This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
    I don't think some people realize how good Brooklyn Meyer is.
    I don't underestimate her at all, I think she's going to be fantastic for the Jacks. Can't wait until she gets here. I know you said "some" people, but I'm not one of those, and I think if there are some who underestimate her, they will find out otherwise fairly quickly I suspect. i don't think there are too many anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

Just to counter their top 6'5" athletic post player, bless their hearts they battle hard , but Kallie and Payton are just giving up too much height to contain them for too long. It irritates me when they camp out under the basket, wait for a lob, turn around and make a lay in for them, time and time again and we are helpless to do anything about it.We have done incredibly well over the years with posts 6'2 and under, Bultsma the exception, I'm quite astonished by this, to be frank. Great coaching.
      while i just spoke about this. and i do agree that elite post players make a difference. they are not exactly common.

and TRULY, how many times have the jacks been hurt badly by a bigger post?? actually i would say that hanna sjerven hurt the jacks as much or more than any other post they have ever played

but for the most part i think we have defended these players well enough and definitely rebounded well enough. we have mostly struggled do score inside against them, but in the D1 era we have not exactly depended on post scoring from our post players. BY FAR the team i remember that hurt us with bigger posts was Oregon

but those were not just bigger posts!! they were wnba lottery picks and they had TWO on the same team and they also had bigger guards and one of those the best player in the country!! obviously NOT every team has that combination and if they do, you should expect it to be a tough game

but the jacks did not get embarrassed in those games either!!!

the big girl from alabama did not dominate the jacks! she scored ok but not dominant! we kept her off the boards!

the post from ucla who kicked our butt scoring wise was only 6 feet tall, NOT a bigger post, just very skilled as a scorer

Comment

• From Earlier:

I don't think some people realize how good Brooklyn Meyer is.

Yessiree

Comment

• If you have really elite players who can shoot too in positions 1-5 on the floor , with 1,2, or 3 about the same on the bench , you can greatly diminish pure size. Case in point, during the South point shootout in Vegas, we played Baylor the whole game neck- and- neck for the whole game and pushed them about as hard as they wanted to be pushed, down 68-66 with 20 seconds left, and lost by 6 pts, 72-66. On that team they had 6'4" Lauren Cox and 6" 7" Kalani Brown as starters. They ended up as National Champions that year, in 2018-2019 beating Notre Dame 82-81 in the NCAA Tournament National Championship game. Maddie Guebert had 6 three's , that helped a lot, but all the Jacks played well.
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-06-2022, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• i just heard rumor that Paige will not play next year. that her knee injury was very extensive. to me this is still just a rumor and should be taken with a grain of salt!!! but this person knows the program well. maybe it seems like we have had others return fast so why not paige? maybe it seems weird that Myah could return in a similar time frame and macy had a little longer to recover but was very effective immediately. but not every ACL is the same

when my son did his the first doctor predicted an 18-20 month recovery. so they are NOT all the same

same person who said this about paige, also said that the jacks are comfortable with the incoming players to handle it because the incoming class is capital S, Special!!!!

AGAIN, these are still rumors and they are worth what rumors are worth!!! i dont think i have really engaged before in rumors this way. but i do trust this person and it seemed very relevant to the current conversation. STILL it may all prove to be ONLY RUMORS

BIG bummer for paige!!! but i have always thought it would be best to let her get FULLY healthy instead of rushing back and playing at a lesser version of herself. it was different for Myah because she has already been here so long and i am sure was not looking to add another year

the part of all of it i found most meaningful, is this person knows the program well and stated that the coaches are VERY excited about the incoming group. also i think i mentioned it before, but i have been told that brooklyn actually has VERY GOOD perimeter skills!!! made her actually sound a lot like Myah

Comment

• Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              If you have really elite players who can shoot too in positions 1-5 on the floor , with 1,2, or 3 about the same on the bench , you can greatly diminish pure size. Case in point, during the South point shootout in Vegas, we played Baylor the whole game neck- and- neck for the whole game and pushed them about as hard as they wanted to be pushed and lost by 6 pts, 72-66. On that team they had 6'4" Lauren Cox and 6" 7" Kalani Brown as starters. They ended up as National Champions that year, in 2018-2019 beating Notre Dame 82-81 in the NCAA Tournament National Championship game.
              yes i was thinking of the exact same example!!! they did not hurt us as much as the Oregon posts did, but that would be the next game i thought of. and YES even though their posts hurt us we were able to overcome it with excellent all around play
              Last edited by LetsGoRabbits; 04-06-2022, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• I know we can't get them all and especially some of the really elite players who for one reason or another are going to P5 schools, but perhaps they would consider transferring back to be closer to home at some point. Some examples include Sydni Schetan 6'5 center who played at Sioux Falls Washington and was #10 post in the country her senior year and just finished her freshman year at final four Louisville where she is playing both basketball and volleyball. Got very little playing time this year, but understanable for a team with that much talent. I think volleyball is her preferred sport and may have to make a decision at some point. The other is Ndjakalenga Mwentanda who just completed her senior year at Sioux Falls Washington and is a 6'2 guard and the #10 recruit in the country for 2022 and headed to Texas. Be nice to get some of these caliber players to stay home, but perhaps unrealistic.

