Post Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    So,what do we need then, a tall rim protector who also has good post skills who can help us score there, and high percentage shooters, especially the 3 pt kind, or someone like Myah who also had a good mid-range jumper. I think what we should be focused on is winning a sweet 16 game, not just getting there. Maybe when we can get to that point we can start thinking how to become an elite 8 winner. Then we can realistically start getting the recruits we are talking about now, elite 8/ final 4 caliber recruits.

NCAA Tournament success goes a long, long way toward getting the elite 8 and final 4 players, if they aren't home grown. Is all we can hope for is to get the best regional talent available? It has proven us good so far and maybe that's the reason we can retain the players we get because they want to be here, not a bad thing either. We can shore up our weaknesses in the meantime and get to the intermediate goals first , then maybe things will materialize to keep going up the ladder. I like that everyone is engaged and talking these things, hope that never changes. We have fans that care,that's a good thing for any program to have. Just some thoughts to hopefully continue the discussion, unless most everything has already been pretty well covered.
    One tall rim protector (6'4+) with post skills would level the playing field in the NCAA non-conference and March Madness. Two would be even better ....

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      I would believe that AJ is getting the talent needed. Markowski from Lincoln, Ne was headed to Brookings until she was swayed to stay in Lincoln. She is 6'3" and she was freshman of the year in the Big 10. I also agree that Kallie T plays a great post on both ends. If you look back to the NCAA regional played against S Carolina March 2013, the Gamecocks were the taller and faster team, Staley has recruited for these strengths and this year she gave up the outside shooting getting to that point. LSU went to the portal and "drafted" the team to compete for the finals. Mulkey's approach seems common among many teams, but AJ is not likely looking to add 4-6 portal players each year on a regular basis. Dru was a great addition this year due to injury. The early departure of Regan N may have another 1 year opening. Staley is not likely to join that portal parade either. Cardoso is a transfer after the coaching change at Syracuse following her freshman year and a grad transfer Fletcher following 4 years at Georgia Tech. The Jackrabbits will be OK.
      you absolutely nailed it!!!!

actually look at some of the HUGE bad breaks we have had recently
      Markowski makes the dumb decision to play for a much worse team or we have another P5 quality post to go along with Myah and B Meyer and Kallie

BOTH our PG get injured
      and Paiton a sdsu HOF and top 5 all time scorer almost completely loses her shooting touch this year
      Tori also loses her shooting touch

and yet we played Half of this years final 8 teams in the last calendar year and we beat half of them and performed more than respectably against the other 2

i think it is a NO BRAINER argument, we played south carolina FAR tougher than lsu did

USC outrebounded LSU by 18
      us by 7

they were ahead of us by 9 after 3Q and beat us by 18
      they were ahead of LSU by 16 after 3Q and beat them by 24

we have excellent players and an incredible program!! and only continue to get better in both

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Meh. Clark isn't exactly innocent in this whole thing. She's got plenty of bravado. Clark taunted Louisville towards the end of their game by waving her hand in front of her face. Is it OK for Clark to do that but not Reese?
        OBVIOUSLY many are trying to make this just another example of what a horrible racist country we live in. TOTAL JOKE! i stated earlier that if you were not mad at clark you cannot be mad at reese.

but i think some are trying to say that because clark did it then it is OK if reese did it

there is definitely some amount of competitive fire and personality that is acceptable. the problem is trying to draw the line and the fact there would be a million different opinions where the line is. VERY VERY HARD to get any agreement!!!!!!!!!

