2010 Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Recruiting

If people feel our post players need to defend better by not getting lured away from the basket, then that is a x-o game plan thing from the coaching staff.

Fact of the matter is: It all starts with Luper and Bingham getting by our first defender and forcing the entire defense to rotate. They have to rotate to help because you cannot give up layups. That in turn leaves people wide open. When I say "get by" our first defender, it doesn't have to be a wide open drive to the lane.

Comment

Is Luper more athletic and/or quicker than Vandersloot?Middle Tenn State was supposed to be a pressing team, we literaly deystroyed them at home.ORU sweeping us is very disturbing .NDSU & IPFW both beat ORU to earn at least a split.Are thier gaurds more athletic and/or quicker than ours?NDSU was leading ORU late in the second game by 16pts, Oakland , without Carnago to swat balls away in the game, was leading ORU by 9 at the end of the first half, they lost by four....we can't get within 20 until garbage time to lose by 10.We must never catch them when they're playing lousy , because we can't get within 20 pts of them, but other teams of the same caliber can compete? Oh well,we have to get hoop girls top 50 gaurds I guess.They're probably lining up right now to help us out of this situation.

Comment

Yes in fact Vandersloot did hurt us. She scored 20 pts on 5 of 18 shooting. She shot 15 free throws against us too.

Whether posters on the board agree or not, I really think adjustments need to be made with X-O's. We tried to play them the same way both games and it didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          Griff's point is related.

The WBB post players can be lured into leaving the gaps open, resulting in easy points.

As JackDaniel pointed out, if this were an athletic disadvantage, ORU wouldn't have struggled with NDSU & Oakland (teams which SDSU beat handily), it's a strategic disadvantage.
          Our men and women don't run the same defensive scheme, as the men's defense is designed around closing off the driving lanes, where the women's is designed around closing off the passing lanes and putting presser on the ball. The women's game is more dependent on the rotation of the post defenders to cut off driving lanes (but it is important for the ball defender to seal off the inside and force the ball handler into the post as well), and timing is everything here. If the post defender leaves her man too early it's an easy pass for a layup (as the backside help doesn't have time to rotate over), and if they leave too late they either don't get to the spot to cut off the drive or are in bad position and make a foul. This area is were Warkenthien and Oistad are missed the most in my opinion, as I have seen a lot of poor awareness from our post defenders this season (though I think our "on the ball" defense has not been doing a very good job at positioning themselves to length the distance of the offensive drives, therefore giving the posts less room for error).

Now it might be easy for one to think that the women should just all of a sudden switch to the same scheme as the men, but I still think the women have played better defense this year than the men (even against ORU), but the difference is the horrendous turnover numbers our women's team has had this year. The men have done a great job of taking care of the ball and playing defense with all 5 defenders, where the women have been turning the ball over in the backcourt, giving up fast breaks where the offense has a 1 on 0, 2 on 1, or 3 on 2 advantage. That is not a defensive scheme problem, but rather an offensive, ball handing problem. No matter what defensive scheme you run, it is hard to win when you turn the ball over 30 times!
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

This is right back to where this all started" the extemely quick and athletic gaurd play of Luper and Bigham" is causing us to have an inordinate number of turnovers ....blah, blah ,blah.Maybe we're just a careless, sloppy passing team that shows it's true colors when a little more pressure is applied.Hope that's not the case,and if it is,well, we've had the whole season to address the problem and it's not showing much improvement.They should be learning to help each other out by now.Maybe i'm just expecting too much out of this team.But, I think we can beat ORU if we put it all together.Hope it happens in Sioux Falls.

Comment

kemo makes some good points, espcially when comparing the mens and womens defensive teams.
              I want to clarify that when I say X-O adjustments need to be made, I am not saying an overhaul. But something may need to be tweaked when we play ORU. We have to have something in our back pocket "just in case" what we have in our system isn't working for the 3rd straight time against them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                This area is were Warkenthien and Oistad are missed the most in my opinion
                Agree, but SDSU still had problems with those slashing guards last year.
                Now it might be easy for one to think that the women should just all of a sudden switch to the same scheme as the men
                I don't think they should, but I do think that there's something to be said for Griff mentioning a slight tweak to their scheme that closed off those lanes.

