Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=LetsGoRabbits;n533594]
    Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    I have said this before, Mulkey is a puke. Yes, she should have been T'd up more than once when she is on the court when the players are within 5' of her. Her team is a bunch of pukes as well. they are great players though. The refs were way out of line, its a national champioship game, let them play. I am not a Iowa fan, but, they go the short end of the stick today. We also will never be able to compete with those teams loaded with athleticism (african american girls), unless we can outplay them as a team. No, I am not a racist, but its a fact.

i think the refs need to LET THEM PLAY in every game to be honest. but in my mind that means dont call touchy crap that has minimal impact on the game. and dont put the best players on the bench because of said, touchy fouls

but i am never a fan of letting it become a wrestling match because you swallowed your whistle because it is a BIG game. calling nothing ALSO impacts the game just like calling too much

i am slightly curious about your athleticism thoughts. i would prefer to NOT open a big conversation about EITHER race or racism. i would say there have definitely been scientific studies done on the correlation between ethnicity and athleticism. if someone wants to look for the results they can

but people probably think of different things when they say athleticism?? to me i feel like WHAT most people think of is speed, quickness, and explosiveness (in many sports leaping ability) i would say without question fast explosive athletes can come in a wide variety of packages, including different ethnic groups

and FOR SURE speed, quickness, explosiveness are definitely useful and helpful

but there are also a lot of other useful traits / skills and in basketball i still think shooting is the most valuable skill and it is a skill that is minimally impacted by the traits usually thought of as athletic (i am not saying no impact)

height and width also help, determination, intelligence, confidence, stamina, etc......there are many useful traits and i will stay out of an extended debate which other traits some may or may not include as athletic traits

there are MANY methods that can lead you to being a succesful player and team. personally the two things i always wanted my teams to be good at are shooting (like iowa) and rebounding (like usc) and again you can debate what amount of athleticism is needed for those. i always said there is no good reason to get beaten on the boards. of course being tall or quick, etc can help but a player with neither of those can still be a good rebounder using little more than focus and determination

finally i would say the jacks already DEFINITELY COMPETE with pretty much anyone. we beat two of this years final 8 teams in the last year!! HEALTH is a very useful trait!!!! if we had HEALTHY Dru and Paige all year we very well could have been hosting the first weekend of this tournament.

i dont want to do a whole coulda woulda shoulda thing but if you give us healthy Dru and Paige AND you give us back the Paiton and Tori who shot 3s last year at over 40% instead of 27 and 23 or whatever it was. our team this year looks a LOT more like the type of team that defends well, rebounds solid, and shoots well from multiple positions that has a shot at a team like USC

Iowa just played with ANYONE in the country with minimally more hieght than us. czinano is only 6'3 the 6'4 girl off their bench would DEFINITELY not dominate our bigs. i dont think AJ would ever really want to play the game like this iowa team. he does not want to shoot that many 3s

but they are a team that does not look a whole lot different than we do and they are basically recruited from the same place as our team

anyway farmer, i am ALL FOR your idea of us getting bigger and more athletic but i just dont think it would be fair to not recognize how close to being a top 20 (give or take a few spots on a year to year basis) team we are. VT was a top 5 team in the country this year i would more than like to have a rematch with them and more than like our chances. we have an amazing team!!! i think the louisville and ucla and VT coaches would tell anyone that we already DO compete with any team in the country
    I shouldn't say AA girls. They can be of any shade. But watching yesterday what we lack is the depth of athletic ability as compared to some. Watching how the bigs from both USC and LSU work the paint and position themselves, out jump, and dominate the paint is something we can't match. In the second half, LSU moved away from the 3 ball and Alexis Morris took Iowa to the woodshed with her mid range game. There just seems to me to be a much larger selection of talent to pick from outside of the midwest that we might benefit from tapping into.. With that said I wouldn't trade our team, look at that Morris girl. Mulkey kicked her off the team at Baylor, then brings her back to LSU. JMO, but I just get a self centered, egocentric vibe from teams like LSU and Mulkey. BUT, they are good, and Nat. Champions.

Comment

[QUOTE=jakejc795;n533598]
      Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

Reese probably should've also gotten a technical for antagonizing Clark too. Glad her college days are done.
      It would be interesting to see what would happen if that level of taunting would take place at the end of a men's game.

Comment

If the NCAA could not find more qualified referees to call that game, the need for qualified refs is huge. Mulkey was treated like royalty as she paraded up and down the court during play. The flop rule was again disregarded throughout the game. That tactic could have been eliminated early in the season had all the refs enforced the technical foul for flops. These refs were quite horrendous from the tip.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

So,what do we need then, a tall rim protector who also has good post skills who can help us score there, and high percentage shooters, especially the 3 pt kind, or someone like Myah who also had a good mid-range jumper. I think what we should be focused on is winning a sweet 16 game, not just getting there. Maybe when we can get to that point we can start thinking how to become an elite 8 winner. Then we can realistically start getting the recruits we are talking about now, elite 8/ final 4 caliber recruits.