personally i would rather see almost nothing be tolerated because it is kind of once you open the door where do you stop it??? again, you put any group of people into a discussion about this and the ability to come to an agreement is TINY

anyway ONE person acting like a jackass does not make it GOOD or wise or appropriate or a display of character or integrity for another person to also act like a jackass. i have had some minimal dealing with coach bluder and i have NEVER been a fan. personally i believe she should have done a LOT more to STOP Clark from interacting with the officials the way she does. i put that on the coach. i have already said why i think Mulkey players behave the way they do

finally to be clear if both players did it then both players are UNQUESTIONABLY WRONG (i did not see the incident with clark. i did ask about it)

i will say one further thing. being the best player does NOT excuse bad behavior!!!! Clark says she wants to be an inspiration well she should want to inspire others to be people of character and people of character do NOT need to taunt someone after they win!!!! my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE thing about sports is that they teach us how to make hard decisions and correct decisions in the middle of BOTH amazing success and amazing heartbreak or difficulty!!!!!! so i give ZERO break to clark if she did it. actually i would want the best player to also be the best example!! she has been blessed with many gifts that have helped her to get where she is at. no doubt she has worked hard to be the player she is!!!! but she has also been very VERY BLESSED

to whom much is given much is expected!!!!!

that said it is BEYOND blind for ANY player to follow Caitlyn Clark around the floor taunting her after her team loses. she was EASILY the best player in the tournament and while her team lost the final game she was FAR FAR FAR from defeated or beaten!!!!!!

in 1979 did Magic Johnson follow Larry around the court pointing at his finger. MSU won the game but everyone knew that Bird was far from beaten. and while both of them were known to talk plenty of trash they never put on public displays of disrespect

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post

One tall rim protector (6'4+) with post skills would level the playing field in the NCAA non-conference and March Madness. Two would be even better ....
          HOW MANY of those players are there??? Iowa just made it to and should have won the national championship WITHOUT such a player

there are many many ways to get the job done on the basketball court and we are definitely getting it done

actually our 2 best post players, Myah and Kallie, both played quite well against ALL 3 of South Carolina, VT and USC. no other player on the team can say they played well against all 3. based on that maybe the problem is not with our posts??? i understand what everyone is saying. just pointing out that there is another perspective

Comment

[QUOTE=MontanaRabbit;n533615]

Meh. Clark isn't exactly innocent in this whole thing. She's got plenty of bravado. Clark taunted Louisville towards the end of their game by waving her hand in front of her face. Is it OK ?

I think what Clark did was wrong but it is not close to what Reese did. Clark did it for about a second and was walking to her bench, Reese was doing it for several seconds and she was following Clark around like she was a lost puppy. It would not of mattered if Reese got a T because the game was over but she (Reese) and Mulkey both deserved T's more than Clark did.

USC and LSU are just really physical teams and when they are allowed to body up Clark outside the 3-point line, without a foul called, they are tough. They push you under the basket for rebounds, bump you off your spot, and drive to the basket and initate contact and a block is called.
            Virginia Tech has a 6'6" player and Iowa has a big post but they (probably) aren't physical enough to match up with USC or LSU either so you need more than just height/size.

I think Iowa wins 7 or 8 out of 10 games if they played that many but LSU won the game that counted. That is the great thing about March Madness. I'm sure USC wishes they were best of 5 series, too.

The officials were bad both ways but it seemed like LSU was just a half step quicker than Iowa and several bang-bang calls hurt Iowa's top 3 players. LSU's bench just made more plays in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

This transfer portal thing is a bad omen for mid -majors, as if it wasn't already an uphill battle, to let the P-5,s pick up the best players from the other P-5's and , as you say "draft" them and combine them into essentually a pro team by adding NIL's to the mix, is just taking armature athletics and throwing out the window
              How much of an NIL would it take to keep our recruits at SDSU? I know none of the women's team have been purchased like Baylor, but it will happen at some point. I haven't heard any dollar amounts for women's basketball players and NIL deals. I don't think we can compete with the big boys in football and men's basketball. Maybe in women's basketball we can not only keep ours, but poach a few from other teams. How much cash to snatch up a few from around the Summit League?
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

If Reese does it once, not an issue. But chasing Clark around the floor doing it for 20 seconds crossed the line in my mind.
                I agree. I'm not really a fan of doing it at all, but she basically followed her for a several steps trying to get in her face.

Comment

[QUOTE=JACKGUYII;n533605]
                  Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Both players will be back next year.
                  Knew about Clark, but I thought Reese was done.

