big pond. Just sayin.
              Last edited by 67jack; 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM.
              When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU16 View Post
                KSFY just reported that Sioux Falls Washington Sr, and SDSU recruit, Rachel Walters, is one of 1,000 nominated to play in the McDonalds' All Star game.
                Rachel's Washington team is host to SF Roosevelt tomorrow at 7:30 pm. One of her opponets for the Rough Riders is SDSU volleyball recruit Wagner Larsen.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                  All Time Leading Scorers

Chemistry is a fickle thing. You recruit players that you think will mesh well together and that you hope will mature into future leaders and even all time greats...but it isn't that simple and it doesn't always happen that way. No one really knows why. Look at North Carolina, Kentucky etc in mens basketball. They have their pick of talent but it doesn't always equate into Final Four teams. When chemistry is on your side it can be a beautiful thing (Butler men from last year), but when it's not, it can be ugly also(our women this year).

Just my $.02.
                  NebraskaJack is right on with his assessment. One thing that is left out in this discussion, is how well the head coach gets along with his team members and how does their chemistry gell. This season has been a real stuggle. And while we still have ladies from this team that will end up with big scores for their carreer, team leadership is not there. As I recall, Maria led her team last season, not just in points, but in rebounds, steals and field goal %, and Ketty was a vocal leader as well. No go to person night in and out this year. I am optomisitc about next years team though. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamPlayer View Post
                    ...I am optomisitc about next years team though. Time will tell.
                    I am optimistic about this years team
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by TeamPlayer View Post
                      NebraskaJack is right on with his assessment. One thing that is left out in this discussion, is how well the head coach gets along with his team members and how does their chemistry gell. This season has been a real stuggle. And while we still have ladies from this team that will end up with big scores for their carreer, team leadership is not there. As I recall, Maria led her team last season, not just in points, but in rebounds, steals and field goal %, and Ketty was a vocal leader as well. No go to person night in and out this year. I am optomisitc about next years team though. Time will tell.

I agree. I'm pessimistic by nature, so I apologize. I don't see this team winning the conference tournament. I just don't see how it's possible for this team to win three games in a row, against this level of competition. I feel like there is a serious lack of leadership.
                      Last edited by 2002jack; 02-17-2011, 10:32 PM.
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

...and when they make it to the big dance this year, everyone will be writing about how they had faith in them all along and backed them 100% etc. Yeah, yeah, we all know how that goes..

Comment

We lose a prolific scorer in Rotert this year,as well as a good point guard in Macie,and a good all around tough player in Schuttloffel,freshmen typically don't score alot,sophomore class doesn't have a lot of scorers(didn't show it at least this year) nor the freshman class(lots of inconsistency as far as scoring goes),Lingle's comming around,but the scoring load will have to be shouldered by Jill and Jenn.I believe that's what happened to Rotert this year, is that too much was put on her shoulders to carry this team to wins.Unless you can get 5 players on the floor contributing,I don't think one person can do it all alone.Sometimes it was two,occasionaly maybe three.I like our chances this year a lot more than next year of winning the tournament.Unless,people step up big time next year.They can start by winning their way to the Summit championship THIS yr.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-18-2011, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                            ...and when they make it to the big dance this year, everyone will be writing about how they had faith in them all along and backed them 100% etc. Yeah, yeah, we all know how that goes..
                            I just want to say that I'm not as negative as some on here. They lost to Oakland and IPFW in OT. They played bad in both of those games and still went to OT against the teams that are 2nd and 3rd in the conference. They did lose to Southern Utah by 1 point, too. The 2 loses to ORU were when ORU had their second best player on the team and now she is out for the rest of the season. I don't know what to say about the NDSU game.
                            SDSU has had problems finishing off games but they've been in almost all of them. A bounce here or there and SDSU could be 12-3 right now. Even if they don't play the last 3 games well, they played 2 of the 3 teams tough at home and that's close to what SF is.

Comment

Holy thread drift!
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                                We lose a prolific scorer in Rotert this year,as well as a good point guard in Macie,and a good all around tough player in Schuttloffel,freshmen typically don't score alot,sophomore class doesn't have a lot of scorers(didn't show it at least this year) nor the freshman class(lots of inconsistency as far as scoring goes),Lingle's comming around,but the scoring load will have to be shouldered by Jill and Jenn.I believe that's what happened to Rotert this year, is that too much was put on her shoulders to carry this team to wins.Unless you can get 5 players on the floor contributing,I don't think one person can do it all alone.Sometimes it was two,occasionaly maybe three.I like our chances this year a lot more than next year of winning the tournament.Unless,people step up big time next year.They can start by winning their way to the Summit championship THIS yr.
                                I agree with some of this but I think there are a lot of unknowns about next year. Will Leah and Megan come back healthy? They both came here highly touted and were injured this year. Leah has been injured 2 years in a row so I'm worried about her but I have high hopes for Megan.
                                Macie is a good PG but she's been injured all year. If she was healthy, we'd be talking about another NCAA tourney bid but she isn't. This year, Eide averages more points and rebounds while playing less minutes. Eide also has a higher FG%, FT% and 3-point FG%. Macis' job is to bring the ball up the floor but if she was healthy, she'd also but more of an offensive threat.
                                I like what Schuttloffel brings to the floor. She's the tough player that plays defense, draws charges, rebounds and passes the ball. She has basketball smarts. Her job isn't to score. But if you're look ing at scoring, her and Macie (together) average about 9 points a game. I think if Leah is healthy she'll fill this roll. They both do the"drirty" work.
                                I don't know about the scoring. Some players are shooters and others aren't. Rotert is a shooter. She puts up a lot of shots and scores a lot of points. She has twice as many shots as Eide or Lingle. If they doubled their shots (and points), they'd average 12 points/game. The player that I think will be a big scorer next year is Megan. In the games she played she looked to score. If she shot as many shots as Rotert did, she would have averaged 16 points/game. Strop looks like a shooter too but I don't know what to think of her, yet.
                                This doesn't include Gabby or the freshmen.
                                I know this has nothing to do with the recruits but I just felt like responding.

Comment

Working...
                                X