Post Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    The Best Defensive team, by a literal mile, did not get ONE player on the all defense team.

And all 3 of our second team players are better than pretty much everyone on the first team. Just because they don't have the stats.

Whatever. Take home the hardware that matters.
    Again, end-of-season awards tend to be stats driven. It is what it is. The players on this team understand that and actually are more interested in their teammates success than their own. Your last sentence is likely the motto they have hanging above their door.

That being said, putting any ORU player on the all defensive team is an absolute travesty. They gave up over 100 points SIX times this season. I myself can't remember the last time SDSU's women gave up a 100 point game. The worst scoring defense in the league should not get a player on the all defensive team, I don't care what stat they were successful in. There certainly isn't a good metric for this team as Tori N. and Kallie T. are two players I wouldn't trade anyone outside of maybe Minett for (from a purely defensive standpoint). There has to be some value to the player you stick on the other teams best offensive player and say "shut them down." And that isn't reflected at all on this team.

As for the first team, we already knew 5 of the players so it was a matter of pick your flavor for the 6th. One can't argue that Moore isn't a heck of a player. And yes, she would get a lot of play on our team. If you don't believe that then frankly you don't watch enough of the women's game.

As for the 2nd team, I was happy to see the recognition we did get there. We actually got more credit than I thought we would as some of the podcast pundits were like "I suppose you need to include a 2nd SDSU player on one of the two teams." Uh, how about a 4th thank you very much! The fact that we got 3 is a good indicator that despite middling numbers our players are simply better than players from the other teams. All you have to do is look at this number, 27.2. That's our average margin of victory in conference games. You aren't doing that over an 18 game season if you don't just have much better players than the other teams.

As for the newcomer I'm glad Dru was recognized. Again, her value extended to the dominance of the team over her individual numbers. But this team was a very talented group and left off two players I thought would make it who also had very good years. Obviously us having such a veteran team meant that our freshman weren't going to get a chance to shine, but their time will come.

This is off thread but man was it great to have two amazing PG's running this team. We definitely need to consider the PG position next year with a transfer. The two freshman just simply are not PG's and the offense just ran so much better with a true PG running the team.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Number of shots taken this season : Borowicz - 490 ; Cooper - 435 ; Larkins - 403 ; Hamling - 395 ; Selland - 322 and Timmer - 285.
      Minutes played; Cooper 671; Borowicz 607; Larkins 588; Hamling 602; Selland 497.

So the closest player to Myah essentially played over 2 more games than Myah to accumulate her stats. Cooper played almost 4.5 additional games.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

Again, end-of-season awards tend to be stats driven. It is what it is. The players on this team understand that and actually are more interested in their teammates success than their own. Your last sentence is likely the motto they have hanging above their door.

That being said, putting any ORU player on the all defensive team is an absolute travesty. They gave up over 100 points SIX times this season. I myself can't remember the last time SDSU's women gave up a 100 point game. The worst scoring defense in the league should not get a player on the all defensive team, I don't care what stat they were successful in. There certainly isn't a good metric for this team as Tori N. and Kallie T. are two players I wouldn't trade anyone outside of maybe Minett for (from a purely defensive standpoint). There has to be some value to the player you stick on the other teams best offensive player and say "shut them down." And that isn't reflected at all on this team.

As for the first team, we already knew 5 of the players so it was a matter of pick your flavor for the 6th. One can't argue that Moore isn't a heck of a player. And yes, she would get a lot of play on our team. If you don't believe that then frankly you don't watch enough of the women's game.

As for the 2nd team, I was happy to see the recognition we did get there. We actually got more credit than I thought we would as some of the podcast pundits were like "I suppose you need to include a 2nd SDSU player on one of the two teams." Uh, how about a 4th thank you very much! The fact that we got 3 is a good indicator that despite middling numbers our players are simply better than players from the other teams. All you have to do is look at this number, 27.2. That's our average margin of victory in conference games. You aren't doing that over an 18 game season if you don't just have much better players than the other teams.

As for the newcomer I'm glad Dru was recognized. Again, her value extended to the dominance of the team over her individual numbers. But this team was a very talented group and left off two players I thought would make it who also had very good years. Obviously us having such a veteran team meant that our freshman weren't going to get a chance to shine, but their time will come.