Thank you for enlightening me. Now, I have an excuse to eat some Reese's PB cups to eat my feelings.

Comment

[QUOTE=jakejc795;n533629]
                    Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post

Knew about Clark, but I thought Reese was done.

Thank you for enlightening me. Now, I have an excuse to eat some Reese's PB cups to eat my feelings.
                    Per WNBA draft rules, Reese cannot come out until a year from now. Kind of surprised someone hasn't sued to be able to come out sooner, given the big difference compared to the NBA rule.

Comment

• [QUOTE=91jack;n533625]
                      Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Meh. Clark isn't exactly innocent in this whole thing. She's got plenty of bravado. Clark taunted Louisville towards the end of their game by waving her hand in front of her face. Is it OK ?

I think what Clark did was wrong but it is not close to what Reese did. Clark did it for about a second and was walking to her bench, Reese was doing it for several seconds and she was following Clark around like she was a lost puppy. It would not of mattered if Reese got a T because the game was over but she (Reese) and Mulkey both deserved T's more than Clark did.

USC and LSU are just really physical teams and when they are allowed to body up Clark outside the 3-point line, without a foul called, they are tough. They push you under the basket for rebounds, bump you off your spot, and drive to the basket and initate contact and a block is called.
                      Virginia Tech has a 6'6" player and Iowa has a big post but they (probably) aren't physical enough to match up with USC or LSU either so you need more than just height/size.

I think Iowa wins 7 or 8 out of 10 games if they played that many but LSU won the game that counted. That is the great thing about March Madness. I'm sure USC wishes they were best of 5 series, too.

The officials were bad both ways but it seemed like LSU was just a half step quicker than Iowa and several bang-bang calls hurt Iowa's top 3 players. LSU's bench just made more plays in this game.

your first comment i highlighted
                      that is what i also thought i saw. but i was not totally focused on the game like i do when i watch the jacks. i was on my phone, on computer, and doing several things besides focusing on the game. therefore, i did not think i saw enough to make any definitive statements about what happened

at the same time, even the bit i saw, maybe a bit longer than a second, i did not like. if one of my players did that i probably give them extra conditioning. i always hated to use playing time as a punishment, because i think it punishes the whole team for the non bball actions of one person. (some have a different perspective but that is / was my philosophy) AND in the case of Clark she has had pretty much the biggest spotlight / biggest microphone of anyone in the game and therefore i would like her to hold herself to the highest standard

so again to be clear i do not accept what Clark did

but i also agree with you that Reese seemed far more malicious. and as i said before, i just think it is / was GROSSLY out of touch with reality. she clearly meant to say to clark you aint so bad. REALLY? anyone else think caitlyn clark aint so bad? she was the baddest player in the country PERIOD and end of story. her behavior i totally disagree with and i believe if her coach would have held her accountable for those things the behavior would very likely disappear!! but her game is beyond question

the second highlighted comment
                      i much appreciate the iowa players and coaches saying the refs did not lose the game for them!!! they have zero control over the refs so the only thing to do is focus on things they can control

i do think iowa made a mistake in the first half that put them into a big hole.
                      i totally agree with packing the paint against LSU much the same as USC. but i think they should have at least considered paying a bit more attention to carson who is probably LSU biggest threat from 3. without question in the top 2

if you want to start the game daring EVERYONE including their top 3 pt shooter. then in my opinion, YOU MUST adjust when she starts making them. i say if she misses 1 or 2 or 3 and then makes one maybe you maintain the same philosophy (i still may or may not depending on game circumstances)

but iowa NEVER adjusted. she made her first shot then 2 then 3. they did not adjust. her 4th 3 of the first half was from the left corner. clark was a little closer but she had both hands down. they let a team that is really NOT a great scoring team score over 50 points in the first half and the biggest factor in that was letting Carson hit 5 threes and score 21 points. and the confidence that provided i believe carried over in to some other people also making shots in the first half

so that is the biggest thing iowa readily needed to do better

but as far as them being physical with Clark and impacting her scoring. sorry to anyone from LSU who wants to take credit for shutting her down but THEY DIDNT!! she was still the leading scorer in the game. she shot under 30% from 3 against USC she shot over 42% against LSU