NCAA Tournament success goes a long, long way toward getting the elite 8 and final 4 players, if they aren't home grown. Is all we can hope for is to get the best regional talent available? It has proven us good so far and maybe that's the reason we can retain the players we get because they want to be here, not a bad thing either. We can shore up our weaknesses in the meantime and get to the intermediate goals first , then maybe things will materialize to keep going up the ladder. I like that everyone is engaged and talking these things, hope that never changes. We have fans that care,that's a good thing for any program to have. Just some thoughts to hopefully continue the discussion, unless most everything has already been pretty well covered.

Comment

[QUOTE=jakejc795;n533598]

Reese probably should've also gotten a technical for antagonizing Clark too. Glad her college days are done.
            Both players will be back next year.

Comment

[QUOTE=98Jackfarmer;n533601]
              Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

I shouldn't say AA girls. They can be of any shade. But watching yesterday what we lack is the depth of athletic ability as compared to some. Watching how the bigs from both USC and LSU work the paint and position themselves, out jump, and dominate the paint is something we can't match. In the second half, LSU moved away from the 3 ball and Alexis Morris took Iowa to the woodshed with her mid range game. There just seems to me to be a much larger selection of talent to pick from outside of the midwest that we might benefit from tapping into.. With that said I wouldn't trade our team, look at that Morris girl. Mulkey kicked her off the team at Baylor, then brings her back to LSU. JMO, but I just get a self centered, egocentric vibe from teams like LSU and Mulkey. BUT, they are good, and Nat. Champions.
              I agree, getting the best regional players (for now) for every position and combining them all together makes for a potent offensive team for opponents to have to deal with. Two, even one position weakness really weakens the team. I think that's the main problem with the lower Summit teams, and it carries over even further into the bench players.

We don't even typically get the very best regional players except for SD. Could you imagine Caitlin Clark and Mara Braun , and Donarski from Wisc, Neb's very best too. We do get very, very good ones since being D1, and have some of those now on our current roster Kallie,Tori,Paige,Brooklyn,Maddie M, Ellie,Mesa, and on and on, with future rosters much the same,Hopp next season for example,again not to forget our SD talent. We have pretty good success recruiting regionally I think.

Comment

[QUOTE=98Jackfarmer;n533601]
                Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i am NOT trying to be argumentative. i hope that is clear. but when you say we do not have rebounders like the girls at usc and lsu, those are very probably the 3 best rebounders in the country. Reese definitely LEADS the nation in offensive rebounds. A Boston has just won the National Best Center award (Lisa Leslie award) for the FOURTH year in a row. and Cordozo and Boston i will all but guarantee have outrebounded every group of post players they have played all year

just for reference
                LSU played USC
                Reese had 4 rebounds (in 33 minutes) Boston 9 Cardoso 13 (finally looked up how to spell her name)

USC beat LSU on the boards 43-25

SDSU vs USC
                Kallie had 7 rebounds (in 25 minutes) Myah 6 Boston 9 Cardoso 15
                USC beat us as a team 48-41

we had 6 players with 4 or more boards against usc. lsu had just 3 players with 4 or more

two points. yes i agree Reese, Cardoso, and Boston are better rebounders than anyone we have, but Kallie is a VERY elite rebounder and Myah is just a notch behind

to say we dont have players who rebound like those 3 is literally saying probably the 3 best rebounders in ALL of NCAA WBB. it is the same as saying we need a player that shoots 3s like Caitlyn Clark. there are zero other teams that have those things because those 4 are better than anyone that any team has

would i be very happy for us to have a Cardoso and a Clark. well let me think))) haha obviously yes, but so would EVERY team in the country

i am not saying you are wrong. LSU, USC, UCLA, etc they all have mcdonalds all americans on their roster. Boston will be the first pick in the wnba draft this year. are we EVER going to get a mcdonalds AA to come to brookings? it is pretty unlikely. i guess some set of circumstances could align for it to happen, but that will definitely be the exception. other teams get them on a very regular basis. so again yes there is a gap in individual talent

but that said we definitely ARE competing with anyone. louisville was in the final 8 this year and final 4 the 2 previous years. ucla was in the final 8 (and i bet an honest coach close says that her healthy team at the end of last year was basically EQUAL to this year team that made the final 8 and maybe more if they dont meet south carolina) and i know we lost to VT by 12 but i think we are more than able to compete with them and they had LSU down by 9 going into the 4th Q

Comment

Just watched the video clip of Angel [gross misnomer] Reese holding up her hand and pointing to her middle finger with her other hand , that's the same thing as Reese giving Clark the finger, same exact meaning. She should have been ejected , right along with that grotesque costume wearing clownish egotistical maniac Coach of hers for her outlandish behavior too. By turning a blind eye to these behaviors is to effectively condone them . The NCAA should be horrified that they picked these refs for this Tournament that probably was the worst display of refereeing in NCAA History.

