WNIT GDT: Bruins vs Jackrabbits 7pm Frost Arena Midco/ESPN3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Sounds like he may be talking about the print edition.
    Yes, at least in some of my comments i was specifically referencing the print version. I do think pirate answered some of that as well. i do now remember that and admit that i was not thinking about it. i wonder does that mean the article about Tylee will show up in print in the next day or two?? OR are there some articles that are ONLY online?? i admit i do not know??

that said i still do believe that their coverage of the two D1 schools in this state is biased and dishonest. they absolutely represent the two schools as if they have equally successful programs. THEY DO NOT!! and they represent the WBB as if usd is the dominant program and sdsu playing catch up. that is NOT the case

sdsu WBB has not had a significant dropoff in talent since losing Macy. we have had some less success due to injuries and usd having the best 3 year period they have ever had. but now usd has lost those players and maybe they will maintain also?? there are a LOT of players in the portal so maybe they can make up the talent gap but at the moment they DO NOT have the talent returning that they lost and they have nothing in the pipeline to suggest that they will be ready to win multiple games in the ncaa again in the next few years

again i AM NOT saying that they cannot do it. i think it would be dumb to think it is NOT possible!! and while i think they jacks have built enough of a national reputation and THEY WOULD BE FINE even if usd went totally in the toilet. i am actually not hoping for that because i think it is a LITTLE better for the rabbits if usd remains very good. i am not rooting either way!! if they remain good it helps the jacks! if they go in the toilet i will be happy to watch that too and i know the jacks will be just fine

but again my point is that the argus does NOT represent these two programs honestly! barring injuries i believe the jacks will be a top 25 team next year with a chance to have a higher seed in the ncaa than what usd had this year. does argus coverage give any indication of that? NO they have talked about usd losing players and coaches but both articles have said that they have such a great program that it does not matter. NOT TRUE and give no indication of how little the jacks have actually dropped off since macy left

beyond WBB they seem to believe that usd is equal to the jacks in FB because they have won two in a row. that is like saying that the jacks have equaled the bison because we have beaten them more often than not in the last several years. MBB is not even worth talking about. they are NOT CLOSE. they have had success in some of the less major sports but the jacks are gaining success and momentum almost athletic program wide at this point

anyway. it is the only paper to a large degree and if some choose to read it i am not trying to make anyone boycott the paper!!! this began with conversation about Newitt being unfair in his coverage of the jacks. i believe that the argus is FAR FAR MORE UNFAIR and i hope that changes but i have not much belief that it will. i do think that having someone cover the jacks who is an ACTUAL FAN of the jacks would help!!! that does not mean they cannot criticize them!!!! obviously jacks fans on this forum criticize the jacks ALL THE TIME

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakPirate View Post
      Several months ago the Argus moved its printing from Sioux Falls to Des Moines. I believe they print it in the afternoon in order to get it South Dakota by midnight. The carriers etc then pick it up for distribution soon thereafter. In addition to the eliminating of many staff members over the years (currently only 2 writers cover ALL the colleges, high schools and professional and semi professional teams in ALL sports in the Sioux Falls area) make it impossible to get good,timely , coverage. They also eliminated the Saturday home delivery. In short, whatever news there is appears two days later.

LetsGoRabbits: SoDakPirate comments above are accurate. The solution to your complaint about the timing of Argus Leader articles about SDSU is to subscribe to the Argus Leader and then you can read Zimmer’s coverage online which is made quickly available, often within a couple hours after the event is concluded. Your subsequent posts make clear you don't want anything to do with the Argus. You have to realize that giving away content is counter-productive for most newspapers. How do you propose a reporter is to be paid if his newspaper-employer is losing money?

The internet has conditioned most of us to expect free information. Because of that, newspapers are shrinking and disappearing. All in the face of questionable reliability of stuff that is available on the internet. I subscribe to the Argus online primarily so that I can read the reporting on SDSU as well as USD and other colleges in the region.

I was at the WNIT Championship game yesterday afternoon. Zimmer’s coverage was available on line within a couple hours. Those same stories probably won’t be in the printed Argus (or the Argus available online via the Argus app which is a “picture” of each page of the printed Argus) until Monday or perhaps Tuesday. There was nothing in today’s (Sunday, 4/3/22) Argus Leader print edition which I access on my iPad using the Argus Leader app. However, I read all of the stories about the WNIT championship game within hours of its conclusion because I have online access to that information since I'm a subscriber. You're free to choose to not subscribe but you are wrong to bitch about Zimmer as you have done.

Zimmer is a good reporter. Sports reporting is different than reporting hard news about politics, crime, street repairs and auto accidents. A good sports writer presents factual, informative and entertaining stories. Zimmer is a good sports writer (I'm not a fan of superlatives and adjectives but if I was, Zimmer deserves a few complimentary adjectives and an occasional superlative).

