Post Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    we don't need to go on a 10 pt run , just need a couple shots to fall and we'll be alright, stuck on 7 since Myah's 3 pointer
    I would be happy if one shot would fall.

Comment

Good defense by Nelson to force jump ball

Comment

WOW
        unimaginably hot shooting for LSU
        and nearly as unimaginable officiating join forces to knockoff the iowa girls

i have NEVER been a fan of letting postseason games turn into wrestling matches because you, want to "let them play," but i guess i would prefer that to what we got today

it should NOT be so hard to call fouls on the obvious overly physical incidents while letting go touch, minor events

the second foul on Reese LSU, i totally agree she definitely reaches and swats a lot, but there was minimal contact to the player to put LSU best player out of the game with an early 2nd foul

yet, they FAR MORE than made up for it with 2 feather touch offensive fouls on Clark and a ridiculous Tech for her 4th

seemed like the LSU girls came into the game today prepared to fall down at the drop of a hat. they were falling all game long on offense on defense and on rebounds

all that said the TRUE difference in the game was their shooting

if you had put the O / U for LSU at 76 i would have said they hit the under at least 75% of the time and today they go for 100+. that said the iowa game plan from friday of DARING the other team to shoot 3s maybe could have been modified just a little. Carson was LSU leader on made 3s for the year with 10+ more than the next girl and at least 25 more than anyone after that and she hit a not great but definitely respectable 33%

they could have stayed a bit closer to her and dared everyone else

that is all for this year. on to transfer season))

Comment

We've known that Mulkey is trash since she took off that fake leather vest and stomped on it in 2009, and got every call for the rest of the game. The T called on Clark for the ball flip changed the momentum of the game. And Kim makes physical contact with an official, and spends half the game on the court and never gets called. The decision by the NCAA to only use female officials in the Final 4 certainly didn't look good today.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            We've known that Mulkey is trash since she took off that fake leather vest and stomped on it in 2009, and got every call for the rest of the game. The T called on Clark for the ball flip changed the momentum of the game. And Kim makes physical contact with an official, and spends half the game on the court and never gets called. The decision by the NCAA to only use female officials in the Final 4 certainly didn't look good today.
            well it is not allowed to say it in the world we live in today but the decision to hire people for ANY REASON other than being the most qualified for the job is just replacing one type of discrimination with another

same thing as UM refusal to even consider a male coach

i am NOT saying being female had anything to do with the terrible officiating today!!!! obviously i see male officials make plenty of equally terrible calls!!! but the pre determination to hire from ONLY a specific group of people for anything is stupid and anyone who is honest with themselves knows it

as far as Mulkey i am probably not quite as bothered by her as many or some?? but HALF the game on court?)))))) hahaha i would say more accurate to say she was OFF the court for about HALF a second for the entire game

her in game antics are annoying. that i agree!!!! but she does not annoy me anymore than DP did and plenty of other coaches, Mills!, and she is really an unquestionably great recruiter and great coach, but YES it would be very hard to watch her ON THE COURT the whole game
            and wonder what influence that had on the national POY having 3 fouls in the first half. OBVIOUSLY LSU came prepared to flop EVERY TIME Clark touched them and the lobbying of officials started way before the game, you can know that WITHOUT a doubt

the 3 fouls and 2 offensive made Clark a totally different player than she was against USC. she was a one dimensional outside shooter in the second half, her driving was severely limited
            the tech was just a whole other level of stupidity

all that said, i dont believe LSU could shoot that percentage again if they replayed the game 10 times and Iowa probably beats them about 6.5 - 7 our of 10 times

Comment

I only watched a bit in the first half today. Cry baby mulkey was standing onnthe court basically every time iowa had the ball. In front of lsu bench. Maybe i am wrong but the coach literally on the court during the game especially on the half that has the ball has to be a penalty. I dont know the rule book but it was pretty egregious. Im sure she does because the refs wont do snything until she assults them.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I have said this before, Mulkey is a puke. Yes, she should have been T'd up more than once when she is on the court when the players are within 5' of her. Her team is a bunch of pukes as well. they are great players though. The refs were way out of line, its a national champioship game, let them play. I am not a Iowa fan, but, they go the short end of the stick today. We also will never be able to compete with those teams loaded with athleticism (african american girls), unless we can outplay them as a team. No, I am not a racist, but its a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  I only watched a bit in the first half today. Cry baby mulkey was standing onnthe court basically every time iowa had the ball. In front of lsu bench. Maybe i am wrong but the coach literally on the court during the game especially on the half that has the ball has to be a penalty. I dont know the rule book but it was pretty egregious. Im sure she does because the refs wont do snything until she assults them.
                  yes i will not say i know the letter of the rule book here either, BUT i am beyond confident that ON THE COURT during game play is a technical. i would imagine some officials might give a warning first but i am pretty comfortable to say it is not required