The NCAA should order Mulkey to undergo a psychiatric evaluation before they ever let her participate in another NCAA Tournament, wish they could, she needs one. This level of incompetence did nothing but set the WBB NCAA Tournament backwards by allowing this clown show to go on without stopping it immediately. Sad day for WBB
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-03-2023, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Just watched the vid of Angel [misnomer] Reese holding up her hand and pointing to her middle finger with her other hand , that's the same thing as Reese giving Clark the finger, same exact meaning. She should have been ejected , right along with that grotesque costume wearing clownish egotistical Coach of hers for her outlandish behavior too. The NCAA should be horrified that they picked these refs for this Tournament that probably was the worst display of refereeing in NCAA History.
                    Wasn't she pointing to her ring finger, as in "I got the ring " ? I haven't seen the middle finger take anywhere else. Classless, irregardless.

Comment

I would believe that AJ is getting the talent needed. Markowski from Lincoln, Ne was headed to Brookings until she was swayed to stay in Lincoln. She is 6'3" and she was freshman of the year in the Big 10. I also agree that Kallie T plays a great post on both ends. If you look back to the NCAA regional played against S Carolina March 2013, the Gamecocks were the taller and faster team, Staley has recruited for these strengths and this year she gave up the outside shooting getting to that point. LSU went to the portal and "drafted" the team to compete for the finals. Mulkey's approach seems common among many teams, but AJ is not likely looking to add 4-6 portal players each year on a regular basis. Dru was a great addition this year due to injury. The early departure of Regan N may have another 1 year opening. Staley is not likely to join that portal parade either. Cardoso is a transfer after the coaching change at Syracuse following her freshman year and a grad transfer Fletcher following 4 years at Georgia Tech. The Jackrabbits will be OK.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Wasn't she pointing to her ring finger, as in "I got the ring " ? I haven't seen the middle finger take anywhere else. Classless, regardless.
                        Meh. Clark isn't exactly innocent in this whole thing. She's got plenty of bravado. Clark taunted Louisville towards the end of their game by waving her hand in front of her face. Is it OK for Clark to do that but not Reese?

Comment

v
                          Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          wasn't she pointing to her ring finger, as in "I got the ring " ? I haven't seen the middle finger take anywhere else. Classless, irregardless.
                          Never thought of that, just her taunting period makes me think the worst I suppose. Her index finger of the hand pointing was held away just far enough to be either, depending on what was in her mind, clever deceit?? edit, I watched it again, she was touching a finger or two, but the vid was poor quality and the grainy image coupled with her fast movement, I cannot say which one, or she hit both or what, so ya, the ring explanation makes more sense, I don't think anyone would be so brazen to give the finger disguised or not with millions watching.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-03-2023, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            I would believe that AJ is getting the talent needed. Markowski from Lincoln, Ne was headed to Brookings until she was swayed to stay in Lincoln. She is 6'3" and she was freshman of the year in the Big 10. I also agree that Kallie T plays a great post on both ends. If you look back to the NCAA regional played against S Carolina March 2013, the Gamecocks were the taller and faster team, Staley has recruited for these strengths and this year she gave up the outside shooting getting to that point. LSU went to the portal and "drafted" the team to compete for the finals. Mulkey's approach seems common among many teams, but AJ is not likely looking to add 4-6 portal players each year on a regular basis. Dru was a great addition this year due to injury. The early departure of Regan N may have another 1 year opening. Staley is not likely to join that portal parade either. Cardoso is a transfer after the coaching change at Syracuse following her freshman year and a grad transfer Fletcher following 4 years at Georgia Tech. The Jackrabbits will be OK.
                            This transfer portal thing is a bad omen for mid -majors, as if it wasn't already an uphill battle, to let the P-5,s pick up the best players from the other P-5's and , as you say "draft" them and combine them into essentually a pro team by adding NIL's to the mix, is just taking armature athletics and throwing out the window

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Meh. Clark isn't exactly innocent in this whole thing. She's got plenty of bravado. Clark taunted Louisville towards the end of their game by waving her hand in front of her face. Is it OK for Clark to do that but not Reese?
                              If Reese does it once, not an issue. But chasing Clark around the floor doing it for 20 seconds crossed the line in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

You are absolutely correct!

Comment

Working...
                                X