LetsGoRabbit: I defend your right to express your opinion. But, I hope you realize that newspapers have to make some money to survive. Those who claim they won't have anything to do with a newspaper can certainly take that position but guess what happens if a lot of people do that. Right now we see the consequence of the growth of the internet and the decline in newspaper subscribers.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

LetsGoRabbits: SoDakPirate comments above are accurate. The solution to your complaint about the timing of Argus Leader articles about SDSU is to subscribe to the Argus Leader and then you can read Zimmer’s coverage online which is made quickly available, often within a couple hours after the event is concluded. Your subsequent posts make clear you don't want anything to do with the Argus. You have to realize that giving away content is counter-productive for most newspapers. How do you propose a reporter is to be paid if his newspaper-employer is losing money?

The internet has conditioned most of us to expect free information. Because of that, newspapers are shrinking and disappearing. All in the face of questionable reliability of stuff that is available on the internet. I subscribe to the Argus online primarily so that I can read the reporting on SDSU as well as USD and other colleges in the region.

I was at the WNIT Championship game yesterday afternoon. Zimmer’s coverage was available on line within a couple hours. Those same stories probably won’t be in the printed Argus (or the Argus available online via the Argus app which is a “picture” of each page of the printed Argus) until Monday or perhaps Tuesday. There was nothing in today’s (Sunday, 4/3/22) Argus Leader print edition which I access on my iPad using the Argus Leader app. However, I read all of the stories about the WNIT championship game within hours of its conclusion because I have online access to that information since I'm a subscriber. You're free to choose to not subscribe but you are wrong to bitch about Zimmer as you have done.

Zimmer is a good reporter. Sports reporting is different than reporting hard news about politics, crime, street repairs and auto accidents. A good sports writer presents factual, informative and entertaining stories. Zimmer is a good sports writer (I'm not a fan of superlatives and adjectives but if I was, Zimmer deserves a few complimentary adjectives and an occasional superlative).

LetsGoRabbit: I defend your right to express your opinion. But, I hope you realize that newspapers have to make some money to survive. Those who claim they won't have anything to do with a newspaper can certainly take that position but guess what happens if a lot of people do that. Right now we see the consequence of the growth of the internet and the decline in newspaper subscribers.

hey JD i dont know if you saw what i posted just before this post of yours. i think it speaks to some of this. i TOTALLY understand what you are saying about the internet and reporters needing to be paid!! i think the internet is very largely responsible for a huge part of the decline in quality of the argus. i am happy for everyone to be paid for thier work!!!

to be fair, as i have said, i also do NOT attempt to constantly refresh my browser and read as much content as possible from the argus. i agree that they deserve to be paid and since i do not subscribe, i dont expect or attempt to access the paper too often online. i check headlines. i read a few articles here and there online. and i buy the paper at the gas station from time to time. previously i said probably less than 10 times a year that is probably not accurate. it is more than that but the huge majority of the papers i buy is during this time of year and then very rarely otherwise

i think i have tried to make it clear that my biggest objection to the sports part of the paper is that they do not represent the two D1 athletic programs in the state equally and honestly. SDSU is a far superior program and they do not give that picture to their readers

it is like saying that the vikings and the patriots have had equal success because they have both played in the playoffs and won some games.

and i appreciate that some of you like Mr Zimmer. i am even happy for that. i wish him nothing bad as a person and i hope that does not need to be said!!!! i would just like the person who covers the rabbits at least once in a while to feel like he is bragging a little about all the incredible things this athletic program has achieved because it is really quite remarkable!!!! and at least in my opinion, he very often seems to cover the jacks as if he is waiting and sometimes hoping for them to stumble
        Last edited by LetsGoRabbits; 04-03-2022, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Here's some expansion on how/when the Argus Leader is printed which was summarized by SoDakPirate above. Apologies for the length of the post. Since this is primarily presented as a response to LetsGoJacks, I thought it appropriate to make it a long post as is his custom. Everyone else would probably prefer to skip this.

Note the following: 1) I’m not a fan of the company that owns the Argus and other regional papers; 2) I am not acquainted with Matt Zimmer; and 3) I subscribe to the Argus primarily because of the coverage of SDSU and that means Matt Zimmer. I also read the content on USD and other colleges in the area.

First, some recent history on the Argus Leader and its two new “sister” papers, the Aberdeen American News and the Watertown Public Opinion (I’m from Watertown and my family had a connection for decades with the Watertown paper). The Argus has been a part of Gannett for many years. The Aberdeen and Watertown papers were both acquired by GateHouse Media in a transaction with Schurz Communication in 2019. GateHouse later merged into Gannett and elected to use the Gannett name. [Read about “GateHouse Media” and its acquisition frenzy in Wikipedia. The acquisition of Schurz Communications mentioned in the Wikipedia article is the transaction in which the Aberdeen and Watertown papers were acquired.]