that said, she gets away with this every game, SOOO seems like breaking out the Tech for this in the championship game would have been pretty out of line unless they DEFINITELY told her ahead ot time that they were not going to allow it

based on the same reasoning, however, i dont think ANYONE saw ANYTHING Clark did that was more deserving of a game changing technical in the second half of said final game. TOTALLY SICKENING

if there is any type of meaningful review system none of these refs comes near a championship game again and exponentially true for the one who called the T, but if someone told me i had to be on that happening, i would not wager more than a nickel

it was not just the tech. they literally got basically the entire game wrong. they were a HUGE part of the story from the opening tip. they made terrible calls BOTH ways!!! they called touchy calls that should have been let go and they let go excess physicality that impacted the game!!!!

again they were definitely terrible BOTH ways, but Iowa was the team with 3 starters on the bench with 4 fouls in the 3rd quarter. and i think i have made it clear in this forum in the past i am FAR FAR FAR from a hawkeye fan!!! . BUT that does not remove the fact that the officials played way too big of a role in this game and in the end hurt iowa far more than Lsu

Comment

[QUOTE=98Jackfarmer;n533592]I have said this before, Mulkey is a puke. Yes, she should have been T'd up more than once when she is on the court when the players are within 5' of her. Her team is a bunch of pukes as well. they are great players though. The refs were way out of line, its a national champioship game, let them play. I am not a Iowa fan, but, they go the short end of the stick today. We also will never be able to compete with those teams loaded with athleticism (african american girls), unless we can outplay them as a team. No, I am not a racist, but its a fact.

i think the refs need to LET THEM PLAY in every game to be honest. but in my mind that means dont call touchy crap that has minimal impact on the game. and dont put the best players on the bench because of said, touchy fouls

but i am never a fan of letting it become a wrestling match because you swallowed your whistle because it is a BIG game. calling nothing ALSO impacts the game just like calling too much

i am slightly curious about your athleticism thoughts. i would prefer to NOT open a big conversation about EITHER race or racism. i would say there have definitely been scientific studies done on the correlation between ethnicity and athleticism. if someone wants to look for the results they can

but people probably think of different things when they say athleticism?? to me i feel like WHAT most people think of is speed, quickness, and explosiveness (in many sports leaping ability) i would say without question fast explosive athletes can come in a wide variety of packages, including different ethnic groups

and FOR SURE speed, quickness, explosiveness are definitely useful and helpful

but there are also a lot of other useful traits / skills and in basketball i still think shooting is the most valuable skill and it is a skill that is minimally impacted by the traits usually thought of as athletic (i am not saying no impact)

height and width also help, determination, intelligence, confidence, stamina, etc......there are many useful traits and i will stay out of an extended debate which other traits some may or may not include as athletic traits

there are MANY methods that can lead you to being a succesful player and team. personally the two things i always wanted my teams to be good at are shooting (like iowa) and rebounding (like usc) and again you can debate what amount of athleticism is needed for those. i always said there is no good reason to get beaten on the boards. of course being tall or quick, etc can help but a player with neither of those can still be a good rebounder using little more than focus and determination

finally i would say the jacks already DEFINITELY COMPETE with pretty much anyone. we beat two of this years final 8 teams in the last year!! HEALTH is a very useful trait!!!! if we had HEALTHY Dru and Paige all year we very well could have been hosting the first weekend of this tournament.

i dont want to do a whole coulda woulda shoulda thing but if you give us healthy Dru and Paige AND you give us back the Paiton and Tori who shot 3s last year at over 40% instead of 27 and 23 or whatever it was. our team this year looks a LOT more like the type of team that defends well, rebounds solid, and shoots well from multiple positions that has a shot at a team like USC