AJ's defense (as JamesJacks mentioned) should be able to handle a tweak or two that makes it harder for Luper & Bigham to exploit.

Comment

In the Oakland v ORU game, OU was keeping two girls on offense just off the side free throw lines. The guards would penetrate the lane drawing ORU's big to them and then would pass out to one of the girls just outside the lane for a quick shot. Hannah Reising was killing them from about eight feet out. The thing with this is whoever gets the pass has to be ready to take the shot and cant hold the ball because ORU will come over and double or triple team the ball. ORU's main thing is to come over and grab the ball and try to get the jump ball. When Luper and Bigham cant drive the lane they will either kick it back out or try for a junk shot. And they were good at getting the ball inside to Pyle and the other big girl when the lanes were closed. What killed OU in the game and the same for NDSU was they went cold at the wrong time and started to press and gave up steals, rebounds, and fouls. By the way, with all these jump balls being called, what ever happened to the reach in foul? They can't be getting the ball that cleanly without some contact.

Comment

Sounds like the Jacks will need to use less of the clock on offense as well.

If Ketty can get in a rhythm she might be able to pick ORU apart, if she can catch and shoot short range jumpers--the problem is that you've got a choice between Macie, who will drive the lane to draw coverage but isn't as quick to shoot from the perimeter, and Jill who doesn't drive, but can shoot from outside. Well, that's one of the problems, the other is that they're both a bit undersized.

Macie driving and then kicking out to Ketty early in the shot clock might be the best way to duplicate OU's success on offense-----although, it seems SDSU really hasn't had a problem scoring against ORU.....

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Sounds like the Jacks will need to use less of the clock on offense as well.

If Ketty can get in a rhythm she might be able to pick ORU apart, if she can catch and shoot short range jumpers--the problem is that you've got a choice between Macie, who will drive the lane to draw coverage but isn't as quick to shoot from the perimeter, and Jill who doesn't drive, but can shoot from outside. Well, that's one of the problems, the other is that they're both a bit undersized.

Macie driving and then kicking out to Ketty early in the shot clock might be the best way to duplicate OU's success on offense-----although, it seems SDSU really hasn't had a problem scoring against ORU.....
                      We only have a problem keeping up with thier scoring, because we have to work hard & shoot well the whole game to score....they get easy lay ups ,etc. from all our turnovers , steals.The team that can keep ORU from getting all those steals is the one that has the best chance of beating them.Not an easy task for anyone so far in Summit play.15.9 or something like that steals a game is the stat that sets them apart from the rest of the League.take that away and they are just an average team.

Comment

If you turn the ball over 33 times,it probably won't matter how good your shooting % is. That's 33 possessions where you don't even get a shot up. If you estimate the average possession lasts 20 seconds,that equals 120 per game. Only half of them are ours,so that is over 1/2 of the possessions where you have no chance at scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          If you turn the ball over 33 times,it probably won't matter how good your shooting % is. That's 33 possessions where you don't even get a shot up. If you estimate the average possession lasts 20 seconds,that equals 120 per game. Only half of them are ours,so that is over 1/2 of the possessions where you have no chance at scoring.
                          Very well said,about 60 possessions per avg game,give up 33 of those, even shooting high % , just can't score enough pts to win.Plus, don't you give them 60+33 possessions?That's 93 to 27 chances to score for them, minus thier turnovers.We've got to take care of the ball, it's more important than people realise.

Comment

ORU manages the game clock very well too, i noticed that when they get a significant lead, they'll slow the pace & use almost all the shot clock.They also use dang near all the 10 sec to bring the ball past half court,that's when they rest Luper & Bigham,we shouldn't let them do that.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              ORU manages the game clock very well too, i noticed that when they get a significant lead, they'll slow the pace & use almost all the shot clock.They also use dang near all the 10 sec to bring the ball past half court,that's when they rest Luper & Bigham,we shouldn't let them do that.
                              There is no ten second rule in WBB. I do however agree with your point about them managing the shot clock well when ahead.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                                I agree with that but it is sure a lot easier when you have two outstanding offensive players like them to make something happen late in the clock. They are two really good guards.

BTW-there is no 10-second clock in the women't game. Not trying to bust your chops because I just learned that not long ago. Made an ass of myself at a game when I jumped up and yelled 10 seconds. Caught a few looks on that one.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X