After GateHouse acquired the Aberdeen and Watertown papers, the company determined the Watertown Public Opinion would be printed in Aberdeen and then trucked 90 miles to Watertown for delivery. Not long after that, the newspaper carriers were discharged and the paper was delivered in Watertown by the US Postal Service. I don’t know for sure but I think Aberdeen has also dropped its carriers and uses the Postal Service for delivery.

More recently, about three months or so ago, Gannett moved the printing of the Sioux Falls, Aberdeen and Watertown papers to a printing plant in Des Moines, IA. Each paper now provides its content to a central Gannett facility (I think in Texas) where the news and ads were ‘laid out’ and the pages assembled. The layouts are then electronically transmitted to the Des Moines printing facility and printed. The printed Argus, American News and Public Opinion papers are placed on a truck for delivery to Sioux Falls, Watertown and Aberdeen. That must be accomplished in time for the papers to be delivered very early to the post office in Watertown, for example, so that it was delivered to my house by around noon. I think the Aberdeen paper is also delivered to Aberdeen subscribers by the USPS. I'm not sure how the Argus is delivered in Sioux Falls...they may still use paperboys/girls.

Des Moines to Watertown is a trip taking about six and a half hours in good driving conditions.

I suppose there were cost savings in those moves but think about what those attempts to save money did to production deadlines, and deadlines for story submissions. When Zimmer covers the Jackrabbits playing a game at 7:00 p.m., it is impossible for a story to appear in the next day’s paper. I think a story-submission deadline at the Argus is now 2:00 or 3:00 p.m. to get into the next day’s paper. Fortunately for subscribers, Zimmer writes the story and gets it posted online where subscribers can read it by the next morning (and usually within a couple hours after the game was concluded).

The Argus has provided a workaround for its subscribers: online access to Zimmer’s reporting available promptly after an event. I’m willing to purchase that so I subscribe.to the Argus.

USD has no advantage over SDSU in getting stories in the Argus Leader.

Comment

The Argus is owned by that Gannett Co. They are certainly a survivor of the news industry. That USA paper you used to get at all the hotels is their paper too. Local and state news is what they do for a bare minimum to push the rest of their national coverage. This morning the E edition included coverage of the Women's Championship that was concluded near 10pm last night. It is attached to the news that they use for the print edition delivered to homes. I do miss the morning paper, but I have seen much change over the years that I need to adapt. The Jackrabbits get a fair amount of coverage for not being in Sioux Falls. Zimmer is doing his job vs the old days when TV was enjoying his coverage of Jackrabbits as he would travel the road as often as he could to cover games. Zimmer does a decent job and he has some good writing skills and he has a larger spectrum of coverage. I have to agree with JackJD on the coverage of USD/SDSU.
            Also, my feedback on Newitt is that he does a great job of preparation for visiting opponents. It seems that the familiarity sometimes irritates when he brings that information as an announcer. I have not "felt" he was an anti-Jackrabbit as he brings a few nuggets about SDSU that can be enlightening(eg Theisen has the most FT attempts this season).
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I read today’s (4/4/22) Argus Leader on line. It is simply a pdf version of today’s printed Argus. The stories and reporting on the WNIT title game I read late Saturday night. I didn’t go to the trouble of comparing what I read Saturday to today’s print versions but a quick scan caused me to conclude they’re the same stories.

Comment

These topics are always amusing. Interestingly, you’ll find people on the USD forum complaining about the same thing, from the opposite side, in the same un-ironic style: “I don’t read the Argus but somehow I just know they love SDSU and are VERY biased against USD! Therefore I will never give them any business.”

Personally, if you want to lose my interest in sports journalism, be a homer. BORING. If you want that, just read the articles put out by SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  These topics are always amusing. Interestingly, you’ll find people on the USD forum complaining about the same thing, from the opposite side, in the same un-ironic style: “I don’t read the Argus but somehow I just know they love SDSU and are VERY biased against USD! Therefore I will never give them any business.”