Iowa just played with ANYONE in the country with minimally more hieght than us. czinano is only 6'3 the 6'4 girl off their bench would DEFINITELY not dominate our bigs. i dont think AJ would ever really want to play the game like this iowa team. he does not want to shoot that many 3s

but they are a team that does not look a whole lot different than we do and they are basically recruited from the same place as our team

anyway farmer, i am ALL FOR your idea of us getting bigger and more athletic but i just dont think it would be fair to not recognize how close to being a top 20 (give or take a few spots on a year to year basis) team we are. VT was a top 5 team in the country this year i would more than like to have a rematch with them and more than like our chances. we have an amazing team!!! i think the louisville and ucla and VT coaches would tell anyone that we already DO compete with any team in the country

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

well it is not allowed to say it in the world we live in today but the decision to hire people for ANY REASON other than being the most qualified for the job is just replacing one type of discrimination with another

same thing as UM refusal to even consider a male coach

i am NOT saying being female had anything to do with the terrible officiating today!!!! obviously i see male officials make plenty of equally terrible calls!!! but the pre determination to hire from ONLY a specific group of people for anything is stupid and anyone who is honest with themselves knows it

as far as Mulkey i am probably not quite as bothered by her as many or some?? but HALF the game on court?)))))) hahaha i would say more accurate to say she was OFF the court for about HALF a second for the entire game

her in game antics are annoying. that i agree!!!! but she does not annoy me anymore than DP did and plenty of other coaches, Mills!, and she is really an unquestionably great recruiter and great coach, but YES it would be very hard to watch her ON THE COURT the whole game
                      and wonder what influence that had on the national POY having 3 fouls in the first half. OBVIOUSLY LSU came prepared to flop EVERY TIME Clark touched them and the lobbying of officials started way before the game, you can know that WITHOUT a doubt

the 3 fouls and 2 offensive made Clark a totally different player than she was against USC. she was a one dimensional outside shooter in the second half, her driving was severely limited
                      the tech was just a whole other level of stupidity

all that said, i dont believe LSU could shoot that percentage again if they replayed the game 10 times and Iowa probably beats them about 6.5 - 7 our of 10 times
                      Yes, I agree with what’s been said by everyone…officials didn’t take control in any kind of respectable way. And your first comment LGR about replacing one type of discrimination with another is right on!! I take it you have been around the block a few times also. When one sees so many types of decision making over the many decades that don’t follow the proper rules and regulations whether in sports or elsewhere, that have been followed over many decades, then it starts out of control procedures!!

Comment

[QUOTE=LetsGoRabbits;n533594]
                        Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                        I have said this before, Mulkey is a puke. Yes, she should have been T'd up more than once when she is on the court when the players are within 5' of her. Her team is a bunch of pukes as well. they are great players though. The refs were way out of line, its a national champioship game, let them play. I am not a Iowa fan, but, they go the short end of the stick today. We also will never be able to compete with those teams loaded with athleticism (african american girls), unless we can outplay them as a team. No, I am not a racist, but its a fact.

i think the refs need to LET THEM PLAY in every game to be honest. but in my mind that means dont call touchy crap that has minimal impact on the game. and dont put the best players on the bench because of said, touchy fouls

but i am never a fan of letting it become a wrestling match because you swallowed your whistle because it is a BIG game. calling nothing ALSO impacts the game just like calling too much

i am slightly curious about your athleticism thoughts. i would prefer to NOT open a big conversation about EITHER race or racism. i would say there have definitely been scientific studies done on the correlation between ethnicity and athleticism. if someone wants to look for the results they can

but people probably think of different things when they say athleticism?? to me i feel like WHAT most people think of is speed, quickness, and explosiveness (in many sports leaping ability) i would say without question fast explosive athletes can come in a wide variety of packages, including different ethnic groups

but there are also a lot of other useful traits / skills and in basketball i still think shooting is the most valuable skill and it is a skill that is minimally impacted by the traits usually thought of as athletic (i am not saying no impact)

height and width also help, determination, intelligence, confidence, stamina, etc......there are many useful traits and i will stay out of an extended debate which other traits some may or may not include as athletic traits

there are MANY methods that can lead you to being a succesful player and team. personally the two things i always wanted my teams to be good at are shooting (like iowa) and rebounding (like usc) and again you can debate what amount of athleticism is needed for those. i always said there is no good reason to get beaten on the boards. of course being tall or quick, etc can help but a player with neither of those can still be a good rebounder using little more than focus and determination

finally i would say the jacks already DEFINITELY COMPETE with pretty much anyone. we beat two of this years final 8 teams in the last year!! HEALTH is a very useful trait!!!! if we had HEALTHY Dru and Paige all year we very well could have been hosting the first weekend of this tournament.