This is off thread but man was it great to have two amazing PG's running this team. We definitely need to consider the PG position next year with a transfer. The two freshman just simply are not PG's and the offense just ran so much better with a true PG running the team.
        I think Moore is the ONLY other player in the league that i would say FOR SURE starts for the jacks
        i think Larkins is next closest but it is REALLY hard to tell how much of her production would be lost on a team where they did not have to rely on her so so heavy, but it is clear that ALL of her numbers would go down on a good team

i think Hamling and Borowicz are good players and they would definitely play for the jacks but i am not willing to guarantee they knock one of our starters to the bench, which one? i dont see it

to me Cooper is by far the most overvalued / overrated player. she leads the league in points and steals. BOTH of those are heavily influenced by the style they play and the number of offensive and defensive possessions! i think if you put her in ANY other team in the league her points drop significantly and in some cases maybe as much as half or a little more

regarding the defense
        YES it is ALL ABOUT stats. i am happy that Mims made the mens team despite few steals, but i think he was just widely recognized as a real pain for opposing top scorers

for the WBB team they took the top 2 shot blockers and 2 of top 3 in steals. it is funny / ironic that the team with the BEST team defense had zero players on all defense team and the team with the WORST defense was represented and i am mildly surprised T Moore was not on the team being the top rebounder and number 3 shot blocker. personally i do think she was more deserving than cooper

i had stated earlier that there is WAY more to defense than steals and blocks. i have argued for a month that Kallie is the best defender in the league and i thought Tori deserved recognition for her all around game but i was doubtful she would make an all league team scoring less than 8 points a game and dropping off over 2 pts a game from last year, but she does everything else

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
          Who from our starting 5 would you replace with someone from another team? That should be your first team. Making sure to exclude players because their team is REALLY good is trash. I hate post-season awards because of this sort of thing. I also hate all-star games and all-tourney teams. Now, get off my LAWN!
          I understand why they need to spread the awards around a little, but this is a really good question.

Comment

Rabbits play the Tommies, fresh off their first-ever win in the Summit League Tournament, tomorrow at 12:30!

Comment

JUST IN CASE you are not paying attention:

10th seed UMKC is beating 2 seed NDSU by 12 at the half

Comment

UMKC down to 7 players because of COVID and somehow their energy is off the walls and NDSU can’t catch any momentum.

Comment

The gas tank is running really low for UMKC. Clinging to a 7 point lead with 6 minutes remaining. NDSUs coach is starting to look very nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                    UMKC down to 7 players because of COVID and somehow their energy is off the walls and NDSU can’t catch any momentum.
                    YES i knew they were down to 7 or 8, couldnt remember which.

not really cheering either way, just thought it was a bit interesting. it is probably better in the long run for the jacks for ndsu to have a successful program. a successful ndsu stays in the league and brings plenty of fans to their games. umkc draws way better than say, Denver, but they dont draw like the bison do, and if they would ever get too successful they would probably start thinking they should be in another league again

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                      The gas tank is running really low for UMKC. Clinging to a 7 point lead with 6 minutes remaining. NDSUs coach is starting to look very nervous.
                      no doubt they would appreciate getting tomorrow off before a semi final game

Comment

UMKC by 3 with 20 seconds left.

Comment

NDSU is about to lose to UMKC. Credit to KC playing with zero bench with two games in 24 hours. Poor Jory Collins.

Comment

Jacks move up to an 11 seed in the latest ESPN bracketology. Has them playing # 6 Michigan in South Bend. A win would likely match them up with Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Jacks move up to an 11 seed in the latest ESPN bracketology. Has them playing # 6 Michigan in South Bend. A win would likely match them up with Notre Dame.
                              I like this over even being a 10 seed. I would rather play a 6 and a 3 versus a 7 and a 2.

Comment

I’d take that draw. I still think we could end up as a #9/10 but I’d honestly prefer an 11 seed as I think we will have an easier path to the sweet 16/elite 8 that way.

Iowa City is likely going to be the closest first round site geographically but I’d rather not play Caitlin Clark right now. They are on fire and playing really well.

Comment

Working...
                                X