Personally, if you want to lose my interest in sports journalism, be a homer. BORING. If you want that, just read the articles put out by SDSU.
                  They don't read the Argus but always are asking for someone to post an article that is behind a paywall.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

I NEVER said this was the WHOLE reason i do not like the paper. but i see it is time to take the foot off the gas about this. obviously i am not only in the minority about this i am by myself. so that is very good. i am happy that the overwhelming majority of the sdsu community is happy with the coverage.

i stated my opinion, in response to thoughts about Brad Newitt being the most annoying ANTI JACKRABBIT member of the media, and said i much prefer his coverage to that of the states local paper. i gave SOME reasons why i do not like the paper specifically related to sports and the jackrabbits. SOME NOT ALL

JD at least touched on a lot of the other issues. it is a local paper that is NOT LOCAL AT ALL

anyway i stated my opinion. i now understand all of yours as well. i DEFINITELY was not trying to FORCE anyone to agree with me. and i do recognize that the challenges of being printed in des moines are responsible for the lack of coverage in the print edition on sunday. as i said before, i was aware of that but temporarily forgot about it. MY BAD

i think it is obvious that i do not pay that much attention to the paper or it would seem like i would be more aware/ NOT FORGOTTEN about some of these issues.

my opinions are largely unchanged but there is not reason to go on about it. so i will answer one more post and attempt to move on to other hopefully more enjoyable topics. and to whoever it was that thinks i say these things as an attempt to have the last word

you all can keep talking about this as long as you want and if someone says something i feel a desire or wish to respond to then i will do that and have EVERY right to just as you all also have, BUT my intent is to as i said take my foot off the gas in regard to this topic and hope other more enjoyable topics make it disappear

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

They don't read the Argus but always are asking for someone to post an article that is behind a paywall.
                      THIS has NEVER NEVER happened not ONE SINGLE time!!!! so unless you can give some evidence to the contrary there is no need to say things that are 100% untrue. i do a plenty good job all on my own helping people to see my ACTUAL imperfections. i do not need anyone making them up or telling complete lies about what they might be

i am DEFINITELY passionate about the rabbits. i think that is obvious. and some of my thoughts probably push the border of FANatic, although i usually try to keep those at least a little private

in the case of my dislike for the argus i have let the FANatic off the leash a bit more than usual. but i have NEVER written any LIES and to say that i have EVER asked for anyone to post a paywalled article is a complete and total lie

as i said in response to JD i totally understand the paper is a business!!! i totally understand their employees need to be paid!!! i have no interest in trying to keep them from being paid!!! i have already described a couple times how i interact with the paper and i will save you all the pain of repeating it. i purchased the paper again today to see the subscriber only articles about the tournament which could not be in the sunday edition due to being printed in des moines. that is how i see the articles behind the paywall that i want to see

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

THIS has NEVER NEVER happened not ONE SINGLE time!!!! so unless you can give some evidence to the contrary there is no need to say things that are 100% untrue. i do a plenty good job all on my own helping people to see my ACTUAL imperfections. i do not need anyone making them up or telling complete lies about what they might be

i am DEFINITELY passionate about the rabbits. i think that is obvious. and some of my thoughts probably push the border of FANatic, although i usually try to keep those at least a little private

in the case of my dislike for the argus i have let the FANatic off the leash a bit more than usual. but i have NEVER written any LIES and to say that i have EVER asked for anyone to post a paywalled article is a complete and total lie

as i said in response to JD i totally understand the paper is a business!!! i totally understand their employees need to be paid!!! i have no interest in trying to keep them from being paid!!! i have already described a couple times how i interact with the paper and i will save you all the pain of repeating it. i purchased the paper again today to see the subscriber only articles about the tournament which could not be in the sunday edition due to being printed in des moines. that is how i see the articles behind the paywall that i want to see
                        I was talking about the Yote fans who were bitching on Twitter the entire weekend about the Argus being biased against them. Didn't quote your post.

Comment

LGR, This is not all about you. Take a breath and review. Bigticket1 was referring to a yote fan which can be found in today's posts on their board. That is the referral in Southeast post. Please review.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

And I think I speak for the many here on the board - we love your enthusiasm for the Jacks but every time you post it's like reading a novel. Trimming down what you are trying to say with fewer words would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

I was talking about the Yote fans who were bitching on Twitter the entire weekend about the Argus being biased against them. Didn't quote your post.
                              apologies. i did not understand about the usd board. never been on it. know nothing about it. misunderstood. and apparently i might be a bit susceptible to misunderstanding regarding this topic. as i said, attempting to let it go

there are a lot of fun and positive topics to talk about for those of us who call ourselves jackrabbit fans. this is obviously not one of them. sorry for making such a big deal out of it!! MY BAD!!!!

Comment

apologies. i did not understand about the usd board. never been on it. know nothing about it. misunderstood. and apparently i might be a bit susceptible to misunderstanding regarding this topic. as i said, attempting to let it go

there are a lot of fun and positive topics to talk about for those of us who call ourselves jackrabbit fans. this is obviously not one of them. sorry for making such a big deal out of it!! MY BAD!!!!
                                Not a problem. Just don't like to get in trouble for things I didn't say - can get into enough with things I do say.

Comment

Working...
                                X