i dont want to do a whole coulda woulda shoulda thing but if you give us healthy Dru and Paige AND you give us back the Paiton and Tori who shot 3s last year at over 40% instead of 27 and 23 or whatever it was. our team this year looks a LOT more like the type of team that defends well, rebounds solid, and shoots well from multiple positions that has a shot at a team like USC

Iowa just played with ANYONE in the country with minimally more hieght than us. czinano is only 6'3 the 6'4 girl off their bench would DEFINITELY not dominate our bigs. i dont think AJ would ever really want to play the game like this iowa team. he does not want to shoot that many 3s

but they are a team that does not look a whole lot different than we do and they are basically recruited from the same place as our team

anyway farmer, i am ALL FOR your idea of us getting bigger and more athletic but i just dont think it would be fair to not recognize how close to being a top 20 (give or take a few spots on a year to year basis) team we are. VT was a top 5 team in the country this year i would more than like to have a rematch with them and more than like our chances. we have an amazing team!!! i think the louisville and ucla and VT coaches would tell anyone that we already DO compete with any team in the country
                        Iowa vs LSU was very, very similar to how we lost to VT. Both Iowa and the Jacks fell way behind early in the game, and neither could completely make up the deficit, but we managed to knock off 11 of the 23 pt 1st half deficit and out score VT the entire 2nd half. Iowa was behind by 17 after 1st half, and lost the game by 17 to end the game. Iowa was greatly hampered by ticky tacky fouls, I agree, that didn't let them make an all out effort to even up and possibly win the game, they were shackled by 3 starters with 4 fouls ea who sat way to much on the bench when they were needed on the court The fans of wbb were robbed also of the possibility of a more thrilling game too, if you ask me. The 2nd foul on Reese was very much deserved, she hacked accross her arm so hard the ball went flying out of bounds. The replay clearly showed it. You can tell she's Mulkey's player, she looked stunned, perplexed that she got the foul call. There was plenty of acting going on in this game, they should have given out Oscars along with the Championship trophy. LSU was unimaginably hot shooting alright, both teams actually, 11 3's for Iowa, 14 FOR LSU at 64% 3 PT SHOOTING Iowa shot well too, but not quite well enough this day.
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-02-2023, 11:17 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=LetsGoRabbits;n533594]
                          Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post

Excellent points, and you did a much better job responding to the undertones than I would've.

As for whether the Jacks can compete with SEC "style" teams, I'd have to echo what you mentioned regarding rebounding, which can be indirectly influenced by how well the Jacks are shooting from long range (e.g., if opponents have to bring defenders when Jacks are hitting treys). 6-7 Cardoso having 15 rebounds in game at Pentagon definitely influenced outcome

Comment

[QUOTE=jackdaniel;n533596]

Iowa vs LSU was very, very similar to how we lost to VT. Both Iowa and the Jacks fell way behind early in the game, and neither could completely make up the deficit, but we managed to knock off 11 off of the 23 pt 1st half deficit and out score VT the entire 2nd half. Iowa was behind by 17 after 1st half, and lost the game by 17 to end the game. Iowa was greatly hampered by ticky tacky fouls, I agree, that didn't let them make an all out effort to even up and possibly win the game, they were shackled by 3 starters with 4 fouls ea who sat way to much on the bench when they were needed on the court The fans of wbb were robbed also of the possibility of a more thrilling game too, if you ask me. The 2nd foul on Reese was very much deserved, she hacked her arm so hard the ball went out of bounds. The replay clearly showed it. You can tell she's Mulkey's player, she looked stunned, perplexed that she got the foul call. There was plenty of acting going on in this game, they should have given out Oscars along with the Championship trophy.
                            Reese probably should've also gotten a technical for antagonizing Clark too. Glad her college days are done.

Comment

[QUOTE=jakejc795;n533597]

Excellent points, and you did a much better job responding to the undertones than I would've.

As for whether the Jacks can compete with SEC "style" teams, I'd have to echo what you mentioned regarding rebounding, which can be indirectly influenced by how well the Jacks are shooting from long range (e.g., if opponents have to bring defenders when Jacks are hitting treys). 6-7 Cardoso having 15 rebounds in game at Pentagon definitely influenced outcome
                              NO DOUBT!! 100% agree their rebounding had a big impact on the game and to be honest i thought there were long stretches in the game where we very much held our own on the boards.