Comment

• USD freshman guard Maddie Krull entered the transfer portal. Think our coaches would talk to a player from the branch campus?

Comment

• Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    USD freshman guard Maddie Krull entered the transfer portal. Think our coaches would talk to a player from the branch campus?
                    I am guessing we would have a better chance at landing Watson than Krull, but both seem very unlikely IMO. I could see Creighton as a good landing spot for Krull.

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      I know we can't get them all and especially some of the really elite players who for one reason or another are going to P5 schools, but perhaps they would consider transferring back to be closer to home at some point. Some examples include Sydni Schetan 6'5 center who played at Sioux Falls Washington and was #10 post in the country her senior year and just finished her freshman year at final four Louisville where she is playing both basketball and volleyball. Got very little playing time this year, but understanable for a team with that much talent. I think volleyball is her preferred sport and may have to make a decision at some point. The other is Ndjakalenga Mwentanda who just completed her senior year at Sioux Falls Washington and is a 6'2 guard and the #10 recruit in the country for 2022 and headed to Texas. Be nice to get some of these caliber players to stay home, but perhaps unrealistic.
                      Want video of SF Washington versus STM in Jan 2021 at Sioux Falls?? Guess who won and how ....

Comment

• I think the most likely reason for Krull/Watson to jump ship is to join DP at WVU. WVU is a low level P5 program and we have seen that high level mid major players can play at low level P5 programs. Krull was a top 100 recruit, so I think it almost a given that she joins DP at WVU as she has the recruiting pedigree on top of familiarity with the coaching staff. Watson I'm less sure about, but I think it's most likely she ends up staying put or following DP as well. From just a quick look at WVU, they have 8 players and 3 of those are seniors. So would make sense for the new staff to bring along a couple of girls they trust and believe in. Plus it gives the players the opportunity for that P5 label even if the success doesn't match. But I think it highly unlikely that either of them joins us.

As for the upcoming class, I'm pretty sure AJ has never recruited a girl to come here that he thought didn't have the ability to play for us. So while I like the upcoming class, they are freshman and it is prudent to have some depth to allow them to develop slowly and not have the expectations right away. Paige was the exception because we simply had no quality at that position and she was just that good. But look what happened with Timmer by allowing her to develop over the course of the season. That is likely the best route to go with the incoming class. Could either of the guards come in and run the PG effectively from day 1? Maybe, but also maybe not. But wouldn't it be better to have an established PG and allow the freshman to develop slowly? I think so. And lets be real, it's much easier to add a quality PG from the portal than a quality 6'3" post player.

Now, do I think Brooklyn Meyer is going to be a stud? Yes I do. And it's nice to have another couple of developmental players in Byom and Nielsen. I think they both have the physical ability to become quality players for us and give us better height/depth down low. Now will that happen? I guess time will tell. If a Shetnan or other quality big fell in our lap, well that is why AJ leaves that open recruiting slot. But I would be all for kicking the tires on Emma Grothaus from Lehigh. Is from Minnesota, 6'3", 12.6 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 55 blocked shots, 38% from 3. Seems like a nice fit to add to the rotation for a one year depth player.
                        Last edited by SteelSD; 04-06-2022, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Walker Demmers out of Grafton ND, committed to USD last week. 6’3” junior graduating early so she can play next year. Number 2 in the state. Don’t know if AJ had recruited her or not, but with DP leaving maybe someone to look at.

Comment

• Sioux City coverage for Brooklyn Meyer
                            https://twitter.com/SportsZoneKCAU9/...24136267980804
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

• http://twitter.com/Coach_AJ/status/1512852709543608322

I'm hoping this is who I think it is!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackrabbit2012 View Post
                                http://twitter.com/Coach_AJ/status/1512852709543608322

I'm hoping this is who I think it is!!
                                Well, we’re waiting!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X