SORRY LSU but the only difference was she had to be far far more cautious driving in the second half after getting called for 2 borderline charging calls in the first half. but the biggest problem with the fouls. iowa could not play defense in the second half

first half defense was their fault!!!!!!!! second half defense Clark started the half with 3 fouls. she could never challenge anyone. czinano and the other starter both had a 3rd foul early in the 3Q. lsu is not a great offensive team but they were very difficult to stop in the second half with 3 defenders on the floor who could NOT defend

i do maintain the refs were terrible in both directions but the mistakes they made ultimately had a far far greater negative impact on iowa and they hurt them on BOTH ends of the floor making it more diffieult for them to score and nearly impossible for them to defend

lsu took advantage of the circumstances they were given and they won the ONE game that counted!! they are national champs but they are not the better team and the refs had far far too much to do with the better team not winning

Comment

• Originally posted by ringthebells View Post

How much of an NIL would it take to keep our recruits at SDSU? I know none of the women's team have been purchased like Baylor, but it will happen at some point. I haven't heard any dollar amounts for women's basketball players and NIL deals. I don't think we can compete with the big boys in football and men's basketball. Maybe in women's basketball we can not only keep ours, but poach a few from other teams. How much cash to snatch up a few from around the Summit League?
                        I don't know, it depends on the person and if they have a lot of NIL deals to ponder vs how much they like a certain school above the others, etc. I think for mid-majors perhaps just enough to help with basic living expenses while in school for 4 years, nothing too extravagant . Most players know that the major thing that will provide for them is their college education, not playing basketball , unless they can be pro's. Anything they can get helps while in collage I'd say. Maybe others can answer your question better with better information, these are just my opinions .

Comment

• Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

I don't know, it depends on the person and if they have a lot of NIL deals to ponder vs how much they like a certain school above the others, etc. I think for mid-majors perhaps just enough to help with basic living expenses while in school for 4 years, nothing too extravagant . Most players know that the major thing that will provide for them is their college education, not playing basketball , unless they can be pro's. Anything they can get helps while in collage I'd say. Maybe others can answer your question better with better information, these are just my opinions .
                          A list I found had the Cavinder sisters at Miami getting 925K each. Angel Reese was at 825K, Paige Bueckers 800K and Caitlin Clark at 407. An LSU gymnast topped the list at over 3 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

A list I found had the Cavinder sisters at Miami getting 925K each. Angel Reese was at 825K, Paige Bueckers 800K and Caitlin Clark at 407. An LSU gymnast topped the list at over 3 million.
                            Wow! That's a lot more than WNBA players are making! Highest salary for 2023 was $252,000. I heard Baylor and everybody on the Creighton roster was getting $16,000/month. I haven't heard of any womens teams getting something similar. I haven't heard of any female NIL deals until I read bigticket's post.
                            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

• Help me connect these dots.....

NIL dollar$ keeps college BB players at universities and attracts them into the transfer portal bidding.
                              https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/pla...ns-basketball/

Meanwhile, the crumbling TV sports empires are bubbles bursting.
                              https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/s...ankruptcy.html

A very un-satisfying endgame may be headed our way in WBB?

Added Links - ​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/nytimes/pos...65766511465254

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/s...smid=url-share
                              Last edited by GrandpaLee; 04-04-2023, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
                                Help me connect these dots.....

NIL dollar$ keeps college BB players at universities and attracts them into the transfer portal bidding.
                                https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/pla...ns-basketball/

Meanwhile, the crumbling TV sports empires are bubbles bursting.
                                https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/s...ankruptcy.html

A very un-satisfying endgame may be headed our way in WBB?
                                I could not access the NYT article. Could you summarize the article? Thank you.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X