BUT again, as i have already said, THIS USC team might be the single most dominant rebounding team i have ever seen. i am talking any level any whatever you want. rebounding IS their superpower!! but we also shot like hot garbage in that game. if we shoot better that cuts down on the potential number of easier defensive boards for them. AND at the end of the day losing to them by 15 is nothing to be ashamed of and we lost by 15 when shooting terrible (YES YES i know some of the shooting is connected to their also excellent defense but we did also miss some good looks not ONLY hard contested looks)

again if paiton is hitting 3s like last year that moves one of Boston or Cordozo away from the paint and creates better less contested shots for other players. so yes i agree of course Height is helpful but it can be overcome and MOST teams DO NOT focus on OWNING the boards like usc does and you can overcome height or at least minimize it. Again look at iowa they are not not not significantly taller than us. i really dont think VT is either minus one player and we very much neutralized her in the second half. and it was a player who is shorter than most of our team Soule who killed us and pretty much illustrated what i am saying. she is a good rebounder because she is aggressive and determined despite being a power forward in D1 WBB at under 6' tall

Last edited by LetsGoRabbits; 04-03-2023, 01:27 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=jakejc795;n533598]
                                Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

Reese probably should've also gotten a technical for antagonizing Clark too. Glad her college days are done.
                                i honestly dont know what my full thoughts are about this

i can definitely say i hate the behavior. and i dont even like it when jacks players do far far less!!!! such as even something so commonplace today as zeke putting goggles over his eyes after making an assist (NOT singling him out!!!! just the first one that came to mind. former rabbit baylor i did not like his antics constantly waving and pointing to the crowd this year) i am more than self aware. i know i am wildly old school!!!

but that said can someone tell me, i am VERY aware of C Clark, obviously!! but until this tourney probably had not watched more then 2 games. of course see highlights. to be honest i commented to a friend earlier in the tournament that i do not particularly like the way she interacts with the refs. she has an awful lot of very animated gestures. to be honest what she got T'd for today was nothing compared to other behavior toward the refs in earlier games

but what i dont know-HOW MUCH does she taunt other players?? i have seen a little but did not scrutinize it and did not find it equal to what i feel like the LSU players have done semi regular in their games i have seen
                                but she DID have the dismissive gesture to the shooter from USC in the game friday. and many people are NOW saying that she does EVERY bit of the taunting that Reese did today. if that is true than anyone who is upset at Reese today better also be mad at Clark for previous actions

i have not watched enough or seen enough to have an opinion except that i dont like the taunting AT ALL BY ANY PLAYER. play your own game. celebrate the succcess of your team with your team. there is zero reason to show someone up. and i will say talking a little good natured crap that is not seen by the whole world but just between you and the opponent feels different to me but if you cannot do it without going over the line then dont do it at all

anyway, if i care enough to watch a game, not often any more except the jacks, then i care enough to wonder what kind of people they are and i have watched quite a few post game interviews and celebrations in the last few weeks. i have been almost universally impressed. i think A Boston is very impressive and saw very little i would question at all from USC. little bit of whining after the loss. i will give them that. undoubtedly a crushing loss for almost all seniors to end careers. surprised how impressed i have been with the VT players considering they knocked us out i thought some bias could cloud my thoughts a little and make me see a little more negative but they have been pretty impressive too. i DONT like some of clark on court stuff but wow the play does overshadow it by a mile. her performance was singularly and legendarily dominant!!! i have to go back to Glen Rice carrying michigan to the title in 89 to think of a player who had such a performance for the whole tournament!!! BTW (former jacks assistant Brian Dutcher was the assistant coach for that team) but off the court i have been nothing but impressed with clark and her teammates

from what i have seen in tourney lsu have been easily the most annoying in postgame and non bball specific behavior. but i do think that is a fairly direct result of mulkey. i am NOT saying they are terrible people because she is terrible. again i am NOT as loathing of her as most are. (i see parts of her i cannot stand. other parts are pretty impressive) but it is pretty much her stated philosophy that she does not really care about the non basketball stuff as long as it does not cost the team. so not surprising that her team shows more flair / personality / sometimes annoying behaviors than some of the other teams

Comment

Working...
                                X