Dear ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dear ESPN

It's amazing how many posts I've typed out in the past couple of days, and then not actually posted.

I think the world is better for that, honestly.

(This is not in reference to anybody's post here. I just thought I'd get that off my chest--I had a nice little rant on that Stanford woman typed out, and decided to just let it go. I had another (couple) in the Stu thread going, and went Zen there, too.)

Can't wait to see who our ladies draw in the tournament . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It goes both ways, of course:

Aztecs get No. 2 seed in West Region

By Mark Zeigler

Early in the NCAA Tournament Selection Show, CBS put up a graphic of the nation’s elite teams and listed “SD St.,” an abbreviation more commonly associated with South Dakota State (which has been Division I for less than a decade) and one that drives identity-conscious SDSU officials absolutely bonkers.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I rewatched the tourney game again on dvr and this time listened to the play by play. was helping six year old daughter with her reading homework the first time. It was not pleasant to listen too. Neither women had a voice made for tv or radio and the crowd overpowered them most of the time (good job Jacks fans, bad job ESPN directors and sound person) first criteria for me is if I were hiring announcers and color is how do they sound, screatchy (Onuwunde), growley (OU announcer)or pleasant, (Fran Franchilla sp?). Megan Vogel did an excellent job, so does Laurie Mellum.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          Then you are a Duke fan. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
          That may be, but how Bilas talked about other teams in the tourny and mentioned Oakland, I was impressed with his comments. He is not a homer IMO.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            That may be, but how Bilas talked about other teams in the tourny and mentioned Oakland, I was impressed with his comments. He is not a homer IMO.
            Yeah, I probably shouldn't have included Bilas in my previous comment. He at least tries to be objective. Vitale just says whatever is on his mind regardless of whats happening on the court, and that's usually his bromance with Coach K.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

just got another San Diego State on sports center... ESPN is horrible!n 10:42 PM

Comment

In Dick Vitale's defense:
                My family attended the Final Four in Minneapolis in 2001. Sportcenter was set up in the Crystal Court of the IDS Center. Prior to the show, Dick V was out in the crowd signing autographs and being absolutely the friendliest guy in the building. Everyone loved him and he was sincere about stopping to pose for pictures, answer questions, shake hands etc.

I remember watching Digger Phelps shuffle out and take his place behind the desk and then sit there like his battery was dead. When the cameras lit up, somebody plugged him in and he seemed to operate without great difficulty. Rece Davis was all business but that seemed okay -- he was running the show and he was making sure he was prepared to deliver.

A couple minutes before the show was to start, the floor producers were after Vitale to get him on the stage but over and over again he told the producers he was going to sign one more autograph, pose for one more picture and shake one more hand. Finally, Vitale waved and said he had to get on stage and everyone assembled gave him a great round of applause.

I had a neutral opinion of the guy prior to watching the Sportcenter crew set up. After watching him mingle with the crowd, I thought he was sincerely a nice guy, genuinely happy to be around people. (Reminded me of Kirby Puckett surrounded by fans...ever see that?) My opinion of Dick Vitale went way up and it will always remain high.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  In Dick Vitale's defense:
                  My family attended the Final Four in Minneapolis in 2001. Sportcenter was set up in the Crystal Court of the IDS Center. Prior to the show, Dick V was out in the crowd signing autographs and being absolutely the friendliest guy in the building. Everyone loved him and he was sincere about stopping to pose for pictures, answer questions, shake hands etc.

I remember watching Digger Phelps shuffle out and take his place behind the desk and then sit there like his battery was dead. When the cameras lit up, somebody plugged him in and he seemed to operate without great difficulty. Rece Davis was all business but that seemed okay -- he was running the show and he was making sure he was prepared to deliver.

A couple minutes before the show was to start, the floor producers were after Vitale to get him on the stage but over and over again he told the producers he was going to sign one more autograph, pose for one more picture and shake one more hand. Finally, Vitale waved and said he had to get on stage and everyone assembled gave him a great round of applause.

I had a neutral opinion of the guy prior to watching the Sportcenter crew set up. After watching him mingle with the crowd, I thought he was sincerely a nice guy, genuinely happy to be around people. (Reminded me of Kirby Puckett surrounded by fans...ever see that?) My opinion of Dick Vitale went way up and it will always remain high.
                  My first recollection of Dick Vitale was him doing the D2 bb championship in 1985. He just could not get over how Mark Tetzlaff came from such a small town Hayti SD, less than 500 people. He was very compliementry of Mark's skills. After that game I became a Dick Fan, as his reaction to South Dakota was very typical for some one who had spent a number of years in Detrioit. He did not do real well as a coach when he coached Detriot U. One game he got so disgusted with his guys play that he went sat in the crowd.

Comment

Here is the Chuck Raasch interview were he talks about his column about the SDSU/San Diego State problems.

MP3: http://www.archive.org/details/ChuckRaaschInterview_643
                    MP4: http://www.archive.org/details/ChuckRaaschInterview

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...Us?odyssey=nav
                    Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                    Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Working...
                    X